Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

I gotta give them credit for actually putting that weird &e0 thing for the score on the game over screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

The joke was that the minecart didn't come off the track and then scanter off at the slightest touch. It's kind of subtle but it's there

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I think the biggest joke is adults seriously discussing the humor value of a comedy cartoon for kids

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

CJacobs posted:

In case this thread hasn't seen the lovely Cartoon Network Rip Off(tm) of Mad's parody of Minecraft yet...

Why would they do this? Do people actually think this is funny? Is there a single Minecraft fan out there that laughed at these tried and old jokes when they were on TV instead of YouTube? :qq:

The worst part is, the final joke in the skit is a "SSSSSSS boom ha ha creepers explode when you get near them this is comedy let's do it again for emphasis" joke. It's like the show not being funny is intentional because it's not even ironic mocking, it's just regular mocking.

What has Cartoon Network done to me :negative:

I don't think that was half bad. I enjoyed it.

Zenzirouj posted:

I think the biggest joke is adults seriously discussing the humor value of a comedy cartoon for kids

The show's target demographic is young adults and kids.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The joke with the track was that he was stupid and unobservant. That's it.
It was a deep-cutting knock on the inefficiency of minecart tracks and an affront to Notch's idea of balance. This show is secretly genius..

Times posted:

Zenzirouj posted:

I don't know, I think it's kind of derogatory to kid's shows. You look at this and tell me that it in any way touches the writing in SpongeBob, Flapjack, or Dexter's Lab.

Then again, SpongeBob is too fast for kids, so maybe the Cartoon Network Rip Off(tm) of Mad's parody of Minecraft is perfectly paced!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

A Sassy Dog posted:

Then again, SpongeBob is too fast for kids, so maybe the Cartoon Network Rip Off(tm) of Mad's parody of Minecraft is perfectly paced!

"Intelligently written TV show interferes with tests designed to crush individuality in young children and churn out barely literate drones who test well." Hell, I'd be similarly afraid about the appropriateness of Minecraft for children. And blocks. Are there any children's toys that encourage good test-taking habits?

Ketsuo
Jul 17, 2003
Caution to avoid damaging game info saved, hold in reset button as you turn power off.
This may be a terrible question but when running my server, if I wanted to use pre4 with that server jar, what do I do with it? Do I have do be using bukkit because I only use the default minecraft server files.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

A couple parts were funny, I thought. The ending wasn't but overall it wasn't so bad.

I thought it was alright, but it would've been 20 times better if the creeper made a proper sssss sound and said something like "that's a nissssse housssse you have there" followed by "that's a nissssse ssssssoooot you're wearing.."

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Minecraft is mainstream? Uh, I suppose it is now...

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

The Deadly Hume posted:

Minecraft is mainstream? Uh, I suppose it is now...

Can't wait for the inevitable Family Guy reference!

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

Hehehe, hey Lois! Lois! Remember the time I got blown up by a creeper?

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

PalmTreeFun posted:

Hehehe, hey Lois! Lois! Remember the time I got blown up by a creeper?

*cue clip of Herbert exploding*

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

Of course there's the episode when Stewie joins the minecraft forums.

"I will kill you Lois! But first I must kill that wretched bearded man.."

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
It's hard to call anything that hasn't been released yet, is barely advertised other than word of mouth, and has already made well over 33 million bucks in paid downloads not mainstream.

edit for content:
Quagmire: That's a nice set of boobs you have. Sssssssssssssssssss.
[Long uncomfortable stare]
Quagmire: Ssssssssssssss this isn't working is it.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

A Sassy Dog posted:

This article is awful in just about every way it is possible to be awful without like, racism and shock images.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

Drox posted:

This article is awful in just about every way it is possible to be awful without like, racism and shock images.
Yeaop. I was pretty pissed off reading it, but mostly because somewhere out there some team probably didn't get funding to research like, I don't know, prevalence and effectiveness of progressive education in schools. Nope! We're trying to figure out if SpongeBob is educational!

Minecraft-relevant: I'm seriously hoping for a good perk up in the performance of the game with this feature freeze. When mods like Optimine or whatever exist, it seems to me Notch should be cracking open the source to see what he did wrong and implement the changes into vanilla.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

A Sassy Dog posted:

This makes me wonder what playing Resident Evil at age 5 did to me.

Minecraft stuff: Kind of sucks we wont be getting whatever boss Notch was referring too in 1.9. Does a feature freeze mean he wont be working on new things at all or just for 1.9?

Tardcore fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 19, 2011

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
It means that if they stick to it, there will be no new additions to Minecraft for the next month; instead, they'll try to focus on polish, bug chasing and optimization. This will last until the big release at MineCon, at which point they'll strike the "beta" from the version naming scheme but will otherwise more or less go back to working on it as they have been. I think that's what the plan is, at least.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

Tardcore posted:

This makes me wonder what playing Resident Evil at age 5 did to me.

Minecraft stuff: Kind of sucks we wont be getting whatever boss Notch was referring too in 1.9. Does a feature freeze mean he wont be working on new things at all or just for 1.9?

It's in:

Notch posted:

Feature freeze! The boss fight is technically in the game. The fact that it sucks can be considered a bug, right? =D (right?)

I assume he intends to make it not suck. Also:

Jeb_ posted:

Finally fixed the long due "not getting resource for last tool use" bug in SMP. Yes, "I'll do it later" actually happened
Hurray!

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help

Gorfob posted:

Bukkit + Spout + Ptweaks + remote toolkit with 2 hourly reboots & 15m full save..

We run about 8 people on a 700mb server. Only gets laggy when our budget host starts falling over. That will however be a thing of the past when the NBN rolls into my area in the next few months and I start running my own box.

Weird, I can't get over four people in or it gets unplayable. Is there anything I can do to make it hold more? As I said, before 1.8 I could roll with like 10 people, no problem.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

A Sassy Dog posted:

It was a deep-cutting knock on the inefficiency of minecart tracks and an affront to Notch's idea of balance. This show is secretly genius..

I don't know, I think it's kind of derogatory to kid's shows. You look at this and tell me that it in any way touches the writing in SpongeBob, Flapjack, or Dexter's Lab.

I didn't say it was a high quality show. I said that's what its target demographic was. As a matter of fact I think it's somewhat sub-par overall.

This minecraft bit was amusing, but had a very hokey and awful premise tied to start off with. The minecraft jokes made it entertain me in spite of the bad idea.

quote:

A lot of kids shows are made to entertain adults as much as kids these days anyway. And quite frankly I don't see a problem with adults watching a show that has episodes like the one with the live-action guy in a gorilla suit. Good lord.

Er....let's get back to talking about minecraft. Preferably as swiftly as possible. :(

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems
Okay, so, I don't haven't been 'doing' prereleases. I know that you can weaponize potions with gunpowder, but did Jeb remove any of the negative effect potions? And are there some that have both positive and negative effects?

Also, as of making this post, I'm just now realizing the utility in having positive potions weaponized for use on allies. I have a feeling Old_Peculier is going to have a new item to lug around soon..

EDIT 2: VVV Nevermind I'm a dick and misread this post.

moondust fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 19, 2011

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
We're in the freeze now right? So there won't be any more pre releases until November?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

CyberLord XP posted:

We're in the freeze now right? So there won't be any more pre releases until November?

No, there won't be any new features until November.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

A Sassy Dog posted:

Okay, so, I don't haven't been 'doing' prereleases. I know that you can weaponize potions with gunpowder, but did Jeb remove any of the negative effect potions? And are there some that have both positive and negative effects?

Unless jeb added new recipes in the latest release which I haven't tried yet, there are only two negative effects; Slow and weakness. You can't have a potion with two effects now, unfortunately.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

A Lamer posted:

Unless jeb added new recipes in the latest release which I haven't tried yet, there are only two negative effects; Slow and weakness. You can't have a potion with two effects now, unfortunately.

drat, drat drat drat. I was hoping to hit people with LCD and give them the spider DOT and run around knocking them into cacti. :mad:

And just because I've got a thing for edits today: I'm about to co-op an adventure map with my friend, but we haven't decided on one yet. Or started a list. Or looked at any. Recommendations? We've watched all of the ones on Yogscast, so it can't be any of those.

moondust fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 19, 2011

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

A Sassy Dog posted:

drat, drat drat drat. I was hoping to hit people with LCD and give them the spider DOT and run around knocking them into cacti. :mad:

You can still make poison potions using a spider eye, I think.

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!

Emong posted:

You can still make poison potions using a spider eye, I think.

This is correct. You can also make instant damage poisons that deal 3 hearts of damage, with the more powerful version doing 6.

OurLivesOnline
Nov 5, 2009

let's be friends

Vinigre posted:

This is correct. You can also make instant damage poisons that deal 3 hearts of damage, with the more powerful version doing 6.

All I can ever make are potions of weakness :negative:

I also don't want to look at the recipes online because I'm a masochist I want to figure them out by myself.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
I haven't played since 1.7.3. How do I get the 1.9 pre-releases? Didn't see anything obvious on the site, launcher, or OP.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

OurLivesOnline posted:

All I can ever make are potions of weakness :negative:

I also don't want to look at the recipes online because I'm a masochist I want to figure them out by myself.

