Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

trandorian posted:

This doesn't work for a lot of people. Especially in multiplayer servers where odds are someone else has already grabbed a lot of the easy diamond.

I can see where multiplayer would make it a bit more of a hassle, but this is also a game that generates infinite terrain in any direction you choose to walk.

trandorian posted:

And again, diamond deposits can easily be only one or two blocks, not enough to get a pick out of.

1-2 block deposits are extremely uncommon and if you stop to dig out the diagonals you'll usually find more nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

trandorian posted:

And again, diamond deposits can easily be only one or two blocks, not enough to get a pick out of.

This is how things tend to go for me, and I make it a point to always carve out around a deposit of ore to see if there's any more.

I've burned out diamond pickaxes before finding more diamond deposits fairly consistently.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Cheap Shot posted:

You can do two way water elevators. I designed this for a place I was building.

The shaft needs to be 2x2 and the entranceways need to be 2 high. The brown squares are signs. Look at the image like it is cut in half. You'd have to double it to make it work. When you're done though you don't have to fight current to raise up the elevevator, and you don't drown because of the air pockets between each layer of water. It lets you drop down quickly and raise quickly while still controlling where you stop and get out and whatnot.

That's pretty neat, how fast is it?

I miss the old boat elevators. They were like a reverse log-flume ride :(

truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

WARNING: Contents may contain traces of nuts.
Until two days ago I had found exactly three diamonds in my 1.9 world, and two of those were from chests. On a whim I dug down until bedrock and started digging in my old grid pattern, which was never that successful for me in the past, which is why I had been trying unsuccessfully to acquire them through exploration of the vast cave systems that later iteration of the game seem to generate.

Long story short, I found about 20 diamonds after using maybe 9 steel pick axes digging at bedrock. I've since doubled the search area and found maybe only two more diamonds. I'm going to go back and search the area immediately above my first search area.

I guess that it's easy to dig a huge chunk out and not find any diamonds and conclude that diamonds are more or less prevalent at certain depths compared to previous iterations, but I think a lot of perceived correlations may be due to luck.

truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

Doublepost - all SA images are blocked where I work, so it's hard to see what I'm clicking on :(

truncated aardvar fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 20, 2011

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Slung Blade posted:

That's pretty neat, how fast is it?

I miss the old boat elevators. They were like a reverse log-flume ride :(

Well it doesn't go log flume speed. It's pretty much the speed you do in water when you're not against a current. A little faster going down.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Cheap Shot posted:

http://www.creeperedout.tumblr.com

The community however is a source ripe with humour. Todays comic branched into the modding community where there is plenty of material. If I want to keep going with this comic though you're probably right. I'll either have to break from minecraft humour or break from the silent narrative. Cross that bridge when I get to it though.

On that note, I love the direction you've taken with the latest comic.

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Just for the sake of this lovely dialogue, I think the question of whether there's enough diamonds for you is pretty much dependent on whether or not you know that diamonds are best ground from the earth at 12-18 height using a spergy efficient method.

In my case it also depends on if I want to use that tactic, which I find extraordinarily boring and cheesy. I prefer to spelunk until I find a big ravine or can just manage to stumble into enough tunnels that I get down to that level. It makes the early MC game more rewarding, makes you a better cave-diver, and honestly just play better. Then again, I only use diamonds for picks and a sword to back up my bow, I never saw the sense in using diamond armor because I have enough sense to look at my inventory screen if I get into some wild combat and am not retarded. IIRC, all armor reduces damage equally, it's just about durability, so only bad Minecraft players or those in a post-scarcity world use diamond armor.

What are you guys QQing about diamonds for again? Yeah, iron's durability isn't fantastic. I play roguelikes, not creative and easy mode, babbies.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The idea is, why not have a material between iron and diamond in terms of durability, usefulness, and ease of finding? Diamond is like 7 or 8 times more durable than Iron, while Iron is only about 4 times more durable than stone, which is everywhere, and doesn't even make armor. And at this point with changes to passive mobs, there's really only two viable kinds of armor, iron and diamond, seeing as gold is lovely, and you can't just kill a ton of cows for leather anymore by simply walking between chunks to make them respawn.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Not to mention there's no legit way to get chainmail armor, which isn't very good either.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
What if you could alloy Metals.

So you find 2 diamonds, but you throw in an iron ingot to your pickaxe recipe to complete it, and result in a lesser diamond pick?

So it would be:

D I D
X W X
X W X

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich
I actually agree, I was just fuckin' around, I would love to see copper/tin/bronze and wouldn't mind seeing a differentiation between iron and steel. I would rather Mojang got the in-game crafting recipe poo poo worked out and streamlined before it goes a lot further with new poo poo though.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Am I the only person who only uses stone picks unless the ore requires a higher tier? I hate 'wasting' iron or diamond for use in picks on plain stone.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Am I the only person who only uses stone picks unless the ore requires a higher tier? I hate 'wasting' iron or diamond for use in picks on plain stone.

