Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

RHTITE posted:

Every single Metal scene ever has been largely fueled by competition. That's how the Slayers, Morbid Angels, Darkthrones, etc all became the trend setters in their eras and genres. They rose above their peers by making better music and being chosen by their scenes and the traders. That's why Slayer became the legends and Attitude Adjustment didn't. It's only natural to measure yourself up against others and try to exceed them, especially in a group setting filled with teenaged and young adult males.

By "the Darkthrones" I'm assuming you're referring to the early norwegian black metal scene including Mayhem, Emperor, Burzum, etc. I'll agree that there was competition but it was hardly about making better music and was really so much about fighting the mainstream and trendsetters that, ironically, they became the trendsetters.

edit: I think this is entirely relevant http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0HX8d3SKzA

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

By "the Darkthrones" I'm assuming you're referring to the early norwegian black metal scene including Mayhem, Emperor, Burzum, etc. I'll agree that there was competition but it was hardly about making better music and was really so much about fighting the mainstream and trendsetters that, ironically, they became the trendsetters.

edit: I think this is entirely relevant http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0HX8d3SKzA

In the early Black Metal scene it absolutely was about musical quality, manifested in how "true" your band was. Obviously, there was a lot of consideration there for image, but you had to have the music to back it up.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Dismember announced today that the band has called it quits: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=164728

Pioneers and leaders of extreme metal in the 90s, they never really got back on track after Fred left the band a few years ago. They had a great run, but it's a shame that I never got to see them.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I just read that too. Wow, that really brought down my day. Looks like I'll be going through their discography this week.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Sad to see one of my all time favorite death metal bands call it quits. They had an amazing run

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Last night went and saw Katatonia and Opeth. Even though Mikael isn't using his harsh vocals anymore, I liked the obscure stuff they played. Reminds me of the stuff I hear on Deep Tracks on XM/Sirius but heavier. And as always Mikael is hilarious.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009
I guess I'm a little late posting this but there is a new Ne Obliviscaris song up
(http://neobliviscaris.bandcamp.com/track/and-plague-flowers-the-kaleidoscope)

And it is in fact amazing. I more than anyone expected this to be a cluttered piece of poo poo that they kind of lucked out with the demo. Hearing them live also sounded like a total cluster gently caress. This recording is great though. The harsh vocals wreck it a fair amount for me - distant vocals say more than grim growls do. Check it out.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Dismember is one of my favourite bands but it is probably no big loss that they're splitting up. Their later albums weren't really anything special, the biggest loss is that they won't be touring anymore.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Vektor's Myspace says the release date for the new album, Outer Isolation, is November 22nd. Excitement.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Hellwuzzat posted:

Vektor's Myspace says the release date for the new album, Outer Isolation, is November 22nd. Excitement.

:gizz: Oh God! :gizz:

I anticipate this album so much. Black Future was one of the best thrash releases in recent memory, and I hope this new album lives up to that.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

MrBling posted:

Dismember is one of my favourite bands but it is probably no big loss that they're splitting up. Their later albums weren't really anything special, the biggest loss is that they won't be touring anymore.

I'm quite sad about it because I really liked their last album but yeah most of their later period is meh

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

MrBling posted:

God this brought me down. :(

Dismember was one of three bands that got me into death metal with Death is only the Beginning 2 compilation nuclear blast used to put out.

At least I got to see them live once with Grave opening. One of the best shows ever.

gently caress. But I guess I should get used to this kind of news since all of the greats aren't getting any younger...

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Morbid Florist posted:

God this brought me down. :(

Dismember was one of three bands that got me into death metal with Death is only the Beginning 2 compilation nuclear blast used to put out.

At least I got to see them live once with Grave opening. One of the best shows ever.

gently caress. But I guess I should get used to this kind of news since all of the greats aren't getting any younger...

The one that is really going to hurt is when Napalm Death announces their split. All of the guys are in their mid-forties and Barney is almost fifty. God damnit, I just made myself even more depressed, because it will happen some time.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Metal lives on :regd10:

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Turk February posted:

The one that is really going to hurt is when Napalm Death announces their split. All of the guys are in their mid-forties and Barney is almost fifty. God damnit, I just made myself even more depressed, because it will happen some time.

Don't worry, Barney is only 42 and they just finished a new album. They have been surprisingly active through recent years and those guys have been at it so long that they seem to do nothing but play in bands (at least Shane). While Dismember were hardly active, Napalm Death have just kept going, it's amazing for guys who have been doing it for so long.

As a reminder of how much rear end he kicks, here's a video of Barney from ND covering Metallica with Dream Theater: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYu3jSpHYc8

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Zodijackylite posted:

Don't worry, Barney is only 42 and they just finished a new album. They have been surprisingly active through recent years and those guys have been at it so long that they seem to do nothing but play in bands (at least Shane). While Dismember were hardly active, Napalm Death have just kept going, it's amazing for guys who have been doing it for so long.

