Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chickenbisket
Apr 27, 2006
I think he has a turbo, and some really short gearing where he's redlining in third gear to hit 60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
His motor is bone stock.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Your mom was in the passenger seat.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
97 stock block in a 94 body: 4000rpm open loop everyday.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
What AF does a stock miata run open loop (B6 or BP)? Sub 12?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

You guys really get that low MPG? I find I average about 29mpg (8L/100km) or so.

Of course, everyone drives so drat slowly in this town that I only get to play when the idiots in front of me take a corner at more than... 15km/h.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

Mr.AARP posted:

Anyone have experience with Carbotech AX6's?

I don't run/own a Miata but I have a set on my daily drive/auto-x Yaris. They're a great car stopper but the trade-off is a LOT of brake dust and a lot of noise. Overall i'd buy them again but be prepared for dirty wheels and sounding like a school bus whenever you brake.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I average 24 mpg and get 10-11 at the track. Nearly stock NB.

I was originally surprised such a small car gets such lovely mileage but Mazda made 5th gear way too short..

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The gearing is super short on the Miata and there are no torques. Last year I averaged 18mpg at my first track event, 15ish at my second, and I hit 10 and change this past weekend.

if (rpm >= 4000) dumpFuel();

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Phone posted:

The gearing is super short on the Miata and there are no torques. Last year I averaged 18mpg at my first track event, 15ish at my second, and I hit 10 and change this past weekend.

The gearing isn't really that short for that type of car.

My brothers ITR and mothers Suzuki Swift are about the same in fifth, and my older Integra was even shorter and they all got excellent gas mileage if you don't go faster than 110kph or so.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I get 20-24 in my turbo car and got 10-12mpg on track when it was stock.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
The highest I got on my 91 1.6 was 37mpg. I usually get 28-32mpg though.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

Podothehobbit posted:

I don't run/own a Miata but I have a set on my daily drive/auto-x Yaris. They're a great car stopper but the trade-off is a LOT of brake dust and a lot of noise. Overall i'd buy them again but be prepared for dirty wheels and sounding like a school bus whenever you brake.

How difficult is it to remove the brake dust? Can you just hose it off?

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

Anyone have a line on 195/60/14 Falken 615ks for cheaper than Vulcan Tire?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Grayham posted:

There are some sprays that can help 'break it up (har har)', but your best helper is always elbow grease - but if your alloys are pitted beneath, don't say I didn't warn you.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

What's the most :effort: place for me to tap for an oil pressure sender? NA8

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Phone posted:

This is probably a :gay: question but has anyone done a megasquirt or something similar and tuned it for better economy?

Solosilent
Dec 16, 2005

dreesemonkey posted:

This is probably a :gay: question but has anyone done a megasquirt or something similar and tuned it for better economy?

If no one else has, whenever I get mine to work I'll run it NA for a little bit and tune it to normal AFR values above 4k and let you know.

I've just got to find time where I don't have an asston of school work, my rear passenger caliper isn't vomiting brake fluid, and figure out why my CAS won't sync with the MS first...

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.

Grayham posted:

I've always found the brake dust is largely impervious to sprayed soapy water, but comes of easily with a brush or ever your finger.

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

Mr.AARP posted:

Anyone have a line on 195/60/14 Falken 615ks for cheaper than Vulcan Tire?

I don't know of anywhere that would beat 89/tire on those, but star specs aren't terribly more and are so much better, looks like only tirerack has them at the moment though.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

beatdown posted:

I don't know of anywhere that would beat 89/tire on those, but star specs aren't terribly more and are so much better, looks like only tirerack has them at the moment though.

To be fair, a difference of $23 per tire adds up quickly.

I don't know how much of an improvement the 615K is to the 615, but Star Specs grip significantly better than 615s in my experience.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Solosilent posted:

If no one else has, whenever I get mine to work I'll run it NA for a little bit and tune it to normal AFR values above 4k and let you know.

I've just got to find time where I don't have an asston of school work, my rear passenger caliper isn't vomiting brake fluid, and figure out why my CAS won't sync with the MS first...

Well to be fair I guess if you're over 4k in 5th you're not going to get great gas mileage anyway, but I'm sure you can gain a few mpg by not having the ECU

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
I might be buying a MegaSquirt PNP pretty soon. It'll be fun to try and get a little better fuel economy before the car is turbo'ed.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dreesemonkey posted:

Well to be fair I guess if you're over 4k in 5th you're not going to get great gas mileage anyway, but I'm sure you can gain a few mpg by not having the ECU

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

4k in 5th is ~130km/h, or exactly where I need to be if I don't want to become a rolling roadblock. The engine does sound pretty nice when accelerating around those speeds, I guess that's the sound money makes when burning. I need to take note of the mileage next time I fill up, it's been too much fun driving to care about this so far.

What kind of winter tire size would you guys recommend? I'm probably going to also buy an extra set of steelies or cheapo alloys so it can be any size, with lower price being preferred.

I also see a brake pad replacement in my near future, but how can I tell which pads do I need? There seem to be about a hundred different types even once I drill down to the NB in the various catalogs. The brands also don't tell me anything, there's Bendix, ATE, Nipparts, Valeo, ICER, Ferdo, and Bosch :confused:. Well I'm sure Bosch is solid, but also most expensive of the bunch.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

4k in 5th is ~130km/h, or exactly where I need to be if I don't want to become a rolling roadblock. The engine does sound pretty nice when accelerating around those speeds, I guess that's the sound money makes when burning. I need to take note of the mileage next time I fill up, it's been too much fun driving to care about this so far.

What kind of winter tire size would you guys recommend? I'm probably going to also buy an extra set of steelies or cheapo alloys so it can be any size, with lower price being preferred.

I'm going with 185/65/R14's on 14" steelies, probably general altimax arctics. Never used them before, but heard good things and they're really cheap.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Having the rear sway bar attached owns. I think I might just try to burn up my R-S3s this weekend at autox so I have an excuse to sell two sets of wheels. If you're in NC and want a set of daisies for cheap or a set of Kosei K1-TS 15x7s for 350ish, hit me up. I'll probably put them on CL soon.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Grayham posted:

I might be buying a MegaSquirt PNP pretty soon. It'll be fun to try and get a little better fuel economy before the car is turbo'ed.
The MSPNP is garbage. Buy a DIYPNP from Braineack or bust. This is coming from a guy who had a MS1, a MSPNP and currently has a DIYPNP with sequential injection. Do it right the first time.

To answer someone's question, yes, it's quite easy to tune AFR in cruise to whatever you want.

Chickenbisket
Apr 27, 2006
What's wrong with the MSPNP? I've been looking at getting a MegaSquirt for a bit now and it seemed like the best option. I haven't seen anything negative posted about it, but I know MegaSquirts are kind of a niche product so it's hard to find much feedback at all.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Chickenbisket posted:

What's wrong with the MSPNP? I've been looking at getting a MegaSquirt for a bit now and it seemed like the best option. I haven't seen anything negative posted about it, but I know MegaSquirts are kind of a niche product so it's hard to find much feedback at all.
My biggest gripe was that idle control is terrible on the MSPNP. DIYPNP costs the same or less assembled and is better in every single aspect. The MSPNP isn't bad or unworkable by any means, it was nice just plugging it in and driving to work, but the DIYPNP is simply superior. It's little stuff like having a 12v and ground right next to the O2 sensor input on the breakout harness as opposed to having to tap them yourself.

As for lack of feedback, I don't think you've looked? http://www.miataturbo.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
Just to close out; I swapped out the clutch master and that seems to have been the problem. I don't understand it, but whatever.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

Grayham posted:

To be fair, a difference of $23 per tire adds up quickly.

I don't know how much of an improvement the 615K is to the 615, but Star Specs grip significantly better than 615s in my experience.

Yep, $100 difference between the two adds up for a student budget. My friend has 615Ks and has said they're a HUGE improvement over the crap that was the 615s.

In a perfect world I would have bought the Star Specs when they still had a $100 rebate...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

destructo posted:

The MSPNP is garbage. Buy a DIYPNP from Braineack or bust. This is coming from a guy who had a MS1, a MSPNP and currently has a DIYPNP with sequential injection. Do it right the first time.

To answer someone's question, yes, it's quite easy to tune AFR in cruise to whatever you want.

Yep, definitely get one from Brain. Same price, MS2 > MS1 and he can do custom stuff for you as well. Great support from him too, he's answered about 100 of my stupid questions.

Solosilent
Dec 16, 2005

dreesemonkey posted:

If I hang right below 4k for an extended trip, I'm able to get between 29-31 mpg. Anything above that and I get about 22-24. Hopefully it'll close that gap!

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Mr.AARP posted:

Yep, $100 difference between the two adds up for a student budget. My friend has 615Ks and has said they're a HUGE improvement over the crap that was the 615s.

In a perfect world I would have bought the Star Specs when they still had a $100 rebate...

Just get the star specs. $100 isn't a lot, even if you're a student. Just skip the bar for two weekends! These are tires.. they're kind of important.

(Sorry, been dealing with a lot of 'but I'm a student' excuses for buying crappy gear/tires/etc lately. Truth is, I was in the same situation a few years ago and if this is your hobby, it's a lot better to buy the good stuff, even if it means cutting corners elsewhere. I made that mistake more than a few times.)

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Getting great tires instead of top-of-the-line tires isn't really cutting corners

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
No, it's not. It's also not what I said. I said just cut some corners elsewhere... $100 is little enough in the grand scheme of things that you might as well get the better rubber.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The Azeni tread pattern can't tread water.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Those of you with hardtops, how did you find/get them? Craigslist has had 2 in the past month, and neither one was the right color. Don't think any miss matched color would go well with a black car sadly.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
Found one on craigslist from a lady who had crashed his miata a few years prior, asked her how much she wanted, she said $200, I drove down and picked it up that day. Sometimes you just get lucky. As for color I just had a vinyl stick made for the whole thing, 1 year later and it looks lovely but it was only $100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr

blugu64 posted:

Those of you with hardtops, how did you find/get them? Craigslist has had 2 in the past month, and neither one was the right color. Don't think any miss matched color would go well with a black car sadly.

Craigslist in my area has had a bunch, ranging from $650(turned out to be stolen and guy was caught by the cops) to a retarded $1500. Most around $900. I've got an Evo-Orange Miata that will never be color-matched, so I've just decided that I'll just get one of any color and pony up the 300 bones to get it right eventually. Just keep plugging along on craigslist, I've had good luck with SearchTempest and a 500 mile range.