Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
My boss had the misfortune of trying to buy some Compellent kit right as the acquisition was wrapping up - it was a pretty high-priority purchase for him, and they couldn't get anyone from Compellent on the phone because they'd all hosed off to the Bahamas for two weeks or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Let's say I want about 3TB (effective) of SAS 15k and 30 of nearline SAS, what else should I be looking at:

Dell (Equallogic and Compellent)
Netapp 2240 (the new one)
IBM netapp OEM stuff (3500, 3700?)
EMC VNX(e)

Budget would be about 80k eurobucks. I'm more used to fixing other people's mistakes than making my own, so this is new for me. Hjälp!

If that's of any interest, they have a MD3000i (fast drives) and 2 MD1000's full of SATA drives now.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 18, 2011

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Are you going to be doing any replication? I would stick to Equallogic, NetApp, and EMC. I think the Compellent would be out of price range, if US pricing is similar. You should make sure you're checking IOPs and read/write ratios and not just eyeballing how much space you need.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

Are you going to be doing any replication? I would stick to Equallogic, NetApp, and EMC. I think the Compellent would be out of price range, if US pricing is similar. You should make sure you're checking IOPs and read/write ratios and not just eyeballing how much space you need.
The IOPS requirement is basically "enough to make it not too painful" on the 15k side (20 VM's, minor DB usage) and "as fast as budget will allow, which is not much" on the nearline so meh.

No replication. Integrating into the mothership SAN infrastructure is out of the budget.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 18, 2011

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

FISHMANPET posted:

can anyone point to some hard data I can use to shame the idiot who set this up, and hopefully get it fixed?
Best I can offer you is http://www.solarisinternals.com/wik...Storage_Pool.3F

The best practices guide however, does state:

-consider using a RAIDZ1 main pool with RAIDZ1 backup pool rather than
higher level RAIDZ or mirroring (touch on the value of backup vs.
stronger RAIDZ)

If it were me, assuming they are enterprise drives, I would go 3x 4+1 vdevs with 1 hot spare. Consumer class drives and I would go with 2x 5+2 vdevs with 2 hot spares.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

I think the Compellent would be out of price range, if US pricing is similar.

We're currently in the bidding process to replace our entire SAN infrastructure. Talked with my boss a few days ago about it, he's gotten Dell and HP down to 70% off list...even after that, Compellent is still twice as much as the HP for the same basic spec. It sure is nice, though...

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

16 disk RAIDZ1. I'm supposed to get them mirroring to each other and comment on how I feel about them, except for the drive layout.

My gut tells me this is the stupidest loving thing ever and almost guarantees data loss, but can anyone point to some hard data I can use to shame the idiot who set this up, and hopefully get it fixed?

Have a look at the potential scenarios.

One disk failure isn't a big deal.

Two disks failing risks data loss, or will mean that one array is no longer functional. If two fail on one array that array is broken until replacement drives are installed and it's mirrored again. If one or more drives fail on each array there's a serious risk of data loss. Even if there's no data loss there will be huge performance hit when the drives and swapped and the arrays rebuild. Then you run the risk of disks failing during rebuild.

Raid Z2 mirrored two drives failing either one on each array or two on one array is no big deal, and so on.

What I can't understand is that with so many disks there are no hot spares. Hot spares at least repair something before needing intervention, and negate some of the issues of the above scenarios.

Also, by combinatoric probabilities multiple disk failures are more likely due to the large number of disks.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Dell (Equallogic and Compellent)
Netapp 2240 (the new one)
IBM netapp OEM stuff (3500, 3700?)
EMC VNX(e)

Get Dell and EMC fighting. EMC took 15k of the top of a 36TB (600 15k and 2TB NLSAS blend in a EMC VNXe) just because we dropped EQL name.

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Hay guys what's going on in th

incoherent posted:

Get Dell and EMC fighting. EMC took 15k of the top of a 36TB (600 15k and 2TB NLSAS blend in a EMC VNXe) just because we dropped EQL name.

Do this. In addition 80k Euro's isn't VNXe territory but easily the lower end of the VNX range if you need to go there.

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Spamtron7000 posted:

I'm evaluating backup target replacements for our Data Domains. We back up our colo and then replicate to the home office to do tape-outs from here. We use Simpana for backups. It's worked great for 3 years but now we've outgrown the DD's. EMC is getting extremely sassy with their pricing so I'm looking elsehwere. I'm evaluating Quantum, Exagrid and Oracle/ZFS as hardware solutions. I've also read that CommVault has re-written their dedupe so it can do global variable block length at each client. Intriguing. End result is that instead of paying EMC $200k for whiteboxes I can pay CommVault $35k in software and then buy my own whiteboxes.

