Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Harlock posted:

If you play the game in super slo-mo you might get 15 hours out of it, otherwise I'm not seeing it. That's quite a gross overstatement.

It's about 3-6 (at most).

5 hours to 15 if you play through it once or twice trying to get the achievements. You didn't notice that I wrote "5-15"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

HEVampersand posted:

The reason I posted the $9.99 pricing error for The Missing Link is because I figured there were some goons that felt the same way I did about the official price of $14.99 that was announced. I've been burned by too many packs of add-on content. My impressions of the DLC was that it included 3-6 hours of additional gameplay...

Yeah, I really appreciate it by the way. DX:HR is one of my favorite games this generation but I really couldn't bring myself to drop $15 on a DLC like that. For $15 you could buy some actual full-length PSN games.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Aphrodite posted:

Literally all of those industries have ways to fight secondhand sales, except probably clothes. Even textbooks (Turns out thousands of years old math really doesn't need a new edition every couple of years.)

The argument that gets used a lot about Project 10 Dollar style DLC is "Why does the game industry think it's so special?" Well, for one because it is. Games only work on a specific device. That is a significant amount of control other industries do not have. Through that, they found a way to fight the secondhand market others do not have access to.

You don't have to like it, I don't, but don't say dumb things. Games and books are not comparable.

Those other industries aren't choosing not to Project 10 Dollar you out of the good of their hearts, they just haven't found how to do it yet.

You tell me not to say dumb things but your entire argument is loving retarded. Secondhand markets are a reality of capitalism. They don't have to like it, but they should have to put up with it.

Seriously, tell me why you think it's OK to buy those other things used and expect a full, working product but it's not OK to have the same expectation of games.

...! fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 20, 2011

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

...! posted:

You tell me not to say dumb things but your entire argument is loving retarded. Secondhand markets are a reality of capitalism. They don't have to like it, but they should have to put up with it.

Seriously, tell me why you think it's OK to buy those other things used and expect a full, working product but it's not OK to have the same expectation of games.

Don't argue with Aphrodite. He defends the $10 poo poo for EA sports games because they said its for added features even though they literally took features away every year after starting that poo poo.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
My god. Suppose goons will be goons. But let's be civil, ladies and gents. Please.

Can we not all just get along and find some common ground to agree on? How about this: regardless of your stance on Project $10 as a business model, and ignoring how digital distribution will most likely reshape the entire marketplace within the next five years (certainly by the end of the decade), I hope we can all agree that for consumers looking to maxImize the value on their short-term investment this poo poo sucks nuts.

End backseat modding.

edit: well I guess it was just Aphrodite and ellipsis exclamation arguing really, and Aphrodite was wrong so I was not needed :/

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 20, 2011

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, I really appreciate it by the way. DX:HR is one of my favorite games this generation but I really couldn't bring myself to drop $15 on a DLC like that. For $15 you could buy some actual full-length PSN games.

Or Undead Nightmare, or one of many DLCs for other great games that are not running you $5 an hour to play.

And don't forget, Black Friday and Cyber Monday are right around the corner, promising even more deals to use your $15 on. There's no compelling reason to pay that much unless you are DYING to play out what happens on that boat.

I'm not going to buy it and I'm going to imagine that the dude was asleep the whole time. Problem solved.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

...! posted:

It wasn't supposed to be an argument, I wasn't disagreeing wirh you.

There are many valid arguments against Project 10 Dollar, but "Everyone else deals with it so they should too" isn't one of them. Everyone else deals with it because they have no other choice. That's it. The entire reason. There's no rule in the Big Book of Capitalism that says a secondhand market must exist and that you musn't fight it. None of those other industries like secondhand markets much either, and any one would Project 10 Dollar you in a second if they could, with many trying their best. DVDs and CDs come with single use digital copies, new cars have OnStar or Sirius subscriptions thrown in or non-transferrable service plans, textbooks come with one-time use registration for online stuff etc.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
So, Rocketbirds on PSN. Did anyone buy the full version?

I was super hyped for it, but after trying the demo, it seems... well, bad. The music is excellent and the art's pretty boss (which made for great trailers), but the actual mechanics appear to be complete rear end. It controls awkwardly, every single level appears to be "go from left to right and hold down the trigger," and even the shooting feels limp and relatively crappy. They throw down a few colored keys to doors, I guess to break it up, yet those keys are never even remotely hidden and you usually just stumble across them as you're running from left to right holding down the fire button. Then you find a rocketpack, with similarly poo poo controls and dull gameplay.

