Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

As Duckman pointed out in the Sprint thread, the "$125 off" bit is meaningless. If you're eligible for a two year upgrade in 25 days, you essentially get "new customer" pricing on any phone. He knows, he sells Sprint phones for a living.
I was kind of wary on continuing the line of questioning in that thread, since I was going to ask for a recommendation, and thought it better suited here.

So the "$125 off" banner isn't really accurate? Why the hell does Sprint show it?

Anyway, is the 3D really that much better than the Evo? I had read some reviews that mentioned that it really didn't do a whole lot more than the Evo - I don't care about the 3D shtick. If it is essentially the same phone, I'd rather just buy a phone, then extend my plan when there is really a badass phone I want. I don't want to be stuck with a phone for 2 more years that is "meh".

As for the Photon, has it really been out long enough to get good informative reviews on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

berzerkmonkey posted:

So the "$125 off" banner isn't really accurate? Why the hell does Sprint show it?
No it's not accurate. Who knows. Maybe they mean "at least $125 off" or something. In any event, once you hit your two-year (22 month?) upgrade date their web site will show you the actual discounts/rebates you're eligible on any given phone.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Anyway, is the 3D really that much better than the Evo?
Absolutely. Reviews have been strangely unfavorable towards the Evo 3D and this is a particular sore point of folks in the Sprint & Devices thread.

Spec-wise, the Evo 3D is actually better than the Sensation, which is internationally considered the second best Android phone on the market to date, after the SGSII. It's dual-core, 1 GB RAM, qHD screen, the works. The phone would be an absolute improvement over the Evo even without the 3D, which itself is optional to use. The consensus is that Sprint is mismarketing it, and by emphasizing the 3D aspect of it folks commonly think it's just an Evo 3D, which it's actually improved in every spec category.

And no, it doesn't really "do a whole lot more" than the Evo, aside from the 3D aspect. But the Evo "doesn't do a whole lot more" than the Hero either, aside from 4G. That said, what it does do, it does much faster. Also, Sense 3 is considerably improved over the version of Sense that ships with the Evo (even after the GB update). It has changed the opinion of a bunch of "Sense haters" around here, who now use Sense 3 daily.

That said, the Evo 3D still runs Gingerbread, as the original Evo does too. As I've mentioned, Ice Cream Sandwich is due out soon, and although I'd expect the Evo 3D to get an official update to it eventually, it might not be immediately.

Personally, given that your current phones are poo poo, I'd get Evo 3Ds now. If the Nexus whatever turns out to be fantastically better when it does hit, you can sell one of the Evo 3Ds and pick one up at retail, and the cost to do so will be less than the $350 you'll spent on used Evos now.

Also, there's definitely nothing "meh" about the Evo 3D in its present form. The issue is how much better than it the next device is going to be. And honestly, that's always a struggle in this market.

berzerkmonkey posted:

As for the Photon, has it really been out long enough to get good informative reviews on it?
Yes, it's been out for a few months. It definitely has better radio reception than the Evo 3D, and it's also a world phone. Folks generally agree that the qHD PenTile screen on the Photon is considerably worse than the Evo 3Ds, with some folks finding it irritatingly annoying. But it is a very bright screen and likely has better power consumption. It's worth checking both out in stores.

The Photon also has more internal storage (16 GB vs 4 GB), although I don't consider the difference to be as big of a factor others. Also, if you have any interest in rooting or custom ROMs, the Evo 3D is definitely a better way to go. If not, then that aspect doesn't matter.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 7, 2011

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I am thinking about getting my wife her first smart phone for her birthday. She's wanted one for a while but we've been holding off because she doesn't need one. She still doesn't need one, but they're fancy and shiny, and we're consumers, so whatever, let's get a smart phone. Could someone recommend a Verizon Android smart phone that is pretty decent but not world beating?

Get an iPhone. It will be a lot less trouble than most Android phones. The hardware too is very nice. The 8 GB iPhone 4 for $99 will probably do just fine.

Sub Par posted:

My job currently pays for my phone plan (AT&T grandfathered unlimited). I purchased the phone, an iPhone 3GS, in September 2009 and I love it. I am starting a new job on October 31. They will be paying for my service as well, but they are on Verizon. I do not believe my 3GS from 2009 is able to work on Verizon's network. Even if it could, this is the longest I've had a single phone so maybe it's time for something new? I need recommendations.

*Country/Provider: US, Verizon

*Budget (phone): Don't care

*Features I know I want: I have used my wife's Droid 2 Global and my brother's Droid Incredible and I have not been impressed with the smoothness of the OS (swiping, scrolling, things like that seem herky-jerkey compared to my iPhone). So I'd really like to keep something with the feel of the iPhone.

That said, since I am moving to Verizon, I feel like I should take advantage of 4G LTE even though I don't have a specific need for it. I don't watch movies on my phone or anything, but I would prefer faster web browsing and whatnot. 95% of my phone activity is work email, getting directions/searching maps, playing Scrabble, and reading the forums.

