Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

kas posted:

Oh man the eyes. Especially the fact that they're only there in one phase. You're a beautiful man, kas :allears:

Cheap Shot posted:

comic

This is wonderful :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
kas you are amazing. Seriously, thank you so much for all your work on Painterly.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

kas posted:

You're just the best, you know that? The best.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Cheap Shot posted:

this is a link ^

It's been a while since I've done Minecraft art. I felt like going for it again so I made a webcomic. Please read it oh god!
I plan to keep going with it. Feedback appreciated. I went to post this on the minecraft forums but stopped when I realized the art section was nothing but fan fiction, so I'll be posting this here for now instead.
:psyduck:

I saw the first panel of the comic that starts with a big night time party immediately made Oingo Boingo's Dead Man's Party pop into my head, but it didn't end up referencing it :saddowns:. Your work, as usual, is fun as heck; keep up the good work.

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009

Archdeco posted:

I just want to say, it's truly disappointing that Mojang hasn't hired you in some capacity. You've gone above and beyond to outdo them, to the point where I can't stand the sight of vanilla Minecraft anymore without your sexy pixels. Mods don't fare much better. Just, thank you for making Minecraft look like a real game.

I agree completely. I only paid $10 for Minecraft but I donated $20 to Kas. His work is just that good.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I truly do despise the minecraft community and wish that, all of a sudden, each and everyone one of their internet connections caught on fire. Though I might hear the screaming from where I live, I'm sure I'd get used to it.

Keep on keepin' on, Kas. I love painterly.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

kas you're so awesome it's quite frankly insulting. You're making everybody else look like a lovely person in comparison. (You da best)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Painterly should honestly be built right into Minecraft, with a couple of presets, then an option to create your own.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
The eyeball moon is creepy as gently caress and going to be the default one I use from now on. I suspect I won't be going out at night anymore.

Nthing the love for the painterly pack (even though I'm sorry to admit I do occasionally cheat on you with SMP) and after all this work on the new stuff I'll definitely be throwing another donation your way as soon as I'm unpoor again.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
The only downside to Painterly is it takes me a long time to decide how I want to customize it because there are so many amazing options.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Elysiume posted:

The only downside to Painterly is it takes me a long time to decide how I want to customize it because there are so many amazing options.

kas, I know you track the stats on painterly, maybe you could run some of the top options together and have some fan favorite presets for people to get their feet wet without feeling overwhelmed?

Also, not to add to the :fap: fest, but goddamnit man, I've been trying to stay away from minecraft to catch up on my steam backlog, tanks, and loving Dark Souls which has eaten my life, but now I have to get home and play thanks to noticing you updated your stuff again. Goddamnit. I hate you. I love you.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

EXCITING COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE OPPORTUNITY!

Ladies and Gentlegoons, don't let the day-to-day struggle to avoid the death camps in Obama's America drag you down! This is still the land of opportunity, and we believe we have come across an amazing investment that you will not want to miss out on!

Do you dream of the country, with its rolling hills; clean, abundant water; naive populace; and staggeringly low property taxes? We do too, and that's why we went out and bought us a chunk of prime rural real estate. But what to do with it?

Hippie commune? No, there's no money in that.

Farm? Dude, that's work.

Trendy "sustainable" subdivision centered around neo-hippie claptrap like a permaculture oriented community garden and dining hall? Now we're getting somewhere (viz. separating fools from their money), but to be honest, we're banking on all that being just a passing fad; the new millenium's version of the 1970s white-people enviro-guilt.

We're sticking with the classics. We're building a skyscraper.

That's right. We're turning "mixed use" on its head and bringing 10 stories of high-density, urban, eyesore office-block to the country. We think people are gonna love it, and pre-sales are starting now.

Curtain walls of glass and steel? Check. Imposing entryway, letting everyone who sees you going through it know just how important you really are? Check. Ostentatious, atrium lobby with huge-normous chandeliers? Check.

