Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
Yeah the interview is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Now I can't wait to hear it.

Also there's a D.O.K. single for £3.00 out at the Butterz Boutique. If I had the cash I'd get one of the Butterz slipmats as well.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

thepopstalinist posted:

Butterz slipmats

Pretty tempting, it would be funny if they were printed on Butter Rugs. It is a bit pricy but I do need some new slipmats...

lycheeee
Jan 14, 2011

what up meat puck
Mimosa's new album, Sanctuary, is surprisingly (at least surprisingly to me) good. For the longest time I thought he sort of sucked but I think he's really honed in on a style. It's worth checking out.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
poo poo, there was a new test press? Got the last few and missed this one.

nibe
Feb 23, 2008

lycheeee posted:

Mimosa's new album, Sanctuary, is surprisingly (at least surprisingly to me) good. For the longest time I thought he sort of sucked but I think he's really honed in on a style. It's worth checking out.

Yeah his new single from the album surprised me, it's really garage-y and restrained but still sounds like him. He also recently put out a mix with a bunch of UK bass tunes and his remixes of Jamie xx and Rustie (though it does have a bit of annoying wobble as well).

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
http://haywyremusic.com/

Like what I've heard off the new album, anyone who hasn't heard of him you can :files: his previous albums for free on the site above. Check out this track especially.. HW - Atmospheric Evolution (Part 1 & Part 2)

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 17, 2011

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value
I don't think this has appeared yet... if you fancy a bit of reading with your bass - indeed, if you want someone who goes even deeper than Clark in his analysis - you could do worse than a bit of Rouge's Foam:

http://rougesfoam.blogspot.com/

Download the podcast of his Night Slugs article when you have a spare hour. Fascinating.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

nibe posted:

Yeah his new single from the album surprised me, it's really garage-y and restrained but still sounds like him. He also recently put out a mix with a bunch of UK bass tunes and his remixes of Jamie xx and Rustie (though it does have a bit of annoying wobble as well).

I actually quite like this. Future-garage-by-numbers perhaps (and I expect to see many more jumping on the bandwagon yet still) but it's proficiently done.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
How are you guys keeping up with releases these days other than listening to Rinse constantly? I'm always finding new old stuff but I'm so clueless about what's coming out currently.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Gamest Mook posted:

How are you guys keeping up with releases these days other than listening to Rinse constantly? I'm always finding new old stuff but I'm so clueless about what's coming out currently.

I think we were talking about this a few pages back actually. Anyway your best bets are simply to keep checking on the major record stores websites, subscribe to their weekly mailing lists. As far as I'm concerned places like iTunes and Beatport are utter shite and worthless so I completely ignore them. 99% of anything good won't be a terrible download anyway, it'll be a real release vinyl or CD first.

Then you've simply got label websites, visit them subscribe to their newsletters if they have them.

And then for the hardcore there is always checking out the distros weekly release sheets. Though I preferred it when they just had a simple pdf list rather than a blog thing most seem to go for nowadays. I regularly check SRD and ST Holdings release pages to know what's in that week.

I've always found mags, newsites and blogs to be a bit hit or miss really unless they actually have a bit of juice or connected to producers/label owners/promoters etc. Otherwise they tend to be on the same spot on the ladder as the average Joe which is pretty pointless really.

All that plus the likes of Rinse and you're normally fairly set.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah, easiest thing for me has been subscribing to Boomkat's RSS feed and catching up with new releases on other sites (SURUS, Chemical, etc.) every few days. At 2:30 in the morning (MST) Boomkat releases its full digital list and I usually scrounge through that on a weekly basis.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Brenmar's the next release on Hum and Buzz and it sounds really good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcvTpcxECHg

EDIT: Also, MA1 has his Elektron EP out today, which is a proper follow up to High Definition.

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 18, 2011

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The unmixed version of Scuba's DJ-Kicks is out and it's got a whole boatload of exclusives.

A little disappointing that Addison Groove is a electro/house project now instead of a juke thing. It's less interesting this way. A bit too much like Boddika for my taste.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Mike_V posted:

Brenmar's the next release on Hum and Buzz and it sounds really good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcvTpcxECHg

EDIT: Also, MA1 has his Elektron EP out today, which is a proper follow up to High Definition.

Is this the first instance of the Numbers beat in a UK Bass track? Fantastic. Reminds me a bit of some of the mid '90s So So Def stuff like Ghost City DJs, INOJ, etc.

edit: I guess he's not actually from the UK haha. But still in that tradition.