I'm the same. Stone picks move fast enough through stone for me if I'm just exploring and I've always had terrible luck with iron.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RossMan4Life posted:

I never saw the sense in using diamond armor because I have enough sense to look at my inventory screen if I get into some wild combat and am not retarded. IIRC, all armor reduces damage equally, it's just about durability, so only bad Minecraft players or those in a post-scarcity world use diamond armor.

This is no longer true as of 1.9pre4. Diamond armor is now objectively more protective than other armors, regardless of durability. Iron armor is stronger than gold, and gold is stronger than leather.

The one exception is gold helmets, which are just as good as iron helmets.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I use stone picks until I build up a stack or two of iron, and I use iron from then on. I almost never use diamond picks unless I'm harvesting obsidian.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 3, 2012

Evil Orca
Aug 30, 2011

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Stone picks are way more convenient to use since you don't have to smelt anything to use them you just need a stick. I usually keep an iron pick just for rare stones and use my stone pick for everything else.

truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

RossMan4Life posted:

In my case it also depends on if I want to use that tactic, which I find extraordinarily boring and cheesy. I prefer to spelunk until I find a big ravine or can just manage to stumble into enough tunnels that I get down to that level. It makes the early MC game more rewarding, makes you a better cave-diver, and honestly just play better. Then again, I only use diamonds for picks and a sword to back up my bow, I never saw the sense in using diamond armor because I have enough sense to look at my inventory screen if I get into some wild combat and am not retarded. IIRC, all armor reduces damage equally, it's just about durability, so only bad Minecraft players or those in a post-scarcity world use diamond armor.

I actually prefer spelunking too, but the constant barrage of creepers I was getting recently was more tiresome than working grids, believe it or not. I wasn't even looking to acquire diamonds until I looked up enchanting tables - the fact that I required more diamonds than I had managed to find in the 3+ weeks of playing my world to make a table and to make a diamond pick in order to extract obsidian gave me little choice as pickings were slim in the three huge cavern complexes I had explored.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
Does anybody have tips for getting MC to run faster on a netbook, specifically a Toshiba NB525? Minecraft runs but I get around 15-20FPS and its just a chore to try to play like that. Somebody recommended GMA Booster but I can't figure out which version to run as my netbook has an Intel Atom chip and it isn't listed under GMA boosters supported versions.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

My hotbar is usually very organized, and that organization only allows me the use of 1 pick at a time, unless for some reason I'm not carrying an axe/shovel. So to me, having to stop to change a stone pick to iron is just annoying and time consuming. Iron is plentiful enough that I don't mind using it for picks all the time.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

a cock shaped fruit posted:

What if you could alloy Metals.

So you find 2 diamonds, but you throw in an iron ingot to your pickaxe recipe to complete it, and result in a lesser diamond pick?

So it would be:

D I D
X W X
X W X

Or the other way around, combine a single diamond with an iron pick and get a diamond-tipped pick.

Cooking iron into steel would probably be the easiest solution. (but the most boring)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

RossMan4Life posted:

Just for the sake of this lovely dialogue, I think the question of whether there's enough diamonds for you is pretty much dependent on whether or not you know that diamonds are best ground from the earth at 12-18 height using a spergy efficient method.

In my case it also depends on if I want to use that tactic, which I find extraordinarily boring and cheesy.
I absolutely agree. Digging out a speg-wastika is about the most boring and tedious way to spend one's time. And it feels dumb since it is neither fun gameplay nor anything like realistic mining.

A mod that I would highly recommend for people who want a legit experience but more entertaining prospecting is finder compass. It adds additional colored lines to the compass that point at diamond or other (user-configured) blocktypes. Since it has limited range, it doesn't feel nearly as much a cheat as xray or other instant diamonds. You still have to mine or explore a bit to find them.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Iron is so unbelievably plentiful, that I'm pretty much guaranteed to never run out, even on a multiplayer server where everyone can mine out everything underground (and they do).

I usually only use my diamond for picks and swords as well, so I've got tons of iron reserved because diamond picks and swords take forever to run out.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Macaluso posted:

Iron is so unbelievably plentiful, that I'm pretty much guaranteed to never run out, even on a multiplayer server where everyone can mine out everything underground (and they do).

I usually only use my diamond for picks and swords as well, so I've got tons of iron reserved because diamond picks and swords take forever to run out.

I'd feel really bad using iron on picks because that means less rail pieces for my bitchin' rollercoaster :shobon:

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
So how do you guys organize your hotbar anyway? My exploring layout is like so:

1) Stone pickaxe
2) Iron sword
3) Stone shovel
4) Stone axe
5) Variable - iron pickaxe, stone hoe, or diamond pickaxe
6) Torches
7) Blocks - Dirt, cobble, wood, etc.
8) Ladder
9) Food

I get really :spergin: when I die and MY THINGS ARENT IN THE RIGHT SPOT. HOLD ON CREEPER, HOLD ON FIVE SKELETON ARCHERS. NEED 2 MOVE SWOD...