First - does anyone have experience moving from Data Domains to Simpana Dedupe and can you tell me how it's going? Second, does anyone have good solutions for cheap but supportable 20+ TB NFS whiteboxes to use as backup targets?

Firstly make sure a few vendors are involved which will work on getting the price down.

DD's are awesome and if they've done the job and you like them just push the price down as best you can. EMC end of year soon!

Personally with dedup backup I always prefer an appliance / array based approach.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/10/dcig_dedupe_report/

This link has a (paid for and bias) guide but it's always worth having a look and seeing they metrics they use to compare these things.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Vanilla posted:

Firstly make sure a few vendors are involved which will work on getting the price down.
I'm not the one doing the financial negociation (we have a central purchasing department) so that process will be interesting.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ZombieReagan posted:

We've beat the poo poo out of a FAS3140 and a FAS6080, and yeah...we get the 100ms spikes more often than I ever care to admit. The good news is our VNX is installed and in use, and our Exchange admin ran a Jetstress test on the NL-SAS pool I built for our new servers.

He was pretty sure it was going to fail, but the 24-disk pool took the abuse like a champ. 6500+IOPS during the DB build phase, and sustained 2600IOPS with <12ms read latency and 2-3ms write latency. I'm happy to finally be able to build something other than RAID-6 aggregates all the time when I need something high-performance. The SP's barely noticed the workload too, running at about 4-6% utilization.

That is really good news. We are getting our VNX shortly and I cannot wait to put it through its paces.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

We have 2 x VNX 5700 on the way. Super excited.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

Vanilla posted:

DD's are awesome and if they've done the job and you like them just push the price down as best you can. EMC end of year soon!

Personally with dedup backup I always prefer an appliance / array based approach.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/10/dcig_dedupe_report/

This link has a (paid for and bias) guide but it's always worth having a look and seeing they metrics they use to compare these things.

Thanks for the link to the report. My experience with Data Domain has been great but EMC has gotten ridiculous with list prices on the DD's. I know I can get them to around 65-70% off of list but even then, they're on some serious crack. Setting list price at $200k for a piece of hardware that literally costs them no more than $8k each is just monumentally stupid. I realize they have to try and recoup some of the $2.1billion they paid to Data Domain for the dedupe patent but I'm not spending as much as my SAN costs to back up my SAN onto a whitebox and then replicate it to another whitebox. They insist they won't get beaten on price but I'm not so sure this time.

ExaGrid is definitely in the mix but their sales team is really green. They are really "motivated" and I hate motivated sales people. loving leave me alone already.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Spamtron7000 posted:

ExaGrid is definitely in the mix but their sales team is really green. They are really "motivated" and I hate motivated sales people. loving leave me alone already.
this is something you can communicate. A la: "if you call me again but haven't budged on a thing, imma hang up on you"

Corvettefisher posted:

My Freenas box just died today... Only 150G of data, good thing it was only a test machine
At least tell us how :mad:

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 20, 2011

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
My Freenas box just died today... Only 150G of data, good thing it was only a test machine

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 20, 2011

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Please press [ENTER] to continue to the
Las Vegas Bowl

incoherent posted:

Works with Netapp and EMC too. My rep told me there was no way he was going to get beat by EMC

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Anyone have NetApp V62xx series filers in production today and how many?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Last year, my boss gave me his 2TB external to fill with linux isos to play on the boxee box I convinced him to get.

A couple of weeks ago, he gave me two 1TBs to get him the latest point releases. I kind of split up each folder among each drive as I wasn't sure what he did or did not have.

Today, I see snapshot error messages about backups on one of our command view eva servers, so I log in to take a look.

He had provisioned a 2 TB LUN and was in the process of copying everything from the two 1TBs to it in order to consolidate the folders, then copy it back to the drives.

Gotta love abusing company resources, my boss owns.

Stoo
Dec 29, 2004
SHART MY JORTS

420 shart jorts everyday
Anyone know if there are any sneaky ways around HP's lack of official support for installation of their utilities for monitoring HD status on DL180 servers running ESXi? We have some great DIY SANs thanks to their VSA but obviously VSAs only see their virtual disks thanks to the virtual abstraction and there's no easy way to remotely check for failed HDs. Anyone know if there's a way to poll the smart array controller somehow else?

