Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Gumby Orgy posted:

ETA: Anyone had experience with these two conditions during pregnancy: hyperemesis gravidarium and urinary tract infection?

Nope. No one in the history of pregnancy has ever had these problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!
I "felt" it was a girl and so did he... But he still insisted it would be a boy.

She is a girl, lol.

Not that we were expecting to be right or anything.

I definitely do NOT hate being pregnant. I am happy as hell and even though it feels "weird" and uncomfortable and painful and I constantly want to stab my coworkers violently, and I can't see myself exactly "missing" all the crappy parts, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I DO hate all of the smart rear end comments either telling me how effing perfect pregnancy was or the "LoL just wait til x thing happens you will wish you never complained about barfing for 9 hours straight cause you were dumb enough to brush your teeth!!"

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Gumby Orgy posted:

Pregnancy is a poo poo sandwich.

:mad:

ETA: Anyone had experience with these two conditions during pregnancy: hyperemesis gravidarium and urinary tract infection?

I am going to say this from a place of concern for you, I am not trying to be catty or bitchy, or a know-it-all. I am sure you are going to think "I don't understand" but I just gave birth 9 months ago and I DO understand to a point. You are very newly pregnant. Your body is going through the changes every woman in history who has ever been pregnant is going through. It can be unnerving and it's really stressful, especially before you find out if the pregnancy is viable.

If you continue to focus on every tiny little issue and negative feeling, you are about to be in for the longest 30+ weeks of your life. You need to relax. If you are already this genuinely stressed out, you really should consider talking to a therapist. Pregnant women ALWAYS seem to get pissed when moms say this, but once you actually have a newborn in your care, your stress level will reach new heights and you need to have a plan in place for dealing with it.

Urinary tract infections are so common in pregnancy that my OB tested urine at every visit for every pregnant patient. It is something that needs to be treated with antibiotics, though, so call the nurses' line if you think you have one.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

Gumby Orgy posted:

Zoloft and antibiotics. Pretty common.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.

Moms Stuffing posted:

Zoloft and antibiotics. Pretty common.

You mean Zofran, I think.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

chachu posted:

You mean Zofran, I think.

I think this chick needs ZOLOFT TOO ok!? (Yes I meant Zofran)

deviledseraphim
Jan 22, 2002
me gusta besar el pollo desnudo!!

Gumby Orgy posted:

Pregnancy is a poo poo sandwich.

:mad:

How accurate were your feelings regarding male/female?

I had hyperemesis. It sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked. I was hospitalized twice for dehydration and was sick until the last two months. Even after the constant nausea went away, I still threw up occasionally. I took Zofran, that helped a lot. It still blew. I hated pregnancy.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Gumby Orgy posted:

I thought for sure we were having a boy. Everybody around me was/is having girls so I figured I was going to be the one to have the boy. Nope. It's a girl! Shocked but happy. My husband and I are (seemingly) one of the few couples who really don't care what the sex is. I think the only reason I'm slightly more thankful it's a girl is because we have a girl's name picked out and we're having a hard time thinking of a boy's name.

As for the hyperemesis...have you been formally diagnosed? Hyperemesis gravidarium is a serious diagnosis and can potentially be very dangerous. It's NOT normal pregnancy nausea. It can cause severe dehydration and, as the poster above me mentioned, the need to be hospitalized. Meds help but it needs to be monitored to make sure you gain adequate weight and are able to intake adequate nutrition. If you have been formally diagnosed the only thing you can really do is work with your provider to make sure you keep it in check. If you haven't, it is possible that your nausea is pretty bad but just not quite bad enough to be considered HG. Some people can get some pretty gnarly nausea and vomiting but it's still considered completely normal.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I knew I was having a boy mainly because I thought I wanted a girl and sods law.... but at the end of the day it really didn't matter. I knew I would love whatever popped out of my vagina regardless of gender.

