Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tiggy Sawdust posted:

I've started a new character and I've hit a bit of confusion at the gargoyle battle, I wanted to summon Solaire to make the fight a breeze and I'm in human form but his summoning sign is not there. I've spoken to him and received the white soapstone, is there anything else I need to trigger?

Have you tried to summon any players? I've noticed that sometimes, if you get a "summoning failed" from trying to summon a player, the NPC summon signs don't reappear for some reason.

Drox posted:

This game always gets me when identical monsters vary in strength. Throw me a palette-swapped bone here!

This bugged me too. In Demon's Souls they had the blue and red eyed knights. In the Hollow the Basilisks are black compared to the gray ones in the Depths (though that might just be a trick of the lighting). It would be nice if other enemies did this as well.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Dr. Abysmal posted:

drat, I would have had Seath easily on the first try if I had known that all of the clam monsters that I ran past on the way were going to warp into the fight with me and completely block me into the path of the boss's attacks.

I'm awfully sure that's not supposed to happen! That boss took me at least a couple of tries, with some others taking upwards of a dozen (or more) tries. I would run straight back to the fog gate, ignoring enemies on the way, and they would always get locked out of the gate once I entered. In fact, once I pushed X to enter the gate, I enjoyed a period of invincibility (attacks that appeared to have hit me from the outside do nothing.)

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Have you tried to summon any players? I've noticed that sometimes, if you get a "summoning failed" from trying to summon a player, the NPC summon signs don't reappear for some reason.

I've yet to see any player summon signs on this run, although I just tried saving and quitting about three times, and now his sign is there. So, whatever.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

enojy posted:

I'm awfully sure that's not supposed to happen! That boss took me at least a couple of tries, with some others taking upwards of a dozen (or more) tries. I would run straight back to the fog gate, ignoring enemies on the way, and they would always get locked out of the gate once I entered. In fact, once I pushed X to enter the gate, I enjoyed a period of invincibility (attacks that appeared to have hit me from the outside do nothing.)
The first time you fight him there is no fog wall and the clams can follow you in. I do not know if that is intentional.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

So I finished going all the way through Anor Londo just to get destroyed by the dynamic duo of O&S. I only tried it a couple of times, but I can see this battle is going to be "interesting", to say the least. Is SL 51 a reasonable level at this point in the game?

On a side note, I finally did take down Ceaseless Discharge, which at least opens up a new area in the meantime.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Yeah, I did it at 45. Don't forget to grab Solaire. He won't do much damage, but making it a 2v2 (and eventually 2v1) makes it way, way easier.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.
Doesn't summoning solaire really spoil the accomplishment of winning a 2v1?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Ixjuvin posted:

Seath is a pretty easy kill unless you're going for his tail, the really hard part of the boss fight is actually getting to him. And yeah, the stuff in all three endgame zones is pretty loving beefy.

Yeah, I got him pretty easily once I made it back there. I tried going for the tail but he smashed me with it and nearly one shot so I just said gently caress it and spammed pyromancy. I just wanted to get out of that area because I got my rear end kicked a few times by archers who would hit for huge damage and those stupid channelers sniping me from two floors up. I'm gonna have to go back to farm them for their trident though, I want that thing.

enojy posted:

It was just on the first try, there's no fog gate to go through when you first encounter the boss so the enemies followed me right in and teleported to the boss's location so as I ran up to engage him they all huddled around and I had no way to escape their attacks and the crystal ray thing. On subsequent attempts there is a gate that will block the clams out.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
I summoned someone yesterday who had this sweet wedding dress type armour, I loved the look of it. How do I get it? Is it any good? (I'm guessing absolutely not because it looks nice).

I do love the variety of armour in this game. On that note, I heard there are armour bits and pieces that augment magic/faith/pyro damage. One was something from Dusk, I think, and I saw a picture of the Monk's Head Collar here so I assume that's one too. Any more?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Adrian Owlsley posted:

Doesn't summoning solaire really spoil the accomplishment of winning a 2v1?

Not when you high five him after you take down the bad guys.