Gamest Mook fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 18, 2011

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

Gamest Mook posted:

I follow a lot of artists and DJs on twitter.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

So Damu's first LP quietly sneaked out today on Blackdown's Keysound Recordings label and it's sounding pretty decent. Definitely fits into that Joy O/Koreless/Jacques Greene kind of sound, so fans of those give it a go. The album also utilises the Keysound/Blackdown Grime players rotodex and pulls in Trim to do vocals on a track too.

I listened to this today and I really love the wide range of sounds on it. The kettle drum sounds on L.O.V.E. are awesome.

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

Gamest Mook posted:

Dude from another website just started this recently
http://bassreleases.tumblr.com/

Where he basically collects all the notable forthcomings from press sheets or whatever and posts them every sunday for the monday releases.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Lysis posted:

Dude from another website just started this recently
http://bassreleases.tumblr.com/

Where he basically collects all the notable forthcomings from press sheets or whatever and posts them every sunday for the monday releases.

Wow this is great, thanks.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

I just put a free juke tune on my soundcloud woaaaaaaaaa http://soundcloud.com/djchumpchange/that-sound

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!

TenaciousTomato posted:

http://haywyremusic.com/

This is one of those guys I really hope to see hit the top. He's got so much going for him.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

HatchetDown posted:

This is one of those guys I really hope to see hit the top. He's got so much going for him.

He sounds like your average wobbler to me. I clicked that link and was rewarded with horrible tunes.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Giving the new Kuedo a first listen now and I really like it. I didn't like the last EP much - a bit too 'wonky' for me iirc - so wasn't expecting much, but he's really reined in his more hyperactive impulses here. There's a big 80s underground synth/minimal wave influence on display here; I'm reminded a lot of stuff on the ICR label that gets posted on the Mutant Sounds blog, like Rick Crane. Putting juke beats on a good half the tracks is a bit like, "really?" also but it doesn't mar the finished product that much and sometimes works really well as in 'Ascension Phase'.

The biggest criticism I have is a seeming lack of really memorable melodies, which is in sharp contrast to the Rustie album. The sound design is an absolute triumph for sure, though.

Gamest Mook fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 18, 2011

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face

thepopstalinist posted:

Now I can't wait to hear it.

Also there's a D.O.K. single for £3.00 out at the Butterz Boutique. If I had the cash I'd get one of the Butterz slipmats as well.

I've got this and quite like it. Really solid price for HDR001.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
They've just sent me that D.O.K single for free twice with other orders i made. Also Air Bubble Remixes which is a nice record.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Looks like Bok Bok has a new EP coming out with Tom Trago on Sound Pellegrino on Halloween. That's a pretty quick turn around time since he just released a Night Slugs EP pretty recently. Whatever, it sounds pretty good.

http://soundcloud.com/soundpellegrino/bok-bok-tom-trago-night-voyage

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Tom Trago's the tits, will look out for that.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!

Maguro posted:

He sounds like your average wobbler to me. I clicked that link and was rewarded with horrible tunes.

He's a pretty sharp pianist and I thought he was decent at creating an atmosphere. Sure he still throws wobbles into his tracks but I still wouldn't group him in with producers like this. Especially since the basslines aren't always the centerpiece (nor would I consider them 'average' by YouTube producer standards) and he rarely if ever relies on drops of any sort. Is he mind-blowing? Not really. But to say his tunes are horrible is an injustice. If he isn't great he's at least drat decent.

Enjoyed your tune too by the way

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007
Just got back from the Skream & Benga show...and it was dope as hell. I took some pics of the crowd and stuff. I'll post them up later. Even got to shake Benga's hand and tell him he spun a dope show. Was anyone else that posts here and lives in the Chicago area there?

Styliferous
Apr 23, 2005

ElectroBolt™
by Ryan Industries
Grimey Drawer

Riot.EXE posted:

Just got back from the Skream & Benga show...and it was dope as hell. I took some pics of the crowd and stuff. I'll post them up later. Even got to shake Benga's hand and tell him he spun a dope show. Was anyone else that posts here and lives in the Chicago area there?

Did they spin individual sets, or was it two hours of them working together? I'm going to see them at Fall Massive in DC next month and I'm hoping for the latter. I heard Skream dropped Left Leg Out last night, hopefully he'll play at least one track by DMZ in DC.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Styliferous posted:

Did they spin individual sets, or was it two hours of them working together? I'm going to see them at Fall Massive in DC next month and I'm hoping for the latter. I heard Skream dropped Left Leg Out last night, hopefully he'll play at least one track by DMZ in DC.