Kinda curious if it gets any better, or if this is... it?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Similar to Shank I feel like Rocketbirds is one of those games with nice art and awesome animation but falls way short on gameplay.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

whip posted:

I know Stranglehold is an old game but so awesome[/random]

Christ, time really does fly when I read comments like this, seems only yesterday I had unboxed my first console (N64) and now people are calling PS3 games 'old'

Anyone played Skylanders, btw? A friend reccommended it to me though I hear it's quite expensive thanks to all the portal/figurine crap that comes with it

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

Polite Tim posted:

Christ, time really does fly when I read comments like this, seems only yesterday I had unboxed my first console (N64) and now people are calling PS3 games 'old'

Anyone played Skylanders, btw? A friend reccommended it to me though I hear it's quite expensive thanks to all the portal/figurine crap that comes with it

You just said your first console was an N64.

:(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was looking at some of the first Xbox 360 games, and it's crazy how far along this generation has come. Some of the first 360 and PS3 games look very outdated and have not aged well, even though they are only 5 - 6 years old now.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

gameday posted:

... fuuuuuucck. Yeah, now i feel old.

Seconding the Strangehold love, in any case. The end boss made me want to pitch a controller through my TV, but the game was on a whole really, really fun. I assume you can get it these days for $2 and some pocket lint, so it's very much worth picking up if you're otherwise bored. Using tequila time to aimed-shot people in various body parts including but not limited to the groin never, ever, got old. Tons of awesome animation variations there.

It's been ages now, but I... think?... the PS3 version was indeed the copy to get. You got the Blueray movie, and I want to say the 360 version just ran like rear end in general. But maybe that was one of the early titles where the 360 version looked better or something, god only knows at this point.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

gameday posted:

Now, don't immediately jump to the conclusion that that means he was six years old in 1995 or whatever, he could have started console gaming later in life, like I kinda did.

I only REALLY started being a console game player with the Dreamcast.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Shalinor posted:

... fuuuuuucck. Yeah, now i feel old.

Seconding the Strangehold love, in any case. The end boss made me want to pitch a controller through my TV, but the game was on a whole really, really fun. I assume you can get it these days for $2 and some pocket lint, so it's very much worth picking up if you're otherwise bored. Using tequila time to aimed-shot people in various body parts including but not limited to the groin never, ever, got old. Tons of awesome animation variations there.

It's been ages now, but I... think?... the PS3 version was indeed the copy to get. You got the Blueray movie, and I want to say the 360 version just ran like rear end in general. But maybe that was one of the early titles where the 360 version looked better or something, god only knows at this point.

Wait, you could do non-groin aimed shots in Stranglehold? What's the point of that?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

Wait, you could do non-groin aimed shots in Stranglehold? What's the point of that?
If you shoot them in the ears, they make funny faces and do slowmo grabs for where you shot them.

Also, you should shoot them in the hand to disarm them, THEN shoot them in the groin! Or at least I think you could. My only clear memories of that game are diving like a maniac onto serving carts, the 80's apartment with the glass block walls and the lasers, and the big fragile boat with the big fragile dragon and the big fragile jazz quartet in the basement.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Shalinor posted:

If you shoot them in the ears, they make funny faces and do slowmo grabs for where you shot them.

Also, you should shoot them in the hand to disarm them, THEN shoot them in the groin! Or at least I think you could. My only clear memories of that game are diving like a maniac onto serving carts, the 80's apartment with the glass block walls and the lasers, and the big fragile boat with the big fragile dragon and the big fragile jazz quartet in the basement.

God damnit, now I want to go buy it again, thanks for that.

foastwab
Sep 1, 2009

by XyloJW
Guys, help me out.

I have enough money budgeted to get one game this month, and I'm having the hardest time deciding between Arkham City and Dark Souls. I know what I'd be getting from both of them, and I plan on playing them both eventually. Anyone have biased opinions that could maybe convince me either way?

Also, I'll probably trade whichever one I get in towards Skyrim, so I can kill some dragons. :woop:

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

foastwab posted:

Guys, help me out.

I have enough money budgeted to get one game this month, and I'm having the hardest time deciding between Arkham City and Dark Souls. I know what I'd be getting from both of them, and I plan on playing them both eventually. Anyone have biased opinions that could maybe convince me either way?

Also, I'll probably trade whichever one I get in towards Skyrim, so I can kill some dragons. :woop:

Do you hate yourself? If so get Dark Souls. If you're looking for a severely challenging yet rewarding experience that has great longevity it's a better buy but it is but no means a game for everyone. I'm not nearly masochistic or patient enough to enjoy it.