Had about 5 urine infections during the pregnancy and each time I was prescribed antibiotics which then led to thrush. Pretty annoying having to treat a symptomless condition with something that causes thrush but nevermind.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Mangue posted:

I thought for sure we were having a boy. Everybody around me was/is having girls so I figured I was going to be the one to have the boy. Nope. It's a girl! Shocked but happy. My husband and I are (seemingly) one of the few couples who really don't care what the sex is. I think the only reason I'm slightly more thankful it's a girl is because we have a girl's name picked out and we're having a hard time thinking of a boy's name.

As for the hyperemesis...have you been formally diagnosed? Hyperemesis gravidarium is a serious diagnosis and can potentially be very dangerous. It's NOT normal pregnancy nausea. It can cause severe dehydration and, as the poster above me mentioned, the need to be hospitalized. Meds help but it needs to be monitored to make sure you gain adequate weight and are able to intake adequate nutrition. If you have been formally diagnosed the only thing you can really do is work with your provider to make sure you keep it in check. If you haven't, it is possible that your nausea is pretty bad but just not quite bad enough to be considered HG. Some people can get some pretty gnarly nausea and vomiting but it's still considered completely normal.

Yes, I have been formally diagnosed. It wasn't Dr. Google, either. Previously it was, "we're going to monitor you because you're vomiting excessively. Try this med." Now it is, "You have an actual condition that is harming you." I'm having to go in again next week to have my electrolyte balance checked again. She said that she will hospitalize me for dehydration if it gets worse. She said that my rather sudden weight loss is not harmful to my baby as of yet, but is not good for me at all (almost 15 lbs so far and I'm not even out of the first trimester). I am not experiencing normal pregnancy nausea.

My insurance won't cover the melting Zofran tabs, so I continue to throw up most all of the pills. I'm working on getting an override approved, but that seems to be a slow process.

I definitely have a UTI. I was just wondering about them. I haven't had one since I was a kid, so this is kind of just a miserable experience on top of the constant barfing.

I know I'm going to be okay, but this has not been a good experience so far. I'm not super stressed out because I know that my provider is monitoring me to make sure I am safe. How did you deal with work and hyperemesis?

Twatty Seahag posted:

I am going to say this from a place of concern for you, I am not trying to be catty or bitchy, or a know-it-all. I am sure you are going to think "I don't understand" but I just gave birth 9 months ago and I DO understand to a point. You are very newly pregnant. Your body is going through the changes every woman in history who has ever been pregnant is going through. It can be unnerving and it's really stressful, especially before you find out if the pregnancy is viable.

If you continue to focus on every tiny little issue and negative feeling, you are about to be in for the longest 30+ weeks of your life. You need to relax. If you are already this genuinely stressed out, you really should consider talking to a therapist. Pregnant women ALWAYS seem to get pissed when moms say this, but once you actually have a newborn in your care, your stress level will reach new heights and you need to have a plan in place for dealing with it.

Urinary tract infections are so common in pregnancy that my OB tested urine at every visit for every pregnant patient. It is something that needs to be treated with antibiotics, though, so call the nurses' line if you think you have one.

But I really am going through something that isn't a normal pregnancy issue? I'm not really that stressed out, honestly. I'm a lot less stressed out now that I've met with my actual provider because I know who is going to be making sure I stay as healthy as possible. She actually cares about me and that counts for a lot.

Pregnancy is just sucking a whole lot for me. I'm no longer excited about it, which is normal considering what's going on. I'm not a weepy mess - I don't cry if I burn toast, I don't worry about my appointments, and I don't stress out over small things like laundry. If I start having issues with normal, everyday things, I will definitely take your advice and seek a therapist. I didn't think asking about the condition would start a shitstorm. Lesson learned.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Gumby Orgy fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 18, 2011

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Gumby Orgy posted:

Pregnancy is just sucking a whole lot for me. I'm no longer excited about it, which is normal considering what's going on. I'm not a weepy mess - I don't cry if I burn toast, I don't worry about my appointments, and I don't stress out over small things like laundry. If I start having issues with normal, everyday things, I will definitely take your advice and seek a therapist. I didn't think asking about the condition would start a shitstorm. Lesson learned.

