Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

How do I get Karmic Justice to work? I've been running around letting various enemies beat the poo poo out of me but it doesn't seem to want to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Yodzilla posted:

Ugh loving Blighttown :psyduck:

I can tell it's challenging but not impossible but it wouldn't be nearly so hard if the performance wasn't total !@#$%^&*. Good lord I think I was getting 15-20 fps throughout that entire section. Thanks to the kind souls who allowed me to summon them to get through. Much appreciated.

Even you Maneater Miranda. You were nice enough to help me out twice immediately after I slaughtered you when you invaded my game. Shame I lost the 15k souls you dropped though.

Miranda was great on my second playthrough, she pretty much tanked the thing while me and a phantom beat down the boss. Was glad I could have the help as pyro is utterly useless agaisnt her.

@Zain, it's possible to get through without a holy weapon. You just need to bum rush the necromancers deeper in. I did it with my pyro at 18, I just screwed up and got lost and lost like 41 humanity I had built up from white phantoming.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

So I killed Seath and I have a quick question. Logan left his place in the Archives, I thought he was supposed to leave a chest when he left? After than I ran up and killed his hollow form. However, there still isn't any chest with his robe and whatnot. Did I mess this up somehow?

edit: That worked, thanks. I left once, ran back from Anor Londo, took two more times for it to show up.

marie_eh fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 21, 2011

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Syle187 posted:

So I killed Seath and I have a quick question. Logan left his place in the Archives, I thought he was supposed to leave a chest when he left? After than I ran up and killed his hollow form. However, there still isn't any chest with his robe and whatnot. Did I mess this up somehow?

Leave and come back twice or so, that's what it took to show up for me.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Zain posted:

So I did my first romp through the Catacombs (Didn't go very far) and yeah I can't see getting anywhere without a divine weapon. Also WTF is with those exploding faces?

The faces actually help you. Trigger them, step back, and watch them decimate the skeletons. But yeah if you don't have a super strong melee weapon I'd say avoid the Catacombs but it's not nearly as impossible as it seems once you learn to avoid things.

Dawnfire posted:

Miranda was great on my second playthrough, she pretty much tanked the thing while me and a phantom beat down the boss. Was glad I could have the help as pyro is utterly useless agaisnt her.

Yeah I went in the first time with my Fire Halberd and couldn't do a drat thing. Then I got one-hit killed by that AOE attack and welp.

I switched to my Gravelord Sword, summoned some dudes, and kicked her loving rear end. I think I might use that as my main from now on. Any reason not to?

Living One Post at a Time
Feb 28, 2006
Arrr!

Zain posted:

So I did my first romp through the Catacombs (Didn't go very far) and yeah I can't see getting anywhere without a divine weapon. Also WTF is with those exploding faces?

So I tried to go through the catacombs with a divine weapon and it made absolutely no difference. Is it supposed to permanently kill the skeletons or something? I saw no difference and only crap damage, so I just busted through with a big non-elemental sword as usual.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Yodzilla posted:

The faces actually help you. Trigger them, step back, and watch them decimate the skeletons. But yeah if you don't have a super strong melee weapon I'd say avoid the Catacombs but it's not nearly as impossible as it seems once you learn to avoid things.

Yeah I went in the first time with my Fire Halberd and couldn't do a !@#$%^&* thing. Then I got one-hit killed by that AOE attack and welp.

I switched to my Gravelord Sword, summoned some dudes, and kicked her loving !@#$%^&*. I think I might use that as my main from now on. Any reason not to?

It's good in the short run, like many other weapons. It's essentially like a better drake sword that can toxin things. It'll be good for a while, but you can make something better if you want, since you can only get it to +5.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

Yodzilla posted:

That can actually be a major annoyance since if you're fighting a skeleton with a divine weapon and an AOE gets the killing blow they're not disabled from coming back to life.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dawnfire posted:

+15 longsword does 200 damage, with the same c/c scaling. Broadsword does 205.

Edit: For reference, +5 lightning longsword does 200 base damage with 224 lightning damage with no scaling. +10 fire longsword does 224 base damage with 224 fire.
Man, what is it with this game and the scaling rates not improving as you upgrade weapons? Did it cause a major problem in PvP in Demon's or something?

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

Living One Post at a Time posted:

So I tried to go through the catacombs with a divine weapon and it made absolutely no difference. Is it supposed to permanently kill the skeletons or something? I saw no difference and only crap damage, so I just busted through with a big non-elemental sword as usual.

Did the same thing, made a +10 divine mace and it did half the damage my lightning halberd did and they got up just as fast.

And whens that update coming? And is there an explanation in English for it, the google translate text didn't make much sense.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Man, what is it with this game and the scaling rates not improving as you upgrade weapons? Did it cause a major problem in PvP in Demon's or something?

