Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't think Schur was really going for "woe is me" or trying to make people feel sorry for the Red Sox. He was just pissed at the front office, fans, and media for overreacting to the end of the season collapse and running off a good GM and manager, which is a valid point that I don't think has been brought up enough in the mainstream media, even if it is kind of obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
I think it -was- a "woe is me" piece, but more in the sense of "gently caress now all these idiots won't shut up about the curse again".

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
it was an exsanguination piece with a very strong perspective that no one had written to that point, and it was worth writing (and reading).

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

MorningView posted:

I don't think Schur was really going for "woe is me" or trying to make people feel sorry for the Red Sox. He was just pissed at the front office, fans, and media for overreacting to the end of the season collapse and running off a good GM and manager, which is a valid point that I don't think has been brought up enough in the mainstream media, even if it is kind of obvious.

This, this, and this some more.

I thought the piece was awesome. It was about, in three words: Curses don't exist. Schur has never stopped appealing to logical arguments over emotional ones and this piece does exactly that.

Grantland has become "must browse" as opposed to "must read" now that it's hitting a flow of content and I thought it was one of the better pieces over the past couple of weeks.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Grantland has become "must browse" as opposed to "must read" now that it's hitting a flow of content and I thought it was one of the better pieces over the past couple of weeks.

I'm really looking forward to the Grantland Quarterly thing they're doing with McSweeney's. There are enough good pieces to make a quarterly compilation really nice, especially if the extras they're putting in end up being as nice as they sound. They're putting in "original fiction, new writing from editor-in-chief Bill Simmons, posters and pull-out sections, old-school baseball cards and mini-booklets", which is all cool sounding aside from the Simmons thing.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Okay, you all need to read Spencer Hall's recent editorial on Tim Tebow likerightnowyouguyscomeon

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

I'm really looking forward to the Grantland Quarterly thing they're doing with McSweeney's. There are enough good pieces to make a quarterly compilation really nice, especially if the extras they're putting in end up being as nice as they sound. They're putting in "original fiction, new writing from editor-in-chief Bill Simmons, posters and pull-out sections, old-school baseball cards and mini-booklets", which is all cool sounding aside from the Simmons thing.

That's true, this could be a great deal. Certainly a collector's item.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

This, this, and this some more.

I thought the piece was awesome. It was about, in three words: Curses don't exist. Schur has never stopped appealing to logical arguments over emotional ones and this piece does exactly that.

It reads like the exact opposite to me. No, he's not claiming there's a magic curse, just that the Red Sox have some sort of loserly way about them that their front office mistakes and the overzealous media are going to return them to. So, you know, basically a magic curse.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mornacale posted:

It reads like the exact opposite to me. No, he's not claiming there's a magic curse, just that the Red Sox have some sort of loserly way about them that their front office mistakes and the overzealous media are going to return them to. So, you know, basically a magic curse.

I thought it was clear that he was arguing that the narratives currently going on in the Boston media, that people were lazy or Francona was terrible or whatever, are doing more damage to the team than anything that's actually happened on or off the field.

There's not some curse or loserly way about them, just a lot of internal/external fighting and mudslinging that's potentially driving away talented people.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Okay, you all need to read Spencer Hall's recent editorial on Tim Tebow likerightnowyouguyscomeon

Is it bad that I really enjoyed this? Because I did :(

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FairGame posted:

Is it bad that I really enjoyed this? Because I did :(

Not at all. Spencer Hall is awesome.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Spencer Hall is funny but I got real tired of the word stupid like three paragraphs in

Also that dude needs a copy-editor for EDSBS

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Crion posted:

Also that dude needs a copy-editor for EDSBS

Speaking of needing a copy editor, someone should have pointed this out to Peter King before they ran his latest MMQB:

quote:

8. I think Mike Florio and I are getting the hang of nailing each other pretty good on Friday night, when we argue about various and sundry football things on Versus on our NFL preview show.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I'm pretty sure if anyone saw that they would have gone to great lengths to avoid pointing it out. Or at least I would have.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

morestuff posted:

Speaking of needing a copy editor, someone should have pointed this out to Peter King before they ran his latest MMQB:

I'm fairly certain he said exactly what he meant to say.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
do tweeting bloggers count? if so, check out this awesome reaction to the Jon Lester interview Pete Abe wrote up in the Globe yesterday:

CameronFrye posted:

Can someone put a muzzle on cancer boy?

not shown: even more stupid reaction of twitter telling her to get cancer and die

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Crosspost from the NBA thread:

Esquire has an excerpt from Scott Raab's hit piece on Lebron, The Whore of Akron. It's some of the most self-indulgent writing I've ever read.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'm flabbergasted by this.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Just gonna leave this here. People getting picky about the use of the word "we" in sports is a gigantic pet peeve of mine (yes, my pet peeve is people who complain about it, not people who do it), and the fact that a good writer wasted time and effort to put this piece together makes it even worse.

morestuff posted:

Esquire has an excerpt from Scott Raab's hit piece on Lebron, The Whore of Akron. It's some of the most self-indulgent writing I've ever read.

This is really, really bad. Why do we give a poo poo about Scott Raab? Self-indulgent doesn't even describe it, sadly.

nasboat fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 18, 2011

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

nasboat posted:

Just gonna leave this here. People getting picky about the use of the word "we" in sports is a gigantic pet peeve of mine (yes, my pet peeve is people who complain about it, not people who do it), and the fact that a good writer wasted time and effort to put this piece together makes it even worse.

This is really, really bad. Why do we give a poo poo about Scott Raab? Self-indulgent doesn't even describe it, sadly.
gently caress that I've been waiting for someone to write this article since I was about ten years old.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
People complaining about the use of "we" are on the level of people who jump over themselves to yell when someone says "could care less". I Just Don't Care.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

gently caress that I've been waiting for someone to write this article since I was about ten years old.

It's a little shrill, but I've always liked this take.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

morestuff posted:

It's a little shrill, but I've always liked this take.

David Mitchell is always a little shrill, though.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Grantland takes a lot of flak here, and rightly so, but their director's cut series has been pretty good. The latest is Gay Talese's profile on Joe DiMaggio, which is a little long, but a great read.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

morestuff posted:

That was terrible. When did Ignatius from A Confederacy of Dunces start taking pills and writing?

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

So I was proud to see a local writer that I know -- Matt Jones -- get to take the "Kentucky will win the national title" piece on Grantland. Then I got to his final point.

Matt Jones posted:

3. UK Fans Deserve It

:ughh:

Yeah, we are probably more obsessed than anyone, but come on. This is your shot to write for a big-name, widely-read national website and this is the best you come up with?

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

More to the point, how does a fanbase that has already enjoyed seven national titles "deserve" another one? That argument would only make sense if Kentucky were lovable losers.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Hey guys if you normalize everything in 1998 the Yankees wouldn't have been as good as they were that year!!!

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/the-11rangers-and-98-yankees-equals/

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
Has Bryant Gumbel been mentioned as being absolutely terrible lately? Because he still is.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Real Sports is an awesome show, though.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
I don't disagree but he's still insufferable.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

This type of writing usually comes off as petty, but Tom Ziller has a fantastic take-down of Bill Simmons' column on the NBA lockout. I don't really have any huge amount of hatred for Simmons, but he's been so far off-base on this that it's nice to see another writer address it.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

morestuff posted:

This type of writing usually comes off as petty, but Tom Ziller has a fantastic take-down of Bill Simmons' column on the NBA lockout. I don't really have any huge amount of hatred for Simmons, but he's been so far off-base on this that it's nice to see another writer address it.

I don't really see what makes this so fantastic a piece. A majority of it is him just giving smarmy responses to a Bill Simmons column. Anyone can 'MST3K' another person's writing -- doesn't make it good or worthwhile.

Not to say I agree with Simmons or anything (seems pretty well-known that he means well but is off-base with many of his ideas, especially regarding the lockout), but the fervor with which other lesser-known writers trip over each other to get out there and attack his stuff is hilarious.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

nasboat posted:

I don't really see what makes this so fantastic a piece. A majority of it is him just giving smarmy responses to a Bill Simmons column. Anyone can 'MST3K' another person's writing -- doesn't make it good or worthwhile.
Hey, the bold-quote + reply format is FJM, not MST3K. :slick:

While some of the responses are certainly smarmy, and while smarm doesn't equal quality, that detracts from the fact that the rest of the piece illustrates good and worthwhile points about Simmons' argumentative inconsistency (incompetent ownership who somehow simultaneously provide a superior intellectual strategic example), his want of perspective in terms of the league's attempts at expanding the product (see: targeting overseas markets, expanding digital availability) and his contradictory claims for necessary action going forward (the NBA needs to expand, but his plan relies on contraction and consolidation). The author has another good point in that this is another case of Simmons' insinuating the value of considering outside perspectives, which is of a piece with his habit of claiming that he can solve franchises' problems, should be considered for a GM position—but, "Hahaha, I was just kidding about that." It's a passive but repeated form of self-promotion.

quote:

Not to say I agree with Simmons or anything (seems pretty well-known that he means well but is off-base with many of his ideas, especially regarding the lockout), but the fervor with which other lesser-known writers trip over each other to get out there and attack his stuff is hilarious.
More Readers ≠ Better Than. It's irrelevant whether this guy is less of a household name; he happens to have had a cogent and thoughtful reply (if, yeah, a bit smarmy). Also, part of the reason that other writers don't really feel circumspect about getting out there and ripping on his stuff is because Simmons has carefully packaged that opportunity for them. He's always presented himself as an everyman or everyfan, which means that he's essentially said that anyone who responds to him can respond to him as a peer. That's what makes it funny when he occasionally pulls the huffy "well, these people don't get it, they're just bloggers" routine and when his fans take up that argument in support of him. It's not a winning strategy when you've crafted a persona that makes you indistinguishable from a blogger yourself.

Anyway, if you want to read a non-smarmy reply to Simmons, there's a good one here. (Hat tip to Vbabby, who rules.)

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Holocausplay posted:

Anyway, if you want to read a non-smarmy reply to Simmons, there's a good one here. (Hat tip to Vbabby, who rules.)

On the one hand, given the long history of Simmons' writing, I'm more inclined to think that Simmons just used unfortunate phrasing rather than trying to signal a dog whistle about 'dumb black athletes.'

On the other hand, he is doing a pretty awkward job of trying to walk back his comments on Twitter:

Bill Simmons posted:

Could anyone else who twists my "limited intellectual capital" comment around from yesterday's column please note that...I'd have the same concerns for NHL/NFL/MLB players? Athletes are trained/conditioned to play sports, not save their sports economically.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Oh, I see, so it's just "dumb jocks" rather than "dumb blacks" well I guess that's perfectly reasonable. :allears:

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

nasboat posted:

Oh, man, I completely forgot about this. Have you ever read how this dude deals with critics online and how much time he spends on people who don't think he's awesome?

This whole Slate piece from Scocca is riddled with links to this dude flying off the handle about everything, but this message board post against a "nobody" just ends it:

Chris Jones posted:

You're very brave, daemon, a regular folk hero. Your crusade against my blog should earn you medals, totems erected in your honor. You jumped into the fray like a regular trenchman, your bayonet flashing, your blood pumping.

You're calling me pathetic? Jesus. But here you go. This is what you're asking for, and I aim to please:

"If you don't care whether your writing earns an audience, or money, or an award, then you will never, ever earn any of those things with your words. You will be a failure."

You seem to be confusing the word "or" with the word "and."

If you don't care whether your writing earns any of those things—and I'm talking about journalism here, not poetry, not screenwriting, not literature, but journalism—then you will not make it. That's a fact. That's a pure unavoidable fact of this business. Because it's a business. It's market-driven. It's customer-driven. That's how it works. And if your supremely talented friends tell you—when you beg them for crumbs of wisdom, which they brush off their table for you—that they have somehow made it without giving a poo poo about any of those things, they are either aberrations or liars.

Now, let's get to the heart of the matter: you. I can't be certain why you didn't make it, because clearly you didn't—you know writers with my exact job, but you're not one of them, are you?

Luckily, though, I have an idea.

Maybe your friends are twice as talented as me, but I'll bet a considerable sum of money (because I care about money; I'd rather have it than not, which I know makes me crazy) that you're not one loving eighteenth as good as the Mystery Them.

I would also bet every penny I've ever earned that you would give a nut to have what I have.

I'm sorry you're so sad. But daemon, don't blame me for your failings. Don't blame me that the blog I write for fun has a larger audience than you'll ever know.

Oh, I know, brave, sweet daemon, your feelings were stung by what I wrote, and you're trying to make excuses—as you no doubt have for your entire life—as to why you didn't make it.