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Stoo posted:

Anyone know if there are any sneaky ways around HP's lack of official support for installation of their utilities for monitoring HD status on DL180 servers running ESXi? We have some great DIY SANs thanks to their VSA but obviously VSAs only see their virtual disks thanks to the virtual abstraction and there's no easy way to remotely check for failed HDs. Anyone know if there's a way to poll the smart array controller somehow else?

Get the ESXi ISO from HP that contains the CIM drivers, it will push individual HD info up to VMWare.

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=HPVM09

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Has anyone installed the Fail Over Manager for an HP4000 series? The only download I could find for the latest FOM(9.5) was a zip file, but the docs say nothing about a zip containing a couple VMDKs and an OVF.

I may be under the incorrect assumption that to install the FOM, you create a new VM on a single ESX host, and that keeps quorum between SAN cluster members.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Just figured out what an OVF file is and what it does. I'M LEARNING.

Regex
Jul 20, 2010

We're finally starting to meet with vendors and quote out SANs/blades.

For background, we're a relatively small company (low initial capital) expanding into hosted offerings (needs to be scalable), including public cloud and hosted VDI solutions (relatively high IOPS).

Met with Dell/Compellant today, and I've got meetings lined up with EMC, NetApp, and HP. Anyone else I should make sure to talk to over the next couple months?

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
check into IBM's storwize v7000

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.

InferiorWang posted:

Has anyone installed the Fail Over Manager for an HP4000 series? The only download I could find for the latest FOM(9.5) was a zip file, but the docs say nothing about a zip containing a couple VMDKs and an OVF.

I may be under the incorrect assumption that to install the FOM, you create a new VM on a single ESX host, and that keeps quorum between SAN cluster members.

The FOM does indeed keep quorum. Don't however put it's storage in the SAN or it won't be operational if one is list. You also only need to use it if you don't have 3 or more regular boxes as they would be better to run the manager.

When I install it the installer created the VM from start to finish, I just had to set the drive to use. I used the Hyper-v one though so the process of setting it up is probably diffrent.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Regex posted:

For background, we're a relatively small company (low initial capital) expanding into hosted offerings (needs to be scalable), including public cloud and hosted VDI solutions (relatively high IOPS).

Met with Dell/Compellant today, and I've got meetings lined up with EMC, NetApp, and HP. Anyone else I should make sure to talk to over the next couple months?
Isilon (now owned by EMC) would probably fit your model nicely.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006

Intrepid00 posted:

The FOM does indeed keep quorum. Don't however put it's storage in the SAN or it won't be operational if one is list. You also only need to use it if you don't have 3 or more regular boxes as they would be better to run the manager.

When I install it the installer created the VM from start to finish, I just had to set the drive to use. I used the Hyper-v one though so the process of setting it up is probably diffrent.

Thanks. I put it on the ESXi cluster, but just on the local data store, not the SAN itself. After it was installed and configured, I screwed up the networking config on one of the P4300s, but the whole storage cluster didn't go offline, so I guess it's doing its job.

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Misogynist posted:

Isilon (now owned by EMC) would probably fit your model nicely.

Isilon is quickly becoming my favourite platform ever. It's all sort of amazing.

It can do crazy IOPS, recently looked into a 5 x S-Series node cluster with SSD's that was rated to 75k IOPS and 1.5GB/sec.

However, given what Regex said i'd recommend against Isilon.

- Isilon is not geared towards small, transactional IOPS. I'd looks towards a traditional FC array for this.
- Isilon starts at around 20-30TB, so may already be well out of the park for a small company.

I'd say for a hosting company if you've got the money go Vblock. Storage, networking, security, compute all in one package and UCS does offer a high memory footprint for more VMs. May not be that cheap but it makes life for service providers and hosting companies about a million times easier.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
Let me know if any of you storage goons are going to be at NetApp Insight this week, we can share a McRib in the McDonalds of the MGM Grand.

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Regex posted:

I'm hearing some buzz around Nutanix for scale-out VDI. And if money were no object, I'd echo Vanilla's Vblock recommendation--30 days from PO to production is pretty cool.

tronester
Aug 12, 2004
People hear what they want to hear.
Is it possible to purchase a loaded storage array for an iSCSI SAN at less than 5000 dollars for 1-2TB of usable space?

