Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Captain Postal posted:

A bit of both. Partly there are a significant number of 146 crew who are no longer medically fit to fly due to exposure to engine air, and partly fevered imaginations that occurred as hallucinations during exposure to engine air.

But it's a real thing. There were even crashes that were thought to be due to pilots being incapacitated from the fumes.

The fault lies in the itty-bitty compressors in the itty-bitty engines not being able to compress cabin air enough so the bleed was taken at the final stage of the compressor right near the core, where on a normal engine the bleed is taken at 1st or 2nd stage.

That's close, but not quite what's thought to be happening.

Nearly all commercial aircraft take hot, high-pressure air (called bleed air) straight off the compressors of the engine(s) and APU to run the aircraft's environmental control system. Since this air hasn't been through the combustor section, it is essentially just compressed fresh air.

The problem with the engines in the -146 is twofold; first, they take the bleed air off one of the last compressor stages, as you mentioned. Second, the design of the oil seals in the engine are supposedly not very good; this allows engine oil to enter the environmental control system, where one specific additive in turbine engine oil (a chemical called tricresyl phosphate, which is used to improve the anti-wear and extreme-pressure degradation characteristics of the oil, and is also considered to be a potent neurotoxin) is thought to cause this issue.

It should be said that these "fume events" can happen in any turbine-powered aircraft; the -146 is, for reasons mentioned above, far more susceptible to them than other aircraft. It should also be said that there isn't yet a clear connection between fume events and what has been called Aerotoxic Syndrome - as with many issues involving science, there has been gross abuse of preliminary data by both parties with vested interests and the media alike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

iyaayas01 posted:

I dunno if I posted that or not but that dude screaming incoherently is me if I ever see that.

What's the Yukla 27 memorial look like down there?

Honestly I've never walked up to it. Even though I've driven past it dozens of times (they recently blocked off my primary route to work because of people speeding in the parking lot) my eyes have always been on the Connie. I know the memorial is smaller than the one at Elmo. I want to say it's a fairly normal-looking slab wall type of thing, but don't hold me to that.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
http://www.tinker.af.mil/news/story_print.asp?id=123223674

There's a small pic in that article.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Those 146s also seemed to get knocked around by crosswinds far more than either the bigger 737/A320s or smaller Dash 8/ATRs that now fly into my local airport.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

MrChips posted:

It should be said that these "fume events" can happen in any turbine-powered aircraft; the -146 is, for reasons mentioned above, far more susceptible to them than other aircraft. It should also be said that there isn't yet a clear connection between fume events and what has been called Aerotoxic Syndrome - as with many issues involving science, there has been gross abuse of preliminary data by both parties with vested interests and the media alike.

The article on it I read said something like of the 100 or so serious reported incidents (or 100-odd crew unfit to fly - can't remember specifics), 90+ were on -146's and -RJ's. I think it's reasonable to say it's confined to the -146 unless there are gross maintenance failures. Crappy seal design would explain it.

Which is a shame because they're just so darn cute.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Epic Fail Guy posted:

The new BA commercial is incredibly well done, and features some classics. Love that VC-10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4JdQi60an0

That's an incredibly beautiful ad! Thank you for sharing it :)

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Anyone happen to have a higher res version of this?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

MrChips posted:

For all that the Quadra-Puff is slow, unreliable and inefficient, there really isn't another aircraft out there that can do what it does. How many aircraft can carry 100 passengers off a 3600' runway?

34 Piper Archers. :goonsay:

Unless you have a bunch of fatties, then you might need a couple more planes.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Those 146's are tough little birds though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSDzsSdPwTo

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

monkeytennis posted:

Go-arounds are for quitters :argh:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

:monocle: Holy gently caress, ex-navy having a flashback about a carrier trap? Jesus christ.

Bugsmasher
May 3, 2004

Almost looked like it was starting to porpoise on them.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
drat, and I thought my student was having a bad day with landings :pwn:

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

EDIT:

dubzee fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 19, 2011

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Goddamn it, do you know how embarrassing it is to walk around in PT gear with a boner?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Godholio posted:

Goddamn it, do you know how embarrassing it is to walk around in PT gear with a boner?

