Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

toaster_pastry posted:

I recently did Ophir Pass (a 4x4 trail in Colorado) with my Toyota Echo. I swear, there is nothing this car can't do. 311k miles now.

(full story on my blog if you care: http://goo.gl/Fxv5e )

That's cool. I've had some off road fun in a Corolla and Protege, but I don't think they were that rough, nor that elevation :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monstertruck
Aug 13, 2011

djfooboo posted:

Who needs clearcoat? :smug:

Dirty Yankees driving the shittiest cars in all of Japan.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

fr0ggerrr posted:

I'm gonna ///Miss her. 3 reckless driving tickets in Virginia /sob

Good job :thumbsup:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Haven't taken a photo of it in forever, but I just got powder coated brake calipers so I thought it was worth a new photo. It's a 1998 with the suspension package that I got used (on ebay but 10 minutes away from me) in early 2003.

ElvisKilledMe
Jul 14, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
After my E36 318ti bit the dust in a pile up I decided to get a bigger car with a little more grunt. A 2002 Subaru Liberty Heritage

She has a few kinks, needs one new headlight because it has some water in the cluster and new shocks but I got her cheaper than the average price in Sydney and even with the repairs and a service she will still fall under average price, very happy in short.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

2008 VW Rabbit 5speed. It feels weird being back behind a piston engine after 6 years of my 1991 RX-7.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
I bought this Saturday.

Every single option available but it's been raining since i bought it so no new pics yet. It's an 06 Monte SS with the 5.3 V8. It was between this and an 04 purple on purple GTO, the Monte won out due to options and drive ability in my area. Both cars are non existent in my area so driving one is nice because you may see another one once a month.

Toucan Sam fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 18, 2011

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Just got a new toy for college. Let's hope I don't explode all over the highway. :ohdear:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

Toucan Sam posted:

I bought this Saturday.

Every single option available but it's been raining since i bought it so no new pics yet. It's an 06 Monte SS with the 5.3 V8. It was between this and an 04 purple on purple GTO, the Monte won out due to options and drive ability in my area. Both cars are non existent in my area so driving one is nice because you may see another one once a month.

The GMest buying decision: Do I get the purple on purple GTO or the 300hp FWD Monte Carlo non-Dale Earnhardt Edition? Either way you can't lose, really.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
I wanted the GTO but it didn't really make sense compared to the Monte. I wanted a unique daily driver and the Monte had so many better options it really wasn't a fair competition in the end. I really liked the GTO but parts and options wise it didn't stand a chance.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
Did you even sit in the GTO? The seats alone should have won you over.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

_firehawk posted:

Did you even sit in the GTO? The seats alone should have won you over.

And did you even look at the Monte Carlo

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toucan Sam posted:

I wanted the GTO but it didn't really make sense compared to the Monte. I wanted a unique daily driver and the Monte had so many better options it really wasn't a fair competition in the end. I really liked the GTO but parts and options wise it didn't stand a chance.

Unique?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
They're fixing up the streets in preparation for winter. Some construction worker has been parking his beetle on the sidewalk:

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Rhyno posted:

Unique?

You won't see another '06 up Monte SS around here very often. I've already had several people tell me they haven't seen one around here. You see an old style SS every so often though.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Toucan Sam posted:

You won't see another '06 up Monte SS around here very often. I've already had several people tell me they haven't seen one around here. You see an old style SS every so often though.

There's a reason why you don't seem them around much anymore. I'm pretty sure the older ones had awful V6s that didn't last very long.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Toucan Sam posted:

I bought this Saturday.

Nice. I love these and the V8 FWD Impala SS. The FWD LS is such a smooth package.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Unique?

In a Yugo-esque way

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

Ziploc posted:

There's a reason why you don't seem them around much anymore. I'm pretty sure the older ones had awful V6s that didn't last very long.

The older SS's either had the NA 3800 or the blown 3800. Far from an unreliable and awful engine.

Cop
Nov 14, 2007
Bought this from a guy at work for $500 today.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

_firehawk posted:

The older SS's either had the NA 3800 or the blown 3800. Far from an unreliable and awful engine.

He probably means the older ones.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Screw the Monte Carlo haters. I bought my '02 LS in October of 2001 and it's still a great daily driver. I've never seen a ton on the road because I guess D.C. isn't nascar-country, but I love the wheel arches and every time I think I have too much gear to haul for work I'm impressed that I was able to fit it all in there.

