Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

jackpot posted:

Holy crap these are both great, thanks a lot. I'm pretty sure she's already on Google Apps, so I guess I've got two ways to make sure this works.

If she's already on Google apps, e.g. mail.yourdomain.com leads to gmail, then you shouldn't have to move anything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

drcru posted:

If she's already on Google apps, e.g. mail.yourdomain.com leads to gmail, then you shouldn't have to move anything!

I think he is :) Others may have misread... or I did :eng99:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

drcru posted:

That's fantastic news.

eightysixed posted:

I think he is :) Others may have misread... or I did :eng99:
If anyone's misreading or thinking dumb around here, I promise it's me. :)

I'm all gun-shy over this because I hosed up a few months ago helping a guy move from one host to another. He mostly uses a yahoo mail account, so I forgot that he also had a mail.hisdomain.com address running from his contact form, and I forgot to create that email at the new host (he had no old/saved emails, so migrating wasn't an issue). So he contacted me a month later saying "It sure is strange that I'm not getting any emails at mail.hisdomain.com, I'm marketing the poo poo out of my new site." Well no, it's not strange at all - that email address basically doesn't exist. In his case it didn't matter too much because he hardly ever got emails anyway. But if I lost the emails for someone who gets a hundred a day...ouch. Not the kind of thing I ever want to go through.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Thats why I always opt for cpanel's backup archives and copy everything over if both ends are cpanel (or cpanel can import accounts from other systems like plesk if you have WHM access). It will import everything, even the non-important stuff you might overlook or think isn't needed till later.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
my client owns a domain. http://www.xxx.com but a photographer pays for the hosting package for that domain.

client wants to go with another designer and wants access to the site, but the photographer will not answer any emails.

my question is...can the owner of the domain buy his/her own hosting and just point to that domain?

i appreciate any help, thanks.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

stoops posted:

my client owns a domain. http://www.xxx.com but a photographer pays for the hosting package for that domain.

client wants to go with another designer and wants access to the site, but the photographer will not answer any emails.

my question is...can the owner of the domain buy his/her own hosting and just point to that domain?

i appreciate any help, thanks.

If he owns the domain he can just change the name servers and point it to another server.

Quodio Stotes
Aug 8, 2010

by angerbot
Complete rookie here. I was wondering there is specific domain name I want but it is being "parked" by godaddy. Only godaddy ads all over it. On the Godaddy main page it say I can "domain name backorder" for $20 which seems kind of stupid/questionable. Is there anyway I can contact the person who owns the rights to the address to hand it odd/ how can I get my hands on the name (it is not an interesting or "hot" domain name at all).

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Quodio Stotes posted:

Complete rookie here. I was wondering there is specific domain name I want but it is being "parked" by godaddy. Only godaddy ads all over it. On the Godaddy main page it say I can "domain name backorder" for $20 which seems kind of stupid/questionable. Is there anyway I can contact the person who owns the rights to the address to hand it odd/ how can I get my hands on the name (it is not an interesting or "hot" domain name at all).

Look it up on whois.net to get contact information for the domain. You want to use the top one, "WHOIS Lookup"

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

jackpot posted:

I'm seriously thinking of opening a business where all I do is offer to renew peoples' Godaddy (and Network Solutions) domains. People will laugh at me...until they try to do it on their own and find themselves at the checkout screen with a $700 bill and a domain that's registered for the next 100 years (private, of course!). I'll make a loving fortune.
:phoneline::phoneline:

I think I may be outside most people's here uses. I have just been snagging the random dollar domain reg sales at GoDaddy. I have no websites that I would cry over if I lost. All I have GoDaddy do is point my domains towards my personal webserver.

I really have had no problems (I don't do poo poo besides point them towards an IP). After hearing everyone, I wouldn't register a dozen business domains with them, but for low key stupid personal use, I have no complaints.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Moey posted:

I think I may be outside most people's here uses. I have just been snagging the random dollar domain reg sales at GoDaddy. I have no websites that I would cry over if I lost. All I have GoDaddy do is point my domains towards my personal webserver.

I really have had no problems (I don't do poo poo besides point them towards an IP). After hearing everyone, I wouldn't register a dozen business domains with them, but for low key stupid personal use, I have no complaints.

quote:

In July, 2011, Go Daddy introduced a policy of blocking DNS queries from some outside DNS servers, in order to prevent other DNS queries from being too slow. Among other things, this prevents some bots from visiting websites, forcing some search engines to exclude domains hosted with Go Daddy.

On August 16, after the policy was introduced, it appears that GoDaddy blocked recursive DNS servers in China, preventing Chinese visitors from reaching websites using Go Daddy DNS hosting.

buy our premium dns or your sites will become completely unusable at random

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

So Made2Own has poo poo itself, and was bought by another company. My site has been down for a month, and the new guys say they are working to get the "data salvaged and accounts migrated to new systems."

I'm getting impatient, and I would like to have a host that I can set up two domains with. So, some questions:

1. What is the correct way to transfer my current domain to the new host?
2. I want to have two domains, so should I transfer the old domain first, then add another? Or is it better to try and do both at the same time?
3. I renewed with Made2Own a week before this crap happened. Is there a good approach I can take to get a refund for this year's payment?

Hope this is clear.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

lord funk posted:

So Made2Own has poo poo itself, and was bought by another company. My site has been down for a month, and the new guys say they are working to get the "data salvaged and accounts migrated to new systems."

I'm getting impatient, and I would like to have a host that I can set up two domains with. So, some questions:

1. What is the correct way to transfer my current domain to the new host?
2. I want to have two domains, so should I transfer the old domain first, then add another? Or is it better to try and do both at the same time?
3. I renewed with Made2Own a week before this crap happened. Is there a good approach I can take to get a refund for this year's payment?

Hope this is clear.

Decide on a new host first. Some of the made-for-idiots ones will actually help you out with this stuff. Look back a couple of pages, there are some guys shilling like mad, check them out

1. You shouldn't have to transfer your domain at all. It should be with a separate company already. If it is, just change the DNS to point to your new host (they will be able to tell you the new info). If not (i.e. if your domain is registered through made2own :pwn:), then transferring it to somewhere like namecheap is your first job. Do not transfer your domain to your new host.

2. w/e doesn't make a diff

3. ask them nicely. If they refuse, gently caress them. Do a cc/bank chargeback

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Also lol at a company called made2own completely owning people

the clue's in the name

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Rufo posted:

info

Thanks, clears things up. And yes, my domain is registered elsewhere.

Rufo posted:

Also lol at a company called made2own completely owning people

the clue's in the name

:lol:lin at this.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
If anyone is interested, BuyVM is going to be restocking today. Theres also going to be a KVM sale.

http://buyvmcountdown.cedricd.org/

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/buyvm-kvm-birthday-sale-25year-128mb-in-san-jose/

Quodio Stotes
Aug 8, 2010

by angerbot
I have a domain name I am attempting to host my first website. I have a plan for it to expand (calle me naive but I have an idea and I'm running with it). Obviously It is going to start out very slow. any recommendations what host is easy and flexible to use for a beginner? Also anyone have and good tutorials at setting up and maintaining a page? (I have experience with Dreamweaver and wordpress but I haven't used either in sometime.)

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Quodio Stotes posted:

I have a domain name I am attempting to host my first website. I have a plan for it to expand (calle me naive but I have an idea and I'm running with it). Obviously It is going to start out very slow. any recommendations what host is easy and flexible to use for a beginner? Also anyone have and good tutorials at setting up and maintaining a page? (I have experience with Dreamweaver and wordpress but I haven't used either in sometime.)

What exactly are you wanting your page to be? Portfolio? Simple about me with contact info?

Quodio Stotes
Aug 8, 2010

by angerbot

Biowarfare posted:

What exactly are you wanting your page to be? Portfolio? Simple about me with contact info?

Ideally, eventually I will have an application I have been dreaming up on there (not that intensive but requires uploading images), along with a few content pages mainly text and photos.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

what language are you going to be using to make this ~million dollar secret idea~ etc

actually working out your requirements properly is the first step towards picking suitable hosting

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

is it like facebook? I've been looking to get in on the next facebook (will work for stock)

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

Sperg Victorious posted:

If anyone is interested, BuyVM is going to be restocking today. Theres also going to be a KVM sale.

Is BuyVM any good? I've got a Linode VM right now and my bandwidth needs have gone up, but money's a bit tighter right now. Even if it's OpenVZ, BuyVM looks really cheap.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Biowarfare posted:

buy our premium dns or your sites will become completely unusable at random

Awww poop.

I have 3 domains with them. None that mean anything to anyone, but might as well transfer since renewing is the same price with them as normal registrars.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Anaxite posted:

Is BuyVM any good? I've got a Linode VM right now and my bandwidth needs have gone up, but money's a bit tighter right now. Even if it's OpenVZ, BuyVM looks really cheap.

They have good reviews, but there isn't really any point in telling you this since all their new VMs were sold out in under a hour, and they won't restock for awhile.

Most of their sales are people buying full years too, so it's not like more will open when people drop.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

ClosedBSD posted:

They have good reviews, but there isn't really any point in telling you this since all their new VMs were sold out in under a hour, and they won't restock for awhile.

Most of their sales are people buying full years too, so it's not like more will open when people drop.

They don't always restock when people drop either. Their IRC channel will get first shot at those sometimes.

http://www.doesbuyvmhavestock.com/

Looks like they opened up more stock.

Last weekend, the 128mb VPS's sold out in under a minute.

Quodio Stotes
Aug 8, 2010

by angerbot

Rufo posted:

what language are you going to be using to make this ~million dollar secret idea~ etc

actually working out your requirements properly is the first step towards picking suitable hosting

I know the guy asking questions about hosting doesnt seem like someone prone to make it big online, but trust me I'm not shooting that high and the things I want my application to do are all simple things that are done elsewhere all the time (however as of yet they have not been combined in the fashion I am thinking of). Secondly the "App" part of the site is half of it, the other half would be informative text, pictures, and links (this half is also important however). And trust me I am spitballing all this right now I haven't made any moves past a registering a domain. Just asking for some friendly advice is all. Help a brother out.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Quodio Stotes posted:

I know the guy asking questions about hosting doesnt seem like someone prone to make it big online, but trust me I'm not shooting that high and the things I want my application to do are all simple things that are done elsewhere all the time (however as of yet they have not been combined in the fashion I am thinking of). Secondly the "App" part of the site is half of it, the other half would be informative text, pictures, and links (this half is also important however). And trust me I am spitballing all this right now I haven't made any moves past a registering a domain. Just asking for some friendly advice is all. Help a brother out.

The static half doesn't require any special kind of hosting. All types of host support this kind of thing.

The dynamic half requires a host that supports server-side scripting of some description. This needn't be anything fancy; you can find dead cheap shared hosting that supports e.g. PHP+MySQL. (Look back a couple of pages, some dude keeps advertising his company, that one will do)

It's really hard to give you any better suggestions than this without you having a clear idea how you plan to actually implement it.

Quodio Stotes
Aug 8, 2010

by angerbot

Rufo posted:

The static half doesn't require any special kind of hosting. All types of host support this kind of thing.

The dynamic half requires a host that supports server-side scripting of some description. This needn't be anything fancy; you can find dead cheap shared hosting that supports e.g. PHP+MySQL. (Look back a couple of pages, some dude keeps advertising his company, that one will do)

It's really hard to give you any better suggestions than this without you having a clear idea how you plan to actually implement it.

Thanks I will check back in when I have a clearer idea just what kind of scripting I'll need to be using.

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

Anaxite posted:

If you've been with Linode for a while, it never hurts to reach out to them and see if you can make a different deal for more bandwidth. They are really pretty much the top of the unmanaged vm game, unless you are at their Fremont facility.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Anaxite posted:

I don't know what you're hosting, but at BuyVM's prices you could just use them to host an alternative download site for your files, and if they go offline you could always tap into your Linode's

I have a hard time believing that much bandwidth is available for that price, but I might try it for a month and stress test it as Ubuntu ISO torrent permanent-seeder or something equally likely to use heavy bandwidth

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
Just signed up for a 256MB OpenVZ VPS at BuyVM. It's a bit sparse... you don't realize how much Linode spoils you until you try something else. The generic SolusVM control panel works, but isn't that great; BuyVM's server performance is okay, but nothing to write home about.

It's perfectly serviceable for what it's sold as: a cheap VPS with no support. If someone here is looking for that, I'd give them a shot as the next step up from shared hosting. I'll probably follow the advice to use it as an alternate download site (or put my less important sites on it at least).

I haven't been with Linode for too long so I don't know about making a deal with them, but I'll ask in IRC when I have the time. Thanks for the suggestion.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
I'm currently on an old 1and1 Developer package that I'm underutilizing, but I've hit a snag with a business partner..

He has his own 1and1 Business acct and we're working on a SMS gateway project that requires us sending lots of email (opt-in, not SPAM). We're just tinkering with it right now so we have two clients that are helping us work out the kinks and we've found a big one:

1and1 limits email to really low numbers (I think it's 20/min) which is unacceptable for our needs. There's about 100 subscribers per client right now so we hit that wall insanely quickly since the messages are stored in a queue and sent out hourly as a cron. Regardless, we'd hit the daily limit ceiling if we chunked them up.

I've shopped around on all the "goon run" hosting sites and found Hostdime to be a great bargain for what we needed, unfortunately they have a hard cap on email too. I'm working with their sales team to find a solution, but in the interim I'm going to do what I should've done from the beginning and check here.

Needs:
* Ability to send bulk levels of email via PHP scripting
* Reseller abilities (we're looking into offering microsite hosting/web design in the future and the ability to set up their account and then "release" it to them is nice)
* Managed and preferably not dedicated. I don't have the time right now to learn Plesk (it's scary) since this is a side project. I was comfortable in 1and1's cPanel.

Wants:
* Relatively inexpensive. $30-$40 would be nice for now since I'm trying to curb costs.
* Easy to understand. We're currently trying out 1and1 "Cloud Servers" at $50/mo but it's Plesk, scary, and unmanaged. We're business people not full blown webadmins so we're just playing the guessing game when we're setting this up.

