Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Sen's Fortress. After beating the boss.

There has to be a faster way back up there, right? I lit the bonfire at the top (side note: jesus christ, if I had not found that loving bonfire after making it all the way to the roof and then died...) and went to Anor Londo, but came back because I was totally out of Estus and was lugging 40,000 souls. Then I decided I needed to get back to the parish blacksmith, and bonfired there.

I picked up the cage key at the top and freed Logan. Is there an elevator I'm missing? Or do I have to run that gauntlet again, even though it's now trivial to me after dying close to 20 times, every time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

a shameful boehner posted:

Sen's Fortress. After beating the boss.

There has to be a faster way back up there, right? I lit the bonfire at the top (side note: jesus christ, if I had not found that loving bonfire after making it all the way to the roof and then died...) and went to Anor Londo, but came back because I was totally out of Estus and was lugging 40,000 souls. Then I decided I needed to get back to the parish blacksmith, and bonfired there.

I picked up the cage key at the top and freed Logan. Is there an elevator I'm missing? Or do I have to run that gauntlet again, even though it's now trivial to me after dying close to 20 times, every time?

There's an elevator, but if you already went back down without activating it, you're going to have to go back up. Near the top of the fortress, to reach the boss, you need to pass a room with two cages hanging in it. Use the key on one of them and step inside of it, and those cages then become an elevator between the top and bottom of the fortress.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
Am I ever going to find a better set of lightweight armor than Gold-Hemmed? :smith:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

folgore posted:

Am I ever going to find a better set of lightweight armor than Gold-Hemmed? :smith:

No, unless you're looking to sacrifice some defense for some poise, Gold-Hemmed is the best set of light armor. If you want better stuff, you'll need to give yourself some more endurance and branch into heavier stuff. You want to be pumping endurance anyway for the stamina.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
Has anyone used the Thunder Stoneplate Ring? Is it worth the 15k souls for a boss fight like O&S?

I'm doing a SL1 run.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Funkmaster General posted:

No, unless you're looking to sacrifice some defense for some poise, Gold-Hemmed is the best set of light armor. If you want better stuff, you'll need to give yourself some more endurance and branch into heavier stuff. You want to be pumping endurance anyway for the stamina.
That's not true. There are individual pieces that are better. You can upgrade Antiquated Skirt to be better in every single category except fire and poison. You can upgrade Hard Leather Gloves to be better in every single category except poison. The gloves weight 2.3 more, the skirt weighs the same.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Vargs posted:

Been invading people in the Undead Burg for the past couple hours and it's pretty fun.

I think I'm going to make a character for this. I'm thinking naked except for a creepy mask and dual wielding claws. Or maybe Dragon Bone Fist / Dark Hand only.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The stats on the skirt make no sense. I wonder if someone screwed up the stats on that. Especially since it's suspiciously a flat 40 in every defense value :V

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Loretastic speculation!

It occurred to me today that Gwyn and co, and probably the ruling castes of Anor Londo, were not and never were human. Gwyn's not huge because he's powerful, it's because he's a giant. Anor Londo is built on a massive scale, guarded by elite giant soldiers. Look at the size of Orenstein and Smough, the size of Artorias's ridiculous greatsword. Gwyneviere's projection is enormous. The Tomb of the Giants is deep in pride of place, close to Nito. Priscilla the Halfbreed is not huge because of her dragon blood.

The Age of Fire never was an Age of Men.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Rascyc posted:

The stats on the skirt make no sense. I wonder if someone screwed up the stats on that. Especially since it's suspiciously a flat 40 in every defense value :V

Clearly it's so defensive cause it's a poofy skirt. If you try to hit anything fleshy under there it's going to have to go through like 20 layers of fabric and probably miss.

bluefire579
Dec 12, 2009
edit: nm, somehow got stuck on a much earlier page

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Okay, so I got summoned so many times today that I was finally able to become a Warrior of Sunlight.

Now at the alter, it says I can offer sunlight medals. I have four, should I offer them?

Also, I got this lightning spear miracle. How do I use it? Should I use it? Is it a good weapon? I'm using the drake sword right now.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
It takes 10 to reach +1. You get a better miracle. +2 gives nothing (?).
It's a miracle, not a weapon.
Also, good choice. Warriors of Sunlight: best warriors.