Should I check out something like the Bionic or just get the iPhone 4S and call it a day? Or is there something that might meet my needs better? Or am I being a real shithead for wanting 4G just because it's faster? Thank you, forums.

Edit: something with better battery life would be a plus too but I know that's largely dependent on my ability to be around wifi instead of 3/4G. But something with better baseline capacity would be great.

LTE is cool, but LTE battery life is bad. It's only really usable on mobile broadband devices and tablets for the moment. Get a 4S, it'll just work for you.

The 3D is nice, but I haven't played around with one to get a feel for it. I use its sister device, the Sensation and if it's anything like it, the Evo 3D is very quick on AOSP builds and quick enough on Sense. You're currently stuck on shitboxes, so it will probably suck to wait any longer but there'll be a new Nexus device coming out soon. It might actually come out on Sprint ASAP considering that Sprint and Google look to be pretty good buddies these days because of AT&T/T-Mobile.

If you like Android, the new Nexus device or the 3D are your best bets. Keep in mind that the iPhone is now on Sprint too as an alternative.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Godzilla07 posted:

Get an iPhone. It will be a lot less trouble than most Android phones. The hardware too is very nice. The 8 GB iPhone 4 for $99 will probably do just fine.
B-b-but my irrational and unwavering Apple hate. :(

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The consensus is that Sprint is mismarketing it, and by emphasizing the 3D aspect of it folks commonly think it's just an Evo 3D, which it's actually improved in every spec category.
Guess I'm one of the folks who are picking up that it is just an Evo with some gimmicky 3D crap thrown in to capitalize on the horrible 3D trend.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

And no, it doesn't really "do a whole lot more" than the Evo,...
Again, I meant an "Evo with 3D tossed in. Thanks for clarifying the differences.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That said, the Evo 3D still runs Gingerbread, as the original Evo does too. As I've mentioned, Ice Cream Sandwich is due out soon, and although I'd expect the Evo 3D to get an official update to it eventually, it might not be immediately.
I'm not too worried about the OS at this point. I actually don't mind Android 2.1 - it's just the phone that's causing me issues.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It definitely has better radio reception than the Evo 3D, and it's also a world phone.

The fact that it is a world phone doesn't really do much for me, as I don't travel outside the country. The improved radio reception is a plus though - I am assuming you're not referring to AM/FM in this case...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The Photon also has more internal storage (16 GB vs 4 GB), although I don't consider the difference to be as big of a factor others. Also, if you have any interest in rooting or custom ROMs, the Evo 3D is definitely a better way to go. If not, then that aspect doesn't matter.
Is internal storage that big of a deal with the newer versions of Android? I don't store music or movies on the phone, just apps, and you can store and run them from the SD card, correct? Also, rooting probably wouldn't be a consideration.

Thanks for the input - it was very helpful. I guess I'll wait the month and see what happens.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Evo 3D is easily Sprint's best phone right now (assuing the problems with their SGSII variant are valid), buying anything else with them is basically asinine. The lukewarm reviews (because the 3D feature is stupid) and the 3D-centric marketing are an obnoxious disservice to an otherwise decent product.

Then again, paying Sprint anything right now seems foolish. You'd be better off with an HSPA+ carrier, and you'd have more latitude with device selection as well. Sprint's LTE deployments are over a year off and will require you to buy a new device anyway. A Sprint customer up for renewal now would be wise to churn and wait to re-evaluate Sprint until their LTE situation has settled down.

If you have any kind of decent T-Mobile coverage in your area and are looking at eBaying stopgap Sprint smartphones anyway, you'd be better-served by eBay/craigslisting a couple of HTC myTouch 4G's for T-Mobile and getting on a Value plan ($80 for two people to share 1,000 minutes, unlimited text, and 2GB data per line). It's a gross phone out of the box, but the thing loving flies with CyanogenMod and it's probably one of the best phones available in terms of utility per dollar. Shouldn't run you more than $250 and is essentially as powerful as an iPhone 4 or a Galaxy S 1.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
SO US Resident here.

I have a phone upgrade long overdue. Running a Blackberry Curve right now. I am looking at iPHONE 4S vs Samsung Galaxy 2 vs Nexus. Obviously, we only "know" much about the first two.

-My draw to the iPHONE is the game/app selection. I realize this is getting better on other platforms, but still seems to not be quite neck and neck. I also like the itunes program.
-My draw to the Anderoid is customization and its open source format. Although this brings concerns about viruses and untested software causing bricking. How customizable is the interface, etc?

Also does anyone have a general (unbiased) Pro/cons list for Anderoid vs iOS? It seems as though people happy with apple's organization that dont require further customization are fine choosing ios. People who want more freedom lean towards android. Opinions?

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Android and iPhone. :eng101: Yeesh.

Honestly I'd stay away from most Android phones as a casual smartphone buyer; it's fun for phone nerds, but you're either buying a hobby or you're buying a device that could be so much more with the right software. Getting a Nexus device is the only way to steer clear of this, but as of now, the Nexus S looks incredibly dated next to the current iPhone.

