Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Stare-Out posted:

Well, Peace Walker is the main reason I'm buying it, having never played it before. MGS2 and 3 in HD are just a bonus. But I'm drat near reconsidering switching one my pre-orders for Arkham City. That poo poo looks so drat good.

After almost a year long period of not buying any games (apart from the Team Ico collection but that was cheap), they release all this stuff so close to each other. If Mass Effect 3 hadn't been delayed, I'd be starving until Christmas.

Be careful with Peace walker and do some research on it. I own it on PSP and while its a drat fine game for the PSP, I think people are going to be disappointed when it moves to a console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

Be careful with Peace walker and do some research on it. I own it on PSP and while its a drat fine game for the PSP, I think people are going to be disappointed when it moves to a console.
I've researched it ever since it came out, and nearly bought the PSP just for it. Why do you think it'll be disappointing? I'm genuinely curious.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Stelas posted:

I did him by EMPing him immediately, hiding behind pillars, and throwing gas cans at him... but quite honestly, with hindsight, my strategy for every single DX boss would be 'hit the Tempest button twice'.

I've platted the game and I've never heard of a Tempest button.

For the first boss, hit him with either your taser or an EMP grenade and then open up on him with your heavy weaponry while he's in his stun animation. Shouldn't take more than two or three rounds of that.

You know, I'd started to think that I'd gotten really bad at Shadow of the Colossus but there seems to be a widespread consensus on multiple forums that the PS3 version is quite a bit harder than the PS2 version. The main cause of this seems to be that Wander gets shaken around much more easily, to the point that even if the colossus is just walking and not actively shaking, Wander still loses his balance and this makes it very hard to get a hit in on some colossi. Many people are saying that some of the time attacks are now nearly impossible because of this. It wasn't that big of a deal to me but it's definitely noticeable. Hopefully they'll patch it. :\

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

...! posted:

I've platted the game and I've never heard of a Tempest button.

For the first boss, hit him with either your taser or an EMP grenade and then open up on him with your heavy weaponry while he's in his stun animation. Shouldn't take more than two or three rounds of that.

You know, I'd started to think that I'd gotten really bad at Shadow of the Colossus but there seems to be a widespread consensus on multiple forums that the PS3 version is quite a bit harder than the PS2 version. The main cause of this seems to be that Wander gets shaken around much more easily, to the point that even if the colossus is just walking and not actively shaking, Wander still loses his balance and this makes it very hard to get a hit in on some colossi. Many people are saying that some of the time attacks are now nearly impossible because of this. It wasn't that big of a deal to me but it's definitely noticeable. Hopefully they'll patch it. :\

I'm sure he means Typhoon. Which is hands down the best way to cheese every boss fight.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

I've researched it ever since it came out, and nearly bought the PSP just for it. Why do you think it'll be disappointing? I'm genuinely curious.

I mean there are large chunks of the game that was made with a portable in mind.

1) Many of the areas are reused, and its a pretty small game world
2) The AI is pretty dumb and stealth is pretty trivial after you get the sneaking suit.
3) I think many of the bosses leave something to be desired. Although the story mode bosses are ok but the post game ones are excruciating.
4) The whole recruitment system

It was a rather fun diversion though.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah, my bad. All I could remember is it involved wind metaphors and poo poo flying everywhere.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

I mean there are large chunks of the game that was made with a portable in mind.

1) Many of the areas are reused, and its a pretty small game world
2) The AI is pretty dumb and stealth is pretty trivial after you get the sneaking suit.
3) I think many of the bosses leave something to be desired. Although the story mode bosses are ok but the post game ones are excruciating.
4) The whole recruitment system

It was a rather fun diversion though.
There are a lot of things I'm willing to let slide, I'm aware that it's a game made for a portable system but from what I've seen of the gameplay it looks like a lot of fun to me. I know some features have been stripped down or even removed but again, I know it wasn't meant to be a console game. On top of that, I'm one of those people who play MGS games for the story as well as stealth shenanigans.

Pyruvate
Apr 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Code Jockey posted:

Yakuza 4 is a stellar one.
This just came in the mail today, anything I should know before I jump in?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pyruvate posted:

This just came in the mail today, anything I should know before I jump in?
Ugly looking guys in bad suits will attack you. Punch them.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Samurai Sanders posted:

Ugly looking guys in bad suits will attack you. Punch them.

Punch everyone.

Leave no face in Kamurocho unpunched.

Also, there is no such thing as "a quick trip to the mahjong parlor" or "a quick game of pachinko". Jesus, so much time I sank into that. It's fitting of Akiyama's character, though. I was merely roleplaying. :colbert:

But yeah be ready for one hell of a game

e. Also, ugly guys in amazing suits. Also you're going to beat up Japanese George Washington at some point.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Pachinko in Yakuza is devised by Satan. I've played actual pachinko that's more fun and fair than that Virtua Fighter machine.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Policenaut posted:

Pachinko in Yakuza is devised by Satan. I've played actual pachinko that's more fun and fair than that Virtua Fighter machine.

And yet I couldn't stop playing it

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

The pachinko in Yakuza 4 is the only one I've ever tried, and it was bad enough that I don't even really want to try another game. I don't really like slot machines either, which may have something to do with it.

Mahjong, on the other hand. The first thing I did with every character, as soon as possible, was go to the mahjong parlor and win the ladder tournament. Totally worth it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I'm really bad at mahjong, still learning all of the different combinations and strategies, but still had fun getting my rear end beat. :v:

I spent a ridiculous amount of time in the gambling halls too.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Kaleidoscope posted:

The current rumor is the first PSN update of the month until they change their minds.

At least it's better than nothing, assuming they're planning on releasing 3-4 at a time.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Palleon posted:

I'm sure he means Typhoon. Which is hands down the best way to cheese every boss fight.

Except the third boss fight. There's a much easier way to cheese that fight.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So for anyone not really keeping up with Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, there's a new mode which is basically the Vs. Capcom equivalent of Smash Bros. items.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3k5WcicY_0

revolther
May 27, 2008
With Deus Ex I was so worried about the no kills trophy I took down the first boss by alternating between stun gun and a fire extinguisher to the face, which seemed more humane than exploding barrels. I didn't think to check the trophy list until the second boss fight, which really seemed like non-lethal should be possible. The typhoon was nothing special, and the bosses were by far the only real challenge to the game, that's like ruining the one chance to go apeshit unhidden, why cut it short?

Edit: that first boss fight looked like you could end it non lethally by dropping the craneload of barrels on the guy, the company that made the boss fights seem to have left bread crumbs of alternate solutions. Am I the only one?

revolther fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 18, 2011

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

More like quit when you hit 5-2 like I did, pick the game back up 8 months later, finally unlock the shortcut in 5-2 then put it down again because it's better to relish that little victory than let that sonofabitch game crush my soul again drat it

Flame lurker made me grind like poo poo, but 5-2 was what made me quit for a few months.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Hey, new PS3 owner, these rat bastards failed to mention that you should get Heavy Rain and Valkyria Chronicles. Both exclusives, both are amazing. I play most games on 360, so my PS3 is for exclusives, and these games were totally worth picking up the console for.

Someone mentioned The Saboteur, and that's my favourite sandbox. Pick that up too, criminally underrated game.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Probably because several people think Heavy Rain is awful and Valkyria Chronicles is a pretty specific niche.

Haven't played The Saboteur myself, but it looks nice from what I've seen of it. Also apparently riddled with glitches, which is what I usually hear about more.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Heavy Rain is worth playing once. I can see how some people might have been mad if they paid full price for it on release, but I'm sure there are a few cheap second hand copies hanging around.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Parkingtigers posted:

Hey, new PS3 owner, these rat bastards failed to mention that you should get Heavy Rain and Valkyria Chronicles. Both exclusives, both are amazing. I play most games on 360, so my PS3 is for exclusives, and these games were totally worth picking up the console for.