Antiquated Skirt actually looks really good with Havel's Armor, which is what I'm rocking now. Gold-Hemmed Black Hood when I'm not using sorcery looks good; Crown of Dusk looks awful because it makes my head look tiny.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
What is a miracle? Is that just another name for a spell?

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Mordiceius posted:

A miracle is typically whens something extraordinary happens that no one would think possible under normal circumstances.

But you probably mean what is it in game. Yeah, it's a type of spell, faith based that uses talismans to cast.

CoderCat
May 7, 2005

Science, it works. :science:
I have to say humanity is making the game a bit frustrating for me. If I can't get to my blood stain, humanity is gone. It isn't as a big deal with souls because they can be spent before tough battles. I'm fine with playing the game as undead, but I read on the wiki that humanity boosts your resistance and drop rate.

What's your usual humanity count while playing? Is it a big deal to play with 0 humanity?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Mordiceius posted:

Kinda, the spells are divided into 3 categories.
Sorcery which scales off of int and requires a catalyst
Pyromancy which only scales off your firehand
Miracles which scale off of faith* and require a talisman.

*although there is a talisman for sale which scales your miracles off of int instead.

Also don't worry about usully being at 0 humanity, the item find boost is nice and so is the curse resistance but gear can easily duplicate both.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

CoderCat posted:

I have to say humanity is making the game a bit frustrating for me. If I can't get to my blood stain, humanity is gone. It isn't as a big deal with souls because they can be spent before tough battles. I'm fine with playing the game as undead, but I read on the wiki that humanity boosts your resistance and drop rate.

What's your usual humanity count while playing? Is it a big deal to play with 0 humanity?

Mine's usually 0. It's not really a big deal, as far as I know it only affects item drop rate, but you can get a ring eventually that ups that a good deal anyway. You really only need it if you want to kindle stuff or go human, it also makes you a bigger target for invasions the more you have.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

You really dont need humanity except for rat/babby humanity for when you need to summon a bro for a boss.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CoderCat posted:

I've had zero humanity for about 80% of the game. The other 20% it gave me 5-8 at a time, which were quickly burned on kindling bonfires.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Ixjuvin posted:

Loretastic speculation!

It occurred to me today that Gwyn and co, and probably the ruling castes of Anor Londo, were not and never were human. Gwyn's not huge because he's powerful, it's because he's a giant. Anor Londo is built on a massive scale, guarded by elite giant soldiers. Look at the size of Orenstein and Smough, the size of Artorias's ridiculous greatsword. Gwyneviere's projection is enormous. The Tomb of the Giants is deep in pride of place, close to Nito. Priscilla the Halfbreed is not huge because of her dragon blood.

The Age of Fire never was an Age of Men.

You, sir, may be on to something.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
Yikes this thread moves fast. I've already asked this a couple of times but it was never answered, but does joining the Gravelord Convenant get you anything other than a sword and a spell? Would NPCs attack me on sight or something? :ohdear: I can't say no to free stuff when it's a big sword for slaying.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You really dont need humanity except for rat/babby humanity for when you need to summon a bro for a boss.

It's used in a lot covenants. I farmed up about 60 humanity to max out two of them.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Psyker posted:

You, sir, may be on to something.

This makes even more sense when you consider that you're the descendant of the pygmy. Your size compared to these giants? Who says they're actually giants?

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.
At SL 38, where should I be white phantoming? I'm having a lot of trouble getting any summons at the Iron Golem, Quelaag and O&S. Maybe wednesdays are just bad for phantoming...

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Yikes this thread moves fast. I've already asked this a couple of times but it was never answered, but does joining the Gravelord Convenant get you anything other than a sword and a spell? Would NPCs attack me on sight or something? :ohdear: I can't say no to free stuff when it's a big sword for slaying.

You "max" it out once you turn in your 10 evil eyes. This will give you an upgraded version of the sword spell. Beyond that it's just a rank up title.

Edit: Also nothing else happens outside of killing him. You get kicked out of the covenant for obvious reasons.

Edit2: You can get evil eyes from farming everyone's favorite sewer mob, the salamanders.

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 20, 2011

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

In Dukes Archive, where do I get a key to free the guy at the bottom? Aldo what did turning that horn on do? Maybe it was supposed to make those squid dudes attack but I killed them before finding it

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Every loving time I get summoned to O&S the loving host decides they want to kill Smough first and then they get one-shotted by mega-Ornstein.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
Any equivalent to the Lava Bow in this game? Low requirements, big elemental damage. I need some range on my Cleric and this short bow isn't cutting it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dawnfire posted:

This makes even more sense when you consider that you're the descendant of the pygmy. Your size compared to these giants? Who says they're actually giants?