Given that you don't have a problem with iTunes, getting a 4S now might serve you best. Otherwise, wait and see if the unannounced Nexus Prime appeals to you like the rest of us are doing.

kbar fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 9, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

I was kind of wary on continuing the line of questioning in that thread, since I was going to ask for a recommendation, and thought it better suited here.

Anyway, is the 3D really that much better than the Evo? I had read some reviews that mentioned that it really didn't do a whole lot more than the Evo - I don't care about the 3D shtick. If it is essentially the same phone, I'd rather just buy a phone, then extend my plan when there is really a badass phone I want. I don't want to be stuck with a phone for 2 more years that is "meh".

Sorry about being late to this, the iPhone is the bane of my existence.

Blarg is completely right, and the $150 "off the phone" does mean new pricing.

Sprint traditionally took $150 off the price of phones. However, now they want to stay competitive price wise, and people are no longer buying lovely flip phones. Here is the breakdown:

Motorola photon:
$550 outright
With contract :
$550-$150= $400
Extra $200 instant discount :
$200 out the door.

That is pretty much how all carriers break down phone pricings,sometimes you see a mail in rebate before final pricing.

And yes, the photon is a pretty solid phone,I rarely have them returned. I like the 3D better but I am admittingly an HTC whore.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 9, 2011

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

strategery posted:

SO US Resident here.

I have a phone upgrade long overdue. Running a Blackberry Curve right now. I am looking at iPHONE 4S vs Samsung Galaxy 2 vs Nexus. Obviously, we only "know" much about the first two.

-My draw to the iPHONE is the game/app selection. I realize this is getting better on other platforms, but still seems to not be quite neck and neck. I also like the itunes program.
-My draw to the Anderoid is customization and its open source format. Although this brings concerns about viruses and untested software causing bricking. How customizable is the interface, etc?

Also does anyone have a general (unbiased) Pro/cons list for Anderoid vs iOS? It seems as though people happy with apple's organization that dont require further customization are fine choosing ios. People who want more freedom lean towards android. Opinions?

The iPhone completely blows away Android in games. There's a lot of nice GPUs in Android devices these days, but there are no games to show off with. The best you're getting on Android in terms of games are one to two-year old iOS ports, with a few exceptions. Nothing like Infinity Blade, Rage, Real Racing or the like has come out on Android ever.

On Android, you have the ability to customize every inch of your phone with root. There's also Google services which work perfectly, along with free turn-by-turn navigation. There's downsides though to this: for example, you might have an app that runs when it's not supposed to, draining your battery and leaving you to hunt for the offending app. iOS, you trade away the customization for a guarantee that your phone will just work whenever. Everything's neatly sandboxed away which doesn't allow as much freedom as Android, but it'll just work. Plus things like music and games are much better on iOS anyways. The one downside to iOS is you have to deal with iTunes on Windows which people hate.

However, since you actually like iTunes, get an iPhone. It's the simplest option.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Are Virgin Mobile smartphone plans worth it? I mean unlimited everything, including data and texting, for $55/month and no contract is pretty outrageously awesome. And I currently use a TracFone, so no matter what I get, it'll probably be a step up.

I really can't afford to pay $100/month for a phone, so if this (or something like it) is a really bad option, I'll just get a non-smartphone. But I live in NYC and could really use the GPS, and ability to find restaurants while on the go, and so on.

Am I correct in thinking that you have to buy your phone directly from Virgin to use their plan?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

showbiz_liz posted:

Are Virgin Mobile smartphone plans worth it?
They are if they fit your usage profile. For VM, that would be:
< 300 minutes: $35/mo
< 1200 minutes: $45/mo
> 1200 minutes: $55/mo

showbiz_liz posted:

Am I correct in thinking that you have to buy your phone directly from Virgin to use their plan?
Not so much "directly from Virgin" as much as "it must be a Virgin-mobile branded phone". You can buy them at Best Buy and many other retailers, as well as a used one off Craigslist or eBay.

Unfortunately the selection is pretty limited. For your purposes you'd want either a Motorola Triumph or LG Optimus V. Neither of which is the best phone on the market, but are serviceable for the price. Also, you're limited to areas with Sprint native coverage, which should be alright in most major metros.

T-Mobile's plans are also worth checking out.

If you can tolerate two-year contracts, their value plans are unbeatable for price. For example, 500 voice min/mo (which I think includes free nights & weekends) with unlimited text and data (throttled after 2 GB) is only $50/mo. Now there's no phone subsidy here, so you'll have to purchase a T-Mobile-compatible device outright. But there's a lot of good used options here, and the selection is far better than Virgin Mobile's. Hell, you can even used an unlocked iPhone, albeit at slow data speeds.

If you don't like contracts, T-Mo's Monthly 4G options aren't bad. There's a $50/mo unlimited everything option, caveat it's always throttled data, but that would be enough for GPS probably. There's also a new $30/mo plan that has 100 voice minutes (10 ¢/min after, their standard prepaid voice rate), unlimited text, and unlimitd data (5 GB then throttled), which is awesome if you use little voice.

