Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Penny_Dreadful posted:

The final zone is basically empty, the boss is some dumb carbon copy of Old King Allant from Demons Souls, and endings are just haha im kidding there isn't any. Could they really not come up with something better then this? What a disappointment considering the effort it takes to get there.

Well as the spirit of the game is old school, isn't that how old school games typically ended? "You win! Play again please!" This game even has a NG+ to help with that. And as empty as the final zone was, it was strangely beautiful and well designed like every other environment I've seen in this game. It's also a great titanite colored chunk hunting spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
I feel totally bad for telling mr pyromancer where I got my sweet fireballz. :(

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Macksy posted:

There are a lot of things you can say to people that don't seem like bad ideas until much later.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Dawnfire posted:

What level are you? I'd be glad to join up with you if you need it, I always hate how hard it is for me to find help so I've been helping people as much as I can now before bosses.
45. I feel like I should be higher.

My white summon died before the boss, and all I have is Solaire. I can't even save and quit. Every other summon is failing.

edit: Oh, I'll just see if I can go kill Lautrec.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

For as annoying as Crystal Cave is, all the moonlight butterflies floating around sure are pretty. :3:

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Elysiume posted:

45. I feel like I should be higher.

My white summon died before the boss, and all I have is Solaire. I can't even save and quit. Every other summon is failing.

edit: Oh, I'll just see if I can go kill Lautrec.

The one thing I hate about going human and looking for people to summon is that I get invaded, and I royally suck at pvp. I get okay weapons, but I usually get rolled over unless I get lucky. I've only been able to do okay on my pyromancer because of how much ridiculous damage you can do as one.

Edit cause I forgot to say: I'm also a bit off level to join you (18 or 75), but 45 actually seems like an alright level to be at Anor Londo. If you can't get anyone to help you, try learning their moves and running them into the pillars. Took me a few tries on my pyro but eventually you learn which moves you can side step or roll back from, and to sort of keep an eye on Ornstein even if he's to your side.

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 18, 2011

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Wow, me, this random mage, and a half-health Solaire (I left him in that room while I looked for a new summon) took them down, first try, Smough first. Solaire left us right after Smough died, and for Ornstein I just held aggro and swatted him with me Furysword and the mage did...mage things.

edit: oh, there are two elevators because Smough used the big one and Ornstein used the small one. Now I feel kind of bad. Why did they attack me? I don't even know! :(

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 18, 2011

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh good, the invisible walkways over the instant death pit have holes in them. That's novel. And the flakes that land on them actually go farther than the invisible level geometry. And the last checkpoint is one level ago.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 18, 2011

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Macksy posted:

Wait, why? What does this do? I have a hunch its something to do with why my dude at Firelink has been MIA for a while now...?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Is there really any upgrade from Stone or Havel's armor? Even upgrading with expensive twinkling titanite I don't really see anything that's a significant upgrade.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Merauder posted:

Wait, why? What does this do? I have a hunch its something to do with why my dude at Firelink has been MIA for a while now...?

If you have the quelanna ascended pyro flame and tell him about it he, he goes to search for her but ends up hollowed in blighttown. I feel bad kind of too, since he was a nice guy, but the dude was a jerk who TOTALLY overreacted when I hit him trying to break him out of his stupid barrel on my first run. Guy was a baby. Does anyone know if he drops anything good?

Edit: Yeah I'm a numbnuts and forgot if he did.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Dawnfire posted:

If you have the quelanna ascended pyro flame and tell him about he, he goes to search for her but ends up hollowed in blighttown.

Huh, I didn't get that specifically, but I do seem to recall talking to him about my fancy new pyromancy after having been to Blighttown, and now he's been gone for quite a while. Maybe I'll have to go explore for him.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Merauder posted:

Huh, I didn't get that specifically, but I do seem to recall talking to him about my fancy new pyromancy after having been to Blighttown, and now he's been gone for quite a while. Maybe I'll have to go explore for him.
I have some bad news for you. :(

Is Lautrec (and his goons, I guess) weak to any element? Also, can I pull his cohorts or is this a 3v1?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

low-key-taco posted:

Is there really any upgrade from Stone or Havel's armor? Even upgrading with expensive twinkling titanite I don't really see anything that's a significant upgrade.

Smough's armour is unupgradeable but superior to either.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Is Lautrec (and his goons, I guess) weak to any element? Also, can I pull his cohorts or is this a 3v1?
Pulling them on to the stairs helps. You can then generally focus on the one in front.

Be careful of Lautrec, since he has some pretty painful shotels. Will cut around your shield.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Elysiume posted:

I annihilated the whole party of 3 with a couple Great Chaos Fireballs, using a +10 flame.

Also, did Lautrec kill that guy too?!

LorentzViolator
Sep 6, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Only From is big enough of an rear end in a top hat to have invisible walkways and slippery floors together in the same area.

e: And an enemy strong enough to punch you off both.

Yes! Having said that I think they've been quite generous at times, such as having those guys not respawning or the toxic dart guys in Blighttown .