My client needs just that, to function as a storage platform for vSphere. They are limited to 5000 dollars by government red tape (otherwise they are looking at 4-6 months for a lengthy approval process) Pretty much anything decent ive seen starts at $10K.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

tronester posted:

Is it possible to purchase a loaded storage array for an iSCSI SAN at less than 5000 dollars for 1-2TB of usable space?

My client needs just that, to function as a storage platform for vSphere. They are limited to 5000 dollars by government red tape (otherwise they are looking at 4-6 months for a lengthy approval process) Pretty much anything decent ive seen starts at $10K.

Would loading OpenFiler on a Dell (or whitebox) server do the trick? Cram 4-6 1TB HD's in there.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

tronester posted:

It's been a while since I checked out their site but Cybernetics has always had crazy good pricing on iSCSI SANs. While we didn't end up going with them (our CFO wanted to stay all within one brand, for our server/storage refresh; there was nothing technically wrong with their products) they undercut Dell by nearly 75%. They had a 16TB array for something crazy like $9k. I'm sure if you talk to them, you'll be able to find something in your price range.

tronester
Aug 12, 2004
People hear what they want to hear.

Bob Morales posted:

Would loading OpenFiler on a Dell (or whitebox) server do the trick? Cram 4-6 1TB HD's in there.

That's actually something I've considered.

They have a ton of hp dl360 g5s that aren't being used since we virtualized most of their infrastructure.

However is openfiler or Freenas a viable option for enterprise? I don't have any experience with either but could certainly learn.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So I've been playing around with our new VNX 5300 and it's replication partner, and let me just say man this has been quite an experience. Coming from an Equallogic box, and not having a storage admin, it is not nearly as kiddy-proof. I'd be more excited about it if I did not have 5 million other things going on (Setup our SAN ASAP! Fix this person's printer ASAP!)

I was running the VNX Initialization Assistant and it got to the point where it set an IP address and hostname and then bombed out. Apparently there is no way to reset the Control Station (or reinstall the OS on it), without them sending out a tech, so that you can run the VIA again, it all has to be done manually.

The support has been hit or miss. Have had a hard time getting a hold of anyone in their support chat who knows anything, and they supposedly "dispatched a tech" over 48 hours ago, but we were able to get it working and are now updating the firmware.

It definitely seems like these SANs were build from the bottom up, with dozens of little tools and separate interfaces, which is very different from the Equallogic side of things. I am very excited to put it through it's paces and then put it in production, though.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

tronester posted:

That's actually something I've considered.

They have a ton of hp dl360 g5s that aren't being used since we virtualized most of their infrastructure.

However is openfiler or Freenas a viable option for enterprise? I don't have any experience with either but could certainly learn.
Openfiler or FreeNAS isn't nearly as much of an issue as the fact that cramming a handful of SATA disks into some enclosure is not going to give you nearly enough IOPS to support even a lightly used vSphere environment. The actual distributions themselves aren't awful, but trying to set up OpenFiler replication if you're not already a Linux wizard is an exercise in futility.

Also keep in mind that the iSCSI targets used by OpenFiler, FreeNAS and basically any NAS distribution other than Nexenta will not be able to support shared disk clustering of Windows servers using MSCS. This may not be an issue for your environment, though.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Misogynist posted:

Openfiler or FreeNAS isn't nearly as much of an issue as the fact that cramming a handful of SATA disks into some enclosure is not going to give you nearly enough IOPS to support even a lightly used vSphere environment.

How many spindles do you think would be necessary for about 50-60 lightly used VMs? Would an enclosure with 12 in raid6+hot spare cut it? I'm going to try to set it up as a science experiment anyway, but knowing whether I should be disappointed in advance would be helpful.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

tronester posted:

Drobo? 8TB iSCSI at a $4,999 list.

http://www.drobostore.com/store/drobo/en_US/buy/productID.233947000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

The support has been hit or miss. Have had a hard time getting a hold of anyone in their support chat who knows anything, and they supposedly "dispatched a tech" over 48 hours ago, but we were able to get it working and are now updating the firmware.

It definitely seems like these SANs were build from the bottom up, with dozens of little tools and separate interfaces, which is very different from the Equallogic side of things. I am very excited to put it through it's paces and then put it in production, though.

This has been our feedback to EMC as well, both on their rather awful support and the interfaces/tools used to manage their arrays. They may have a ton of market share and solid architecture, but they are far behind in those two areas IMO.

It's nice to have an ear direct into their engineering teams to give feedback on their UI, hopefully they are able to make some progress.