We're working on the second-level upper lobby where no one will ever sit, unless there's a convention going on or something. But it'll look really nice, and some minority will dutifully vacuum it every single day, whether anyone treads on the floor or not. Classy.

We're not even sure what we're gonna do with all the floors yet, to be honest, but trust us that it's gonna be awesome. And more importantly, buy into this amazing opportunity before it's too late!

Seriously, look at that poo poo. We carved out part of a mountain just so we could have nice steps on three sides with a little breathing room around them. Did the yokels living in that village over there ever do that? No. We did, because we're businessmen, and that's how we roll.

Speaking of the yokels, don't worry about them. Most of them will be employed as janitorial staff, and the rest will be security staff, who are paid slightly better and told that they're "above" the janitorial staff, so that they'll willingly keep everyone in line, even though it would be in their best long-term interests to gang up on us rich fuckers and burn this whole investment opportunity to the ground. Like that'll ever happen. Ha!

So join us. Get out your checkbooks and get in on the ground floor. Because you can't have the penthouse. That's ours.

SonicYooth
Jun 13, 2005

mdxi posted:

So join us. Get out your checkbooks and get in on the ground floor. Because you can't have the penthouse. That's ours.

I like this idea - We did something like this in blockworld where each person had their own floor. It was fun to visit each other's floors just to see how they had decorated them. Is this on a server somewhere that I could join?

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
So are you slowly condemning houses in that village to flatten and build parking lots and condos?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

mdxi posted:

Ladies and Gentlegoons, don't let the day-to-day struggle to avoid the death camps in Obama's America drag you down! This is still the land of opportunity, and we believe we have come across an amazing investment that you will not want to miss out on!

Do you dream of the country, with its rolling hills; clean, abundant water; naive populace; and staggeringly low property taxes? We do too, and that's why we went out and bought us a chunk of prime rural real estate. But what to do with it?

Farm? Dude, that's work.

Trendy "sustainable" subdivision centered around neo-hippie claptrap like a permaculture oriented community garden and dining hall? Now we're getting somewhere (viz. separating fools from their money), but to be honest, we're banking on all that being just a passing fad; the new millenium's version of the 1970s white-people enviro-guilt.

That's right. We're turning "mixed use" on its head and bringing 10 stories of high-density, urban, eyesore office-block to the country. We think people are gonna love it, and pre-sales are starting now.

Curtain walls of glass and steel? Check. Imposing entryway, letting everyone who sees you going through it know just how important you really are? Check. Ostentatious, atrium lobby with huge-normous chandeliers? Check.

We're working on the second-level upper lobby where no one will ever sit, unless there's a convention going on or something. But it'll look really nice, and some minority will dutifully vacuum it every single day, whether anyone treads on the floor or not. Classy.

We're not even sure what we're gonna do with all the floors yet, to be honest, but trust us that it's gonna be awesome. And more importantly, buy into this amazing opportunity before it's too late!

Seriously, look at that poo poo. We carved out part of a mountain just so we could have nice steps on three sides with a little breathing room around them. Did the yokels living in that village over there ever do that? No. We did, because we're businessmen, and that's how we roll.

Speaking of the yokels, don't worry about them. Most of them will be employed as janitorial staff, and the rest will be security staff, who are paid slightly better and told that they're "above" the janitorial staff, so that they'll willingly keep everyone in line, even though it would be in their best long-term interests to gang up on us rich fuckers and burn this whole investment opportunity to the ground. Like that'll ever happen. Ha!

I am SO doing this on my server.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

mdxi posted:

Noticed you used signs as flower pots wrapped around dirt blocks. I never thought of it until I played the Tale of Kingdoms mod (which is awesome), but they used trap doors turned up around the edges to make the flower pot, which could look nicer depending on your texture pack (no window on the door).

Awesome job so far though, I love projects like that on MP servers where everyone gets a plot of land to create a house or something, doing that with floors or rooms could be awesome. Would love to see the finished product.