Someone mentioned The Saboteur, and that's my favourite sandbox. Pick that up too, criminally underrated game.

I don't often recommend Valkyria Chronicles to people. As much as I love it, I know it's for a very specific set of people that can put up with alot of anime.

Heavy Rain is worth a rental, at least.

I've heard alot of differing opinions on The Saboteur. I really like it, and it's one of my favorite games of this generation, but I know a few people that absolutely hate it, while most people just fall into the "meh" category, so you don't see it recommended much. I'd recommend it, though, if you like sandbox games and explosions.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

SpacePig posted:

I've heard alot of differing opinions on The Saboteur. I really like it, and it's one of my favorite games of this generation, but I know a few people that absolutely hate it, while most people just fall into the "meh" category, so you don't see it recommended much. I'd recommend it, though, if you like sandbox games and explosions.

The action in The Saboteur is great. The problem is that you spend half of it not playing the actual game, but driving slow cars for miles to get to the next mission in a transparent attempt to pad out the game.

Mafia 2 has the same problem, but worse, because they cut out a ton of content so they could sell it as DLC. That DLC never materialized because nobody bought the game because it was lacking all that content.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Vertigus posted:

The action in The Saboteur is great. The problem is that you spend half of it not playing the actual game, but driving slow cars for miles to get to the next mission in a transparent attempt to pad out the game.

Mafia 2 has the same problem, but worse, because they cut out a ton of content so they could sell it as DLC. That DLC never materialized because nobody bought the game because it was lacking all that content.

I agree with this. The driving is the worst part about the Saboteur. But the action is awesome. If there was more action and less driving, I would like it a lot more, but as it stands, they give you a huge map and make it a chore to drive around

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

A big problem about The Saboteur is that it lacks a general purpose auto-save.

It has one for completing missions, but if you finish the game and want to dick around doing all the freeform objectives (of which there's like 1000+) then you have to constantly remember to save in case the game freezes and you lose hours of work. I shelved the game for months after I went like 6 hours cleaning up half of France only to have the game crash before I could remember to save.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Rent Heavy Rain. Play it once, live with your decisions and failures, don't retry a section no matter what. Beat it, then promptly return it and never touch it again or read anything else about it, and live the rest of your life believing it to be one of the most revolutionary games of all time.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Crappy Jack posted:

Rent Heavy Rain. Play it once, live with your decisions and failures, don't retry a section no matter what. Beat it, then promptly return it and never touch it again or read anything else about it, and live the rest of your life believing it to be one of the most revolutionary games of all time.

Heavy Rain has one of most intense scenes I've ever played. Big spoiler: The chopping off your finger scene

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

The Drop: Week of October 17th

Payday: The Heist finally comes out today and is free for anyone that bought all the PLAY promotion games.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I'm a little late on the Dark Soul's difficulty conversation, but here's my take. Both soul games are essentially puzzle games at their core. If you can figure out a few key concepts such as how the crafting system works, when to apply which elemental resin to your weapon, and that despite how scary that boss looks you can actually block 99% of his moves then the games aren't that difficult. Before you learn those things though the game seems impossibly difficult and every boss or hard area seems like an unstoppable death trap.

The difficulty of the two games is around the same (if you ignore the crystal ring shield and iron flesh spell that make Dark Souls ridiculously easy), but if you already beat Demon Souls than the sequel should be a pushover since you already know the tricks and From didn't change the core gameplay at all. I beat most bosses in one try and max 3 tries on the difficult ones with a melee character and my roomate did the same with a mage. The areas weren't bad either unless they were made difficult by external means like the horrendous framerate in blighttown. Even the so called hardest area in the game isn't bad at all if you know you can find an item that helps you through in a different part of the game.

I really don't know how people who have played Demon Souls to completion are having trouble with dark souls unless they brute forced their way through the first one without really learning how the game works.