They were together for a couple hours...and one of the other DMZ dudes was with them. It was that one dude that looks a lot like Mala, or it was Mala himself MC'ing. They spun a great show...hell, every DJ that was there spun some dope poo poo.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Riot.EXE posted:

They were together for a couple hours...and one of the other DMZ dudes was with them. It was that one dude that looks a lot like Mala, or it was Mala himself MC'ing. They spun a great show...hell, every DJ that was there spun some dope poo poo.

That'll be Pokes then, joint funniest man in Dubstep next to N-Type.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

New Zomby

http://www.thefader.com/2011/10/20/stream-zomby-labyrinth/

Very 91/92 old skool, I like it a lot.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007
Shots from Skream & Benga at The Mid in Chicago, IL (10-19-2011)

Crowd shot from the balcony...this is how it SHOULD look.

Another crowd shot from the balcony...tried to include the DJ booth this time.

Ventured into the crowd for some better shots...Skream, everyone!

Benga havin' a Zen Moment, or somethin'...

Gettin' the crowd more hype!

Skream also havin' a Zen Moment...

I also managed to record a couple small clips of their set.

Clip 1, and Clip 2. Enjoy it, y'all.

(EDIT - posted one more pic)

Riot.EXE fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 21, 2011

qwako
Sep 11, 2009
I havent seen a good skream set for about two years

banging lineup next month for london goonies £6 entry yes

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=126967587408113

MJ Cole
Wookie
Cooly G
Fantastic Mr Fox
Alexander Nut (2 hrs)
Bass Clef - Live
Luke Envoy
Angela Murkle
Gordon Wedderburn (afrobeat)
Ben White
Ruffick
Ed West

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

qwako posted:

Luke Envoy

I wish this guy was putting out more music.

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value

qwako posted:

MJ Cole
Wookie
Cooly G
Fantastic Mr Fox
Alexander Nut (2 hrs)
Bass Clef - Live
Luke Envoy
Angela Murkle
Ben White
Ruffick
Ed West

Wahey! I'm on this. THEM put on a good night.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

qwako posted:

MJ Cole
Wookie
Cooly G
Fantastic Mr Fox
Alexander Nut (2 hrs)
Bass Clef - Live
Luke Envoy
Angela Murkle
Ben White
Ruffick
Ed West

Times like this I wish there was some 24hr ultra high speed super sonic there-in-1-hour train I could take to see stuff like this.

SUBFRIES posted:

I wish this guy was putting out more music.

Seriously, I bought Gamma/Honour Kill when it first came out and it still sounds as good today 5 or so years on. Actually anything from that first Hot Flush era(before Paul Rose moved to Berlin) is a must buy as far as I'm concerned. Not a duff release in there.

And while it's probably not 100% relevant, I hope everyone has pre-ordered the new The Black Dog LP? I know I spent way to much money reserving the triple pack. From what I've heard it's sounding great like all their recent work, even more dancefloory this time which makes sense since they've actually been playing out fairly regularly and that they are on G-town big dog techno/house label Soma so a heavy hitter was bound to drop.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I got it digitally. Was thrown for a bit of a loop when I learned the Dust Brothers have been part of the band for awhile. They were off my radar til Radio Scarecrow came out (though I was well-versed in their early ambient house stuff with the Plaid boys, natch) but I've been following them pretty closely ever since. They've been on Soma for awhile, too, though I think a lot of their singles and recent collaborations (they do a dark ambient thing as Dadavistic Orchestra) have been on Dust Sciences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

thepopstalinist posted:

I got it digitally. Was thrown for a bit of a loop when I learned the Dust Brothers have been part of the band for awhile. They were off my radar til Radio Scarecrow came out (though I was well-versed in their early ambient house stuff with the Plaid boys, natch) but I've been following them pretty closely ever since. They've been on Soma for awhile, too, though I think a lot of their singles and recent collaborations (they do a dark ambient thing as Dadavistic Orchestra) have been on Dust Sciences.

Yeah they've been on Soma since they re-issued all their early EPs (in a double disc pack called Book Of Dogma, seriously folks buy this, early BD is just incredible and so far ahead of anything else coming out in 89/90) and Temple of Transparent Balls with them. Their first 'come back' LP was on Dust Science, which was okay but nowhere near as good as what Radio Scarecrow was, though it did give us one of the best remixes I've heard in years courtesy of Orlando Voorn. And the new one came in the post for me today so yas! Just as good. Though the blue vinyl is weird choice as a nice red would match the cover, but that's me just being a terrible person mentioning that.

Never a fan of Plaid though, I have to admit. But Bytes, Spanners, ToTB and the couple of Rising High EPs are fantastic though.

And speaking of wasting more money on vinyl. The Horsepower Productions archive EP thingy on Tempa that's been floating about on promo for a while is finally out. 4 classic Horsepower tracks that you really need to buy.

• Locked thread