Now realizing the above is confusing as hell, what it comes down to is that plans are a tradeoff of price, voice minutes, data quantity, and phone selection. So it helps to really accurately assess how much voice you use, since you can improve your experience in each of the other areas. Personally I wouldn't go with an unlimited voice option if I hardly used voice since I'd have to put up with a mediocre phone.

Crud, can someone explain the above any better?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

showbiz_liz posted:

Are Virgin Mobile smartphone plans worth it? I mean unlimited everything, including data and texting, for $55/month and no contract is pretty outrageously awesome. And I currently use a TracFone, so no matter what I get, it'll probably be a step up.

I really can't afford to pay $100/month for a phone, so if this (or something like it) is a really bad option, I'll just get a non-smartphone. But I live in NYC and could really use the GPS, and ability to find restaurants while on the go, and so on.

Let me take a shot at this:

If you are in the city both VM and tmobile are good options.

Virgin mobile: get the triumph ($300) or optimus ($150).
Plans range from $35-60. Pick whichever fits your calling habits

If you use tracfone 300 minutes a month is probably heaven, so go with the $35 plan there.

Tmobile: great if you don't call plan
$30 a month, unlimited text, practically unlimited data, 100 minutes. Buy a used G2 or mytouch 4G off Craigslist. Tmobile data is faster fyi.

Honestly I would recommend the virgin mobile $35 a month plan, it fits the needs better and should be fine in nyc. It's prepaid, so worst case buy the triumph for $300, and sell it for $250 if you ever switch. I don't think a contract is a good idea for you right now, you still have to determine what you want, and prepaid is way better to start with. So much less hurt if you discover you want a better phone and/or plan.

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Protector of the innocent, assassin of the unjust, and a lover of delicious, sweet, creamy Ice cream.
Country/Provider: Canada/Mobilicity
Budget (phone): 300-350$
Features I know I want :
Preferably a smartphone, fast, Android OS but not a necessity. The camera can be crap for all I care, and the ability to be a portable wifi hotspot would be fantastic too. I was thinking HTC Panache, or the Thunderbolt, but I'm not sure. Suggestions?

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I'm going to China in about a month to work for a year, and I'd like to get a smartphone that I can use there and in the US when I return. I know I need an unlocked quadband GSM phone, but I'm having difficulty narrowing down my choices even after searching. I'd rather not pay more than $300, and less than $250 or even $200 would be great.

I don't need the latest and greatest, but would at least prefer something that can run Android 2.X. 3G support and GPS would be nice, as would Chinese and Korean language support (that might just be an OS issue thing? Not sure).

So far I've identified these phones of interest, and their prices on Amazon.com*
Sony Ericcson Xperia X10 Mini Pro ($170)
HTC MyTouch 3G ($122)
Galaxy Fit ($245)
Galaxy Mini ($179)

Can anyone give me some feedback on these phones, or on other phones I should look at? Good review websites and comparison websites would be very helpful as well.

*Most of the prices on Amazon are really discounted, and they're sold by other companies through Amazon. How big is the ripoff risk buying from there?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I definitely wouldnt recommend the Galaxy Fit or Mini. These are lower-end versions of the Galaxy S, which is rather infamous around here.

The Xperia mini is ok, but i suggest looking for the LG Optimus One or the ZTE Blade. Although somewhat dated, those would still be good budget options.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Buy a Nexus S. It's around $300 used right now, and you can probably just wait for prices to drop anyways after the new Nexus to come out. The Nexus S comes factory unlocked too. It runs stock Android and will be one of the first devices to get the next version of Android which should be a major update.

The Nexus S is by far and away better than those phones. You will get what you pay for with those phones. Yes, it's at the top of your price range even used. But it is well worth it.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
After checking around I'm now looking at the LG Optimus One. It doesn't look like they sell the ZTE Blade in the US; at least, I can't find many sellers on Amazon.com or eBay. The Nexus S looks great, but the unlocked version is running ~$390, about the same as an unlocked iPhone 3GS. A bit too much for me, unfortunately.

I particularly like that the LG Optimus One has a better screen resolution than the others. Much less eye strain.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
I am looking for mobile broadband and it seems that everything is very limited or very expensive except Virgin mobile. Does anyone know what kind of speeds I can expect with EVDO in a full coverage area?

Additionally while looking at that it seems I can get a basically identical plan from Virgin mobile for half the price I'm currently paying and I am rather sick of Verizon, are there any caveats or is Virgin just flat out superior to my current situation?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

RickoniX posted:

Does anyone know what kind of speeds I can expect with EVDO in a full coverage area?
EVDO rev A has a peak data rate of 3 Mb/s, but real world rates are about half that. The problem is that Sprint (and thus VM) has rather congested EVDO service in many markets where even getting 300 Kb/s is difficult. My hope is that they'd prioritize mobile broadband traffic so you would see better, but still it's pretty grim.

I've had good experience with T-Mobile for mobile broadband. Their service should be pretty darn good if you're in a T-Mo HSPA+ market, even if you don't get an HSPA+ stick--it's the backhaul that counts. Last year on EM+ I was able to get month-to-month service with a used $25 eBay basic web connect stick for $40/mo for 5 GB pre-throttle. It seems their prices have gone up, but if you still want no contract their rates are better than VM anyways. $30/mo for 1 GB and $50/mo for 3 GB.