Mofeta
Sep 25, 2007

mdxi posted:

Needs to have a giant "TRUMP" sign on top.

lowwayman
Dec 26, 2009

MikeJF posted:

I'm actually not that fond of Painterly's block styles - it's too dithered for my liking, whereas I prefer the ultra-smooth look. Lucid Pack is my favourite. But the environment and the icons on Painterly are second to none, and each release I make a Painterly to merge in most everything else from it over the top of Lucid.

Kas' work is great, but this is what I look for in a texture pack as well. Smooth surfaces with little contrast and tiling. I recommend taking a look at the various Quandary variants such as Classic/Ancient roots and Coterie craft if you haven't.

Extranoise: If you made old-style Quandary textures available as an alternative it would please me to no end.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I'm glad people like it! I wasn't sure I was hitting the mark I was going for but it sounds like I did. Awesome. If y'all would be so kind, share the link around to people who might like it.

http://www.creeperedout.tumblr.com

Cygni posted:

Fantastic art style, RSSed. :) Does have a sorta PBF / pictures for sad children feel, so what I'm saying is I really like it. My only (incredibly unneeded and non professional) input is that if you want to keep it around for a while, don't be afraid to take it out of Minecraft context more and more.

I thought of that, and you're probably right. Despite any criticism notch might receive, the game in general is hard to make fun of. Hell knows I and everyone I know play it like an addict (although heavily modded to be fair). I know a lot of the things he adds don't work, or people find stupid, but there's no real material there.

The community however is a source ripe with humour. Todays comic branched into the modding community where there is plenty of material. If I want to keep going with this comic though you're probably right. I'll either have to break from minecraft humour or break from the silent narrative. Cross that bridge when I get to it though.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

mdxi posted:

Farm? Dude, that's work.

So how are you going to do the elevator? :colbert:

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Siets posted:

So how are you going to do the elevator? :colbert:

There is a piston elevator but it only works one way.

My guess? Stairs. Lots of stairs.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

You could do water based down elevators to catch falling people on each floor.

To get to the top, the only option is a tnt powered obsidian minecart cannon.

Or if you're using mods you can always put a teleport command on signs.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Vatek posted:

There is a piston elevator but it only works one way.

My guess? Stairs. Lots of stairs.

I'll have to go onto my server at some point and take some pictures of a prototype design that worked for other people's stuff before. Basically it was a series of pistons, made to push blocks around in a tall square. The blocks it pushed where all trap doors. And the pattern of the trap doors were horizontal, vertical, vertical, repeating. Basically you would stand on the horizontal ones, and the vertical ones were just so that it had something to push, but not be in your way. You have to surround the sides of it, as otherwise you seem to get easily pushed off.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Slung Blade posted:

You could do water based down elevators to catch falling people on each floor.

You can do two way water elevators. I designed this for a place I was building.

The shaft needs to be 2x2 and the entranceways need to be 2 high. The brown squares are signs. Look at the image like it is cut in half. You'd have to double it to make it work. When you're done though you don't have to fight current to raise up the elevevator, and you don't drown because of the air pockets between each layer of water. It lets you drop down quickly and raise quickly while still controlling where you stop and get out and whatnot.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Cheap Shot posted:

Wonderful comics
I'd like to see one of these somehow based on the new ability to punch a creeper 50 feet while dashing.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Am I the only one that wishes there was a middle-tier between diamond and iron items? Diamond is so much better than iron that it almost seems like there's a tier missing. Something with, say, 600 or 700 uses on it. Diamond would still be the best, but it would prevent having to burn through dozens of iron pickaxes all the friggin time.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

MisterBibs posted:

Am I the only one that wishes there was a middle-tier between diamond and iron items?

There is, gold items generally harvest very quickly but with very low durability.

MisterBibs posted:

Diamond is so much better than iron that it almost seems like there's a tier missing. Something with, say, 600 or 700 uses on it. Diamond would still be the best, but it would prevent having to burn through dozens of iron pickaxes all the friggin time.