Edit: Actually I'd say Dark Souls is a lot easier than Demon Souls simply because of how badly you can abuse iron flesh spell and the butterfly crystal shield. Using even one of these makes the game laughably easy and if you did both you could probably beat the game by standing their and mashing the L2 button while cooking dinner at the same time.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 18, 2011

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

the truth posted:

Flame lurker made me grind like poo poo, but 5-2 was what made me quit for a few months.

Yeeeeep, this exactly. Flamelurker made me grind for a magic damage based spear, then I managed to take him out with relative ease [still incredibly tense fight though]

Also I feel pretty bad not recommending The Saboteur. Still my only plat. Very very fun game, and if you really get into it, there's a lot to do. Hope you like exploding Nazis!

[which you should, of course]

Take Policenaut's advice though. The game isn't the buggiest I've ever played [god drat it New Vegas] but it did lock up on me a few times, and a few of those were during my run at the platinum, meaning I lost an assload of progress each time. Save save save!

And yeah Valkyria is a very very good game but requires animu tolerance, which not everyone has. It makes it easier if you just learn to mentally block out Alicia's voice. :v:

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

MrMidnight posted:

Heavy Rain has one of most intense scenes I've ever played. Big spoiler: The chopping off your finger scene
The "I'm a father too" scene was pretty cool too, especially if like me you didn't hesitate.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
The thing I find most interesting about Heavy Rain is the director saying, essentially, "Just play it once, and never again. That's your story. Talking with other people about it is cool, but you won't have the same story" and he was totally right.

MrMidnight posted:

Heavy Rain has one of most intense scenes I've ever played.

I like how there's always a choice in Heavy Rain, even in this scene.

It was interesting for me to see the scene in the spoiler. I knew it existed, so I handed off the controller to a friend for the scene.

I've never seen someone actually hesitate and consider if they really want to take an action in a video game before. He managed to pull it off, but he was having a seriously tough time performing the motions, even when he knew what they were.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

And yeah Valkyria is a very very good game but requires animu tolerance, which not everyone has. It makes it easier if you just learn to mentally block out Alicia's voice. :v:

It also takes a pretty huge time commitment to actually accomplish anything, you can't really play in short bursts at all.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

bbcisdabomb posted:

The thing I find most interesting about Heavy Rain is the director saying, essentially, "Just play it once, and never again. That's your story. Talking with other people about it is cool, but you won't have the same story" and he was totally right.

If my game was so full of illusion of choice, I'd probably ask people not to replay it either. Heavy Rain is probably the biggest offender of this I've seen since my second playthrough of ME1 where I found several cases of all three dialogue choices leading to the same result.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

DLC "season pass" announced for Uncharted 3.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...n=U3Club_101811

Because I don't care about skins at all and I don't know how much the map packs are going to cost on their own, I'm not sure if this is a good deal.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

the truth posted:

DLC "season pass" announced for Uncharted 3.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...n=U3Club_101811

Because I don't care about skins at all and I don't know how much the map packs are going to cost on their own, I'm not sure if this is a good deal.

I can't imagine you'll end up losing money, since there are only three skins packs and a supposed 20 dollar savings ($25 for pre-order, valued at "over $45.00"). The skins packs for Uncharted 2 were between $3 and $6, so I doubt three packs will end up being 20 bucks.

Of course, that doesn't mean you'll save more than a few dollars if you don't use the skins. It also takes away the ability to opt out if you decide that the multiplayer isn't your thing. (For example, I would have considered a deal like that for Killzone 3 based on the multiplayer beta, but ended up trading the game in after a couple of months.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Awesome thing about Batman, the on screen waypoint indicator is the Batsignal.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Like a bat signal projected in the sky over your target destination, or just a bat signal icon on the screen? The first could be pretty badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

revolther posted:

Like a bat signal projected in the sky over your target destination, or just a bat signal icon on the screen? The first could be pretty badass.

Full on bat signal in the sky.

• Locked thread