RickoniX posted:

Additionally while looking at that it seems I can get a basically identical plan from Virgin mobile for half the price I'm currently paying and I am rather sick of Verizon, are there any caveats or is Virgin just flat out superior to my current situation?
Well why are you rather sick of Verizon? Is it just the cost, or something else?

If you're a low-minute voice user you can do better than Verizon/AT&T/Sprint with VM or T-Mobile. The problem with VM though is coverage and device selection. For coverage, you're limited to Sprint's native EV-DO network, which is fine in metros but occasionally drops out in buildings. It's less fine in rural areas and interstate traveling can be hit or miss. As for device selection, they have only two good Android phones, the Optimus V and Triumph, which would be considered mid-range devices at best these days. And you have to use a VM branded phone with them.

Again, T-Mo might not be an unreasonable alternative. If you're a really low voice user, they have a new prepaid 100 min/mo, unlimited text and unlimited (5 GB pre-throttle) data plan. Additional minutes are 10¢/min, which is their standard voice prepaid rate. The best part is that you can use any GSM/UMTS smartphone, although a T-Mo-branded one is probably preferred for 3G compatibility. Still, they have a really good device selection both new and used.

T-Mo also has crazy-cheap postpaid Value plans. $50/mo for 500 voice minutes, unlimited text, and unlimited (2 GB pre-throttle) data, which is $20/mo cheaper than the best you can do on an individual Verizon plan ($70/mo by texting through Google Voice). The weird part is that the value plans require a two-year contract but there's no upgrade subsidy. Still, the math works out to be $5/mo cheaper than subsidized plans if you figure a phone subsidy is worth $350 every 24 months. If you buy used/older/eBayed phones it's considerably better than that.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 13, 2011

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Just a heads-up for anyone hoping to pair a Verizon Friends & Family (free calling to five numbers) plan with Google Voice for free calls: they're tricky bitches and it doesn't work. One of my buddies on our plan tried it this month and even though his GV number is on our free calling list, Verizon detects the calls to it as "CallFwd" and bills them against anytime minutes. Looks like we're upgrading our minutes bucket this month. :)

They're completely in the right, but I'm definitely curious how they can tell.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

EVDO rev A has a peak data rate of 3 Mb/s, but real world rates are about half that. The problem is that Sprint (and thus VM) has rather congested EVDO service in many markets where even getting 300 Kb/s is difficult. My hope is that they'd prioritize mobile broadband traffic so you would see better, but still it's pretty grim.

I've had good experience with T-Mobile for mobile broadband. Their service should be pretty darn good if you're in a T-Mo HSPA+ market, even if you don't get an HSPA+ stick--it's the backhaul that counts. Last year on EM+ I was able to get month-to-month service with a used $25 eBay basic web connect stick for $40/mo for 5 GB pre-throttle. It seems their prices have gone up, but if you still want no contract their rates are better than VM anyways. $30/mo for 1 GB and $50/mo for 3 GB.

Well why are you rather sick of Verizon? Is it just the cost, or something else?

If you're a low-minute voice user you can do better than Verizon/AT&T/Sprint with VM or T-Mobile. The problem with VM though is coverage and device selection. For coverage, you're limited to Sprint's native EV-DO network, which is fine in metros but occasionally drops out in buildings. It's less fine in rural areas and interstate traveling can be hit or miss. As for device selection, they have only two good Android phones, the Optimus V and Triumph, which would be considered mid-range devices at best these days. And you have to use a VM branded phone with them.

Again, T-Mo might not be an unreasonable alternative. If you're a really low voice user, they have a new prepaid 100 min/mo, unlimited text and unlimited (5 GB pre-throttle) data plan. Additional minutes are 10¢/min, which is their standard voice prepaid rate. The best part is that you can use any GSM/UMTS smartphone, although a T-Mo-branded one is probably preferred for 3G compatibility. Still, they have a really good device selection both new and used.

T-Mo also has crazy-cheap postpaid Value plans. $50/mo for 500 voice minutes, unlimited text, and unlimited (2 GB pre-throttle) data, which is $20/mo cheaper than the best you can do on an individual Verizon plan ($70/mo by texting through Google Voice). The weird part is that the value plans require a two-year contract but there's no upgrade subsidy. Still, the math works out to be $5/mo cheaper than subsidized plans if you figure a phone subsidy is worth $350 every 24 months. If you buy used/older/eBayed phones it's considerably better than that.

I would agree with this. Even though you get more "data" from VM,5GB isn't that much more than 3GB. I didn't realize TMobile still had plans that good. Especially for prepaid. Verizon LTE at $50 for 5GB is great for poo poo your pants speeds, but has contracts and its way to easy to blow through it with the speeds you get (they charge overages).

Stephen Smith
Nov 8, 2004

«The Grimace Reaper»
Okay, so my contract is up with Verizon and I'm looking to renew and get a new, heavily discounted phone. I'm currently on my parents' family plan, so going outside Verizon isn't an option.