Your condition is called "being pregnant". You throw up (a lot). Hyperemesis gravidarum literally means "throwing up a lot during pregnancy". That's what you do in pregnancy. You feel like poo poo. You cry over everything. You're super emotional. You seriously need to chill lest the next 32 weeks of your pregnancy give you a nervous breakdown. Might I suggest http://livejournal.com?

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
Pregnancy hasn't been that bad for me. I'm lucky and it's been pretty easy, but I also look at all the aches and pains and annoying stuff as "well, that's just being pregnant." Whenever I hear heavy complaining, I always wonder if the person is really going through something much worse, or if it's just a different reaction to the same stuff I have. I wouldn't say I LOVE being pregnant, but I definitely don't hate it. It's gotten a lot rougher since reaching full-term, though. In addition to more pain/discomfort, there's the added stress of waiting for signs of labor and feeling like a ticking time bomb. (And my baaaaaack really huuuuuuurts, wah.)

I didn't have strong feelings either way about boy vs. girl, whereas my husband decided it was a boy immediately (and was right). I've seen a lot of polls on this subject and it seems to be evenly split - 50% are right, 50% are wrong..

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Gumby Orgy posted:

I didn't think asking about the condition would start a shitstorm. Lesson learned.

You are 9 weeks pregnant (if that?). Things will probably get a lot worse before they get better. Chill out, I guess?

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
If it's so rare why do I know several people who were diagnosed with hyperemesis gravidarum? Guessing it's yet another over diagnosed condition or it's not really that uncommon.

The first trimester was horrible. I was permanauseated and exhausted but also had insomnia and it just sucked. I only ended up gaining 8lbs my entire pregnancy because I was nauseated first, and then I had horrible heartburn for the rest of it. Pregnancy just sucks. I would try to just swallow all the poo poo and stop wallowing in how awful it is (tempting to do I know I have been there) and just try to take your mind off of it if you can by other distractions. Or sleep a lot. Sleeping is good and surprisingly easy when you're pregnant.

Moms Stuffing fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 18, 2011

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

I don't hate being pregnant on the whole, and some parts of it are pretty awesome. It's been far more pleasant than I thought it would be, even now that I'm officially ginormous. I'd do it again happily as a surrogate or gestational carrier if I could get [legally] paid for it. I think it's just luck and biology, but I'm happy to be one of the lucky ones.

Maybe it's all the meditation and Hypnobabies practice, but I've been feeling really mentally healthy too. Honestly, it's probably all these preggo hormones though, so I'm hoping I don't get PPD once everything starts changing again. The only thing that's really been ugly is feeling like I could/would throw up at any moment for a solid 2.5 months. It was exhausting, and I can understand why the unlucky ladies with h.g. or who can't get comfortable enough to sleep at night would have their reasons to hate being pregnant.

I do miss being able to tie my shoes AND breathe at the same time, and some of the other trivial stuff that's just not possible when you're carrying around a big belly. However that is more than balanced by how loving awesome it feels to eat whatever thing I'm craving and obsessing over. It's usually a specific fruit or a big glass of ice-cold milk. For me, it's eerily similar to eating when you're high; pretty much everything tastes AMAZING. I also recently had my first double cheeseburger ever, and I can honestly say that it was a near-orgasmic experience. And now I'm going to be thinking about cheeseburgers for the rest of the day. :)

MoCookies fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 18, 2011

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.
I lost at least 15 lbs during my first trimester and the doctor was on the edge of making me drink things like ensure or boost, which I don't like. But once I was able to eat again, she encouraged me to eat as many fatty, sugary things as I could so you have that to look forward to. And when I got anatomical scans done in August, the baby was right on schedule for size and development.

So I don't know if it helps but after a hard first trimester, my greatest worries at 29 weeks are pain management during labor and tearing.