I don't know, I really hope they improve this in the patch so that my Enchanted Claymore is suddenly more powerful and not just cool looking on my mage. I'd also KILL for them to allow us to upgrade the silver knight weapons as normal weapons, the longsword is just too slick looking to not want to use.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Zain posted:

It's actually quite easy because there's a massive shortcut that skips 95% of the level.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

Ovaltine Jenkins posted:

How do I get Karmic Justice to work? I've been running around letting various enemies beat the poo poo out of me but it doesn't seem to want to do anything.

When I tested it it either seemed to be a very low chance of triggering or a trigger after X hits within a given time period (possibly the duration of the spell).

I didn't do enough testing to make a conclusion but if you want to see it go off, cast it and walk into the room after the fencer on the stairs where you get mobbed by the pink dudes before the bell gargoyles . That should trigger it pretty much immediately.

Has anyone experimented with a magic dagger or cestus build? I'm thinking of starting a sorcerer and using a quick weapon for melee. It seems like enchantment scaling (resins/the weapon enchantment spells) work independently of the weapon's base stats; meaning quicker weapons should put out higher dps from high level magic weapon spells then slow weapons.

The bit of experimenting I did with a cestus today I also was fairly impressed by. The recovery time from it hitting a shield was basically nil and I could kill the snakes in Sen's Fortress while they blocked with the magic damage spillover.

If nothing else a sorcerer that used magic weapon and a dagger or cestus until it gets access to high level spells could be viable.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
I'm having so much loving fun spiking fireballs at sinners stuck inside of the Painting. The Fog Ring is maybe making it too easy, but I sort of don't care because taking down FTWSKILLZ and his buddy phantoms is disgustingly fun :q:

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

oneliquidninja posted:

When I tested it it either seemed to be a very low chance of triggering or a trigger after X hits within a given time period (possibly the duration of the spell).

I didn't do enough testing to make a conclusion but if you want to see it go off, cast it and walk into the room after the fencer on the stairs where you get mobbed by the pink dudes before the bell gargoyles . That should trigger it pretty much immediately.

Has anyone experimented with a magic dagger or cestus build? I'm thinking of starting a sorcerer and using a quick weapon for melee. It seems like enchantment scaling (resins/the weapon enchantment spells) work independently of the weapon's base stats; meaning quicker weapons should put out higher dps from high level magic weapon spells then slow weapons.

The bit of experimenting I did with a cestus today I also was fairly impressed by. The recovery time from it hitting a shield was basically nil and I could kill the snakes in Sen's Fortress while they blocked with the magic damage spillover.

If nothing else a sorcerer that used magic weapon and a dagger or cestus until it gets access to high level spells could be viable.

It's also good to note that as you'd have high int, a backup enchanted weapon could be useful, especially if you picked out a fast weapon with A int scaling.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Dawnfire posted:

I don't know, I really hope they improve this in the patch so that my Enchanted Claymore is suddenly more powerful and not just cool looking on my mage. I'd also KILL for them to allow us to upgrade the silver knight weapons as normal weapons, the longsword is just too slick looking to not want to use.

This is kind of a weird thing to say because Enchanted is pretty much the only form of viable scaling. Frankly, the problem is that scaling weapons are eclipsed by the absurd damage values of non-scaling weapons. I think they wanted to compensate for the lack of scaling but went way, way overboard.

edit: Or maybe they designed the formula for Lightning/Fire damage with weaker weapons like swords and spears in mind without considering how it would affect weapons with higher base damage and how that relates to defense (the effectiveness of more damage is not linear).

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 21, 2011

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

Dawnfire posted:

It's also good to note that as you'd have high int, a backup enchanted weapon could be useful, especially if you picked out a fast weapon with A int scaling.

I'd probably go with a backup fire or lightning cestus. I think either of those might be able to lock someone with the elemental damage, especially with how quick cestus and dagger attacks come out.

Does poise effect the elemental stun locks? Like when you get hit by fire or lightning and you flinch? Or just physical flinches?

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Heavy neutrino posted:

This is kind of a weird thing to say because Enchanted is pretty much the only form of viable scaling. Frankly, the problem is that scaling weapons are eclipsed by the absurd damage values of non-scaling weapons. I think they wanted to compensate for the lack of scaling but went way, way overboard.

Suppose this is true, but as I've been sticking to SL18 for a while and haven't had the chance to start pumping into Int it appears to be less useful. Looks pretty cool though.

drink slurm
Feb 18, 2010

Anime and Weed, what else do you need?
Just saw my first(!) invasion while helping someone with Iron Golem. Poor guy spawns in to see two phantoms in full Havel's gear then proceeds to die in two hits from my Furysword :(

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
While I wait for the patch I'm rolling up a lowbie gimmick character, gonna rock the gold-hemmed set and the Lifehunt Scythe and stalk newbies as an inexorable death incarnation

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011
Can someone throw some stats at me for their +15 elemental weapons? I had some guy on the DS chat saying something like "My +15 Lightning Spear does like 250/250 damage! It's huge!" and I far outclass that with my +5 Dark Knight Greataxe and Greatsword, with the added bonus of not poking in a straight line.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

GreenAcidRage posted:

Can someone throw some stats at me for their +15 elemental weapons? I had some guy on the DS chat saying something like "My +15 Lightning Spear does like 250/250 damage! It's huge!" and I far outclass that with my +5 Dark Knight Greataxe and Greatsword, with the added bonus of not poking in a straight line.

My Lightning Zweihander +5 does 357/364

e: The Black Knight Greatsword +5 only does 307 + whatever you get form scaling, for reference.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

GreenAcidRage posted:

The lightning zweihander +5 is like 350 physical and 350 lightning.

edit: the leaping heavy attack still one-shots most large enemies in new game plus so far, but the normal heavy attack doesn't anymore. The normal attack only one-shots very weak enemies.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 21, 2011

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

GreenAcidRage posted:

+5 Lightning Zweihander, one of the weapons most people say is the heaviest hitting in the game currently does 357 normal and 364 lightning. Black Knight greatsword does 307 at +5 with some scaling. +5 Lightning claymore does 283 and 286. +5 lightning longsword does 200 224.

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

Crowbear posted:

My Lightning Zweihander +5 does 357/364

e: The Black Knight Greatsword +5 only does 307, for reference.

If you dont have the str for that, lightning halberd +10 is 300/300.
Well its 305 or something cant reacall.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Heavy neutrino posted:

It's actually quite easy because there's a massive shortcut that skips 95% of the level.

Note: DO NOT DO THIS if you do not have the Lordvessel yet. If you do use that shortcut, you'll need to use a Homeward Bone or die to get out, and if you use any bonfires down there, you're hosed.

Easiest ways to get through it is to have a really nasty weapon that can quickly kill the skeletons (then just charge down the necromancers so that the skeletons can't get back up) or go through with a weapon with the divine property, which killing blows from a divine weapon will prevent the skeletons from getting back up.

If you started with the Master Key, you can get Astora's Straight Sword really freaking easy at the beginning of the game. Requires 14 faith I think, but is a fairly strong divine weapon with the Long Sword attack set.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
More specific damage number were added making me redundant

But the Black Knight Axe/Greatsword are really good weapons for their categories, and are some of the few weapons that can compete with elemental upgrades in damage, so keep using them if you think they're cool!

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 21, 2011

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
How do I make the bridge dragon come back? He appears to have vanished without a trace. No, I didn't kill him or cause him to die.

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

Elysiume posted:

How do I make the bridge dragon come back? He appears to have vanished without a trace. No, I didn't kill him or cause him to die.

He seems to spawn if you come at him from the taurus boss bridge.
Apparently its supposed to be possible to kill him with arrows from the tower behind him with the black knight, but I've never been able to get him to stay in place till I got there.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

bat duck posted:

He seems to spawn if you come at him from the taurus boss bridge.
Apparently its supposed to be possible to kill him with arrows from the tower behind him with the black knight, but I've never been able to get him to stay in place till I got there.
That's what I'm trying to do, but he won't cooperate. :saddowns:

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Heavy neutrino posted:

:stare:

I'm also have fun with my dexterous sorcerer! The Estoc isn't too bad if you put some upgrades into it.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Elysiume posted:

Try warping to the sunlit altar and running to the bridge, this got him to spawn once for me after he had ran off.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Elysiume posted:

Do you have 10,000 souls that are unaccounted for?

Because on my second character the dragon just killed himself when I was nowhere near him.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Who wants to help me kill the Capra demon?

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Mordiceius posted:

Who wants to help me kill the Capra demon?

I'll do it, near SL18? PS3?

Edit: If so, add me on PSN. Same name as here.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

Elysiume posted:

For me it always works to go down through havel's tower and rest at the bonfire in darkroot basin right next to the elevator to the valley of the drakes, then come back up and run across the bridge and then down underneath as usual. I don't know why this works but 3 of the 3 times I've tried it it has, I think using a bonfire outside the burg and parish messes up the dragon somehow.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

So I killed The Depths boss then was making my way back to the blacksmith above darkroot basin and I wasn't paying attention and died twice.

Welp, there goes 35k souls.

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

Elysiume posted:

Looking at the RTA now, looks like fighting him on the bridge is just as good.
Around 7:35 http://www.youtube.com/user/sansviedotcom#p/u/26/Z6yLAvTT1ic

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Kevlar Beard posted:

So I killed The Depths boss then was making my way back to the blacksmith above darkroot basin and I wasn't paying attention and died twice.

Welp, there goes 35k souls.

Try not to sweat losing souls, you can farm them in some areas pretty easily.

Edit: I once lost like 50k I think, and another time lost 41 humanity. Happens in this game, can't let it get to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

waspinator posted:

Still looking for more armor/sub-weapon suggestions for my belmont run -- i'm mainly using wanderer's armor with throwing knives and firebombs(holy water), and the whip of course!

If you have the notched whip, use it. It'll make your damage slightly less pathetic, because it's both more effective against armored targets and it causes bleed. Not to say you'll be killing anything, but it'll be better than the divine whip.

Maybe go with Homing soulmass/homing crystal soulmass or something for a HYDRO STORM analogue?

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 21, 2011

• Locked thread