But doing it this way would be even more pointless than gold already is. Once you have diamond gear it's self-sustaining provided you do any lower depth mining at all.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
I've been wishing that they would add more metal types for a while now. Increase the depth of the world, maybe make some ores biome-specific and add in a bunch of types like copper/tin/bronze/mithril or whatever/steel that can all be used for different things and maybe have different effects when used for armor/tools/weapons.

The equipment side of the game has always felt too simplistic.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There is, gold items generally harvest very quickly but with very low durability.

That's the opposite of what he wants.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Gold mines only what stone picks can mine and breaks too quickly to be useful in general.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

trandorian posted:

That's the opposite of what he wants.

I know, read the rest of the post.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I know, read the rest of the post.

Yeah the rest of your post missed the point even further.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

trandorian posted:

Yeah the rest of your post missed the point even further.

No, it didn't. He asked if anybody else wished for a middle-tier of items, I explained why I don't.

Why are we even discussing this?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No, it didn't. He asked if anybody else wished for a middle-tier of items, I explained why I don't.

Why are we even discussing this?

You justified not having areal in between material on the basis of gold tools and armor which are intended to be joke/decorative items. That's stupid.

And you justified on the basis that once you have diamond you never run out, which misses the point that if you don't have any diamond you obviously can't be self sustaining from it and being stuck with iron for a while sucks. That's also stupid.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

trandorian posted:

You justified not having areal in between material on the basis of gold tools and armor which are intended to be joke/decorative items. That's stupid.

I mentioned that there is an intermediary rarity between gold and iron, which is relevant, but not my main argument.

trandorian posted:

And you justified on the basis that once you have diamond you never run out, which misses the point that if you don't have any diamond you obviously can't be self sustaining from it and being stuck with iron for a while sucks. That's also stupid.

"For a while" is maybe fifteen minutes until you hit your first deposit. Making an intermediary step when the only thing stopping you from having diamond to begin with is a trivial expedition underground is stupid would be superfluous to the game.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"For a while" is maybe fifteen minutes until you hit your first deposit.

This is false. Not everyone is as lucky/skilled as you are. Not to mention that the first deposit often ends up being a mere one or two diamonds, oh goody a diamond hoe will totally help me get more diamond right?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Diamond is pretty goddamn rare in any 1.9 world I've made. I haven't actually found a deposit in my current one after a lot of hours spent digging and strip mining near bedrock, the only ones I've found have been in abandoned mine chests.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

trandorian posted:

This is false. Not everyone is as lucky/skilled as you are. Not to mention that the first deposit often ends up being a mere one or two diamonds, oh goody a diamond hoe will totally help me get more diamond right?

"Dig to level ~12-18, pick a direction and dig" is not a difficult skill to acquire. On average you should find a diamond deposit within a little over a hundred blocks, or about three iron picks and change.

This of course assuming you're playing 100% legit and you don't just load up Eihort or some other viewer and find all the diamonds you could ever want in ten seconds.

(1.9 probably makes this a little less true, but making diamonds rarer is a terrible idea to begin with.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 20, 2011

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Vatek posted:

Diamond is pretty goddamn rare in any 1.9 world I've made. I haven't actually found a deposit in my current one after a lot of hours spent digging and strip mining near bedrock, the only ones I've found have been in abandoned mine chests.

This is especially annoying because it takes at least five diamonds to make an enchantment table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"Dig to level ~12-18, pick a direction and dig" is not a difficult skill to acquire. On average you should find a diamond deposit within a little over a hundred blocks, or about three iron picks and change.

This of course assuming you're playing 100% legit and you don't just load up Eihort or some other viewer and find all the diamonds you could ever want in ten seconds.

(1.9 probably makes this a little less true, but making diamonds rarer is a terrible idea to begin with.)

This doesn't work for a lot of people. Especially in multiplayer servers where odds are someone else has already grabbed a lot of the easy diamond.

And again, diamond deposits can easily be only one or two blocks, not enough to get a pick out of.