And you can put me in the "pregnancy sucks" camp.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Do any of y'all use a 'pregnancy pillow'? Is there a brand you swear by or stay away from? Do you just use a few regular body pillows? These things are like $50 and up so if they're a total waste then I may just get her a bunch of pillows. Something like this:

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

American Jello posted:

Do any of y'all use a 'pregnancy pillow'? Is there a brand you swear by or stay away from? Do you just use a few regular body pillows? These things are like $50 and up so if they're a total waste then I may just get her a bunch of pillows. Something like this:

I just used a regular body pillow that was $10. If you have the extra money the pregnancy pillow is nice, but ymmv as far as comfort goes.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

American Jello posted:

That thing would have been awesome during pregnancy (and even now), but I just used a million billion pillows to make a nest for myself. Also that woman is either a pregnant primordial dwarf or she's in the largest bed I've ever seen.

deviledseraphim
Jan 22, 2002
me gusta besar el pollo desnudo!!

chachu posted:

Your condition is called "being pregnant". You throw up (a lot). Hyperemesis gravidarum literally means "throwing up a lot during pregnancy". That's what you do in pregnancy. You feel like poo poo. You cry over everything. You're super emotional. You seriously need to chill lest the next 32 weeks of your pregnancy give you a nervous breakdown. Might I suggest http://livejournal.com?

I love you chachu, but screw you. Hyperemesis gravidarum is not the same as normal pregnancy at all. Now, there are lesser cases of it that go away after the start of the second trimester, and its highly possible that will happen to Gumby Orgy, but please don't falsely equate those two. It was so incredibly frustrating for me when I was pregnant to hear women say "oh, I had bad morning sickness too!" It's not the same thing. I couldn't eat at all, I could barely drink, I lost 20 lbs in a few weeks, I had to quit my job. (I was going to school full time as well at the time, and I did manage to do that but only with the help of understanding teachers) And while the worst only lasted a few weeks, I was dependent on the Zofran for six months just to keep food down and I STILL threw up half the time anyway. It was loving miserable.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
It's the largest bed ever, since I think that's the extra large snoogle pillow. I got the regular Leachco Snoogle at 12 or 16 weeks, more for the back support than for my belly at that point. It was pricey, but definitely worth it for me. I was piling a pillows under my neck, back, belly, and between my knees, and when I had to get up to pee more than once a night for a while it was a pain in the rear end to rearrange them without waking myself all the way up. Now I'm 23 weeks and I still love it. The only downside for me is that the pillowcase pilled up pretty quickly. If you want to use your own pillow for your head, you can always bend the top part in the opposite direction, but you'll lose the upper back support.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

chachu posted:

Maybe. And perhaps HG is something that is over diagnosed as Moms Stuffing suggested but a real case of HG is a real problem. It can cause severe electrolyte imbalances, acidosis, and lead into a starvation mode in which the body is literally eating itself causing muscle wasting and protein deficiencies. All of this can lead to the death of the baby. This is not normal pregnancy nausea. Granted it really only happens in about half of 1% of all pregnancies so it probably is over diagnosed. That's not to say that Gumby Orgy doesn't actually have it though. Of all the women who post in this forum we're bound to have some with real pregnancy complications.

I feel HG is maybe something that people say they have when they tend to throw up a lot during pregnancy. But in actuality a real case of HG is a real issue and tends to be a lot worse than people may realize. Just like people say they get "hypoglycemic" if they don't eat at regular intervals but a real case of hypoglycemia without a diagnosis of diabetes is extremely rare and serious.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

American Jello posted:

I have a regular Snoogle, it sucks, I sleep in a chair. :/ Gonna try restuffing it and see if I can get it to give some support.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

deviledseraphim posted:

I love you chachu, but screw you. Hyperemesis gravidarum is not the same as normal pregnancy at all. Now, there are lesser cases of it that go away after the start of the second trimester, and its highly possible that will happen to Gumby Orgy, but please don't falsely equate those two. It was so incredibly frustrating for me when I was pregnant to hear women say "oh, I had bad morning sickness too!" It's not the same thing. I couldn't eat at all, I could barely drink, I lost 20 lbs in a few weeks, I had to quit my job. (I was going to school full time as well at the time, and I did manage to do that but only with the help of understanding teachers) And while the worst only lasted a few weeks, I was dependent on the Zofran for six months just to keep food down and I STILL threw up half the time anyway. It was loving miserable.

