Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

diospadre posted:

Every business model is environmentally unsustainable.

My factories are run my flowers, sunshine, and happiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Ikea is pretty decent environmentally and certainly they at least try harder than generic cheap furniture manufacturers at Target or WalMart, but it's naturally worse than buying a nicer "real" piece of furniture from a local furniture maker.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Edward IV posted:

Just wondering, how well built are the Galant series?

I've heard references of Ikea products being cheap Swedish crap. However, my friend just brought up how Ikea's business model is environmentally unsustainable and how it encourages consumers to buy and then later discard their products when they get bored of it or it breaks. (Not that I'll get rid of it when I'm bored since I'm looking for practical furniture and my current desk is messy to use.)

Ikea sells a range of products, some of it horrible some of it great. The Galant is great. You also pay for that greatness. Their kitchen cabinetry is also a great deal. The carcasses are is still particle board but so is everything within 200 dollars of it, and their stuff is built just as well and cheaper with more options. You can tell what is going to last when you are shopping at ikea just from how it is held together.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Ikea is pretty decent environmentally and certainly they at least try harder than generic cheap furniture manufacturers at Target or WalMart, but it's naturally worse than buying a nicer "real" piece of furniture from a local furniture maker.

The big problem with "real" furniture is how little of it is made in Ikeas style. The couch I plan on getting is a modern piece built in the USA, but it is from a company that does build to order stuff and will cost me a small fortune. That seems to be the story behind most modern styled furniture. I can find dozens of places that sell local stuff here, but none of them do Ikea's kind of styling.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
The Galant should be among the better choices in the medium price range.

Granted, the standard top is particle board-But it is supported by a metal frame underneath.

It's height adjustable, and also offers larger expandability with different corners and inserts. There is the option to get those accessories after the fact should it be needed, or desired. Galants tend to outpace competing alternatives found elsewhere, at least for the relative price point that you'd get it at.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

I would definitely opt for a more robust desktop or butcher block if I was going to buy another Ikea desk. The vanilla particle board top has a huge dip in the middle of mine where my monitor sits and because of the weight of the Signum cable organizer underneath.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Killer_B posted:

Granted, the standard top is particle board-But it is supported by a metal frame underneath.

It's height adjustable, and also offers larger expandability with different corners and inserts. There is the option to get those accessories after the fact should it be needed, or desired. Galants tend to outpace competing alternatives found elsewhere, at least for the relative price point that you'd get it at.

Despite how cheap particle board often is, its not the case here at all. The galants surface is treated or laminated(?) much better than any other particle board desk. It'll beat out anything at OfficeMax, Walmart or whatever.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

Tab8715 posted:

Despite how cheap particle board often is, its not the case here at all. The galants surface is treated or laminated(?) much better than any other particle board desk. It'll beat out anything at OfficeMax, Walmart or whatever.

Add to that excellent design, configurable to how you want it, a sturdy steel frame, good looks and reasonable price and I don't understand why anyone would want anything else :)

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

EvilMuppet posted:

Add to that excellent design, configurable to how you want it, a sturdy steel frame, good looks and reasonable price and I don't understand why anyone would want anything else :)

drawers for one.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

Killer_B posted:

There's tons of great contemporary American design from the Eero Saarinen school (which Ikea draw heavily from) but yeah you'll pay for it. Design Within Reach is the most obvious place. It really is pathetic how hard it is to find good affordable furniture design (industrial design at all, really) in America despite the fact that American designers have played such a huge role over the last 130 years.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

EvilMuppet posted:

Also you can get it in glass, which is even more awesome looking.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I gotta add some love for my Galant. I'll take pics after my apartment is exterminated and I get it back into place, but I've got the straight desk with a single side extension, and as much as I love the space... oh gosh, I wish I had room for an L-desk. :circlefap:

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
In the UK here so might not apply to a lot of you, but I have THIS desk.

Was affordable, neat cable hide thing down the corner, the raised bottom keeps my computer off the floor and acts as a good foot rest, raised monitor stand works great for keeping enough space on the surface for your K and M. And who doesn't love some black glass.

Was a steal of a price too.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

dpack_1 posted:

In the UK here so might not apply to a lot of you, but I have THIS desk.