Country/Provider: United States / Verizon

Current contract status: Out-of-date

Budget (phone/plan): Doesn't matter

Features I know I want: Looking for a smartphone that's great for texting and that has a lot of apps. Games would be nice too, and I'll probably be doing a decent amount of web browsing as well. I know that Verizon offers the iPhone and several Android options, but I don't know what makes one option preferable to another. Anyone want to help me out?

Annihilator
Feb 28, 2007
What a treat
Country/Provider: US/Verizon
Budget (phone): Upgrade, $200-$250
Features I know I want: Pretty much the latest and greatest. Heavy texting, minimal calls. Frequent browsing and light gaming. 4G optional. Large screen.

I've pretty much narrowed my choices down to the iPhone 4S, Droid Bionic, or LG Revolution. My sister has the Revolution and I really liked the 4.3" screen compared to the smaller iPhone. However, I feel like the 4S would be the better overall choice in the grand scheme of things. Not really sure about the Bionic, except that it has better specs than the Revolution. Basically I'm just incapable of making a decision at this point and I want a phone guru to help me make the logical choice.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

RickoniX posted:

I am looking for mobile broadband and it seems that everything is very limited or very expensive except Virgin mobile. Does anyone know what kind of speeds I can expect with EVDO in a full coverage area?

Virgin is half the price of other carriers with 85% of the performance. I'd say it's worth it for me and in my city, i don't know about you or in your city.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Annihilator posted:

Features I know I want: Pretty much the latest and greatest. Heavy texting, minimal calls. Frequent browsing and light gaming. 4G optional. Large screen.

I've pretty much narrowed my choices down to the iPhone 4S, Droid Bionic, or LG Revolution. My sister has the Revolution and I really liked the 4.3" screen compared to the smaller iPhone. However, I feel like the 4S would be the better overall choice in the grand scheme of things. Not really sure about the Bionic, except that it has better specs than the Revolution. Basically I'm just incapable of making a decision at this point and I want a phone guru to help me make the logical choice.

Don't buy the revolution it has last years hardware and is Bingified by Verizon. Buy either the bionic or the iPhone 4S, personally I think buying a non LTE phone on Verizon is a poor choice, so i would go bionic. Note that Google may be launching a new nexus phone on Verizon soon, so it may be worth waiting to see what that is too.

Stephen Smith posted:

Okay, so my contract is up with Verizon and I'm looking to renew and get a new, heavily discounted phone. I'm currently on my parents' family plan, so going outside Verizon isn't an option.

Features I know I want: Looking for a smartphone that's great for texting and that has a lot of apps. Games would be nice too, and I'll probably be doing a decent amount of web browsing as well. I know that Verizon offers the iPhone and several Android options, but I don't know what makes one option preferable to another. Anyone want to help me out?

See quote above. The iPhone is still a great phone and has other advantages, but my personal opinion is that LTE trumps them.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Country/Provider: Open to any/New provider
Budget: Up to $200 for the phone, not more than $100 for the plan.
Features I know I want: Solid, working smartphone - I probably won't mess with the software too much, if at all. I'm still not sure whether I want unlimited data (Sprint) vs. high speed (Verizon). I'd love a good camera. Also, what would be the best way to send and receive a bunch of international texts?

I have a dumbphone on a family plan, only $10/month and it works fine. But maybe I should join the 21st century. I've been poring through these forums the last few days and it seems like a lot of people are waiting for some new smartphone announcement. That Amazon deal for a 1 cent Bionic looks pretty good (for 7 more hours), though it's expensive and I hear the camera isn't that dependable. I see the Sprint Employee referral plan seems pretty reasonable, and I'm in NYC so hopefully the performance wouldn't be as bad here as it is for a lot of people.

Or should I just hang on to my current phone for another couple months?

LosMein fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 17, 2011

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Annihilator posted:

With an Android phone, you can customize it however you want and you have Google services. With an iPhone, you trade this ability for a guarantee that your phone just works. The only reason that I can think of not going with an iPhone is you really, really want LTE and have an unlimited data plan. iTunes for Windows is a somewhat valid argument too.

Shnicker posted:

Country/Provider: Open to any/New provider
Budget: Up to $200 for the phone, not more than $100 for the plan.
Features I know I want: Solid, working smartphone - I probably won't mess with the software too much, if at all. I'm still not sure whether I want unlimited data (Sprint) vs. high speed (Verizon). I'd love a good camera. Also, what would be the best way to send and receive a bunch of international texts?

I have a dumbphone on a family plan, only $10/month and it works fine. But maybe I should join the 21st century. I've been poring through these forums the last few days and it seems like a lot of people are waiting for some new smartphone announcement. That Amazon deal for a 1 cent Bionic looks pretty good (for 7 more hours), though it's expensive and I hear the camera isn't that dependable. I see the Sprint Employee referral plan seems pretty reasonable, and I'm in NYC so hopefully the performance wouldn't be as bad here as it is for a lot of people.

Or should I just hang on to my current phone for another couple months?

