Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Deep Winter posted:

This is amazing, but holy poo poo that redstone. Imagine how large it would have to be to act as a modern-day computer.

I have heard rumours of someone building a functioning 8 bit cpu. I don't know how far they went but it must have been huge to even function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Macaluso posted:

Holy jesus, what is this? Someone's insane DND dungeon map? The site doesn't really make it clear what that's for

Make a giant keyboard out of redstone then type your posts with it

done

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Devian666 posted:

I have heard rumours of someone building a functioning 8 bit cpu. I don't know how far they went but it must have been huge to even function.

32 byte

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuMlhKI-pzE

Semi-Normal
Oct 9, 2007

Sex is on, yeah?

Deep Winter posted:

This is amazing, but holy poo poo that redstone. Imagine how large it would have to be to act as a modern-day computer.

I speak of none but the computer that is to come after me!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Apparently it's pretty easy now to increase the cap. Not sure if a 6235 block height cap would completely break minecraft, though. Probably.

Someone should actually do this, though, with the modified height cap. There has to be some sort of program that would convert a heightmap into a minecraft map. Then someone would spawn in Nebraska with no trees for miles and miles and only extremely rare underground caves.

Google Earth has the entire geography of the USA (and the world) mapped. I don't think it would be impossible to just transfer that information into Minecraft in a similar fashion to how you transfer Kinect data. You could automate the whole process. It wouldn't get the caves, however.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

Schwarzwald posted:

Google Earth has the entire geography of the USA (and the world) mapped. I don't think it would be impossible to just transfer that information into Minecraft in a similar fashion to how you transfer Kinect data. You could automate the whole process. It wouldn't get the caves, however.

Been done. http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/224048-creation-the-earth-updated-final/

It's not 1:1 but it's kind of cool. Would be nice if they updated it again for 1.8/9 but I can imagine the import script they used took hours to days to run.

lizzyinthesky fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 17, 2011

Mast
Dec 1, 2007

That's an 8-bit CPU.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Semi-Normal posted:

I speak of none but the computer that is to come after me!

Pretty much.

(It's a reference to Deep Thought, the city-sized computer in The HitchHiker's Guide, who is referring to it's successor, a planet-sized computer, Earth)

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Be careful when playing the Deep Space Turtle Chase map/mod set. The bed checkpoints broke for me near the end of the game saying that the bed was obstructed sending me to the initial spawn at the very beginning of the map. It would be a good idea to place your own beds in open spots to keep that from happening.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I was just catching up on the Yogscast and I am so over those dumb Minecraft videos, I just want the Further Adventures of Bob and Jim forever. :allears:

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

TWO SPERGS ENTER, ONE SPERG LEAVES

(I've got to add the spleef floor still shhh)

That dumb sign was way too big to slap over that thing :smith:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Anyone else been getting "Too many failed logins" randomly? Just tried to login, I know I had my pass right and all, but I got that for whatever reason. I went to the official site, was able to login there perfectly fine, so I don't really know what could be the problem.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yeah I was getting that too, in a way. I wasn't able to connect to minecraft.net, despite my internet being fine.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I have downloaded the 64-bit version of java and installed the 64-bit version of java. Is minecraft now using the 64-bit version of java?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Cowcaster posted:

I have downloaded the 64-bit version of java and installed the 64-bit version of java. Is minecraft now using the 64-bit version of java?

It should be. If you want to check, next time you run it, check your Task Manager. If the javaw.exe doesn't have a *32 next to it, then it's running in 64 bit Java.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

THE MACHO MAN posted:

TWO SPERGS ENTER, ONE SPERG LEAVES AND ARGUE ABOUT BLOCK SPACING BEFORE STOMPING OFF IN A MURDEROUS RAGE

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Is that a bee house? I want to see a better picture of the bee house :3:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Underflow posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxxJB4diQ1I&feature=channel_video_title

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Dang, is that a little carnival? I started work on my own at the beginning of October but never finished it.

Does your carnival have apple bobbing? I bet it doesn't. :smug:

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
^^^
It will now!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

From the Twitter of Notch:

Notch posted:

One month until MineCon. Code freeze today. Chances of me actually finishing the boss fight today: 4%
He later clarifies that it was Feature freeze.

I'm slightly intrigued about the boss fight he talks about.

Lazermaniac
Sep 2, 2007
Do not stare into beam with remaining eye.
So I made a new alternate font style for the enchanting table. Extra nerd points if you recognize where I got it from!

Here it is:
http://filesmelt.com/dl/alternate2.png (save without the 2)

edit:
Here's the particles file (also save without the 2)
http://filesmelt.com/dl/particles2.png

Lazermaniac fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Oct 18, 2011

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Lazermaniac posted:

So I made a new alternate font style for the enchanting table. Extra nerd points if you recognize where I got it from!

Here it is:
http://filesmelt.com/dl/alternate2.png (save without the 2)

For some reason the bookcase flying letter effect isn't affected by this. Any idea where those are retrieved from?

particles.png

Also:

Notch posted:

We won the interim injunction! We can keep using the name "Scrolls". ZeniMax/Bethesda can still appeal the ruling, but I'm very happy. :D

:toot:

And it seems Jens has found what was causing some CPUs to run at 100%, so hopefully the fix for that will be in the next prerelease.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pre-emptive warning because I know confusing about this will arise, that does not mean they won the lawsuit or anything. If only the law worked that fast. It means that the judge said that it's OK to keep using the name Scrolls while the case is being heard. A small victory and a good start.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Why did they continue the case after Mojang was prepared to drop the mark? That's what I don't get. Is it just a gamble that they somehow win big and get ahold of the Minecraft mark?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

TOOT BOOT posted:

Why did they continue the case after Mojang was prepared to drop the mark? That's what I don't get. Is it just a gamble that they somehow win big and get ahold of the Minecraft mark?