That doesn't make too much sense unless everybody else is too. All the human NPCs are You sized.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

gotly posted:

Any equivalent to the Lava Bow in this game? Low requirements, big elemental damage. I need some range on my Cleric and this short bow isn't cutting it.

Pyromancy MIGHT fulfill that role, as it essentially requires no stats to acquire and none to scale. The only problem is it's mostly short/med range.

Edit:

RBA Starblade posted:

That doesn't make too much sense unless everybody else is too. All the human NPCs are You sized.

If you consider that you're actually no different from your average normal size npc, who's to say everyone normal size, all those marked with the darksign, aren't all descendants?

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 20, 2011

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Edit: Dangit! Real sorry for the double post...delete this.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, it is also kind of weird that the only giant who actually talks to you - the smith in Anor Londo - is all retard-strength, but one point of data does not a theory make. Or something. Maybe he's a smithing savant like the ENCHANTMENT guy from Dragon Age and all the other giants are intellectuals?

Also dude the witches and their progeny are obviously human-sized (well the parts of them that aren't hideous nightmare spiders) and they had nothing to do with Mr. Piggers so come off it

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

mistermojo posted:

In Dukes Archive, where do I get a key to free the guy at the bottom? Aldo what did turning that horn on do? Maybe it was supposed to make those squid dudes attack but I killed them before finding it

You'll find the key as you progress through the dungeon, you'll have to backtrack to release him. Once you have he will be sitting in a room next to the stairwell leading to the Crystal Caverns, here he will sell you all his spells regardless if you met the conditions or not before hand at Firelink. Apparenlty if you buy them all and kill the boss, return to him, leave the zone, and come back he will leave you all his gear. Then when you go back to the first boss chamber where you die/grab the ember, you will fight Hollow Logan who will drop a new spell, his hat, and staff. I'm not sure if you need to buy all his stuff but I did it anyways and it worked just fine.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Can someone give me a step-by-step guide (or point me to a video) of where the bonfire in the Depths is? I killed the giant rat and found the boss door, but I can't find it for the life of me. Someone also mentioned that there was a shortcut there from the room with the first butcher? I've been looking around the tunnels behind the giant rat's lair and I just fell down a pit into frog county and got cursed, so I'm a little leery of heading back there and poking around.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Phenotype posted:

Can someone give me a step-by-step guide (or point me to a video) of where the bonfire in the Depths is? I killed the giant rat and found the boss door, but I can't find it for the life of me. Someone also mentioned that there was a shortcut there from the room with the first butcher? I've been looking around the tunnels behind the giant rat's lair and I just fell down a pit into frog county and got cursed, so I'm a little leery of heading back there and poking around.
If you're in the boss room, go up to the room with the merchant, two rats, and three slimes. Walk on the side that the door to the boss area away from the merchant. There will be a doorway and an upward staircase. This will lead to a ladder. Go up it. Go up more stairs and you should find a hollow with a torch. Kill him, and a bonfire is to your left; a whole bunch of slimes are to your right (on the ceiling).

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Phenotype posted:

It sounds like you went & used the trap door behind the first butcher. When you take the "normal" long way around you will bump into the bonfire. Alternatively from the Rat mini-boss you can unlock a door you find up a ramp that leads back to the bonfire. This can only be done after you fought the boss and dropped down the waterfall.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
gently caress those goddamn curse frogs in the Hollow. Such horseshit. Super easy on the way down but such a dick on the way up when you climb up a ladder right in the face of 3 of them.

ALSO curse is bullshit. I'm fine with losing 50% health but instant death is a goddamn pain.

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 20, 2011

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan

Dawnfire posted:

A miracle is typically whens something extraordinary happens that no one would think possible under normal circumstances.

But you probably mean what is it in game. Yeah, it's a type of spell, faith based that uses talismans to cast.

What the gently caress man. Are you going to link a wikipedia article next when you give the definition of a word? Loosen the belt on your pants and just enjoy jolly posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
There's no way out of Anor Lando once you've gone in is there...

because I am in real need of multiple supplies after so many deaths

• Locked thread