Sprint's data speeds are going to suck a bit more. On the other hand, there's LTE which is blazing quick but the phones have bad battery life and you have a 2 GB data cap which you'll blow through in the blink of an eye.

If you want a phone that just works, buy an iPhone. It's as simple as that. You trade in the ability to customize the complete OS for a guarantee that your phone will just work. Plus the camera on the 4S looks great too.

Stephen Smith posted:

Get an iPhone. While Android's mostly caught up in terms of apps, I'd say that the quality of apps on iOS is still higher. Also, games don't exist on Android. The best you're getting are what amounts to leftovers from the iPhone - one to two-year old iPhone ports. There's a lot of nice GPUs floating around in the new Android devices but you can't show them off.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

For what it's worth, iPhones can use Google services, as well. They're not quite as well integrated, but they do work. I use Google Voice for texting and Gmail for push email and contact syncing over the air without an issue. The latter just has to be set up as an Exchange server. (Well, the GV app is a bit crashy with iOS5, but hopefully that will get fixed.)

EDIT: Apparently, Google pulled the GV app until they fix the bug, but they say they're on it.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 18, 2011

MrGunner
Apr 9, 2004

dream the dream of your attrition
Country/Provider: Canada, Rogers/Fido
Budget (phone): Had my contract long enough with Rogers to upgrade though with how little I use my phone switching to Fido might be smarter.
Features I know I want: I have an iphone 3G right now and other than the fact that I loving detest using itunes it's a pretty good phone. Would be willing to switch to a android/windows/whatever phone if it was similar enough and didn't require me to use terrible lovely Apple software.

So yeah should I go iphone 4GS and just deal with it or can you recommend me a good alternative.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

I just got an Unlocked/Rooted Verizon Motorola Droid 1 used and I want to know if I can use this phone on any network besides Verizon. I only want to text message and Verizon won't let me do a 'just texting' plan. Right now I'm using an AT&T GoPhone with a 1000 texts for $10/month and I'd like to get a similar plan for this Droid, unfortunately Verizon doesn't offer anything cheaper than a $80/month plan for my phone.

StickFigs fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 19, 2011

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

MrGunner posted:

Budget (phone): Had my contract long enough with Rogers to upgrade though with how little I use my phone switching to Fido might be smarter.
Features I know I want: I have an iphone 3G right now and other than the fact that I loving detest using itunes it's a pretty good phone. Would be willing to switch to a android/windows/whatever phone if it was similar enough and didn't require me to use terrible lovely Apple software.

So yeah should I go iphone 4GS and just deal with it or can you recommend me a good alternative.
If you hate itunes you might be the kind of person that would like android and it's wireless and app store freedom. Or you might be the kind of person that likes how iphone "just works" and hates how itunes is somehow literally the exact opposite of that.

Android is more complicated to use but more rewarding if you put the effort in to gently caress with it. Being completely open is great if you know how to use it, but awful if you don't care. For the later group that just wants a phone that works regardless, then iphones are pretty much the best.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

StickFigs posted:

I just got an Unlocked/Rooted Verizon Motorola Droid 1 used and I want to know if I can use this phone on any network besides Verizon. I only want to text message and Verizon won't let me do a 'just texting' plan. Right now I'm using an AT&T GoPhone with a 1000 texts for $10/month and I'd like to get a similar plan for this Droid, unfortunately Verizon doesn't offer anything cheaper than a $80/month plan for my phone.

Welcome to Wireless policies of America. The Droid is pretty much only able to go on Verizon (Cricket will take it if you flash it, but they suck), and that usually works to some degree for all of these carriers.

2 options I can think of:
Go Verizon and use Google Voice for data. GVoice offers free text messaging, so that $80 plan is now $60. Note: Bringing your own phone leaves you eligible for an upgrade, so if you want a new device get the Nexus Prime when it comes out in a month.

TMobile is the only major carrier that has good prepaid smartphone options. Check the thread for exact rates, but should be able to sell; the Droid, buy a used HTC G2 (assuming you want a keyboard) or MyTouch 4G, and put that on a call/text plan with TMobile. They also have a new $30 a month unlimited text and data plan, catch is you get 100 minutes.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

Duckman2008 posted:

TMobile is the only major carrier that has good prepaid smartphone options. Check the thread for exact rates, but should be able to sell; the Droid, buy a used HTC G2 (assuming you want a keyboard) or MyTouch 4G, and put that on a call/text plan with TMobile. They also have a new $30 a month unlimited text and data plan, catch is you get 100 minutes.

This sounds like the best course of action for my needs, I think their Monthly4G Unlimited Text for $15/month.

So you suggested trading in the Droid for either a HTC G2 or a MyTouch 4G. I don't want a keyboard and I basically just want a Droid-equivalent in terms of size and power that will work on T-Mobile. Which model does T-Mobile support that is closest to a keyboard-less Droid 1?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"StickFigs" posted:

This sounds like the best course of action for my needs, I think their Monthly4G Unlimited Text for $15/month.

So you suggested trading in the Droid for either a HTC G2 or a MyTouch 4G. I don't want a keyboard and I basically just want a Droid-equivalent in terms of size and power that will work on T-Mobile. Which model does T-Mobile support that is closest to a keyboard-less Droid 1?