Don't Want:
* Don't want to have to use third party email relays. I would love to need this because it means we're making enough money to justify it, but until we do it's added overhead.
* SMS Provider (ie Clickatell, et al) because it kinda nukes our value add of offering flat price marketing.

Suggestions? Sorry about the wall of text, I figured it'd be better off putting it all in one post rather than Q&A style.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Got a reply from Hostdime; it's going to be $100/mo for a dedicated server if we go that route. Still open to suggestions.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Send a ticket to Innohosting's sales department with your needs. They have reseller accounts that are within your budget. You don't have to deal with dedicated server administration and they use cPanel, so you should be familiar. They'll also migrate your stuff over from 1and1 no charge.

From their ToS on mailing lists:

3.5 Mailing Lists - InnoHosting has allocated tools to ensure proper delivery of opt-in opt-out mailing lists and normal email. It is important that you use these tools accordingly. All full packages include access to the pre-installed Mailman Mailing List Software. Large mailing lists, (those exceeding 500 subscribers) sent using the InnoHosting Services, must be sent using the mailing list tools that have been pre-installed for this purpose. If your mailing list exceeds 1,500 addresses you should contact InnoHosting requesting permission to send the mailing through the InnoHosting servers prior to sending any messages. Sending a large mailing through mailing list software other than InnoHosting pre-installed software can adversely affect the flow of email. Should such a large mailing disrupt normal services or create unacceptable server loads, the account associated with the mailing risks termination.

3.5a Mailing lists operated on InnoHosting servers must be double opt-in with specific clear instructions in order to opt-out

less than three fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 24, 2011

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

ryanbruce posted:

Got a reply from Hostdime; it's going to be $100/mo for a dedicated server if we go that route. Still open to suggestions.

I don't know what to tell you besides "reconsider third party" for bulk email and then do everything else through a separate provider. Bulk email providers are probably cheaper, more secure, and easier to work with, and are definitely (assuming they are reputable) less likely to get your emails blacklisted.

Gelob
Jun 9, 2006

ryanbruce posted:

If that $100 includes CPanel that is not a bad deal. If your used to CPanel and the server won't be managed I would go that route instead of trying Plesk.

If you decide to consider 3rd parties you should look at SendGrid. The pricing should be within your budget and from what I hear they have a really nice API.

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005

ryanbruce posted:

PM me your ticket ID and I can toss you a coupon at HD :)

edit: found your ticket by searching "goon" in our system. Check it for a little further of a discount :)

auruspex fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Oct 25, 2011

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
For what it's worth, I use Constant Contact to manage a list of about 1,300 contacts, and have no problems. I'd recommend them.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
SMS gateways by the carrier are meant for nonbulk noncommercial use. You will get blacklisted. Usually permanently.

Mass mailing is typically paid for at some point - Mailchimp et al pay every major provider for whitelisting, and you're going to get instabinned.

You HAVE to use something like Clickatell or you WILL get blacklisted and possibly referred for legal action because some places miht have laws concerning mobile phones and spam.

You want $40 a month to send infinite amounts of mail, not happening. You pay per message sent/pay per person on your list, that's how it works pretty much.

You'll also be paying much much more than $100 for a shortcode to manage unsubscribes and other stuff.

You have to do a double opt in if the input was via the web (confirmation that handset is owned by said user), and some other stuff. Carriers in the US tend to have their own rules, AFAIK T-Mobile will randomly audit.

quote:

The AT&T Audit and Monitoring Team will execute audits periodically.
Some campaigns and Content Providers will be audited more
frequently based on their previous performance.

AT&T will waive certification requirements for Fortune 500 companies
at AT&T’s sole discretion.

The AT&T SMS Campaign Certification process is in place to certify
campaign compliancy and functionality prior to launching the service
into a production environment. Aggregators will not promote traffic to new campaigns until
notification is received from the AT&T Certification Team that the
campaign is certified and ready for customer use. Failure to comply
could result in de-provisioning or other penalties.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 25, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We don't send any SMS messages, but we send out ~ 100,000 emails a day. These are all people who are registered for our programs.

Usually they are daily, tips, recipes, and the occaisonal reminder that their program is ending soon or other notifications.

We simply use our dedicated server at Rackspace. I'm pretty sure you can't get a server there for anywhere near $100/month but you can at other providers, no problem. Occaisonally we'll get a company that blocks our server, but we'll call their IT staff and get it worked out. We'd never be able to pay a third-party service to do this for us, it would be way too expensive.

We use some lovely software called 'Campaign Enterprise' to do most of them, the rest are dynamically generated by our software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
Looking to buy some hosting probably tomorrow, plus a domain. Just to run a band website, primarily a forum (MyBB looks alright). I've previously used Dreamhost but I'm just checking out my options. Any recommendations? I don't need loads of space or anything, just something stable and not too expensive.