Because they're required to fully pursue cases that even look like they infringe on their copyright or else somebody could use those cases as legal evidence that Bethesda doesn't care and get away with actually infringing on their copyright.

It's retarded but Bethesda is doing the smart choice to avoid getting taken advantage of by a loving horrible system.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

That's literally impossible. They're doing it because they don't like anybody using any words included in any of their trademarks for a game title.

Broken Loose posted:

Because they're required to fully pursue cases that even look like they infringe on their copyright or else somebody could use those cases as legal evidence that Bethesda doesn't care and get away with actually infringing on their copyright.

It's retarded but Bethesda is doing the smart choice to avoid getting taken advantage of by a loving horrible system.

This is not really the case, though? I mean, it's true, you can't selectively ignore trademark infringers, but Scrolls isn't infringing in the first place. They aren't required to pursue this, and nobody would have been able to use Scrolls in a court as evidence of any sort to pursue their own case. Bethesda is being way overzealous, here.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Deep Winter posted:

Given mods like industrialcraft and buildcraft and such, I think it's only a matter of time before we see a computercraft, where those massive loving redstone circuitry rigs are simplified into ingame microprocessors and various other computer components. You may be able to wire circuits for a computer on a large window, similar to how you 'wire' stuff for various things in those mods I mentioned.

I'm telling you, minecraft mods could be a wonderful tool for teaching programming and construction principals to kids.

Flater
Oct 20, 2006

Ask me about sucking Batman's dick

That's literally impossible. They're doing it because they don't like anybody using any words included in any of their trademarks for a game title.
It has nothing to do with not liking it they are just being cautious with protection of their trademark and it's not even that outlandish. This is how law works, sorry.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Flater posted:

It has nothing to do with not liking it they are just being cautious with protection of their trademark and it's not even that outlandish. This is how law works, sorry.

No. What you are saying is the case much of the time, but it doesn't practically extend to single, common words. Bethesda would be in no legal peril of losing its trademark over a game being called Scrolls, much like Valve would not be in trouble if there was a game called Life.

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007
Code freeze is now in place!

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Gorfob posted:

Oh wow!

I will be interested in seeing how quickly they move to 1.9 and 1.10 from this now.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Times posted:

Given mods like industrialcraft and buildcraft and such, I think it's only a matter of time before we see a computercraft, where those massive loving redstone circuitry rigs are simplified into ingame microprocessors and various other computer components. You may be able to wire circuits for a computer on a large window, similar to how you 'wire' stuff for various things in those mods I mentioned.

I'm telling you, minecraft mods could be a wonderful tool for teaching programming and construction principals to kids.

You mean like:

http://www.eloraam.com/?p=145
http://www.eloraam.com/?p=152

:v:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Gorfob posted:

As mentioned already, feature freeze. Code freeze would mean that Notch and Jeb stopped working until the release.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Broken Loose posted:

That's not how copyright works (you may be thinking of trademark).

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Iacen posted:

I'm slightly intrigued about the boss fight he talks about.

I'm betting it's the Ender Dragon. I mean, you have to get a bunch of poo poo from strong monsters in the Nether and rare monsters in the real world to even gain access to the Ender, and the Ender Dragon is a motherfucking dragon. If there's any kind of "boss fight" in Minecraft, that's gotta be it.

I wonder what we'll get for managing to kill one? Assuming that's even possible - maybe the Ender will have some highly desirable resource, but to collect it you have to contend with constant swarms of Endermen and drive off/escape from the invincible Ender Dragon every once in a while.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Petey posted:

That's not how copyright works (you may be thinking of trademark).
I thought the suit over Scrolls WAS about trademark.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Jetsetlemming posted:

I thought the suit over Scrolls WAS about trademark.

It is, but the person he quoted is misusing the term copyright.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

This is not really the case, though? I mean, it's true, you can't selectively ignore trademark infringers, but Scrolls isn't infringing in the first place. They aren't required to pursue this, and nobody would have been able to use Scrolls in a court as evidence of any sort to pursue their own case. Bethesda is being way overzealous, here.

It's not just using it. It's filing for a trademark on scrolls that started this. They have a trademark on a video game called 'The Elder Scrolls' and mojang is looking to trademark a game called 'Scrolls'. It's dumb but I can see where bethesda lawyers are probably right in thinking they have to give the legal stinkeye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

MikeJF posted:

No. What you are saying is the case much of the time, but it doesn't practically extend to single, common words. Bethesda would be in no legal peril of losing its trademark over a game being called Scrolls, much like Valve would not be in trouble if there was a game called Life.

Yes, if trademark holders were obligated to pursue litigation over such common words that barely resemble their trademark you'd hear about cases like these far more often. As it is, you've got Bethesda and that weird Edge dude.

glug posted:

It's dumb but I can see where bethesda lawyers are probably right in thinking they have to give the legal stinkeye.

I can also see how their lawyers would think they should pursue it, but it bothers me when people start talking about how they were obligated to pursue it. Companies are obligated to protect their trademark when it's threatened, but examples of cases likes this involved far more blatant infringement. They made a judgment call, and based on precedent they probably didn't have to.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 18, 2011