I wish you could high five Solaire after boss fights :unsmith:

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

gently caress. So after screwing up Seigmeyer's questline the first time through by clearing out the pit in Lost Izalith before I even progressed his line that far, I was all prepared to do it right the second time through. So I take out a couple of the enemies with fireballs and figure i'll just jump down in the pit and melee a bit before running away to weaken them as much as possible. I get back upstairs, and suddenly... +2000 souls.... +2000 souls. The stupid monsters just walked into the frigging pits trying to follow me upstairs and I got screwed out of the whole thing again. After that I just killed Seigmeyer out of spite. :mad:

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Nick Biped posted:

So I finished going all the way through Anor Londo just to get destroyed by the dynamic duo of O&S. I only tried it a couple of times, but I can see this battle is going to be "interesting", to say the least. Is SL 51 a reasonable level at this point in the game?

On a side note, I finally did take down Ceaseless Discharge, which at least opens up a new area in the meantime.

If you need help and are on the PS3, PSN is the same as here, SL51

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

enojy posted:

I'm awfully sure that's not supposed to happen!

Both of the tries it took me to kill Seathe I saw the clams break into the boss fight room.

They were killed by his attacks though, so I'm pretty sure that's intentional.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Ixjuvin posted:

Seath is a pretty easy kill unless you're going for his tail, the really hard part of the boss fight is actually getting to him.

Make sure you're attacking the tip of the tail as opposed to the base.
I did that a few times... Luckily(?) he always killed me before I killed him.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
On all the story stuff, there's some kind of connection between Undead - Serpents - Dragons - Gods. If you read the description of the Silver and Gold serpent rings, they describe serpents as "imperfect dragons" and the serpent as "the symbol of the Undead". Your main guides in the story are the "Primordial Serpents" Kaathe and Frampt (Hmm, a lot of vowels in Kaathe, and a lot of consonants in Frampt, wonder if combined they are an anagram for something). Dark Sun Gwyndolin, the only remaining God in Anor Londo, is human sized and has a lower half made out of serpents. The guards who serve in Sen's Fortress and the Duke's Archives (servants of Seathe) are half-man, half-serpent.

Another thing, if you watch the introduction: Gwyn, Nito, and the Witch of Izalith are all much larger than anyone else. This is most noticeable with the Witch, who is 2-3 times the size of her Daughters, who in the game are human-sized (at least Quelaana and the unnamed Daughter outside of Bed of Chaos) and appear next to her when conjuring the fire storms in the intro. Also, when the 3 Souls of Lords are found in the intro, it shows a bunch of humans waking up, and then saying they discovered the Souls: Nito, Izalith, and Gwyn.

Here's my thoughts, this isn't a coherent theory yet. The Gods/Lords were within/part of the Flame. Nito, Izalith, and Gwyn are not human and never were, they are either formed directly from the Flame or were found by a trio of humans who were then wholly possessed by them. They then organized the humans to conquer the Dragons. A long war ensues, Seathe betrays the Dragons in his quest for the Scales of Immortality, the Age of Fire begins, Gwyn, Nito, and Izalith establish their respective kingdoms, humankind spreads across the planet. Turning back the clock a bit, the Pygmy is a fourth Lord Soul that was not strong enough/was too cunning to completely manifest in the manner of Gwyn, Nito, and Izalith, and is their enemy. His soul gets passed down among humans, manifesting as the Darksign, and the curse of Undeath.

Here's some more thoughts:

- I think humans are descendants of or in some way related to the Dragons, who ruled over the world when it was Dark.
- The Lords are not human in any way, and merely used the humans to overthrow the dragons and establish the Age of Fire.
- The Fire is infused into humans through the actions of the Pygmy.
- The Fire is a limited resource, and as more and more humans manifest the Darksign, the Fire becomes diffuse, weakening it.
- The Primordial Serpents are a halfway point between Humans and Dragons(which is why they are given such prominent Human-like facial features), and are working to establish a new Age of Dark. Frampt betrays them in service of Gwyn, just as Seathe betrayed the Dragons earlier.
- Gwndolyn the Dark Sun, is Half-Human, Half-Lord. That's why he is normal sized, and has a bunch of snakes all up in him, serpents are part of humanities draconic heritage.
- Seathe is working to create the Scales of Immortality. He experiments on humans to try and manifest their draconic heritage, creating the imperfect Snake-men. He then abandons this research, delves into his crystal research, finds a corrupted solution to immortality, and goes mad.
- The Skeletons in the Catacombs and Tomb of Giants aren't dead humans, they are an actual race created and controlled by Nito and later subverted by the Pinwheels, who I suspect are minor Flame Lords, hence their use of flame magic.
- The Tomb of Giants? More the like the Womb of Giants, the bottom of the place is basically a giant womb giving birth to Skeleton Babies, who will then grow up into grown up skeletons, skeleton giants, and skeleton beasts.

Anyways, bunch of random thoughts and observances based on reading all the item descriptions and listening to all the dialogue. I'll think about it some more and write up a coherent storyline that covers all those points later. Definitely fun trying to puzzle all this out.

Edit: Priscilla is also FOR SURE some kind of Lord/Dragon hybrid. That's why she is an "abomination", the Lords and Dragons are mortal enemies. The reason I know she is for sure Draconic in nature is because her weapons take Dragon Scales to upgrade. QED.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 20, 2011

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

neetz posted:

I summoned someone yesterday who had this sweet wedding dress type armour, I loved the look of it. How do I get it? Is it any good? (I'm guessing absolutely not because it looks nice).

I do love the variety of armour in this game. On that note, I heard there are armour bits and pieces that augment magic/faith/pyro damage. One was something from Dusk, I think, and I saw a picture of the Monk's Head Collar here so I assume that's one too. Any more?

That sounds like the antiquated set, which you get from freeing Dusk of Oolacile. The skirt is surprisingly really good and has absurdly high defensive stats. I believe the crown in the Moonlight set you can get after defeating Gwyndolin also boosts magic. Sadly the Xanthous (monk) set doesn't have anything special about it I don't think.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
I dunno that all sounds pretty convoluted to me! Good job on catching the imperfect dragons though. It seems pretty likely that the snakemen (and possibly by extension Priscilla and Gwyndolin) are creations of Seath, he is obviously doing some pretty grody research into Things Not Meant for Man to Know.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Well you know what I said earlier about how the P2P servers work? Screw it all, I was wrong. Tried again to group with another friend and after actually paying attention to the messages. Signing in and out of PSN, quitting to menu then reloading, quitting the entire game, NONE of these affect your current server. Only time is what determines it.

Every 5-10 minutes everyone's shuffled on the servers, most likely people in WotW and Order of Sunlight are grouped together more often on the same servers, and possibly some situations like pvp rings may bypass servers altogether. But in the end, if you want to try to directly invade or summon with someone specific it will take you both being on the same server which may often just take straight up waiting.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I think Dark's way of storytelling (and Demon's) has spoiled me. I am playing Batman AC right now and I find the linear cutscene and talking-based way it is doing things very tiresome.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Personally I too think Priscilla is either a creation of Seath's or his direct daughter, given her all white appearance. Cool stuff either way!

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Personally I too think Priscilla is either a creation of Seath's or his direct daughter, given her all white appearance. Cool stuff either way!

It's particularly odd that the doll used to enter her realm, the one fashioned after her, is found in your jail cell at the asylum. I think most people have written it off as meaning anything, but it still seems odd.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dawnfire posted:

It's particularly odd that the doll used to enter her realm, the one fashioned after her, is found in your jail cell at the asylum. I think most people have written it off as meaning anything, but it still seems odd.
You can't enter the painting without that doll? Wow, I didn't know that.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

AttackBacon posted:

Wall of text

Please keep posting things like this, these are amazing.

Just like demon's souls, there's a very deep but subtle story hidden behind everything.

I just wish the missing link could be filled, that being, what exactly happened between the time Seathe was made Duke and your character entered the fray.

quote:

I found this to be very odd too. I originally wrote it off as "well it's just the best place to hide a secret key to a secret location" but it has to have some sort of meaning. Priscilla said that your kind did not belong in that world, but what exactly was the dimension in the painting?

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 20, 2011

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Palleon posted:

Well after experimentation with Dawnfire tonight, we found out that you need to log out of PSN and log back in to switch servers, not just quit the game and reload it. Not sure if we're the only ones who thought otherwise, but thought I would share. So if you're having trouble connecting to someone or not getting summoned, try that.

Edit: Well I'm too slow

Interesting. How many tries until you guys found each other?

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Revitalized posted:

Interesting. How many tries until you guys found each other?

Unfortunately I debunked my own theory in the same night, it's completely wrong. I explain how I think it really works just a little higher up this page.

@Bobnumerotres: It's also why some people believe that she has some special story connection with the main character that's activated secretly. There was one a rumor going around that speaking to her with the pendant and enough humanity without joining any covenants would trigger some story stuff with her, but as far as I know it's just a silly rumor.