As a reminder of how much rear end he kicks, here's a video of Barney from ND covering Metallica with Dream Theater: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYu3jSpHYc8
Why the gently caress did I think Barney was almost fifty? I must be confusing him with someone else. As amazing as Napalm Death are, it is even more amazing that it's just been the same core group of guys since the mid-90s creating awesome songs one after another.

I can't wait for that new album that comes out in (I believe) January. It was supposed to come out either this month or next, but it got postponed for some reason. Oh well, as long as I get my Napalm Death fix then we're all good.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
I hope Maiden doesn't break up before I get the chance to see them, Nicko is pushing 60 :(

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
I think Nicko's still got a few years left in him judging from the energy he seems to have whenever I've seen them live or in clips in the last few years. They all seem to take pretty decent care of themselves in that band.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Bruce Boxliker posted:

I hope Maiden doesn't break up before I get the chance to see them, Nicko is pushing 60 :(

They tour three times a year, and Bruce has more energy than the sun. They'll live off his aura forever.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Turk February posted:

Why the gently caress did I think Barney was almost fifty? I must be confusing him with someone else. As amazing as Napalm Death are, it is even more amazing that it's just been the same core group of guys since the mid-90s creating awesome songs one after another.

I can't wait for that new album that comes out in (I believe) January. It was supposed to come out either this month or next, but it got postponed for some reason. Oh well, as long as I get my Napalm Death fix then we're all good.

I'm just going to guess that you were thinking of Martin van Drunen, who is similar to Barney in that they both had successful tenures in early death metal bands (Pestilence & Benediction) and had moved on to new bands by 1991 (Asphyx & Napalm Death). van Drunen is 45 or 46 and he's the one that is fairly similar in my mind.

Pete Sandoval is 48, Trey and Dave are 46. Drumming at such an insane pace at almost 50 years old is mind-blowing though, especially when he's recovering from back surgery and talking about pushing the boundaries of deathgrind with a new Terrorizer album.

The thing that really strikes me with these guys isn't the more successful bands like Iron Maiden or Morbid Angel still touring (and headlining), it's the ones like Napalm Death that are incredibly important but still touring low. I saw ND in 2006 in the fourth slot opening for Hatebreed, below Exodus and The Black Dahlia Murder. Shane Embury was in the band before I was born ('88), they were touring out of an old van when Tomas Lindberg handed them an At The Gates demo, ATG became legends and broke up 15 years ago, and every metalhead knows who both bands are. Napalm Death didn't split up, they haven't gone three years without making an album since the 80s, and these guys are in their 40s playing lower support slots on the other side of the world, living out of a van. They have two decades of doing what is often too much for guys half their age, it's unbelievable.

Barney is a really smart guy too, despite being English he was quite well-versed in American politics and spent quite some time talking to and 18 year old me about various subjects while bands above them played and nobody else even recognized him. Five years and many shows later that has set in and it still doesn't click in my mind with anything other than insane dedication to music.

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 18, 2011

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

ND was here in Winnipeg tonight, I regret not going but exams... UGH. :( They were the first band I heard as a kid that were extreme, Twist the Knife Slowly is one of my most beloved songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I48hapgnt7g

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Philthy posted:

They tour three times a year, and Bruce has more energy than the sun. They'll live off his aura forever.

They're not aging; Nicko just gets uglier and uglier, I guess it's a Dorian Grey kind of situation. Couple more years and they won't need an Eddie puppet.

p4vl
Aug 13, 2004

I've been almost hopelessly out of touch with metal for the last 5 years for many reasons. Mostly because modern metal is not my thing.

I used to stay current by posting on metal-oriented message boards, but the boards I used to frequent have either closed down or are now more about internet friendships than music (relapse records forum).

Can anyone recommend a metal forum with people that aren't a bunch of narrow-minded idiots (maybe even with a sense of humor)?

p4vl
Aug 13, 2004

Zodijackylite posted:

The thing that really strikes me with these guys isn't the more successful bands like Iron Maiden or Morbid Angel still touring (and headlining), it's the ones like Napalm Death that are incredibly important but still touring low. I saw ND in 2006 in the fourth slot opening for Hatebreed, below Exodus and The Black Dahlia Murder. Shane Embury was in the band before I was born ('88), they were touring out of an old van when Tomas Lindberg handed them an At The Gates demo, ATG became legends and broke up 15 years ago, and every metalhead knows who both bands are. Napalm Death didn't split up, they haven't gone three years without making an album since the 80s, and these guys are in their 40s playing lower support slots on the other side of the world, living out of a van. They have two decades of doing what is often too much for guys half their age, it's unbelievable.

What else do they know? Living out of a van probably sucks no matter how used to it you are but if they broke ND up and joined other bands, they might not get to come to the US at all. Besides, ND sucked out loud for most of the nineties and then got angry and focused again with Enemy of the Music Business. I think they're the only old school grindcore band to do that, so why should they hang it up?