What are your thoughts on Batman? If you're a fan Arkham City is loaded with fan-service. It is a nearly identical experience, gameplay-wise to AA but I'm totally fine with that since it was my GOTY of 2009. I love me some Batman and while the game is pretty easy it puts a smile on my face.

So what do you want out of your next game?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
If you want to trade it in, get Batman. Unless achievements mean anything to you, you'd probably be fine playing that to completion and to satiation.

If you've never played Demon's Souls, you might want to get Dark Souls first to see if it's the sort of thing you're into. If you do know what you're getting into, that game will not only take a while, but the online aspect and different builds are probably worth keeping it around. (If it's the first circumstance, you could trade it in for a more forgiving fantasy world ;p)

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

foastwab posted:

Guys, help me out.

I assume you've played Demon's Souls if you know what you're getting into with Dark Souls. I don't know what the average playtime is for Arkham City, but I can tell you that you'll probably have beaten that a couple times over by the time you get even halfway through Dark Souls.

On the other hand, if you plan on getting rid of whatever game you choose to get Skyrim later, a shorter game might be the better choice. Kind of depends on your playing habits though.

EDIT:

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

If you've never played Demon's Souls, you might want to get Dark Souls first to see if it's the sort of thing you're into. If you do know what you're getting into, that game will not only take a while, but the online aspect and different builds are probably worth keeping it around. (If it's the first circumstance, you could trade it in for a more forgiving fantasy world ;p)

Given how dirt cheap Demon's Souls is nowadays, if you haven't played either game I'd suggest Demon's Souls. If you don't like Demon's Souls, you probably won't like Dark Souls unless Metroidvania aspects to games make them rank significantly higher just based on that. If you don't like Demon's Souls, you're out about $10 or whatever it's running for used now. If you don't like Dark Souls, have fun scraping back as much of that $60 as you just wasted.

sentrygun fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 21, 2011

foastwab
Sep 1, 2009

by XyloJW

sentrygun posted:

On the other hand, if you plan on getting rid of whatever game you choose to get Skyrim later, a shorter game might be the better choice. Kind of depends on your playing habits though.

I thought about this, and it's making me lean towards Batman. I'm sure I'll have enough time to finish Arkham City before Skyrim comes out, especially now that midterms are over, but with Dark Souls being a lengthy game, that'll be good for Christmas break.

Thanks for the input, guys!

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

foastwab posted:

Guys, help me out.

Having played both I would get Dark Souls. Dark Soul's has hands-down the best atmosphere I've ever encountered in a game. This is largely due to the fact that they've created a fantastic fictional world that features some incredibly inspired areas, lore, and monster design. I was constantly floored by the atmosphere every time I got to a new area in the game, and seeing how each location connected to the other to make a very realistic world in a spatial sense was amazing. It also has very little overt narrative and instead makes you piece together the (awesome) story by drawing inferences from clues in the environment, item descriptions, and monsters, in a way that makes the world they've create feel even more organic.

I can't really say anything more other than it feels like a lot of effort and energy went into crafting Dark Souls and I'm not really sure you'll find another game experience quite like it anywhere else. Personally I can't really see anything else challenging it for GOTY at this point for me, and I'm saying that as a huge Uncharted, Batman, Battlefield, and Assassin's Creed fan with all four of those games having sequels out or right around the corner.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Is it just me, or is the multiplayer matchmaking in Payday: The Heist really... suspect? I have about a 50/50 shot of getting something to show up on the "play with anyone" server list, and almost always it's just one game. After that, they have either been game lobbies that are 3/4 and full when I try to join or lobbies where the host is apparently taking a nap and the game never starts. I really want to play with some real people so my useless as gently caress team can help me with anything aside from occasionally killing a cop.

:sigh:

PSN: Shaftwaxer

Edited to mention which game I was talking about...

bagina fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 21, 2011

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Cartoon Man posted:

Depending on your preferable method of gameplay (stealth vs guns), probably 20-30.

Stealth all the way, baby. :c00l:

That's not bad.

It'll probably be about 50 for me, because of the sheer amount of time I've spent just staring at scenery and going "oh my god this is gorgeous"

Hong Kong was my favorite spot in DX1; China and the areas around the Pods where you find the hacker's apartment in DX:HR makes it look like a level out of Wolf3D. Holy poo poo. The club looks amazing, and subtle details like just looking at the sheer amount of stuff in peoples' homes and offices... just... wow.