Was affordable, neat cable hide thing down the corner, the raised bottom keeps my computer off the floor and acts as a good foot rest, raised monitor stand works great for keeping enough space on the surface for your K and M. And who doesn't love some black glass.

Was a steal of a price too.

I recently picked up the marino series of modular desk from Argos, got a corner desk, straight desk, file cabinet and some drawers. It just fits inside my office, looks like its was made to fit. All of it together cost ~200 so that's worth a look too for any other people in the uk

Thirteenth Step fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Oct 19, 2011

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Where do you put your legs?

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!
My current setup, finally got around to managing my wires two days ago.

Rest of my entertainment mancave

e: resized to 800* (was a bit uncertain what is defined as table-breaking these days :v:)

sarr fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 19, 2011

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Might want to resize those before you break millions of tables. I like your setup, though. Clean and minimal.

e:^^ yea might have been just me, i forgot im on my work comp.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 19, 2011

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

HKR posted:

Where do you put your legs?

Tuck them up and then onto the bottom shelf?

That desk design looks terrible.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Moey posted:

Tuck them up and then onto the bottom shelf?

That desk design looks terrible.

Yeah resting feet on glass does not sound like a good time.

It literally looks like they took a home entertainment center and sold it as a PC desk.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

EvilMuppet posted:

Change thread title to this:

Post your (actual) desktop - Ikea Galant: why would anyone want anything else

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

HKR posted:

Yeah resting feet on glass does not sound like a good time.

It literally looks like they took a home entertainment center and sold it as a PC desk.

It works a lot better than it looks, the top surface is a little higher than your standard desk, so you raise your chair to match that and then without the bottom shelf you'd pretty much NEED a foot rest to avoid any pressure on your thighs from having your legs hang off the chair. So you just rest your feet on the glass.

Sure it 'sounds' ridiculous, but for some reason it works well.

Also... black glass and brushed metal makes me feel so drat modern and hipsterish and cool. (It also fits perfectly in my tiny apartment)

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

glompix posted:

It wouldn't be a horrible idea, I suppose.

It's better than most desks in it's overall class, and it's downright simple to break down if somebody's moving between residences.

cbubbles
Mar 15, 2007

I'm soooo into you

glompix posted:

I'm still really happy with my Ikea Jerker :unsmith:

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
I must be retarded if Ikea furniture is confusing me. I bought Vika Annefors storage/legs and followed the instructions to the letter - well, to the picture. Only for some reason this meant I ended up with hard plastic bits that you nail in on the top, rather than the bottom where they should go.

The instructions show you nailing these in then flipping the unit over, only that would leave the unlaminated wood exposed:

I'm also using Vika Alex drawers/legs, and ended up with the rubber nubs on the top in the right place. Thankfully it's all level and the desk isn't actually slipping off the hard plastic, so I'm going to leave it. What is a pain in the bum is that they only had the corner desktop in stock, so I have to wait a week or so for the two flat bits to come in.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

modeski posted:

I must be retarded if Ikea furniture is confusing me. I bought Vika Annefors storage/legs and followed the instructions to the letter - well, to the picture. Only for some reason this meant I ended up with hard plastic bits that you nail in on the top, rather than the bottom where they should go.

The instructions show you nailing these in then flipping the unit over, only that would leave the unlaminated wood exposed:

I'm also using Vika Alex drawers/legs, and ended up with the rubber nubs on the top in the right place. Thankfully it's all level and the desk isn't actually slipping off the hard plastic, so I'm going to leave it. What is a pain in the bum is that they only had the corner desktop in stock, so I have to wait a week or so for the two flat bits to come in.

I'm having trouble understanding something, I think: Why couldn't you nail the rubber "feet" into the unexposed wood bottom, rather than the laminated top?

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.

Centipeed posted:

I'm having trouble understanding something, I think: Why couldn't you nail the rubber "feet" into the unexposed wood bottom, rather than the laminated top?