If it's anything like high school PE clothes, then yes.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

monkeytennis posted:

The first comment is amazing:

quote:

This comment has received too many negative votes hide
you loving moron thats a c-5 galaxy"

Also, I just ordered this book after reading an excerpt from it in the September issue of Men's Journal. Russian cargo pilots own. There's this story about ISAF needing a generator flown into a remote operating area in Afghanistan, but no cargo charter will do it because it's contested, hostile territory and the plane won't be able to get back out.

So these Russians call up, and say "hey, we'll do it for $2 million". ISAF has no choice, has to pay them. So these ex-Soviet Air Force pilots fly back through the Afghanistan of their youth and land this POS Il-76 right on the dot on the runway, dropping off the generator they need. The Americans are like "well, gently caress, how are they going to take off?"

This bus rolls up, and the Russians hop on-board, ready to leave. They explain they bought the plane for half a mil, patched it up with tape and some rope, and intended to just abandon it on the airfield once the delivery was done.

Net profit: $1.5 mil and immeasurable :smug:

e: here's the last quote straight from the article:

quote:

"The Yanks were all going, 'Hey, how will you get the plane back?' And the crew just said, 'We won't. It's an old one - we only bought it for this job, and we're ditching it here.' Half a million dollars it cost them. They held it together with string, just long enough to land, cleared $1.5 million in profit, and left it to rust. It's still there."

and another:

quote:

The navigator's phone rang and an English-speaking voice sad simply: "Don't stop. Just drop the loving money." That was what they'd been waiting for. The strongbox and its attached parachute were already positioned; the loading ramp open. He cut the lines and $20 million was released into the sky."
Russians delivering ransom for Lloyd's of London.

movax fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 20, 2011

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

movax posted:

The first comment is amazing:

Also, I just ordered this book after reading an excerpt from it in the September issue of Men's Journal. Russian cargo pilots own. There's this story about ISAF needing a generator flown into a remote operating area in Afghanistan, but no cargo charter will do it because it's contested, hostile territory and the plane won't be able to get back out.

So these Russians call up, and say "hey, we'll do it for $2 million". ISAF has no choice, has to pay them. So these ex-Soviet Air Force pilots fly back through the Afghanistan of their youth and land this POS Il-76 right on the dot on the runway, dropping off the generator they need. The Americans are like "well, gently caress, how are they going to take off?"

This bus rolls up, and the Russians hop on-board, ready to leave. They explain they bought the plane for half a mil, patched it up with tape and some rope, and intended to just abandon it on the airfield once the delivery was done.

Net profit: $1.5 mil and immeasurable :smug:

I think that qualifies as "metal as gently caress".

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

movax posted:

awesome book story

I love you and amazon's instant delivery to kindle.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Viktor posted:

I love you and amazon's instant delivery to kindle.

I pre-ordered the Kindle Touch, but I decided this would be a badass book to have in dead-tree form, so I went for the hardcover. It'll be here Friday thanks to Prime!

The writing style in the excerpt was very good, very engaging and I didn't see negative reviews anywhere for the book. If some of you promise to be nice, after I'm done with my copy I wouldn't mind sending it on a little goon loan tour for a month or so.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

movax posted:

I didn't see negative reviews anywhere for the book

just finished reading that last week.

I'll give you one: I think his editor should be fired.

Read the last chapter first, then the rest of the book. The author starts with fragments then magically leaps to a conclusion in the last chapter skipping so many steps of reasoning. I think it reads much better as "here's the theory, now here's the evidence"

spoiler: Everyone did it.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Oct 20, 2011

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

movax posted:

I just ordered this book

Queued up, thanks for the tip.

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?

Ola posted:

Queued up, thanks for the tip.

Just plain old bought! Was going to get it for my Kindle, but it looks more like a book I'd prefer a hard copy of, and it's cheaper new on eBay than Amazon... Thanks for the heads-up :cheers:

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

dubzee posted:

Anyone happen to have a higher res version of this?

Id pay for that as a poster...

