Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

No offense to the recommendations, but my god stay away from recent Amorphis. Their current vocalist can't sing clean for poo poo so they use a disgusting amount of autotune on him, yet they keep having him do more and more clean vocals. Silent Waters and before is good though.

Eclipse was good...everything else has had moments of glory but a lot of shite too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Definitely seconding Insomnium; Across the Dark is a solid record. You might also like Omnium Gatherum. I really like Spirits of August Light, but the new album, New World Shadows, is pretty good too.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Dameius posted:

Dissection,

Unanimated - Ancient God of Evil

Closest thing I've ever heard to Dissection

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

Morbid Florist posted:

Seconding this, and also throwing in Thulcandra - Fallen Angel's Dominion, if you like Dissection. Pretty much Dissection-worship, and they even cover "The Somberlain" on that release.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

MoreMetalBrian posted:

Seconding this, and also throwing in Thulcandra - Fallen Angel's Dominion, if you like Dissection. Pretty much Dissection-worship, and they even cover "The Somberlain" on that release.

Wow they really did go all out for dissection huh? Even "ending" the record with a piano track (even if it's nothing compared to ...Breathless Sleep).

They do a good job with Somberlain though. That song ain't easy to play.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Morbid Florist posted:

Wow they really did go all out for dissection huh? Even "ending" the record with a piano track (even if it's nothing compared to ...Breathless Sleep).

They do a good job with Somberlain though. That song ain't easy to play.

Yea, it's a pretty decent album but the thing is, I listened to it for like 20 minutes and then turned it off and put on Storm of Lights Bane and listened to the real thing.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
If I've never put much effort into listening to Dissection before, should I start with Somberlain or Light's Bane?

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

QPZIL posted:

If I've never put much effort into listening to Dissection before, should I start with Somberlain or Light's Bane?

I went from Somberlain to Light's Bane, then Reinkaos. I actually like Reinkaos, but its pretty far off the mark when compared to Light's Bane or Somberlain.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm listening to Somberlain right now. God drat I didn't realize where Watain got their sound until now :shobon:

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Yea, it's a pretty decent album but the thing is, I listened to it for like 20 minutes and then turned it off and put on Storm of Lights Bane and listened to the real thing.

I actually went on a dissection spree monday so I needed a decent stunt-dissection today. It's not bad, but yeah, imitated but not duplicated.

QPZIL posted:

I'm listening to Somberlain right now. God drat I didn't realize where Watain got their sound until now :shobon:

A bit of insight as to why us old farts turn our noses up at newer bands. "I've heard this already, gently caress." ;)

I do kinda like watain but you can't not hear dissection out of them.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 19, 2011

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

QPZIL posted:

Whatever you do, just don't watch their live Rebirth of Dissection DVD. It really really killed Dissection for me, the drummer (Tomas Asklund) they got to fill in is just an awful boring mess of poo poo. He literally takes energy away from their songs, I don't even understand how that's possible.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Whatever you do, just don't watch their live Rebirth of Dissection DVD. It really really killed Dissection for me, the drummer (Tomas Asklund) they got to fill in is just an awful boring mess of poo poo. He literally takes energy away from their songs, I don't even understand how that's possible.

Seriously? I loved that DVD. He's boring to watch but he's a great drummer and let's be honest, nobody's listening to dissection for the drums.

Besides it's the only way anyone who didn't live in sweden in the early 90s gets to see dissection live, even if jon's the only guy from those albums left.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

Seriously? I loved that DVD. He's boring to watch but he's a great drummer and let's be honest, nobody's listening to dissection for the drums.

Besides it's the only way anyone who didn't live in sweden in the early 90s gets to see dissection live, even if jon's the only guy from those albums left.

Yea, he played the songs amazingly and had great timing. I'm watching some clips right now and I think I figured out why I don't really like it. Jon is like a ball of energy and he's being an amazing frontman and in contrast with that Tomas just kinda looks bored and out of place.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Yea, he played the songs amazingly and had great timing. I'm watching some clips right now and I think I figured out why I don't really like it. Jon is like a ball of energy and he's being an amazing frontman and in contrast with that Tomas just kinda looks bored and out of place.

Oh absolutely. Jon was fired up to be there, the crowd was there for HIM.

Watching Asklund more gave me the impression he's in the zone, trying to NAIL the songs. Then again I can't remember him ever looking excited to be there, but maybe he's so used to being the unseen guy on stage he figures nobody's looking.

The cover of Elizabeth Bathory though, blows away the recorded one they did.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Morbid Florist posted:

I actually went on a dissection spree monday so I needed a decent stunt-dissection today. It's not bad, but yeah, imitated but not duplicated.

A bit of insight as to why us old farts turn our noses up at newer bands. "I've heard this already, gently caress." ;)

I do kinda like watain but you can't not hear dissection out of them.

When I was in college, one of my friends was complaining about the fact that Perfect Circle sounded exactly like Tool. Another friend of mine responded "I'd much rather have another band that sounds like Tool than another band that sounds like Nickelback."

I try to keep that in mind when newer bands are derivative.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Thanks for the recs. I'll check them out later today. I pretty much have already had my fill of Bolt Thrower, but the rest seem interesting. Do you guys have any recommendations specifically for bands similar to Chimp Spanner? I've always been far more interested in the instrumentation than vocals/lyrics so instrumental bands like that always appeal to me.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

fatherdog posted:

When I was in college, one of my friends was complaining about the fact that Perfect Circle sounded exactly like Tool. Another friend of mine responded "I'd much rather have another band that sounds like Tool than another band that sounds like Nickelback."