That being said, I'm thinking about hatchbacks for my next car just to make loading/unloading even easier.

Old photo

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

_firehawk posted:

It seems like 90% of them had the regular 3800 and the SS appearance package. Last year i looked at several of them and i had to clarify every time i talked to someone that it had the supercharged engine and not just an appearance package. The 3800 can handle large amounts of boost and still be reliable, the transmission on the other hand doesn't like abuse. The transmission in mine was actually replaced last year and had a full service before i purchased it.

davebo posted:

Nice

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

Cop posted:

Bought this from a guy at work for $500 today.

You've just purchased the best Honda ever made. A friend of mine was driving his for weeks with the low oil light on, it needed 2.5qts of oil to reach the middle of the dipstick on a 4qt capacity engine. It's metallic 90's green and the interior carpet is pseudo-shag for some reason as well.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

davebo posted:

Screw the Monte Carlo haters. I bought my '02 LS in October of 2001 and it's still a great daily driver. I've never seen a ton on the road because I guess D.C. isn't nascar-country, but I love the wheel arches and every time I think I have too much gear to haul for work I'm impressed that I was able to fit it all in there.

That being said, I'm thinking about hatchbacks for my next car just to make loading/unloading even easier.

Old photo

My neighbor in the middle of Capitol Hill had an SS identical to the one posted earlier and parallel-parked that whale every single day. Hats off to that dude.

Laura-4-Lyfe
Oct 14, 2005

I have decided I hate myself and my bank account. Please forgive the pictures. It was dark by the time I got the car home and my camera sucks in low light. Most of the electrical system is a mess but the 1.7 engine runs nice. I think this maybe the automotive version of the hot girl with daddy issues. I am going to end up broke and in tears but god damned is it not going to be an adventure.

Behold my 40 year old sports car

1971 914-4

Cop
Nov 14, 2007

MATLAB 1988 posted:

You've just purchased the best Honda ever made. A friend of mine was driving his for weeks with the low oil light on, it needed 2.5qts of oil to reach the middle of the dipstick on a 4qt capacity engine. It's metallic 90's green and the interior carpet is pseudo-shag for some reason as well.

That's good to know, I think... I had to replace part of the fuel injection line though cause it had a leak. Overall the inside is almost perfect minus the windows and the speedometer. The windows need to be scraped of the old tint and the windshield needs replaced. Probably just need to get a new cluster also.

The outside is typical for a late 80's early 90's car. Some rust, but it's got a lot less than what I expected.

FuzzyBuddha
Dec 7, 2003

Laura-4-Lyfe posted:

I've always loved these. Friend of mine had one in high school and I was totally jealous. Looked almost exactly like that, too.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Laura-4-Lyfe posted:

1971 914-4

Awesome. The 914 definitely falls into the category of "affordable dream car" for me. I've never driven one but they look like they'd be a blast.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

My dad had the 6cyl version. Thing was awesome. If I had the money I'd get one to fix up with him in a heartbeat.

Great buy!

Laura-4-Lyfe
Oct 14, 2005

dphi posted:

Awesome. The 914 definitely falls into the category of "affordable dream car" for me. I've never driven one but they look like they'd be a blast.

The 914 has been a dream car of mine for a long time. I had an opportunity to buy one when I was 19 and I passed it up. Even though it was the right choice at the time I have regretted the the decision all these years. Not any longer. I still can not believe it is mine.

I have only driven the car a little on the test drive and then the five miles home. It was raining the whole time but even at 35 mph the car feels fast. It is loud and squeaky and awesome. The dogleg is going to take some getting used to.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Are the fender flares factory?

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

if i'm not mistaken only the 914-6 GT had the factory fender flares but it's pretty rare

Laura-4-Lyfe
Oct 14, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

They are not factory for my car. They are aftermarket GT flares. The bumpers are fiberglass 916 replicas front and rear.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
I picked up some CSL wheels for winter, and I think I like them more than the SSR GT3s it had before.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
You're not the only one.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Nait Sirhc posted:

I picked up some CSL wheels for winter, and I think I like them more than the SSR GT3s it had before.

Far, far better. Those old wheels just looked tacky and out of place on an E39. Now you pretty much have the best m5 - titanium grey with aluminum trim and good wheels.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Nait Sirhc posted:

Good heavens, that car looks perfect. Maybe a slight drop in the front, and things would be heavenly!

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
I.. I.. MAY have made a big mistake....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
The last three cars posted show everything great about AI :allears: