Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

savinhill posted:

So Gurm isn't gonna start writing till after football season, he'll be doing publicity and traveling for the second season's premier in April, he's gotta go to all his conventions during the summer, and then you have a few weeks after that that won't be consumed by football or the holidays. We'll be lucky if he writes 100 pages of WoW in 2012. Jesus, this next book is gonna make the 6-year wait for DwD seem like brevity itself.
Estimated time between ASOS and the next* book: 14-15 years.

*assuming there is a next book.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

How soon after is it? They may not have known she was dead yet, even if Tywin knew the wedding would go sour like it did. Am I misremembering, or didn't it go totally out of hand and only Robb was supposed to die for besmirching his promise?

I think he assumed they would just take her hostage like they did Edmure. Not like they could plan on her going insane and needing a mercy kill.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Toplowtech posted:

*assuming there is a next book.

It will be divided into 4 volumes, written over the span of 20 years

Scissors
Mar 22, 2004

I just get depressed whenever I think about WoW. The only chapters in it currently are transplants from DwD, which was a stupidly boring book. So I can only assume the chapters he took out were the worst of the worst, in a vain hope of making DwD just a bit less boring.

And from his blog, it's clear that he's doing gently caress-all writing right now. I'm sure his thought process is "Finally got that book out, I deserve a break". That break is going to last 5 years. :(

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Scissors posted:

I just get depressed whenever I think about WoW. The only chapters in it currently are transplants from DwD, which was a stupidly boring book. So I can only assume the chapters he took out were the worst of the worst, in a vain hope of making DwD just a bit less boring.

Actually, no.

GRRM's Editor posted:

Finishing this book where he absolutely wanted to end it would have taken probably another year and more pages than could be realistically bound between two covers. And so much great stuff had happened already that no one, I felt, could be unsatisfied by the developments. So he voluntarily pulled one big sequence out of the book. I lobbied for another…and it came out, too. People may hold me to blame for this, but I still think it was the right choice. The book is so big and complex and rich and wonderful that adding these two sequences would not have made it any better than it already its.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
I never get tired of that interview,

quote:

SS: Most fans have a favorite character they absolutely can’t wait to read. Who is that character for you and why?

AG: Tyrion, without a doubt. And DANCE is rife with Tyrion going through some very dark times and some absolutely amazing adventures, so I was a very happy woman. The stuff with Penny alone…but I’ve said too much already.

:allears:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

"Absolutely amazing adventures?" Are you loving with me again, Bread?

Nobody really said and believed that...did they?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

my cat is norris posted:

She's his editor. It's Stockholm Syndrome.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

neongrey posted:

She's his editor.

He's got an editor?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:psyboom:

Did anyone make that Nancy Drew thing yet? I started last night but didn't get very far.

Edit: gently caress it, Photoshop is too hard for this kinda poo poo and I don't want to manually PAINT things. Just use your imaginations.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 20, 2011

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

my cat is norris posted:

A person who gets paid to.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I think everyone (well not everyone but some anyway) is overreacting a little bit. The first three books were really really good. The last two were not as good (still not bad fantasy novels compared to most of the dreck in the genre), but if you strike out the boring/dumb POVs and mash the good parts of them together I think you'd have a pretty good book, probably almost as good as the first three. I'll reserve my "oh god it's ruined :gonk:" lamentations for 2017 when the next book comes out and it sucks too.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yeah, guys, don't you know that if you cut out all the lovely parts and only read the good stuff, George RR Martin has written a classic piece of literature and deserves to be called the American Tolkien?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

my cat is norris posted:

:psyboom:

Did anyone make that Nancy Drew thing yet? I started last night but didn't get very far.

Edit: gently caress it, Photoshop is too hard for this kinda poo poo and I don't want to manually PAINT things. Just use your imaginations.

Gurm demands the sacrifice of your delicious human meat your free time and sanity. It is the true purpose of the Wild Card.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oh and just a reminder, you can hang out with your fellow wild cards and have intelligent meaningful discussions about the fine works of George RR Martin in #thebadthread on synirc.

If you're asking "what the gently caress is IRC?" Just click this, you idiot: http://02.chat.mibbit.com/?server=irc.synirc.net&channel=%23thebadthread

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
An interview with gurm published today. He flat-out says he's not gonna bother for a while.

New York magazine interviewer posted:

As the books move forward, it seems like we're getting more and more information about what happened in the past, before the first book began. It's almost like the story is moving in two directions, backwards and forwards in time.

heh

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

GRRM doesn't come across mysterious and cagey in that interview, he comes across burnt out and sick to death of this series.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

An interview with gurm published today. He flat-out says he's not gonna bother for a while.

heh

What a terrible interview. What did he say other than that he isn't doing anything? I mean we already knew that he wasn't doing anything while football was on, but really?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Fog Tripper posted:

It will be divided into 4 volumes, written over the span of 20 years... each.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Yeah, guys, don't you know that if you cut out all the lovely parts and only read the good stuff, George RR Martin has written a classic piece of literature and deserves to be called the American Tolkien?

He did write this even with all the "lovely parts" (lol).

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

He did write this even with all the "lovely parts" (lol).

Not even making a quality judgement of the series, or of Tolkien's stuff (which I don't hugely care for), calling him the American Tolkien shows nothing but ignorance of both Tolkien and GRRM's stuff and what both of them were doing with their writing.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

neongrey posted:

Not even making a quality judgement of the series, or of Tolkien's stuff (which I don't hugely care for), calling him the American Tolkien shows nothing but ignorance of both Tolkien and GRRM's stuff and what both of them were doing with their writing.