I'll tell you why. Because you aren't good enough.

And I know you're going to write, Oh no, I have made it! I'm really happy with my life! I'm better than you even! Look how angry you are! Look how insecure you are!

But here I am, and I know you're not anywhere close to me. I know you're just another anonymous Internet gangster, like jgorden, your partner in pussydom, trying to make yourself feel better, trying to prove to all your online friends that you have big balls when it comes to picking fights when you know you'll never have to show your face or your name.

But they know about you, too, daemon. We all know. We all know you didn't make it. We all know you advocated lying on this thread, the issue that you never addressed again.

We all know you're a coward. We all know you're a twat.

Now, here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to go sit with my wife on the couch and watch a movie. And after, I'm going to go to bed, and I'm going to wake up, and I'm going to be me, and you're still going to be you, and that will make me happier than you can ever imagine.

Thank you.
Jeet Christ.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
Here's a Tub of poo poo written by Murray Chase Jeff Passan

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-passan_pujols_world_series_game_two_cardinals_102011

Pujols Displays Zero Leadership After Game 2 Loss

quote:

ST. LOUIS – The kids could handle the mess. Never mind that Albert Pujols(notes) created it. This is his clubhouse, where his rules apply and where the term leader is thrown around rather liberally considering real leaders, you know, lead. They own their mistakes, like a ninth-inning error in the World Series, and they drat sure don’t let the pups in the clubhouse, the ones in their first postseason, stand and answer questions they’re not equipped to answer.

And yet there it was, an empty locker flanked by an empty chair to match the emptiness in the air. The St. Louis Cardinals had blown Game 2 at home, and it hurt. Two sacrifice flies in the ninth inning proved enough for the Texas Rangers, who turned eight innings of despondence into one of triumph in a pulse-pounding 2-1 victory Thursday night. At the center of it was a cutoff throw on which Pujols whiffed. The ball slipped away, allowing what would be the winning run to advance into scoring position. Pujols mimicked the ball, showering, dressing and dashing before the clubhouse doors opened.

Part of stardom – perhaps the hardest part – is accountability. Pujols is not accountable to the media. This is not about that. Nor is it about his accountability to fans that may or may not want to know how he spit the bit in a crucial game. Pujols, more than anything, must be accountable to his teammates, those he ostensibly leads. He needs to stand up after losses so Jason Motte(notes) and Jon Jay(notes) and Allen Craig(notes) and David Freese(notes) don’t have to.

Motte, in his third full season, blew the save by giving up a bloop single to Ian Kinsler(notes) and the line-drive single to Elvis Andrus(notes) whose relay Pujols botched. Motte talked for nearly 30 minutes, tackling the same questions again and again, most of them about what this means to the Cardinals’ hopes, something better addressed by someone who has won and lost a World Series and might know.

Across the way was Jay, in his second season. He made the throw to Pujols. It wasn’t a great one. Jay said he “pulled it a little bit.” He felt bad. He executed poorly. He also stood behind it. In fact, Jay said, he had talked about it on the bench with Pujols.

“We both said we should’ve probably did a little bit better,” Jay said.

There, too, were Craig and Freese, both kids themselves, going through the ringer. Combined, Motte, Jay, Craig and Freese have less experience in the major leagues than Pujols. Together, they make about 1/10th the money he does. Also absent were Yadier Molina(notes), Matt Holliday(notes) and Lance Berkman(notes), 28 seasons of major league service among them.

They could disappear because of the culture Pujols created, one the organization enables. St. Louis manager Tony La Russa empowers Pujols to do what he pleases, right or wrong, even if it’s the equivalent of ordering the lobster-stuffed filet and sticking the minimum-wage worker with the bill. He will face no discipline. He never does. That is life with Pujols, and the Cardinals’ Omertà means nobody calls him on it.

[Related: Ian Kinsler steals bag and Game 2 for Rangers]

One Cardinals player, asked why Pujols left, shrugged his shoulders. Another question, about whether that bothered him, produced a smile. He didn’t know what to say. And if he did, he wouldn’t dare say it.

Here’s the thing: The Cardinals wouldn’t be here without Pujols. They would be a .500 team without him. On the field, he earns every bit of his $16 million and is worth twice as much. He is the most spectacular hitting talent of his generation. He might be the best right-handed hitter ever. His ability stupefies almost daily.