Okay okay okay, I take that back. Sorry. My point still stands that perhaps Gumby Orgy could use somewhere to let her, uh, frustrations out.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
For the record, most days I don't hate being pregnant. I love feeling my daughter roll around and I think its incredible that I'm growing another person. Its the stuff that you wake up one day with that is loving annoying. I had awful morning sickness that is slowly creeping back. Do I love it? No way in hell. Mine even lasted far past that 12 week bullshit people tel you about. I am happy it subsided after a while though and thankfully when it does come back again I am prepared. I just think that I would have been less annoyed if someone had told me "Yeah, you'll feel great and then tomorrow morning you're going to feel like poo poo, but that's probably going to last all day. Then you'll feel great for an hour." kind of stuff. Oh and the fact that I can't even mention being tired without getting catty remarks from everyone about how I'll be ten times more tired after she's born. The advice from everyone and their goddamn dog, I can definitely do without.

As for feeling, we had prepared for a boy since my husband swore up and down for the last 12 years that he only makes boys. In his defense his family does genetically throw males. With that in mind, I kind of felt like we were having a girl but it was a very slight sway. We're talking like 51%/49% until the last week and only then it only went to maybe a 54%/46% and I mostly attributed that to me wanting a girl so badly. They checked during both ultrasounds and she's definitely still a girl, there is not a penis in sight.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Gumby Orgy posted:

I knew my daughter was a girl the moment I found out I was pregnant. Never wavered on it, at all.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

American Jello posted:

I used a comma pillow and a wedge, and loved them both. I also used my regular body pillow. The wedge went under my belly, and it really felt great having it supported. I put the body pillow behind me and used it for back support, and I hugged the comma and had it between my knees. My little nest worked quite nicely.

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006
I thought for sure the entire time that I was going to have identical boys. I had dreams about boys and could only think of boy names. I felt like that right up until the morning of my ultrasound when I was going to find out. I kept thinking, poo poo, they're gonna be girls. And sure enough, the nurse couldn't find anything hanging out on either of them. I asked them to double check two weeks later, and they were still girls. I'm pretty sure they will be girls. By force of habit, I still use "he" when talking about either of them, I have to correct myself all the time.

Also, I use a cheap body pillow. It really helps. I think one of those U shaped pillows would be better though. I'd love to have a pillow in front of me and behind me, anything that kept me from rolling on to my back would be amazing.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

American Jello posted:

My husband just looked at that thing and said he wanted one. He said he may as well just divorce me and buy one, just cut a hole and....

This thread has ruined my marriage!

But that thing does look really super comfy.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Bodnoirbabe posted:

My husband just looked at that thing and said he wanted one. He said he may as well just divorce me and buy one, just cut a hole and....

This thread has ruined my marriage!

But that thing does look really super comfy.

I actually didn't like it. :( Instead I used two smaller pillows. I wanted it to be more adjustable. My kids still use the preggo pillow just to snuggle in though so it gets some use.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
I have a pregnancy pillow very similar to the one in the picture and I'm not sure I could sleep without it. I turn from side to side all night, so having a long pillow on both sides of me offers great back support and makes it easier to turn over without having to take the pillow to the other side with me, especially now with the pelvis issues making it even harder to move from side to side. I can also use it to elevate one or both legs in a semi side lying position or support my belly with it. For a little while I also used a wedge pillow for the belly but now I'm enormous enough to just fit my belly on the pregnancy pillow. I did try swapping the whole thing out for a regular body pillow because it does take up a ton of room in the bed and as another poster said, the pillowcase does pill up a lot, but I barely slept at all with just the body pillow so I switched back. But yeah, I think it would be hard to fit that thing on anything except a king sized bed.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
I was just positive that Jack was going to be a girl. I think it's because I really wanted a boy, and I was preparing myself in case he was a girl. It worked pretty well because I remember feeling a little "oh." when I found out he was a boy, until I realized how relieved I was!

I used a Snoogie that a friend gave me and it was magic for me, but it didn't help another friend out at all. If you know someone you can borrow one from for a couple nights just to make sure before dropping the cash (aren't they like $50?) I highly recommend it.