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

doomfunk posted:

Smough's armour is unupgradeable but superior to either.
I would tend to agree. Though Havels does have unparalleled poise. The best armor in the game is probably giant armor, but it takes twinkling titanite to upgrade. When fully upgraded, it edges out Smough's by a little in my book.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
So, is this some PVP thing I don't know about?

Rough Lobster posted:

Ok, so sometimes a white circles appears on the ground in various areas. I can't interact with it. A white circle also appears on my HUD, where I keep my miracles. What is this? It happens every once in a while for no reason and it baffles me.

edit: it's really more of a white ring, and in only lasts for a few seconds.

Also, just got to the Anor Lando smithy. Where do I go to get my plus 10 bandit dagger higher?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
^^: Get the very large ember from New Londo Ruins, I think.

Filthy Monkey posted:

Pulling them on to the stairs helps. You can then generally focus on the one in front.

Be careful of Lautrec, since he has some pretty painful shotels. Will cut around your shield.
Shotels :argh:

Merauder posted:

I annihilated the whole party of 3 with a couple Great Chaos Fireballs, using a +10 flame.

I have +15, but only one fireball left. I hate those giants.

Nah, I think he just died because Blighttown is a shithole dive.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Elysiume posted:

It's unfortunately 3v1. I had a lot of trouble with the fight on my old character, so on this one I just kept Lautrec in his cage without even going his way. Lo and behold the jerk somehow shows up at firelink, and then I try to burn his face off but instead forget that his cheap weapon ignores shields and got murdered. Fought him again and he rolled off a cliff...but anyway.

You can try running and gunning if you have any ranged or magic, but really he's not specifically weak to much according to the guide. In fact, he has strong resist against status effects too. I just kept hitting him as he rolled toward me and then backed off, rinse and repeat until he died. Have to watch his caster buddy though, who has a so and so chance to drop a catalyst as well.

Edited so it's not a giant chunk of text.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Barudak posted:

Its the end of the fight that gets you when the poor thing is flopping all over and it can't maintain balance when it swings. It feels really strange especially because no other boss seems even remotely bothered by the damage they've taken.

Sorry, Sif but hollows gotta hollow.

I really hope I don't get this far in the game soon because my heartstrings are ridiculously easy to tug :smith:

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Merauder posted:

You died the first time you went into Blighttown too, didn't you?

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Elysiume posted:

I basically ran laps around the perimeter of the room until one of them took the lead, smacked the poo poo out of him, and then repeated the process. Also, the fight ends after you kill Lautrec, so if you're feeling lucky, by all means unload on him and hope you get lucky.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Whaat? I don't get to kill the other fuckers if I kill him first? A +15 Great Chaos Fireball and a jump attack and he was slain! I'd decided to go hard because I can't block.

How much does Ring of Favor and Protection boost my load cap by? I want to wear it, but I don't want to find out it's not enough and break the drat thing.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Professor Latency posted:

You died the first time you went into Blighttown too, didn't you?

haha, actually no :smug: But I get the message. Can I find him in the swamp somewhere then, and fight him or something? Or is he just doneso?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

PvP hilarity tonight.

Joined the forest covenant and got summoned a few times to hunt down trespassers! This was cool! First two guys got murdered, one disconnected, but the last guy...I couldn't find him.

Then another phantom invaded and we're tag-teaming trying to find this guy and...no one's there. We hunted like five minutes, maybe ten...and no sign of the guy. We start tear-assing around the forest, rolling through trees and stuff, hoping to find him. Then I roll into a bush and...it doesn't give. It looks a little different from a distance. Darker, the light doesn't reflect the same.

Weird.

I roll again. The bush doesn't break. All the other bushes broke. So I swing my sword at it, and it screams. What the gently caress?

There's flash of light and the bush turns into my target. He'd been hiding with that awesome spell that disguises you as random poo poo! Unfortunately, he's got the fog ring on and I can't target him. I get a couple good swings in but he ends up setting me on fire and one-shotting me.

Five minutes later, I get notice that I'm being summoned to invade again.

It's the same guy! This time I know what to expect, so I find a bush that looks different. I throw a fireball at it, and sure enough, there's a scream and a flash of light.

I still can't target him, though, and he wins. I hate the fog ring so much.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Elysiume posted:

Whaat? I don't get to kill the other fuckers if I kill him first? A +15 Great Chaos Fireball and a jump attack and he was slain! I'd decided to go hard because I can't block.

How much does Ring of Favor and Protection boost my load cap by? I want to wear it, but I don't want to find out it's not enough and break the !@#$%^&* thing.

If you move your stats around on the screen you can see by how much it affects your equip weight, this is true of just about any equipment change. The only time you can't double check something's effect on your total stats is when you're upgrading something.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
I've discovered so far that doing the game SL1 just requires a lot more patience and pacing. I've upgraded my weapon (battle axe) and shield to +5, most of my armor to +2, and I've just defeated the Capra Shitdemon (previously Havel, Taurus, and Bell Gargoyles). I can't wait to get some even lighter armor and a lighter sword and the bloodshield so I can drop Havel's ring and use something more beneficial. Seems so far off at this point, but the ultimate goal of being a level 1 grief machine is one step closer to completion. :hawaaaafap:

Next up, Depths and Blighttown. :negative:

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

sentrygun posted:

It's all on Youtube if you don't have a NicoNico account (which most people outside of ADTRW probably haven't bothered doing, if they'd even heard of the site before.).