The best phone on tmobile is probably still the sensation. I recommended the mytouch because it is probably cheaper to buy used and still a good phone. And yeah, mytouch 4G is what i recommend if you are looking forbade balance between price and quality. That is just my opinion, there are probably other good options.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I have 2 days left to return my bionic and possibly wait for the razr. I know I could play this game for all eternity but does anyone have any input on any gains that the razr might have? I'm pretty happy with the bionic, size isn't really an issue. The razy has a better camera and a faster chip, as well as more ram. Aside from that, I dunno.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

MrGunner posted:

If you use iTunes to sync media, there's no way out. If you just use iTunes to update iOS, you can do OTAs with iOS 5. You don't even have to use iTunes to activate your iPhone these days.

Windows Phone 7 has the tightness of the iPhone experience but the Zune software is actually good. However, there aren't very many apps. There's Android which gives you the freedom to do whatever you want, and drag-and-drop if you want that. But you're not guaranteed a phone that just works.

On Rogers, it looks like the best device available is the Evo 3D for Android. It's alright and you won't have to ever use the 3D part.

cr0y posted:

I have 2 days left to return my bionic and possibly wait for the razr. I know I could play this game for all eternity but does anyone have any input on any gains that the razr might have? I'm pretty happy with the bionic, size isn't really an issue. The razy has a better camera and a faster chip, as well as more ram. Aside from that, I dunno.

If there's an Android phone I'd wait out for, it'd be the Nexus Prime. But the Bionic seems alright, and Motorola seems to update their high-end devices.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

Duckman2008 posted:

The best phone on tmobile is probably still the sensation. I recommended the mytouch because it is probably cheaper to buy used and still a good phone. And yeah, mytouch 4G is what i recommend if you are looking forbade balance between price and quality. That is just my opinion, there are probably other good options.

All those suggestions are all too expensive used. I'm looking for something around $100 used that will work on T-Mobile and is roughly equivalent to a Droid without a keyboard in terms of size and power.

So something around 480x800 and can run stuff just as good or better than the Droid for around $100 used.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

You're being unreasonable, anything you're going to find cheaper than a myTouch 4G is basically pigshit in phone form (unless T-Mo Nexus Ones can be found lower than that). The mT4G on the other hand is the absolute perfect realization of price and "good enough to be pleasant to use".

I just pulled up craigslist in my area and found mT4G's at asking prices ranging from $120 on up to $200. If you can't haggle one down to $150 or so, try harder.

I have both of my parents on mT4G's and they're very happy. Find a way to come up with the extra 50 bucks, get one, immediately flash CM on it (oh god it runs so beautifully on this phone), and sit back and enjoy one of the best values in wireless.

Seriously, a T-Mobile prepaid or Value plan with an mT4G is pretty much the most-pro combination in wireless for people who don't have a lot to spend. This should be stickied or in an OP somewhere.

Spoiler alert: the reason secondhand Verizon phones (like the Droid) are balls-cheap is that Verizon's plans all cost like a million dollars a month and the phones are useless paperweights without a hugely-expensive plan. They also frequently run promos where they give away phones that are surprisingly good and all you've gotta do is sign a bigass contract for horribly priced service. They bury their device costs heavily in the service, and it's tough for consumers to recover them. T-Mobile and AT&T both have decent prepaid offerings on the other hand, and can't stop you from lighting up secondhand devices on them.

kbar fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Oct 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

kalibar posted:

You're being unreasonable, anything you're going to find cheaper than a myTouch 4G is basically pigshit in phone form (unless T-Mo Nexus Ones can be found lower than that). The mT4G on the other hand is the absolute perfect realization of price and "good enough to be pleasant to use".

I just pulled up craigslist in my area and found mT4G's at asking prices ranging from $120 on up to $200. If you can't haggle one down to $150 or so, try harder.

I have both of my parents on mT4G's and they're very happy. Find a way to come up with the extra 50 bucks, get one, immediately flash CM on it (oh god it runs so beautifully on this phone), and sit back and enjoy one of the best values in wireless.

Seriously, a T-Mobile prepaid or Value plan with an mT4G is pretty much the most-pro combination in wireless for people who don't have a lot to spend. This should be stickied or in an OP somewhere.

Spoiler alert: the reason secondhand Verizon phones (like the Droid) are balls-cheap is that Verizon's plans all cost like a million dollars a month and the phones are useless paperweights without a hugely-expensive plan. They also frequently run promos where they give away phones that are surprisingly good and all you've gotta do is sign a bigass contract for horribly priced service. They bury their device costs heavily in the service, and it's tough for consumers to recover them. T-Mobile and AT&T both have decent prepaid offerings on the other hand, and can't stop you from lighting up secondhand devices on them.

Does the mT4G use a sim card? I'm wondering if I could just stick my AT&T GoPhone sim card in one and continue my $10/month 1000 texts plan?

And how does a mT4G compare to a Droid 1 in terms of raw power? Better/worse/about the same?

StickFigs fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Oct 20, 2011