I didn't occur to me until I'd after I'd done it. It's no big deal to prise them out, flip the unit over and put them on the correct side, but I'm really just annoyed at myself for not realising something was amiss when reading the instructions.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I suppose all you can do is move them to the bottom, fill in the holes with white filler, and get in touch with Ikea to tell them that their instructions are bad.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Just got back from picking up parts for my Galant desk from my "local" Ikea. (As in a 40 minute drive) It's 63" x 31.5" with T-legs and a beech veneer. I also got a cable management attachment, drawer, and a desk top shelf. I couldn't get reception in the warehouse, though, so it took me a while to get everything. Also, I had no clear way of telling how it would look put together in person so I took a gamble on the beech and birch veneer. Looking through boxes that had already been opened, I figured the beech looked better since the birch didn't have distinct enough grain lines to go with the darker color.

I would have probably had it put together by now if I hadn't gotten into a little scuffle in the parking lot. Not to go all E/N in here but even though this is my first accident it looked like he was trying to scam me out of money. It probably also didn't help I was Chinese and he was Korean. I don't know if he was being racist and just giving me a hard time because of it but my opinion of Koreans just got worse thanks to him.

Anyways, that sapped all the energy out of me so I won't get around to putting the desk together until next weekend.

In the meantime, here's a photo of my current desktop that I took a while back.

Not shown is the mess of wires, various computer parts and cables on the shelving beneath the desk, and a poo poo load of dust beneath the shelving that you cannot clean out without moving the desk.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Edward IV posted:

poo poo load of dust beneath the shelving that you cannot clean out without moving the desk.

Curious,

is there such a thing that'll actually reduce the amount of dust? I've heard most of the air filters are a joke unfortunately.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Tab8715 posted:

Curious,

is there such a thing that'll actually reduce the amount of dust? I've heard most of the air filters are a joke unfortunately.

Just spray it out with canned air / an air compressor regularly to prevent hardcore buildup, then vacuum the rest of your room.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

modeski posted:

Maybe it's a manufacturing defect? If you can take it back/look at a showroom one in person, I might go do that (use it as an excuse to eat meatballs/buy some killer salmon spread and cake).

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Tab8715 posted:

Curious,

My roommate has had two air filters that both work amazingly well. The first was some big round HEPA filter thing, and the new one is one of those Sharper Image-style ionizing (?) whatever sticks. I never see dust in his room. Mine room is right next door, but I have tons of dust.

It could be that he secretly dusts a lot, but I have never seen him dust.

edit: it's this one http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-HHT-090-Permanent-Filter-Purifier/dp/B000CQP3TA

glompix fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 24, 2011

MEsean
Aug 29, 2003

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Tab8715 posted:

Curious,

My basement was caked in dust. I'd take a push broom to try to sweep, and after a few minutes I'd have to stop because I couldn't breath. I ended up zip tying some furnace filters (had them left over from switching heaters) to regular box fans, and they cleared it right up.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

MEsean posted:

What make/model is that dock?

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 25, 2011

MEsean
Aug 29, 2003

Bucket Joneses posted:

What make/model is that dock?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...8H7V6RJYVCHWSVC

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I have a Fredrik I guess I am uncool :(

I like being able to put ac adapters and crap in the cross bracing.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Dogen posted:

I have a Fredrik I guess I am uncool :(

I like being able to put ac adapters and crap in the cross bracing.

Don't worry, I have one too. Very sturdy top with the metal bracings. I love mine.

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

MEsean posted:

Is that a Das Keyboard? I really want a mechanical keyboard but finding one with backlighting that doesn't suck is proving difficult. Was thinking about just getting a Das.

Kegwen
Feb 22, 2003

HandsomeBen posted:

Is that a Das Keyboard? I really want a mechanical keyboard but finding one with backlighting that doesn't suck is proving difficult. Was thinking about just getting a Das.

Ducky DK-9008 Shine Mechanical Keyboard: http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/review-ducky-dk-9008-shine-mechanical-keyboard-glow-dark-duck

I hope you hate money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Kegwen posted:

Ducky DK-9008 Shine Mechanical Keyboard: http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/review-ducky-dk-9008-shine-mechanical-keyboard-glow-dark-duck

I hope you hate money.

How do you like the Cherry Black style keys? I've got a Filco with Cherry Browns but I've always been curious about the blacks.