I have heard pretty universally that the Boppy pregnancy pillows aren't very good, and that they lose their support really quickly.

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Don't mess with Mister Creazil!
I "knew" my first child was a girl.To the point that I refused to even look at boys names. Everyone around me swore I was having a boy because of how I carried. Then at 34 weeks or so, the doctor realized this fetus was breech (yay bicornuate uterus!) so I had a good dozen or so ultrasounds in the last month of pregnancy. In all but the last 2, she kept her legs so closed that nobody could be quite sure what gender she was.Except me, of course. :smugbert:

With my second pregnancy, it was different. My then-husband was proficient at producing girls. With his ex wife, they had gotten pregnant 8 times, only 2 were carried to term, but all were female. And then he had another daughter with an ex girlfriend. So when we went for the 20 week ultrasound, the doctor asked "How many girls do you guys have all together"? I was positive she was going to say "because you're having another one".Nope, she said "I feel sorry for this little guy with all of those bit sisters to boss him around". If I wasn't already fat plus pregnant, I would've done a dance.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Fire In The Disco posted:

Some of us do actually enjoy pregnancy. I gave birth less than two years ago and I loved being pregnant, even when I was nauseous and even when I had SPD. Sorry, I guess I'm just a weirdo.

I am going on three days overdue.

Pregnancy SUCKS.

At least it has the added bonus of making me less anxious about labor. Bring on the pain, just get the kid out of me! My poor ribs want a break and my bladder can't take much more of his head banging. D=

(I actually had a boring, textbook pregnancy. Not much morning sickness, only a few cramps here and there, and the worst side effect is I lost my ability to sleep through the night (which was slightly remedied by Benadryl. I don't even have any late pregnancy edema. But goddamn its a lot of hassle, just give me the kid already.)

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
Hey, everyone. I've been lurking this thread for a little while, but a couple of concerns/questions have motivated me to post to see if anyone else has had or is having an experience similar to mine here. Please forgive me if I’m bringing up an old topic — I've read through the entire thread (I think), but I did it in fits and starts and may have forgotten or missed previous discussion on what I'm bringing up in my post here. Sorry about the length, I’m trying to be thorough. This is mostly about a vaginal infection, so if you're easily grossed out, you may want to skim past this post.

I'm currently 17 weeks into my first pregnancy. About 2 weeks ago, I began to notice some unusual vaginal discharge. I left a message on the question line for my OB's office in which I described what I was seeing. I got a call back from one of the nurses there who said it sounded like a yeast infection and then instructed me to use a 7-day course of Monistat. Last week I had my monthly OB appointment, but the doctor couldn't really examine what was going on since I was still on the Monistat and the cream would obscure anything, so she told me to finish out the treatment and call back if I was still having problems and they'd try to get me back in. I completed the treatment at the end of the week and wound up waiting over the weekend to see what would happen. Instead of discharge, I woke up Monday morning to see that I had begun bleeding — not a huge amount, but definitely more than spotting.

This freaked me out pretty badly. I called the OB again and they got me in within a few hours for an ultrasound. The baby seemed okay, heartbeat and development were good, and my cervix was closed. The woman who did the ultrasound said she did not see any signs of impending doom, but she also couldn't see where the blood could be coming from and that it could be due to infection. I went home feeling greatly relieved... for the rest of the day, anyway. The bleeding continued yesterday (Tuesday) and slowed a little last night, but it hasn't stopped. I've gradually been getting more and more freaked as the bleeding continues in a "well, everything looked fine on Monday, but it could have all gone wrong since then" sort of way.

