Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Z-Magic posted:

I assume that's his arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
"Sometimes two heads are simply more than one"

Why yes, this is true. I'd even go so far as to say that two heads are always more than one.

:psyduck:

Can somebody who has seen this movie please tell me whether there is something in the movie that makes that line make sense?

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

Grendels Dad posted:

"Sometimes two heads are simply more than one"

Why yes, this is true. I'd even go so far as to say that two heads are always more than one.

:psyduck:

Can somebody who has seen this movie please tell me whether there is something in the movie that makes that line make sense?

Sometimes, instead of two heads being BETTER than one, two heads is just MORE than one.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Who has them in the headlock? Is it Van Hammer?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Sir Jebus posted:

Sometimes, instead of two heads being BETTER than one, two heads is just MORE than one.

But two heads are still more than one even if they're also better than one, WCW breaks my brain.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

The American Dream posted:

If you haven't read Jericho's book, he wanted Goldberg to squash the poo poo out of him for the payoff but Goldberg was mad because he was on vacation for the PPV so he refused to do it. Also he didn't "get" what Jericho was doing in the feud.

Fall Brawl would be considered a "Big 4" event for WCW right. Basically their Royal Rubmle in the road to Starrcade.

How was Jericho even allowed to go out there any do that stuff if there wasn't going to be a payoff to it? I know, WCW, but still...

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Astro7x posted:

How was Jericho even allowed to go out there any do that stuff if there wasn't going to be a payoff to it? I know, WCW, but still...

I can't remember exactly how it went down, but I think Jericho was basically given enough permission where he could go out and do it every week, but no one actually sat down with Goldberg to discuss it. I know it seems like very basic stuff, that you should do this and plan it out before starting it, but as you say, WCW.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Grendels Dad posted:

But two heads are still more than one even if they're also better than one, WCW breaks my brain.

Yes, but what it's saying is instead of two heads being better than one AND more than one, that sometimes two heads are ONLY more than one. Two heads being more than one is assumed in the phrase "two heads are better than one."

Jesus christ I just tried to rationalize the marketing for Ready to Rumble.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Astro7x posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ1HXCd7NSo

I loved that angle. I love that particular bit still has all the markings of the WCW production staff.

The door popping open when Jericho pulls it open while he pretends its locked, someone else opening the other door, and at the end the cameras run too long as Wrath runs past a standing Jericho.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I wonder how WCW's storyline planning compares with WWE today. Was an average Nitro scrapped and rewritten as much as an average Raw today?

Edit: Actually I'm going to send this into Meltzer, since he was in contact with lots of people on the inside of WCW at the time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

I wonder how WCW's storyline planning compares with WWE today. Was an average Nitro scrapped and rewritten as much as an average Raw today?

Edit: Actually I'm going to send this into Meltzer, since he was in contact with lots of people on the inside of WCW at the time.

Nitro was often being rewritten while the show was on the air.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'd just like to say that Ready to Rumble is a fun movie.

Oliver Platt is a better Jerry Lawler than Jerry Lawler.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

MrBling posted:

I'd just like to say that Ready to Rumble is a fun movie.

I WILL RUUUUUUULE YOUUUUU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

MassRayPer posted:

occasionally it was rewritten while on air in response to what WWF was doing on the other side

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MrBling posted:

Agreed 1,000 per cent.

"I think you're sexy, Gene, I really do."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

MassRayPer posted:

And to make things better the announcers were never told anything. So you'd get sequences like where they bragged about not having DQ finishes like at the competition, then three matches would end in DQs.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Grendels Dad posted:

All it's saying is that those two guys are dumb. How loving hard is it to wrap your head around that?

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MassRayPer posted:

Someone was writing that crap? I thought they just got the performers drunk and recorded the outcome.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Maxwell Lord posted:

And to make things better the announcers were never told anything. So you'd get sequences like where they bragged about not having DQ finishes like at the competition, then three matches would end in DQs.

Other time Tony would know the finish and refuse to tell Brain or whomever else was in the booth so he could look smart.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The thing about WCW is that at many points they'd only plan out angles for the main-event and then just point at two guys and be like, "Go. You win. You lose. You're face. You're heel. Do it." So much to the point that guys like Jericho got to just get on a mic and make poo poo up and get over. I actually prefer this to today's "SCRIPT loving EVERYTIHNG" notion of booking.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Moose Bigelow posted:

Other time Tony would know the finish and refuse to tell Brain or whomever else was in the booth so he could look smart.

Then again, last time Bobby knew a finish he almost blew it (Bash '96) though sometimes I wonder if that was just Heenan not playing along to the angle.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lone Rogue posted:

Then again, last time Bobby knew a finish he almost blew it (Bash '96) though sometimes I wonder if that was just Heenan not playing along to the angle.