I do want to test it out though, except that I screwed up and did not choose pendant as my gift, and I screwed up getting it during gameplay through the only means you can. So been trying to group up with a friend of mine and have him trade it to me from another character but...no dice, stupid P2P system is killing me.

Edited: Spoilers

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 20, 2011

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Ixjuvin posted:

I dunno that all sounds pretty convoluted to me! Good job on catching the imperfect dragons though. It seems pretty likely that the snakemen (and possibly by extension Priscilla and Gwyndolin) are creations of Seath, he is obviously doing some pretty grody research into Things Not Meant for Man to Know.

Something to remember is that Seath is from the King's Field series, and is one of two Dragon "gods" created by Vallad, God of Earth, whom in turn was created by Sylval. Elwin, God of the Sea, and Elfos, God of the Sky hosed off basically immediately after creation, which I guess is why Vallad made Seath and Guyra. Unfortunately they ended up being polar opposites and kinda sought to pitt the world against one another. Vallad was basically hosed at this point, since he didn't have any influence over his own creations, having basically invested all of himself/herself/iteself into creating Seath and Guyra.

Scroll (crtl+f) down to "Story of King's Field Series"
http://ktn87kingsfield.webs.com/generalkftipsstorylinks.htm

All of this apparently came straight off a bonus DVD from FROM software, in case you're wondering about what of this is canon.

Anyway, there is a lot going on the world of Valicia, and there are some hints of a greater darkness/evil that is generally corrupting things. Whether any of this is relevant to Dark Souls I can't say, but for the theory crafters/fanfic wankers, here it is.

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

AttackBacon posted:

Plot theory

Fairy certain humans aren't related to dragons at all. If you take the Lordvessel to Kaathe, he actually states that the pygmy was 'your' progenitor. I take this to mean that the pygmy is actually the father of humanity, not necessarily a direct ancestor of the main character (though this is entirely possible given the player's special nature). Gwyn and his ilk are all much larger (Tomb of Giants might be the tomb of Gwyn's kind), so calling humans pygmies makes sense.

Kaathe's speech is really important to all this, as well as certain other bits of NPC dialogue. Seathe helped Gwyn end the age of dragons because, without scales, he is mortal, hence the reason he is researching immortality. He helped to usher in the Age of Fire out of spite. The pygmy found a unique Lord's Soul unlike the others, and he waited for the flames to subside. As the fires faded, Gwyn feared the coming dark, hence the reason he set out to kindle the fire and prevent the coming of the Age of Dark (otherwise known as the age of man). Gwyn also evidently shrouded the history of man in order to control them.

By kindling the fire in the kiln, you're actually helping hold back the age of man, it seems.

What I haven't pieced together yet is what corrupted Gwyn that disallowed him from kindling the fire, or what, exactly, the curse of undeath is. If an undead is destined to open the way to the kiln, then it would make sense that Gwyn would shuffle them all into the asylum to keep them away from it, but I don't have all the specifics on the prophecy.

Priscilla is definitely half dragon, though, without a doubt. It would make sense that she would be hated given that the whole point of the fires was to end the Age of Dragons, and here she is, a half dragon.

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW

AttackBacon posted:

- The Skeletons in the Catacombs and Tomb of Giants aren't dead humans, they are an actual race created and controlled by Nito and later subverted by the Pinwheels, who I suspect are minor Flame Lords, hence their use of flame magic.
- The Tomb of Giants? More the like the Womb of Giants, the bottom of the place is basically a giant womb giving birth to Skeleton Babies, who will then grow up into grown up skeletons, skeleton giants, and skeleton beasts.

I think this is a little *too* silly. Going through the catacombs to the ToG, you can see there are old coffins and graves littered everywhere. If anything, you're probably going deeper through time into the very earliest burial grounds for proto-humans (giants).

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

No homo posted:

I think this is a little *too* silly. Going through the catacombs to the ToG, you can see there are old coffins and graves littered everywhere. If anything, you're probably going deeper through time into the very earliest burial grounds for proto-humans (giants).

I think you may be more right on this, but I'm guessing those giants are actually the skeletons of possibly the god race of giants that Gwyn and them seem to be part of.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

AttackBacon posted:

(Hmm, a lot of vowels in Kaathe, and a lot of consonants in Frampt, wonder if combined they are an anagram for something)

Fake Math Trap.

Map That Freak.

Teak Farm Path.