This brings me to my questions:
First, does anyone here know much about or experienced vaginal (or cervical) infection or infection-related bleeding during their pregnancy? I know that many women have unexplained bleeding off and on during their pregnancies, but having it come from a possible infection seems alarming, for lack of a better way of putting it. It seems like it must take a pretty nasty infection to do that.
Secondly, am I overreacting? I was a nervous wreck waiting for that ultrasound on Monday, but once it had been done and no one at my OB's office seemed concerned about anything, I felt a little like I was nagging my doctor and had wasted everyone's time. I know objectively that the chance of miscarriage at 17 weeks is low, and that if all was well on Monday, it’s probably fine now, too, but I can’t get there emotionally. After monitoring the bleeding today, I left another message for my OB. Am I just being a drama queen?

right to bear karma fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 20, 2011

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought.
It actually sounds a lot like Bacterial Vaginosis (very similar to a yeast infection except with the added bonus of bleeding). I had one when I was about 15 weeks. Super easy to get rid of. Just a 7 day pill thing.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Ansiktsburk posted:

Secondly, am I overreacting? I was a nervous wreck waiting for that ultrasound on Monday, but once it had been done and no one at my OB's office seemed concerned about anything, I felt a little like I was nagging my doctor and had wasted everyone's time. I know objectively that the chance of miscarriage at 17 weeks is low, and that if all was well on Monday, it’s probably fine now, too, but I can’t get there emotionally. After monitoring the bleeding today, I left another message for my OB. Am I just being a drama queen?

No experience but I'd also be worried if I was in your position. Hopefully it is as easy to get rid of as Sarsaparilla suggests. Fingers crossed.

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006
I don't think you are being a drama queen. You just don't understand what is happening. I would ask the doctor to explain to you how an infection could cause bleeding and ask what the chances are that this whole thing will hurt the baby. Sometimes doctors will only give you the bare minimum information. If you ask specific questions then you get specific answers. If you dot get answers then you tell your doctor that you are unhappy with the explanation. Sometimes the doctors will forget to check up on you, so if you think there is still a problem, it's your job to keep asking questions. You should never feel like you are wasting their time, they are getting paid for their time.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.
Doctors get 15 minutes max with you unless you push for more time. I've run into the same problem where the nurse/doctor doesn't explain things fully. Since my last appointment I've been reading more about labor and delivery and the vague answers my doctor gave me are now freaking me out a bit. Like your problem, this might be totally routine to them, but I'm not feeling taken care of :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.
This shouldn't be too e/n, but figured it might help someone out if they find themselves in a similar situation.

We just lost our bub yesterday at 31 weeks due to very severe pre-eclampsia that caused/happened along with severe concealed placental abruption. Basically, the blood in/around the placenta tore from the uterus and began to clot badly, but since it was concealed, my wife didn't feel any pain or experience any bleeding at all. It was also retroplacental (behind the placenta), so absolutely nothing looked abmornal on ultrasound. The only symptoms she had was a feeling of slightly less baby movement for about two days leading up to losing him, but that seemed just like a normal symptom of pre-eclampsia at first. Even her pre-eclampsia symptoms were quite mild (just slightly elevated BP and some feet swelling) for how how severe it ended up being after a multitude of blood tests confirmed it.

We stopped up to the maternity ward just to get a checkup Tues night, and lost the heartbeat on doppler about 15 minutes after we got in. Felt the baby moving right up to that time, so nobody could tell just how bad things were. Even when the OB confirmed the loss of heartbeat on ultrasound, he didn't see aything obviously wrong. Everyone thought it was something caused by the pre-EC, right up until the baby and placenta were delivered the next evening, and the extent of the damage was obvious. Even I could see how bad the placenta had been damaged, almost 100% covered by huge dark clots. We were told that there was virtually zero chance of survival from this amount of abruption, it was some relief to hear that there was nothing we could have done differently to change the outcome.

So yeah, think of this as a psuedo PSA to not worry about wasting the docs/midwives time and get checked when anything feels odd. In our case, coming in earlier wouldn't have made any difference at all, but for someone else, just a few hours could be life saving. Most abruptions aren't as bad as ours, and there's a decent chance of an emergency c-section getting the bub out before they die.

The OB/midwives/nurses here at hospital have been amazing every step of the way, I don't think I've ever been around a nicer group of people. Everyone has been super supportive, and I know it's really hard for them since they're so used to dealing with positive outcomes. I continue to be blown away by the quality of care we get here in Oz vs what I'm used to in the US.

Hopefully that wasn't too e/n, if so I hope the mods just clean it up instead of dropping the probation hammer. :)

JBark fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 20, 2011