Here's a hint: you're not getting anywhere unless you find a nether fortress.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

A Sassy Dog posted:

I'm about to co-op an adventure map with my friend, but we haven't decided on one yet. Or started a list. Or looked at any. Recommendations? We've watched all of the ones on Yogscast, so it can't be any of those.
Honestly, I've recently started playing the Super Hostile map series, recently featured on that Race for the Wool multiplayer map video that was going around (in both MC threads, I think).

Some of these are branching-linear, like big dungeons, and some of them are semi open-world, like big hubs that branch off to various mini-dungeons. The basic goal in each is to survive in a hostile world. Low resources, scarce food and wood, and a lack of natural caves which results in hugely-increased surface spawns for monsters. But the adventure goal, on top of that, is to locate and complete the "Victory Monument", a glass display that needs to be filled with 1 ore block of gold, iron, and diamond each, plus one of each color of wool (which must be found in chests, not crafted/dyed). It's a fun premise, with the linear maps being more like Castlevania, and the open world maps more like Zelda.

The quality is hit and miss. Some of the open world maps seem to really suffer from being totally unstructured. For instance, I felt Infernal Sky was too spread out and directionless, while Sea of Flames was poorly balanced and too haphazard. Canopy Carnage was a clever premise but the darkness effect you get at bedrock pretty much makes navigation impossible in an already-claustrophobic setting, and I couldn't really get over that.

However, I can't recommend Sunburn Islands strongly enough. A cluster of harsh sandy islands at the center of the map hide about half the dungeons (each with one type of wool as treasure at the end), while the rest is scattered in more distant, themed islands in the sea beyond. I feel like the satellite islands are spread out a bit far, and one of the dungeons is little more than a way-too-long system of immense tunnels that feels totally out of place from the rest, but it's a really solid map overall and the dungeons are challenging and fun, as well as greatly diverse. Mazes, clever mob arenas, traps, pirate ships with working cannons. Great stuff.

I just started the Black Desert and that seems pretty good too. A solid canopy over the world makes mobs spawn just about everywhere at all times of day, and tiny holes in the cover make oases of light in a vast desert. There's an immense and unique underground layer as well, which you'll probably find sooner rather than later. Would be a lot of fun with multiple players.

He also just recently created a "Super Docile" map called Hills of Moo that's more about freeform fun with an end goal, and a lot easier than the severe challenges of the Super Hostile maps, if a less punishing experience is what you're looking for.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 19, 2011

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help
Your post just made me think of something - my friends and I have started doing 2v2 minecraft battles, with each pair hiding out somewhere and attacking each other. Are there any competitive adventure/themed maps for something like that? It could be really fun! Thanks in advance.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Greedish posted:

Your post just made me think of something - my friends and I have started doing 2v2 minecraft battles, with each pair hiding out somewhere and attacking each other. Are there any competitive adventure/themed maps for something like that? It could be really fun! Thanks in advance.

May I suggest Ace of Spades?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Giving some props to the Mad guys for being so faithful to the source material. Could do with less explaining the jokes (but the skeleton thing sets up the zuckerberg joke) and being less all over the place (What the gently caress is mark zuckerberg doing there? Why is this a detective procedural?). Still pretty drat good. 7/10

BTW, did 1.9PR5 get released already? I haven't checked with the mining and the crafts since I lost my 3 eyes of ender in that lava pit :(

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

ArfJason posted:

BTW, did 1.9PR5 get released already? I haven't checked with the mining and the crafts since I lost my 3 eyes of ender in that lava pit :(

Nope, they usually release on Thursdays, Swedish time (or like 9-10 AM PST.)

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
How long before Notch breaks down and tweets that he's added a new feature. I give it 48 hours tops.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
I am still playing 1.8. I just got an Eye of Ender. Can I actually do anything with it yet, or is that all in the 1.9 build?

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Updating to let people know that I'm in fact not dead (completely) yet and no longer homeless, and have been continuing to putter away at Painterly. Assuming that Notch doesn't add or change any more crap from the current version, all I have left to do (besides coding) to make painterly 1.9 compatible is the dragon, the moon phases, the potion racks, and magma cream.

This update is by far the biggest I've ever done, and this image doesn't even have all the new options on it. I'm conservatively estimating about 800-900 or so new graphics will be included by the time I am done.

(Click for massive):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMP
May 5, 2009

kas posted:

Updating to let people know that I'm in fact not dead (completely) yet and no longer homeless, and have been continuing to putter away at Painterly. Assuming that Notch doesn't add or change any more crap from the current version, all I have left to do (besides coding) to make painterly 1.9 compatible is the dragon, the moon phases, the potion racks, and magma cream.

This update is by far the biggest I've ever done, and this image doesn't even have all the new options on it. I'm conservatively estimating about 800-900 or so new graphics will be included by the time I am done.

Holy poo poo, loving the explosion animations and enchanting GUI.