Zodijackylite posted:

Barney is a really smart guy too, despite being English he was quite well-versed in American politics and spent quite some time talking to and 18 year old me about various subjects while bands above them played and nobody else even recognized him. Five years and many shows later that has set in and it still doesn't click in my mind with anything other than insane dedication to music.

I saw ND with Nile back in 2003 at the Norva in Norfolk, VA and it was a loving rape. A lot of technical Death bands lose their power in a live situation because you can't understand anything (could have been the mix), but Napalm's Simpler, Heavier songs destroyed Nile. Kevin Sharp was ND's roadie and he even sang the backup on Nazi Punks gently caress Off, so Nile had no chance, despite putting on a very tight show.

Barney was also wise/kind enough not to bum everyone out by going off on a long political tangent in front of an audience in an city with the biggest naval base in the world just as the Iraq War was gearing up. He just said "Say No to War". I thought that was cool of him to speak his peace and then return to roaring like a razorback.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Speaking of old bands, apparently Venom has a new album coming out?

Cronos is, ironically, not aging well.

Imagine Harvey Keitel playing the Cryptkeeper, and then look at that picture. You can't tell me I'm wrong.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Philthy posted:

I've seen Maiden a bunch of times and they put bands a third their age to shame. I have no idea how Bruce runs around like that while singing the way he does for a 2 hour set.

p4vl
Aug 13, 2004

QPZIL posted:

Imagine Harvey Keitel playing the Cryptkeeper, and then look at that picture. You can't tell me I'm wrong.

You know what I just imagined? A naked Cronos dancing slowly and weeping ala Bad Lieutenant. I can tell you you're wrong.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

p4vl posted:

You know what I just imagined? A naked Cronos dancing slowly and weeping ala Bad Lieutenant. I can tell you you're wrong.

I revise my statement.

Imagine Harvey Keitel playing Ronnie James Dio in a Hollywood biopic.

Now look at that image.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
It's punk, so I guess they're expected to live even shittier than the metal guys, but watching 55 year old Joey Shithead at a DOA gig in a small town in Canada play to like 50 kids at 12 bucks a pop made me realize just how committed some of these old school guys are to the lifestyle. No one makes it big in punk or metal, but seeing someone my dad's age still working at that level kinda weirded me out.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 18, 2011

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
A lot of these guys aren't doing it because they're committed to the lifestyle, they're doing it because they can't afford to stop touring and after 20-30 years of not doing anything but touring they're not qualified for any other job that can support them.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

fatherdog posted:

A lot of these guys aren't doing it because they're committed to the lifestyle, they're doing it because they can't afford to stop touring and after 20-30 years of not doing anything but touring they're not qualified for any other job that can support them.

I'm sure a majority of them would know enough about the business to do something else in it as well to make more money.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Hey guys fill in the list with some recommendations: Amon Amarth, Atlantean Kodex, Beyond The Sixth Seal, Chimp Spanner, Dark Tranquility, Dethklok, Dimension Zero, Dissection, Duskfall, Einsferum, Hypocrisy, In Flames, Salem, Spawn of Possession.

I don't care if the band takes themselves seriously or are total joke/gimmick bands as long as the music is good.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Dameius posted:

Hey guys fill in the list with some recommendations: Amon Amarth, Atlantean Kodex, Beyond The Sixth Seal, Chimp Spanner, Dark Tranquility, Dethklok, Dimension Zero, Dissection, Duskfall, Einsferum, Hypocrisy, In Flames, Salem, Spawn of Possession.

I don't care if the band takes themselves seriously or are total joke/gimmick bands as long as the music is good.

Dragonforce, Opeth, Powerglove

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

Weaponized Cum posted:

Dragonforce, Opeth, Powerglove

You misspelled Austrian Death Machine three times? :v:

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Hellwuzzat posted:

You misspelled Austrian Death Machine three times? :v:

Five Finger Death Punch is the only correct answer.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 22, 2016

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Turk February posted:

Five Finger Death Punch is the only correct answer.

Except that he wants good music.

edit: vvvv That's possible, but it's a chance I'm not willing to take. :colbert:

Gorilla Radio fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 19, 2011

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Gorilla Radio posted:

Except that he wants good music.

You don't get jokes. Who would sincerely recommend Five Finger Death Punch?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Dameius posted:

Grand Magus, Turisas, Crimfall, Arch Enemy, Amorphis, Before The Dawn, Scar Symmetry, Moonsorrow, Insomnium.
Dunno which bands you already know, so I gave a bunch. The fact that most of those bands are Finnish is pure coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

No offense to the recommendations, but my god stay away from recent Amorphis. Their current vocalist can't sing clean for poo poo so they use a disgusting amount of autotune on him, yet they keep having him do more and more clean vocals. Silent Waters and before is good though.