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
1. Sword, 2. Axe, 3. Pick, 4. Shovel, 5. Bow, 6. Map/Shears/Misc, 7. Dirt/quick building block, 8. Torch, 9. Food

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

RossMan4Life posted:

What are you guys QQing about diamonds for again? Yeah, iron's durability isn't fantastic. I play roguelikes, not creative and easy mode, babbies.

When dragons finally get added maby we'll see more diamonds. Diamonds are made from dragon poo poo after all...

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
1 Sword
2 Pick
3 Torches
4 Shovel
5 Axe
6 Bow
7 Dirt
8 Whatever
9 Food

Switch the axe and pick if I'm exploring above ground or chopping wood.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Sword, bow, pick, other gathering tool (shovel/axe/shears), adventuring tool (block, map, bucket), adventuring tool, adventuring tool, food, torches/flint

Good to know that we all sperg out about minecraft loadouts in similar ways. :v:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Sword
Bow
Pick
Shovel
-Blocks (cobble or dirt)
-Blocks
-Blocks
Food
Torches

One mousewheel click to get between sword, bow and torches and just one more reaches pick and food- everything used in caving. I typically only bring one stack of blocks caving (for blocking extinct tunnels or building bridges), the rest is easy to pick up while in the caves.

VVV drat right VVV

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 21, 2011

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
1. Sword
2. Bow
3. Pick Axe
4. Shovel (if below ground) or Axe (if above)
5. Cobble
6. [Free Space]
7. Clock/Compass/Map or other item depending on the situation
8. Food
9. Torches

I also organize the items in my inventory and everything is where it needs to be at all times. :unsmith:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
1. Random poo poo, maybe a pick or something I dunno
2. Well if the pick is right there I want the sword next to it!
3. Torches, but only next to the sword, which relies on where the pick is, which could be loving anywhere
4. Shovel
5. Usually cobblestone, dirt, sand, or some other quick material
6. Food, maybe? Usually random poo poo goes here
7. Random bullshit, a crafting bench I haven't put down, a furnace for undergound smelting, some obsidian, whatever.
8. Maybe some coal or ore or whatever I'm mining so I can see at a glance how much I have
9. If I have one, a bow goes here.

Y'all :spergin:in

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Evilreaver posted:

Sword
Bow
Pick
Shovel
-Blocks (cobble or dirt)
-Blocks
-Blocks
Food
Torches

One mousewheel click to get between sword, bow and torches and just one more reaches pick and food- everything used in caving. I typically only bring one stack of blocks caving (for blocking extinct tunnels or building bridges), the rest is easy to pick up while in the caves.

Are you me? This is exactly how I do things...like, exactly.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?
1. Pick
2. Shovel
3. Axe
4. Torches
5. crap
6. crap
7. crap
8. crap
9. crap

I figure that if the creepers see that I am unarmed, they won't attack me.

(it doesn't work)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Look at all you scrubs, using your mouse wheel instead of your number keys...

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

1. Sword 2. Shovel 3. Pix 4. Bow (optional) 5-7. Blocks 8. Food 9. Torches

Flater
Oct 20, 2006

Ask me about sucking Batman's dick
With the addition of powered tracks I don't know why they have been made to work vertically with a modified railcart for an elevator.

DeliriousDelight
Feb 22, 2011

"Let's spend $90 for a robo-puppy who will follow me and play with me and love me forever!"

The dog just walks around and sleeps all day. It won't even play fetch. What kind of dog won't play fetch?
1) Pickaxe
2) Axe
3) Shovel
4) Sword
5) Torches
6) Bow
7) Dirt/Cobblestone/Other Blocks
8) Other
9) Food Item

What can I say v:shobon:v I tend to avoid combat. Mining has always been the fun part of Minecraft for me.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
1. Pickaxe
2. Shovel
3. Axe
4. Sword
5. Bow
6. Torches
7. Bread
8. Water bucket
9. Building block (dirt or cobble)

That's my base set. I'll change them up as needed (drop an axe if I'm spelunking and replace with another quick block; drop the water bucket if I'm traveling and add a boat or compass), but this is what I mostly have.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Nettle Soup posted:

I made something silly.

http://build-what.com/

It's only basic at the moment, it's for a college project. Will be making it into a proper site as it goes on. I might add a DF section too.

I added a load more words last night, mostly to the statues, but a few to others too. I also added a blog which can double as a suggestions-box for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

Design a great run down castle out of trees. Put it close to an ocean, and make sure there's a natural dungeon above it.

Underground castle made out of trees concealed by a dungeon near the ocean? Count me in.

Unrelated: Holy christ, it took me several weeks' worth of updates to notice that you don't spawn on sand anymore when you start a new world. :doh:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 21, 2011