GOTY 2011.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

As someone who has played both I'd go with Dark Souls, although Batman is also a great game.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
I must be lame as hell but I'm really excited for MW3
Just downloaded OKABU

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
When I play Batman I pretend I am entering super villians' games in Dark Souls and killing them over and over again.

Arkham City is just a joy to play if you have any interest in Batman. It's so dense with detail you will play it for an hour and feel like you read 5 comic books while watching a episode of the 90s cartoon. Not finished with it yet and it has already surpassed Portal 2 as my favorite game so far this year, and Portal 2 is still fresh in my mind.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

whip posted:

I guess I'm pretty lame too. I picked up Black Ops last year as my first Call of Duty game, and had a surprising amount of fun with it. The smaller maps and frantic pace reminded me positively of GoldenEye, actually. (You can tell I don't play a lot of multiplayer FPS.) I found it was the perfect game to throw in and play for a half hour before I went to work, because a.) there are so many people playing it was always super easy to find matches in almost all game types and b.) the matches are short enough you could play a few in that time. I'm guessing that playing on PS3 also helped because noone has headsets to spew immature bile at me, and the overall level of play I've heard is not as savage as on the 360. I found playing BF:BC2 to be a much slower paced, methodical, team-oriented experience -- which is also cool, but not as suited to that early morning half hour.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

whip posted:

Just downloaded OKABU

I haven't tried it out single-player, but OKABU is so much fun as a co-op game. My friend and i kinda have different methods towards playing games, but this one is pretty easy for us to get along on.

Also, we managed to find a way to break the game to give us infinite water within the first 5 minutes, and also found a palce in the first level where we fell through the level geometry. We thought we found a secret path or somehting.:(

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

ChetReckless posted:

I guess I'm pretty lame too. I picked up Black Ops last year as my first Call of Duty game, and had a surprising amount of fun with it. The smaller maps and frantic pace reminded me positively of GoldenEye, actually. (You can tell I don't play a lot of multiplayer FPS.) I found it was the perfect game to throw in and play for a half hour before I went to work, because a.) there are so many people playing it was always super easy to find matches in almost all game types and b.) the matches are short enough you could play a few in that time. I'm guessing that playing on PS3 also helped because noone has headsets to spew immature bile at me, and the overall level of play I've heard is not as savage as on the 360. I found playing BF:BC2 to be a much slower paced, methodical, team-oriented experience -- which is also cool, but not as suited to that early morning half hour.

That's what great about the CoD series, but that's nothing new since MW. The story got dumber and the multiplayer maps got bigger. The year after year iterations on the same formula is main jut in folks' craw.

Not that that matters, it's still going to sell billions.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
If you're just getting into CoD I can see how you might have some fun with it. If you enjoyed CoD4 when it came out and are now stuck in a loop of buying the next game and it being the same poo poo over and over like I was up through Black Ops, you get tired of it and start to hate it.

Pretty much the only thing I'll keep buying with the same general formula over and over is Disgaea, but that's my own problem. :v:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

sentrygun posted:

Pretty much the only thing I'll keep buying with the same general formula over and over is Disgaea, but that's my own problem. :v:
I, too, was once like you. Disgaea 3 totally derailed me from that train.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I've heard that CoD has become very same-y with each new release, which is one reason why I don't know if I'll pick it up this time around. There are going to be too many cool games this fall/winter to buy the same game as last year. I'm kinda hoping that Uncharted 3's multiplayer may scratch that itch instead. (I realize that U3's multiplayer isn't drastically different from U2's either, but U3 will also likely have a mind-blowing single player, and that tips the balances.)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Does anyone know yet what bullshit superhuman enemy the end of Uncharted 3 will have? zombies -> crazy magic mountain people -> ?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Whirling dervishes, obviously.

Crocodylus Pontifex
Jul 26, 2007
The Space Pope!
So uh, Gametrailers has a developer walkthrough of Infamous 2: Festival of blood. Looks like it will be pretty good.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/nycc-11-infamous-festival/722794 part 1.
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/nycc-11-infamous-festival/722796 part 2.
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/nycc-11-infamous-festival/722798 part 3.

Also, spoiler warning. Don't watch if you don't want to have a few things spoiled.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Samurai Sanders posted:

Does anyone know yet what bullshit superhuman enemy the end of Uncharted 3 will have? zombies -> crazy magic mountain people -> ?

I think the next jump is something from space.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was hoping for magic robots myself. Or golems or whatever you want to call them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I was hoping for magic robots myself. Or golems or whatever you want to call them.
Golems seem like a possibility. Cursed golems.

Where does most of the game take place? It's kind of a myth related to that area, isn't it?

• Locked thread