Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freudorbison
Sep 5, 2011
So uh guys, how about that new Metallica album with Lou Reed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

freudorbison posted:

I couldn't get past Mistress Dread. I really tried but no can do.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
For anyone that is a fan of Angra or Angra's singer:

Almah just released a new album. Havent had a chance to listen to the whole thing yet but its way more laid back than Fragile Equality from what I've heard, but still fantastic.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

freudorbison posted:

Speaking of old bands releasing new albums, anybody heard Megadeth's new songs on Thirteen? I'm really not impressed, sounds pretty boring and mediocre to me.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

Dead Man Posting posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWzlSeGR5bU

Note: Entirely in Finnish

Basically it's a documentary trailer about Finnish black metal (manly music according to some interviewee). Every third or fourth word is translated as "gently caress" or "drat"

This video is incredible...

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

freudorbison posted:

I'm a huge Metallica apologist, but this album was a terrible idea.

To be fair, it really isn't Metallica's fault though. Their music has some pretty awesome backing riffs in there that I wish had been saved for an actual album. The problems with "Lulu" are 90% because Lou Reed entered the Bob Dylan "Why is he still trying to do vocals?" territory. Seems like Hetfield and Co. jumped at the idea of working with him for personal reasons before realizing it sounded better in theory than it actually turned out.

Strangely, the stuff that actually works is the weird ambient stuff like the first half of "Cheat on Me" and most of "Junior Dad." It's different from anything Metallica has ever done, but if the whole album had been done with that style, they may have actually pulled it off since it couples with Lou's vocals a Hell of a lot better than... whatever the majority of the album was trying. :stare:

e: In fact, listening to the album a little more (trying anyway), "Junior Dad" pisses me off because it makes me think of what kind of cool, chill-out, relaxing album they could have made instead. If they had made a whole album of stuff like that, it could have had so much potential! :argh:

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Oct 20, 2011

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Axel Serenity posted:

I'm a huge Metallica apologist, but this album was a terrible idea.

To be fair, it really isn't Metallica's fault though. Their music has some pretty awesome backing riffs in there that I wish had been saved for an actual album. The problems with "Lulu" are 90% because Lou Reed entered the Bob Dylan "Why is he still trying to do vocals?" territory. Seems like Hetfield and Co. jumped at the idea of working with him for personal reasons before realizing it sounded better in theory than it actually turned out.

Strangely, the stuff that actually works is the weird ambient stuff like the first half of "Cheat on Me" and most of "Junior Dad." It's different from anything Metallica has ever done, but if the whole album had been done with that style, they may have actually pulled it off since it couples with Lou's vocals a Hell of a lot better than... whatever the majority of the album was trying. :stare:

e: In fact, listening to the album a little more (trying anyway), "Junior Dad" pisses me off because it makes me think of what kind of cool, chill-out, relaxing album they could have made instead. If they had made a whole album of stuff like that, it could have had so much potential! :argh:

Pumping Blood had some really cool parts, such a waste!

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

freudorbison posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Daann3r3e98

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

freudorbison posted:

This album is so bad that I actually chuckle to myself thinking about James Hetfield yelling "I AM THE TABLE!" while an old drunkard mumbles incomprehensible lyrics.

Edit: :staredog: David Fricke of Rolling Stone heard at least two of the songs from the project in June 2011—"Pumping Blood" and "Mistress Dread"—and described their sound as a "raging union of [Reed's] 1973 noir classic, Berlin, and Metallica's '86 crusher, Master of Puppets."[9]

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 20, 2011

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
postmodern tom waits

I don't see how rote emulation of Johnny Cash right after he died and his music was everywhere constitutes some kind of musical evolution

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 20, 2011

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sounds more like Jello Biafra.

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009

freudorbison posted:

"Little Dog" is quite possibly the worst...thing I've heard. Ever.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Neurosis posted:

Edit: :staredog: David Fricke of Rolling Stone heard at least two of the songs from the project in June 2011—"Pumping Blood" and "Mistress Dread"—and described their sound as a "raging union of [Reed's] 1973 noir classic, Berlin, and Metallica's '86 crusher, Master of Puppets."[9]

I think Metallica must get some kind of pass from the music press - I remember lots of positive poo poo from people who'd gotten previews of St. Anger not long before it came out, too.

edit: oh my god this album is so loving bad

Popular Human fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 20, 2011

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Misogynist posted:

I don't see how rote emulation of Johnny Cash right after he died and his music was everywhere constitutes some kind of musical evolution

Playing blues isn't emulating johnny cash

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Morbid Florist posted:

Playing blues isn't emulating johnny cash
are you loving kidding me or are we listening to different vocal tracks right now

Stoo
Dec 29, 2004
SHART MY JORTS

420 shart jorts everyday
Last.fm apparently had some kind of horrific datacentre hardware failure at almost exactly the same time i started listening to that poo poo album. It's almost like their server farm chose to commit suicide rather than scrobble it. Without any hyperbole, it's the worst thing i've heard in years.

On a completely different note, holy poo poo I just heard the new Taake album. Love the banjo solo :banjo:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Stoo posted:

On a completely different note, holy poo poo I just heard the new Taake album. Love the banjo solo :banjo:

I burst out laughing every single time.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Just dropping by to recommend Paradox, if you like your German thrash metal served with riffs, lots of riffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiF1XjuTcAE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDt7bflyfd0

And their new stuff is not too shabby either.

Also can someone recommend me something in the veins of ayreon and star one\gamma ray's somewhere out in space? im jonesing for some metal space opera.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

God loving Damnit

Lulu could easily be the worst album I have ever heard. It is comedically terrible in that when I heard it I was disgusted by what I heard...Jesus

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Misogynist posted:

are you loving kidding me or are we listening to different vocal tracks right now
WTF are you smoking, man? Lemmy just sounds like himself to me.
And I don't see how sprawling into other genres is NOT musical evolution of some sort.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

freudorbison posted:

SPILLING BLOOD. I actually shook my head here and there, said out loud by myself, "what the gently caress...". It's such a terrible piece of poo poo. Metallica should just loving give it up or start drinking heavily again so they can make something good. gently caress them.

I never enjoyed Lou Reed so who gives a gently caress what he does.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 22, 2016

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Ahahahaha, I wandered into this thread after just listening to Lulu and wonder if anyone was talking about it.

Did they honestly think this was a good idea? The entire idea just sounds like a mish-mash mess without any cohesiveness whatsoever. The cover art is disturbing enough. Then I started actually listening to the music.

I'm just appalled, and this is coming from someone who thought they made a big comeback with Death Magnetic and also considers Load one of their best albums. What the gently caress am I listening to? What is Lou Reed blabbing about? Why do Metallica sound like they're half awake playing music? Why does James just seem to spaz out once in a while with the worst "lyrics" he's ever sang since St. Anger? "I AM THE TABLET!"? Why are there 10 songs on 2 CDs? A 20-minute track? Really?

I swear I tried, but I got bored halfway through the second song. There's no way I could survive the three 10+ minute songs on here.

What a waste.

Holy loving :lol:

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 21, 2011

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well in more positive news, the new Iced Earth album is pretty drat good.

I was really loving stoked when I heard Barlow was coming back to the band, which of course made me all the more disappointed when Crucible of Man came out and turned out to be bland and mediocre as hell. So disappointed in fact that I barely shrugged when I heard Barlow had left again.

But this new album? drat, this is actually good. And the new guy Stu Block actually sounds so much like Barlow that it's all like The Dark Saga and Something Wicked This Way Comes all over again. I loving approve.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Stoo posted:

This is a perfect example of things that dont belong in a genre yet make the song absolutely incredible. Im listening to this and thinking to myself "Yeah this totally belongs here and isnt out of place whatsoever" except not at all sarcastic.

Also never heard of this band and I've been craving some fresh black metal so THANK YOU SIR.

On the topic of Metallicas latest 'thing'. I couldnt even make it through one song. NOPE.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Was just thinking about how goddamned good the last half of 2011 has been for metal.

New Warbringer, Skeletonwitch, Evile, Iced Earth, Insomnium, Animals as Leaders and Megadeth, and Cynic albums all within the span of a few weeks? Im sure theres more that I missed, but I cannot mentally process this much amazing metal.

Speaking of the new Iced Earth, its really quite good. I havent seen it discussed yet but it sounds a hell of a lot like Demons and Wizards but without Hansi.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009
Thing is, the album sounds like it has potential. Lou Read at times even suits it but ultimately ends up sounding like he's never kept time with music. The spoken word thing could work if it was done right, some riffs sound pretty mean.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I want James Hetfield's drugs. I mean, I've thought lots of things, but never that I was a loving table.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I tried 3 different songs and I couldn't make it to James Hetfield's vocal parts. Should I try again?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Just dropping by to recommend Paradox, if you like your German thrash metal served with riffs, lots of riffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiF1XjuTcAE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDt7bflyfd0

And their new stuff is not too shabby either.

Also can someone recommend me something in the veins of ayreon and star one\gamma ray's somewhere out in space? im jonesing for some metal space opera.

Much appreciation for this recommendation. I hadn't heard of them before and I've been listening to Electrify and Heresy today and they own. They make me think of a thrashier Fate's Warning, or maybe Fate's Warning spliced with a bit of Testament.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Oct 21, 2011

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I tried 3 different songs and I couldn't make it to James Hetfield's vocal parts. Should I try again?

I wouldn't, no.

Also, just listened to the Taake song with the banjo solo in it ("Myr"). Well, I listened to it twice because I was laughing the first time. Holy poo poo, it's so good! How did they make it good? I'm impressed.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 21, 2011

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

If "The View" is any indication, then Lulu lies on the same level of awfulness as Bob Dylan's Christmas album: so bad it's hilarious. I'll give the rest of the songs a listen, though.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Defiant Sally posted:

Was just thinking about how goddamned good the last half of 2011 has been for metal.

New Warbringer, Skeletonwitch, Evile, Iced Earth, Insomnium, Animals as Leaders and Megadeth, and Cynic albums all within the span of a few weeks? Im sure theres more that I missed, but I cannot mentally process this much amazing metal.

Speaking of the new Iced Earth, its really quite good. I havent seen it discussed yet but it sounds a hell of a lot like Demons and Wizards but without Hansi.

I've been wanting to get into new metal for awhile. Anything you can recommend from those new albums? Not Megadeth, though. Not impressed with Thirteen at all.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

QPZIL posted:

I wouldn't, no.

Also, just listened to the Taake song with the banjo solo in it ("Myr"). Well, I listened to it twice because I was laughing the first time. Holy poo poo, it's so good! How did they make it good? I'm impressed.

Taake has always seemed a little "off" to me, and they've only gotten stranger. I can't recall exactly which song, but they use a really comedic "boing" noise in one of the other recent albums.

Hoest may be going slightly more and more insane. Which is good.

Not Very Metal fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 21, 2011

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Misogynist posted:

That's lemmy's voice whether he's talking or singing chief. A gravelly voice over a blues line has nothing to do with johnny cash. Or if it does, then johnny cash was nothing but "rote emulation" of every black blues singer decades older than him.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Welp, as good as the new Iced Earth is, it can pack its bags and gently caress right off along with all other music for a couple days now, because I just got myself the new Astral Doors album.

Jesus gently caress this stuff is so good it hurts.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Nordick posted:

Well in more positive news, the new Iced Earth album is pretty drat good.

I was really loving stoked when I heard Barlow was coming back to the band, which of course made me all the more disappointed when Crucible of Man came out and turned out to be bland and mediocre as hell. So disappointed in fact that I barely shrugged when I heard Barlow had left again.

But this new album? drat, this is actually good. And the new guy Stu Block actually sounds so much like Barlow that it's all like The Dark Saga and Something Wicked This Way Comes all over again. I loving approve.
Having seen Stu Block a few times with Into Eternity (including once with Iced Earth) I was really surprised to hear how good his baritone vocals sound. I'm a little split on the songwriting on this album -- it's a little too Dark Saga for my tastes -- but there's no doubt that there's an energy on this album that hasn't been there in over a decade and this is probably the strongest Iced Earth lineup since the Horror Show tour.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 21, 2011

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Man, I totally have to check out this Lulu thing now.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
"Lulu doesn't appeal to the masses because it is challenging for the listener. Those who don't "get it" won't make it through a whole song, let alone a whole album. If you like experimental, hosed up, trippy, proggy, heavy, monolouge, storytelling, concept, avante garde, structure raping, disturbed, experience music, then Lou Reed & Metallica's Lulu album is for you. If you don't like this side of music and prefer straight-forward songs, you won't find any here. loving masterpiece of an album. Really breaks new ground. Not just an album, it's an EXPERIENCE! Not everyone will like the album, it's not "accessable" to alot of people. It'll be challenging for most listeners with long, experimental songs. The album sounds loving crazy."

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Nerve, I always read your post as if you were Varg and it's great. Even if I am not 100% sure it's him in your avatar

I am late on this but look at what I came across today. New Myrkgrav. Well, it is new to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGQC_2HzXkw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcqtsXF4in4

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 21, 2011