Well Heenan was always like this. He would always talking about how cowardly Hogan is.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lone Rogue posted:

Heenan didn't know the finish to that match.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

LividLiquid posted:

The thing about WCW is that at many points they'd only plan out angles for the main-event and then just point at two guys and be like, "Go. You win. You lose. You're face. You're heel. Do it." So much to the point that guys like Jericho got to just get on a mic and make poo poo up and get over. I actually prefer this to today's "SCRIPT loving EVERYTIHNG" notion of booking.

In a way, I agree: wrestling promos today almost hinge on ab-libbing and reacting to what the audience reacts too. But, leave it to WCW to screw that up by allowing Scott Steiner to shoot on people and either get suspended or piss off DDP.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

MassRayPer posted:

Heenan didn't know the finish to that match.

Probably should've been told on that one.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChampRamp posted:

Probably should've been told on that one.

I don't think it mattered either way. It fit Heenan's character and it's not like it took anything away from the turn.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

MassRayPer posted:

I don't think it mattered either way. It fit Heenan's character and it's not like it took anything away from the turn.

Eh, I mean there were ways to do the heel thing without predicting the turn. It didn't hurt it terribly or anything, I just would've preferred him to say something like "Oh jeez, not this guy again" or kept his mouth shut.

Still love the brain regardless.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

In a way, I agree: wrestling promos today almost hinge on ab-libbing and reacting to what the audience reacts too. But, leave it to WCW to screw that up by allowing Scott Steiner to shoot on people and either get suspended or piss off DDP.

Reminder that when Steiner got suspended it was with pay because everyone was legit terrified of him.

There's a happy medium between scripting the poo poo out of every segment and just giving guys the green light to say whatever the hell they want. Certain guys need to be scripted but I don't see why, if you have an exceptional talent, you'd want to let him go out there and do his thing.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Didn't they often not show vignettes or whatever to the announcers to (only to the TV audience) so things would happen but the announcers wouldn't know about it? Or was that only for Flair in the desert?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Suben posted:

Didn't they often not show vignettes or whatever to the announcers to (only to the TV audience) so things would happen but the announcers wouldn't know about it? Or was that only for Flair in the desert?

For a while they took away the announcers monitors for one reason or another, so not only did they not see some of the backstage segments but during clusterfuck matches they had no idea what the camera was focusing on.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Skinty McEdger posted:

For a while they took away the announcers monitors for one reason or another, so not only did they not see some of the backstage segments but during clusterfuck matches they had no idea what the camera was focusing on.

I always thought it must suck to be an announcer at ringside and have to stare into a monitor the whole time... at least it made sense when the Nitro booth was all the way in the back and facing the opposite direction of the ring.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

ChampRamp posted:

Eh, I mean there were ways to do the heel thing without predicting the turn. It didn't hurt it terribly or anything, I just would've preferred him to say something like "Oh jeez, not this guy again" or kept his mouth shut.

Still love the brain regardless.

watching at the time it's a total throwaway typical Brain comment and you don't think twice about Heenan saying it. It's only in hindsight that it seems like it matters at all.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Astro7x posted:

This is actually one case where WCW was unquestionably awesome. Wrestlers got free reign to do whatever the hell they wanted. If Jericho wanted to just wrestle and never talk, that was cool. If he wanted to talk for 5 minutes before every match and call out the WCW champion on every show, that was cool too. It seemed to be completely up to the wrestler to do what he wanted. It wasn't so tightly scripted and planned out. Because of that, it didn't come off like a soap opera the way WWE does. It came off like a real sports show. If you look at old WCW crowds, honest to god, a lot of the fans seem to believe it was real. Maybe they did or maybe the format just made it easier for them to suspend disbelief.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
This cuts both ways, though; the undercard guys were allowed to do whatever they wanted, sure, but it was only because management didn't care at all about them. So a guy like Jericho could go out and do whatever he wanted and find something that connected with the crowd, but it never ended up in a push or anything because management didn't care.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
We are watching Road Wild 98 tonight. http://www.synchtube.com/r/sacharisma

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MassRayPer posted:

We are watching Road Wild 98 tonight. http://www.synchtube.com/r/sacharisma

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Everyone who left is missing out on some classic wrestling bear action.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I just got up to Hog Wild 96 in my attempt to watch the entire monday night wars from the debut of Nitro.

Was there any reason why Nitro was outside at Disney every single week during this time? I'd imagine that the outdoor Nitros was probably why those Glacier promos kept running on forever, because they wanted to do his cool snow entrance.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Astro7x posted:

I just got up to Hog Wild 96 in my attempt to watch the entire monday night wars from the debut of Nitro.

Was there any reason why Nitro was outside at Disney every single week during this time? I'd imagine that the outdoor Nitros was probably why those Glacier promos kept running on forever, because they wanted to do his cool snow entrance.

There was actually a good reason for that. The majority of Turner's production equipment was being used on the Olympics so they had WCW stay in a central location as much as possible for TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRayPer posted:

I agree on the first point and disagree on the second, as do WWE's entire truck-monkey team. They edit out Bobby's call every time they air the moment. Would've been more awesome if he hadn't have said anything, but the entire drat thing wasn't his fault even in the slightest.