I got nothing. :sigh:

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

I thought I was decent at pvp after winning all the invasions I've had, but once I tried invading myself I found out just how completely unplayable this is. Even when playing over a 56k modem I never encountered anything this laggy. Ive been backstabbed in the face from 3 meters away countless times now. This make the covenants even more lovely. Want a spell or weapon from us? better grind for items hours upon hours.

And while I'm already complaining, this game runs really poorly. In the tomb it ran at 1/4 speed in some areas. Feel like they could have made some better compromises when it came to graphics/ai/physics v. performance. Like the cats in the forest. If one of them makes the game run at half speed, don't put several of them in the same room.

And weapon upgrading seems completely unbalanced. Ive used my lightning halberd throughout the game now and no other weapons I make come even close to it. My second best weapon does about1/3 the damage of the halberd. If I want to craft weapons that have high attributes relative to my stats I have to level int and faith. Seems like if you want to make a melee character you might as well just go with a magician build.

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

"That man...I'm...fascinated by him. That look...his whole look. It's hypnotic."
Okay so I just beat Gravelord Nito, and I activated the bonfire in his chamber. Apparently I can warp to it, but I can't find a way out of the chamber back into that sweet farming spot earlier. Do I have to go through the entire Catacombs and Tomb of the Giants in order to get back there? Cause that would really suck :(.

ManSauceGuzzlr fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 20, 2011

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
gently caress, magic is expensive.

Also, thank you 2 random dudes who helped me kill the gargoyles.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

ManSauceGuzzlr posted:

Okay so I just beat Gravelord Nito, and I activated the bonfire in his chamber. Apparently I can warp to it, but I can't find a way out of the chamber back into that sweet farming spot earlier. Do I have to go through the entire [spolier]Catacombs and Tomb of the Giants[/spoiler] in order to get back there? Cause that would really suck :(.

Yup, I hate it too considering the skeleton babies are the best humanity farming spot in the game.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

No homo posted:

Probably, I put that one in there more for comedy than anything. My real suspicion on the Skeleton Babies is there's some relation with the Pinwheels, who are stated to be usurping/corrupting Nito's power. I do think they are actively creating the skeleton babies though, not that those are the skeletons of actual babies.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

That sounds like the antiquated set, which you get from freeing Dusk of Oolacile. The skirt is surprisingly really good and has absurdly high defensive stats. I believe the crown in the Moonlight set you can get after defeating Gwyndolin also boosts magic. Sadly the Xanthous (monk) set doesn't have anything special about it I don't think.

Thanks for this, I'll try and nab it tomorrow. What a shame the monk wrappings do zilch.....still, I'm enjoying an Int build more than anything so far. Has anyone had the pleasure of Logan's 50 magic sorcery? If it's anything like the Faith one I suppose it'll be very disappointing.

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

ManSauceGuzzlr posted:

Okay so I just beat Gravelord Nito, and I activated the bonfire in his chamber. Apparently I can warp to it, but I can't find a way out of the chamber back into that sweet farming spot earlier. Do I have to go through the entire Catacombs and Tomb of the Giants in order to get back there? Cause that would really suck :(.

Yeah, I think the reason you fall down to a room there and atfour kings is so you cant just warp there and put up a summon sign. Seaths bonfire you cant warp to, but there you can backtrack from the fire to the outside of the fog.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

AttackBacon posted:

Probably, I put that one in there more for comedy than anything. My real suspicion on the Skeleton Babies is there's some relation with the Pinwheels, who are stated to be usurping/corrupting Nito's power. I do think they are actively creating the skeleton babies though, not that those are the skeletons of actual babies.

It makes sense that they are real human baby skeletons if you consider how relatively unpopulated the world appears to be, and given that you think Gwyn is actively trying to stop the age of man from appearing then the killing of so many babies pretty much would be a good way to slow down such an age from occurring.

Edit: @Neetz: It's suppose to be incredibly powerful actually, most of the sorceries just get better as they upgrade.

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

"That man...I'm...fascinated by him. That look...his whole look. It's hypnotic."

bat duck posted:

Yeah, I think the reason you fall down to a room there and atfour kings is so you cant just warp there and put up a summon sign. Seaths bonfire you cant warp to, but there you can backtrack from the fire to the outside of the fog.

But when you drop down to that room the boss fight starts, there's no time to summon people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Just re-joined the forest covenant. Provided you don't attack anyone it looks like you can do whatever you want in terms of leaving and joining these things.

...I don't really need the dark woodgrain ring that badly, do I?

• Locked thread