It is not his responsibility to be a spokesman for the Cardinals, either. Plenty of superlative players do not like engaging the media. Chase Utley(notes). Miguel Cabrera(notes). It’s understandable. Losses hurt. Talking about losses pours alcohol in that wound. The media can ask uncomfortable questions. It’s a weird give-and-take.

Until it’s not part of Pujols’ job description – and with the media money that helps keep Major League Baseball afloat and Pujols’ salary stratospheric, it is – it’s his responsibility to protect his teammates from having to swallow an excessive portion of that grief, especially when much of it is on him. Leaders do that.

[Related: Fan bets Cardinals to win World Series at ridiculous odds]

The word leader, frankly, is loaded. What is leadership? It’s not some ambiguous thing, like the Potter Stewart’s definition of pornography: “I know it when I see it.” No, it’s a set of responsibilities, the greatest of which might be doing something so others – particularly those without the proper knowledge of it – don’t have to.

As difficult as leadership is to quantify, it’s even tougher to value. The highest-paid player in baseball, Alex Rodriguez(notes), isn’t a leader. The second highest-paid, Derek Jeter(notes), is. No leader – not General Patton – could have rid the Boston Red Sox clubhouse of its toxicity in September. Leadership is left to individual moments, defining instances – explaining away, say, a curious play in the World Series.

At first, official scorers didn’t give Pujols an error. Kinsler took a wide turn at third base, even though coach Dave Anderson held a forceful stop sign, and the scorers figured Pujols let the ball sail to the catcher to prevent Kinsler from scoring. Replays showed Pujols’ half-baked effort at squeezing the ball into his glove missed, and Andrus, who had stopped at first, continued on into scoring position and came home on Michael Young’s(notes) sacrifice fly.

“I didn’t have a real good shot at it,” La Russa said. “I heard Albert talking to Yadi about it later. I’m not sure exactly what happened.”

[Y! Sports Shop: Buy Rangers and Cardinals playoffs gear]

Tony La Russa, not sure exactly what happened? Sorry. Not buying it. He was protecting Pujols because that’s what the Cardinals have done for a decade, and that’s why he’d be best served re-signing this offseason and not going to a place where someone may dare call him out for an error. Here, they genuflect. They know no better.

Now the Cardinals head to Texas’ bandbox without home-field advantage on an unhappy flight, their streak of 15 getaway victories gone. Pujols almost certainly will talk after Game 3, because the Cardinals will tell him how bush league it looks to biff the game and peace out. And he’ll do it because when he’s not mad at himself or mad at an outcome, Pujols is rational and understands his responsibility.

In fact, that’s the saddest part. If he had cut off that throw, and Andrus hadn’t scored, and the Cardinals had pulled off a victory in the bottom of the ninth or extra innings, Pujols would’ve taken his time to shower, dressed himself carefully and stood before the cameras and notepads to talk about what a good win it was. He might not say anything interesting or of import, but that isn’t the point.

A leader leads through good and bad. And if Albert Pujols truly wants to consider himself as one, and the Cardinals continue to empower him accordingly, perhaps next time he’ll think twice before he leaves the kids to mop up his mess.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
although that dude Chris Jones is a weiner, people who use "we" to describe their sports teams are kind of dumb.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

The broken bones posted:

Here's a Tub of poo poo written by Murray Chase Jeff Passan

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-passan_pujols_world_series_game_two_cardinals_102011

Pujols Displays Zero Leadership After Game 2 Loss

Yeah, we just got a ~leadership~ article in Chicago about Cutler - http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-1020-pompei-bears-chicago--20111020,0,1295522.column

Cutler doesn't care enough! Cutler doesn't want to be there! Wait! Cutler CARES IN THE WRONG WAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Holocausplay posted:

Oh, man, I completely forgot about this. Have you ever read how this dude deals with critics online and how much time he spends on people who don't think he's awesome?

Jeet Christ.

:stare: I had no clue. I've just seen Jones' writing in Esquire and other places and have enjoyed some of his work. However, I'm not that surprised now that I think about it -- I noticed he used to post quite a bit on the sportsjournalists.com forums when I used to go there a few years back.

Step away from the computer, Chris!