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
The biggest one available is 1024x793

This one also appears to have better image quality.

Edit: sorry I didn't see the LIFE watermark. I'll run it through photoshop really quick if anyone actually wants it.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Sweeeeeet, I can work with that! Thanks!

EDIT:
Someone explain to me what is happening here.

Also:

dubzee fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 21, 2011

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

dubzee posted:

Sweeeeeet, I can work with that! Thanks!

EDIT:

I'd guess it's using a boost sort of thing to let it use a short runway or something?

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Shimrod posted:

I'd guess it's using a boost sort of thing to let it use a short runway or something?

Yessir, rocket assisted takeoff

On that note:

Click for huge

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 21, 2011

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005

rcman50166 posted:

Yessir, rocket assisted takeoff

The video of the Herc on skids using JATO to take off in the snow in this wiki article is :krad:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

dubzee posted:

The Swiss' version of the Mirage III (The IIIS) was strengthened so it could be moved by crane around inside the caverns where it would have been kept if things got bad. It was also strengthened to use RATO packs to take off from the highways in front of the caverns.
It could also be fitted with a nitric acid/kerosene rocket engine to help accelerate or get to altitude.

(a IIIE)

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Ah ok it all makes sense now, didn't see the rocket packs under the wing at first. The angle of attack was what really messed me up.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

If you guys like rocket assisted take offs, you'll love rocket assisted crashes landings!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDlyk9E67_A

Also, seeing this in person was amazing (Blue Angels JATO demonstration): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLFB7q8tyd8

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

rcman50166 posted:

Edit: sorry I didn't see the LIFE watermark. I'll run it through photoshop really quick if anyone actually wants it.
Went ahead and did this myself, it took resizing pretty well too and it's now my wallpaper. Thanks a lot for the higher quality link. What an awesome sight.

http://i.imgur.com/W4Mgp.jpg for those who want it at 1920x1080.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
I thought I'd just leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPWtIhIFL14

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Tsuru posted:

I thought I'd just leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPWtIhIFL14

At 1:38 in that video you can see a hexagonal shape on the gorund, thats the Exmouth Harold Holt Navy base, a communications station. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Communication_Station_Harold_E._Holt
(Harold Holt was an Australian Prime Minister who dissapeared off the coast in Melbourne while swimming, yes, there are memorial pools named after him hehe)

Pretty great footage from a Mk5 though, looks great.

Edit: RAAF flew 16 FA/18 Super Hornets down the coast of South East Queensland yesterday before flying out to sea and meeting up with the last 4 new planes from America.

Not a lot of good footage yet, have to wait for the airforce to release a video from the chase plane.
Flyover of Birsbane: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01b0zc5OYq0

They did release some cool images though:

drunkill fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 22, 2011

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

As much as the Rhino is hated by some, I think they're great looking aircraft. I'm biased because the Hornet is, in my opinion, one of the best looking fighters out there. Every time I've gotten to see a demo, however, I miss it for one reason or another, but I've seen some impressive maneuvering on video.

Countdown to Blue Angels flying Rhinos? :v: I believe it's more likely they'll downsize to T-45s though.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I've started booking our trip to the 2012 air races (assuming they happen) :dance:

I couldn't help but notice if I'd waited even one day to book our Reno-LAX leg it would be 3x the price, which dictated an immediate pruchase. Now I just need to get tickets to Reno!

What would be the best place to stay at while we're there? The plan is to fly in Friday and use the shuttle. Would the Peppermill be our best bet? We don't gamble.

If they cancel the races I'm going to be pissed.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Previa_fun posted:

Countdown to Blue Angels flying Rhinos? :v: I believe it's more likely they'll downsize to T-45s though.

The F-35C will be the next Blue Angel, although the Super Hornet may be used for the two-seat rides. But thats well over a decade away.

And yeah, the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels will be using the same plane for the first time since the F-4.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

dubzee posted:

Also:

N17092, traffic is a dozen C-17s on short final...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Epic Fail Guy posted:

N17092, traffic is a dozen C-17s on short final...

A baker's dozen!