I try to keep that in mind when newer bands are derivative.

Why? It's still another redundant band. If they aren't adding anything to improve upon the band they're imitating, then there's no point to them either.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Dameius posted:

Thanks for the recs. I'll check them out later today. I pretty much have already had my fill of Bolt Thrower, but the rest seem interesting. Do you guys have any recommendations specifically for bands similar to Chimp Spanner? I've always been far more interested in the instrumentation than vocals/lyrics so instrumental bands like that always appeal to me.

You should probably go track down the djent thread, it might be a couple pages back.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Soiled Meat

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Bolt Thrower

To be honest, you could probably just post "Bolt Thrower" randomly in the middle of every page of this thread, and it would be relevant to the discussion somehow.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

RHTITE posted:

Why? It's still another redundant band. If they aren't adding anything to improve upon the band they're imitating, then there's no point to them either.

By that logic, Motorhead should have never released more than one album.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Soiled Meat

fatherdog posted:

This I actually agree with.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

fatherdog posted:

Except that motorhead isn't copying anyone else :confused:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Bruce Boxliker posted:

You should probably go track down the djent thread, it might be a couple pages back.

Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: Found it and skimmed it and it looks exactly like what I was wanting.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 19, 2011

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Morbid Florist posted:

Apparently if you're copying yourself that's against the rules too.

Someone alert AC/DC, they should be #1 on the worst offenders list.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Holy gently caress, I dislike AC/DC solely on the fact that all of their songs sound exactly the same! The guitar tone is abrasive as gently caress too.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Morbid Florist posted:

No, but their albums certainly are redundant.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Some bands are about being innovative with their music and pushing the boundaries with every album, some bands are just about having a fuckin' killer time and partying hard and playing music as loud as it will go.

Motorhead falls into one of these categories.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

QPZIL posted:

Apparently if you're copying yourself that's against the rules too.

Someone alert AC/DC, they should be #1 on the worst offenders list.

Do the 5th through 8th repeats of the same phrase in every Iron Maiden chorus since Brave New World count?

QPZIL posted:

Some bands are about being innovative with their music and pushing the boundaries with every album, some bands are just about having a fuckin' killer time and partying hard and playing music as loud as it will go.

Motorhead falls into one of these categories.

Exactly. I have no problem with music that sounds like it was made by a bunch of dudes who grew up listening to Slayer or Maiden or whatever and just wanna get drunk and play some heavy metal, even if it isn't the most groundbreaking poo poo ever. See: Skeletonwitch, Amon Amarth.

Edit: Said bands also tend to be really loving fun to see live.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 19, 2011

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Drifter287 posted:

Skeletonwitch
really loving fun to see live.

This is god damned true. I'm seeing them with Kvelertak and Zoroaster tomorrow night and couldn't be more excited.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Motorhead has shown plenty of musical evolution to go along with the usual bag of tricks that they pull out on their albums.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

RHTITE posted:

Motorhead has shown plenty of musical evolution to go along with the usual bag of tricks that they pull out on their albums.
I will have to sorta agree with this.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Indeed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqFoqtpUFY8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voHNpmLj69o

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

QPZIL posted:

This is god damned true. I'm seeing them with Kvelertak and Zoroaster tomorrow night and couldn't be more excited.

I can't make it to the NYC show on Friday and I'm really goddamn disappointed. I saw them earlier this year with 3 Inches of Blood and they put on one hell of a show.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
I'll listen to a derivative band for the same reasons I'll listen to a band's album that sounds like a continuation of the previous album: 20 songs I like is better than 10.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Velocirocktor posted:

I'll listen to a derivative band for the same reasons I'll listen to a band's album that sounds like a continuation of the previous album: 20 songs I like is better than 10.

This was the point I was trying to make.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWzlSeGR5bU

Note: Entirely in Finnish

Basically it's a documentary trailer about Finnish black metal (manly music according to some interviewee). Every third or fourth word is translated as "gently caress" or "drat"

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 19, 2011

Feast of Burden
Oct 9, 2008

WARNING: may cause indigestion and severe heartburn

Cold Day posted:

I guess I'm a little late posting this but there is a new Ne Obliviscaris song up
(http://neobliviscaris.bandcamp.com/track/and-plague-flowers-the-kaleidoscope)

And it is in fact amazing. I more than anyone expected this to be a cluttered piece of poo poo that they kind of lucked out with the demo. Hearing them live also sounded like a total cluster gently caress. This recording is great though. The harsh vocals wreck it a fair amount for me - distant vocals say more than grim growls do. Check it out.

quoting this because it has made my week. I have so much hope for this band, it's crazy.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Nuclear Wasteland are pretty rad if abrasive crusty speed is your thing, they've got an album coming out next month.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Morbid Florist posted:

As much as I like Unanimated, both Sacramentum and Vinterland sound much more like Dissection. I actually happen to prefer both to Dissection. Astriaal's debut was Dissection on speed. Lord Belial and Necromicon are worth a shout. Setherial's Nord album is mindblowingly good but the rest of their discography is pretty redundant.

Oh and yeah, Dawn.

Other stuff that isn't so close but people will probably like includes Swordmaster,Sorhin, Kvist, Hirilorn, Sad Legend, Sentenced, Vargavinter, Algaion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

QPZIL posted:

Watain isn't really that cut and dry - there's a lot of Malign in there too, with a smattering of Ofermod. A certain french band owe Malign too.