I think the adage was given not because of the author's intent with their series, but that there really isn't any comparable American epic fantasy saga out right now that could match LOTR like ASOIAF.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I still don't see how it's at all comparable except maybe, maybe in copies sold. If we hadddd to compare to classic works of the genre, the modern Leiber would probably be better.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

It's kinda cool that he's writing the Blackwater episode I guess.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

computer parts posted:

Actually, no.

The big sequences are the resolution of the Penny/Pretty Pig storyline and the big sequence where Jorah preforms the entire Bear and the Mainden Fair song. The pig eats penny and Jorah brings the slavemasters to tears and they decide to free him.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.

IRQ posted:

What a terrible interview. What did he say other than that he isn't doing anything? I mean we already knew that he wasn't doing anything while football was on, but really?

Seems he's taking a shot at Sanderson, who isn't being called an absolute fucker by anyone.

quote:

I can tell you generally that when treating with magic in fantasy, you have to keep it magical. Many fantasy writers work out these detailed systems, and rules, and I think that's a mistake.

For magic to be effective in a literary sense, it has to be unknowable and strange and dangerous, with forces that can't be predicted or controlled. That makes it, I think, much more interesting and evocative. It functions as a symbol or metaphor of all the forces in the universe we don't understand and maybe never will.

God forbid people approach writing in different ways. What a jealous lazy fucker.

neongrey posted:

I still don't see how it's at all comparable except maybe, maybe in copies sold. If we hadddd to compare to classic works of the genre, the modern Leiber would probably be better.

Think of it in terms of reaching the average person.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Welp, this explains some

quote:

How do you keep all of these details straight? Is there a huge encyclopedia or computer file that you use when you write?
It's mostly in my head. Elio Garcia [who runs Westeros.org] does seem to know Westeros better than I do. I'm beginning to wish I had never bothered with the color of people's eyes. [Editor's note: This is the subject of many convoluted fan conspiracy theories.] And that was one of the first things to go in the TV series — the purple contact lenses didn't look good on camera.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Oh, look, GRRM is completely wrong on how magic functions effectively in literature. Stuff like Mistborn is great exactly because the magic is so ruthlessly logical. It doesn't detract from the "unknowable mystery" at all. Absolute fucker is too in love with not having a plan. He wouldn't even have to lay it out for us, just so long as what he writes isn't contradicting itself and he knew all the rules.

And no, George RR Martin is in no way comparable to John RR Tolkien. One was a professor of english and literature at Oxford, creating his masterwork out of his love for mythology, language, history, and poetry. He meticulously created the entire history of the world, with multiple languages, hammering every detail out before putting ink to paper, and wrote a wonderful, timeless story. He spent 12 years making sure it was written properly, starting over from scratch multiple times.

The other is a pulp scifi writer with a Master's in journalism who made up a handful of words for his fictional language, and knows his own fictional world so poorly that he requires the help of a fan (a goddamn loving fan) to tell him what's what. It's been 15 years so far, and no end to this in sight.

In four hundred years, people will still be reading and studying John Ronald Reuel Tolkien. I seriously doubt the same will be said of George Raymond Richard Martin.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Scissors posted:

That break is going to last 5 years. :(

No I think that break is going to last an eternity since he's going to die before Winds of Winter even so much as becomes a twinkling in his poo poo-filled dick.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

Some of the comments on that page are just darling:

quote:

Can't disagree that SoS will have to grace 2 seasons. Oh, sorry, HBO lol. I think that Mr Martin, whose books I have been reading for more than 20 years, will pick up his writing pace for WoW so as not to lose the fantastic momentum he's finally got going. Especially given the horribly short attention span people have for entertainment these days. I'd expect Winds of Winter in about a year.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Some of the comments on that page are just darling:

:shobon:

Maybe he means WoW will be started in a year, which is still a stretch.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Technically it's already started because he moved parts of ADWD into it.

This is how he will justify putting off writing for even longer.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

quote:

[Editor's note: This is the subject of many convoluted fan conspiracy theories.] And that was one of the first things to go in the TV series — the purple contact lenses didn't look good on camera.

Wonderful. Sounds like gurm is going to adjust his writing to fit the series.
A F

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

And no, George RR Martin is in no way comparable to John RR Tolkien. One was a professor of english and literature at Oxford, creating his masterwork out of his love for mythology, language, history, and poetry. He meticulously created the entire history of the world, with multiple languages, hammering every detail out before putting ink to paper, and wrote a wonderful, timeless story. He spent 12 years making sure it was written properly, starting over from scratch multiple times.

Agreed in full. I absolutely LOVE to go back and read Christophers compilation of his fathers notes and early versions of the books. Strider started out as an oversized hobbit. :allears:

You don't get to be akin to JRRT simply by writing a bunch of :words: and sticking "RR" in your name.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Only the good die young though... the absolute fucker might outlive us all.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Fog Tripper posted:

Wonderful. Sounds like gurm is going to adjust his writing to fit the series.
A F

I guess thats only bad if you happen to loathe the tv series like Fog Trip- oh wait.

Ello Garcon probably and reminds grrm about character/plot arcs and is actually guiding the story at his own nefarious whim.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Salman Rushdie calls Game Of Thrones "trash," The Wire "just a police series," is Awesome

quote:

“It was garbage, yet very addictive garbage—because there's lots of violence, all the women take their clothes off all the time, and it's kind of fun. In the end, it's well-produced trash, but there's room for that, too."

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The picture they used for him makes me want to punch my monitor really hard in the hopes that his face will somehow feel it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The amount of smug he manages to convey in that image is truly a thing to behold.

But since I agree with him I think it's awesome.

I mean just look at this:

Imagine him calling Gurm an absolute fucker.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
One time when I was relaxing after an intense game of b-ball I saw Salman Rushdie in the sauna and he looked just as smug in there.