Holy poo poo. I knew most of the tricks he used but I didn't know you could bullshit your way out of a falling death by quitting the game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

LorentzViolator posted:

Yes! Having said that I think they've been quite generous at times, such as having those guys not respawning or the toxic dart guys in Blighttown .

Why the gently caress does he have an AOE curse attack? How do you even dodge that? It hit the entire loving cave.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Will I be able to join the Sunlight Bros at any point after Anor Londo or is there a missable window? I'm with the Chaos Servants right now and I want to get enough for the Pyromancy spells and, maybe, the shortcut. But after I do that stuff I want to join up with them and become grossly incandescent.

Oh and is 25 faith the absolute bare minimum or can it go lower the more times I get summoned as a spirit?

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

ConfusedUs posted:

Hillarious pvp shenanigans.

Haha, wow. Now I think I'm going to get that spell to completely screw with anyone who tries to invade me. I saw it's effects but thought nothing of it at the time, didn't realize it's a great way to troll invaders. I also too hate that fog ring, since I rely on targeting a lot and don't understand how people say they don't in pvp. But then again that's probably why I suck at pvp.

Who Dat posted:

I've discovered so far that doing the game SL1 just requires a lot more patience and pacing. I've upgraded my weapon (battle axe) and shield to +5, most of my armor to +2, and I've just defeated the Capra Shitdemon (previously Havel, Taurus, and Bell Gargoyles). I can't wait to get some even lighter armor and a lighter sword and the bloodshield so I can drop Havel's ring and use something more beneficial. Seems so far off at this point, but the ultimate goal of being a level 1 grief machine is one step closer to completion. :hawaaaafap:

Next up, Depths and Blighttown. :negative:

If you want some great advice on how to be an evil SL1 griefing machine, use pyromancy. It requires no stats for it's maximum damage, only takes you upgrading the pyromancy flame and acquiring the spells themselves. The extra attunement slots would have helped if you could level, but you can just use rings to get a little more.

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 18, 2011

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Bleah, moronic double post when I should have just answered in the other one. Please delete this.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The entirety of Crystal Cave and its boss is the exact opposite of what everybody in the universe considers good and decent level design, Jesus Christ.

e: Wait, REALLY? The crystals really keep cursing you after they fade? What the hell is this? How is this even remotely winnable?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 18, 2011

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:

Dawnfire posted:

If you want some great advice on how to be an evil SL1 griefing machine, use pyromancy. It requires no stats for it's maximum damage, only takes you upgrading the pyromancy flame and acquiring the spells themselves. The extra attunement slots would have helped if you could level, but you can just use rings to get a little more.

Yeah, I'm going to be upgrading as soon as I can. I have to wait until I find the Pyromancy guy in the Depths first though, right?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dawnfire posted:

Haha, wow. Now I think I'm going to get that spell to completely screw with anyone who tries to invade me. I saw it's effects but thought nothing of it at the time, didn't realize it's a great way to troll invaders. I also too hate that fog ring, since I rely on targeting a lot and don't understand how people say they don't in pvp. But then again that's probably why I suck at pvp.

It was amazing. I had some pyromancy but not enough INT for sorcery. I'm changing that immediately, just to buy this one spell.

And Light. For obvious reasons.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Dawnfire posted:

If you move your stats around on the screen you can see by how much it affects your equip weight, this is true of just about any equipment change. The only time you can't double check something's effect on your total stats is when you're upgrading something.
Do you have some sort of censor? Why did "drat" turn into "!@#$%^&*"? And I was mostly asking because I don't want to equip it, find out it isn't giving enough load, and be stuck with it until I raise my endurance more and can take of Havel's.

Anastacia is...really depressing. I wish there was so much backstory in this game. Why did Smough and Ornstein attack me? Why is Anor Londo abandoned? Where did these snakemen come from?

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Who Dat posted:

Yeah, I'm going to be upgrading as soon as I can. I have to wait until I find the Pyromancy guy in the Depths first though, right?

Yeah, just be absolutely careful when trying to break him out. I made the mistake of swinging a giant claymore at him on my first run. He'll be able to upgrade your flame all the way up to +15, and Quelanna in blightown will ascend your flame and get it to +5 . Then you'll be doing like 400 damage with regular combustions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Elysiume posted:

Anastacia is...really depressing. I wish there was so much backstory in this game. Why did Smough and Ornstein attack me? Why is Anor Londo abandoned? Where did these snakemen come from?

I read it somewhere in the game, but I think O&S were the king's former knights, but basically got kicked out because Smough enjoyed executing people too much and I forgot what Ornstein's reason was. So they got regulated to protecting the princess.

• Locked thread