Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
And add a little beef or lamb stock at the end and cook down to glaze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
Butter poached white asparagus suspended in a calves liver pate. Good idea?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Thanks for the chicken breast ideas. I also tried to brainstorm things that I didn't mind chicken breast in, and came up with: Grilled chicken breast, especially in a sweet marinade. Fajitas. Pretend Carl's Jr BBQ chicken sandwiches. Meat candy from this GWS wiki page: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Fried_Rice_by_Mdxi (that was literally the first thing I ever made in a kitchen as an adult. Baby's first recipe, awww.)

I really want to make the McDonald's chicken nuggets but at the same time I'm pretty sure I'd puke if I put chicken in a blender. This is extra dumb because the idea of blending other meat-type things (like liver, mmmmmmm) isn't nearly as disgusting to me.

Also, I don't see how the saturated fat/coconut milk is a derail in a thread for general info. I appreciate understanding why it's so awesome, and have concluded that I will not have coconut milk every day but someday I sure am going to drink one of those half-cup cans by itself and freakin' love it. My father's family is prone to Alzheimer's so let's just call it preventive maintenance. :colbert:

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

Experto Crede posted:

Hey guys,

I'm making cottage pie tonight, but want to stop the potato sinking in to it. I'm going to be making the gravy thicker, but can someone give some tips on how to do the potatoes and putting it on top to stop it happening? Cheers.

This used to happen to me all the time. Here's a trick I learned from some fancy magazine:

Take a single egg, and separate yolk from white. Keep both.

Put the white in a huge bowl and whisk it into foam. Not too stiff, but no liquid white left.

When you finish your mash (use more cream than if you were making normal mash) - you FOLD the foamed white into the mixture. That involves throwing a big spoonful of it on top and very gently mixing it in with an over-under figure of 8 kind of motion. It's not that important how you do it - just don't use vigorous circular stirring or you'll lose all the fluffiness.

You'll find that this not only stops the potato from sinking, it greatly increases the volume of mash you can get, so you don't need 15 potatoes to cover a medium sized pie anymore. You can use the egg yolk to brush the top of the pie so it goes crispy and brown, that's if you don't use cheese.

The cooked texture is a little different from normal - the egg white makes it set, so it's a little stiffer than usual, but its also lighter and fluffier. I do this for all my shepherds pies now and never looked back.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Barnum posted:

Butter poached white asparagus suspended in a calves liver pate. Good idea?

Kind of a waste. Nothing that will go wrong, it's just that the asparagus is so much better on its own. And the liver pâté will drown out the asparagus. I'd go for some strips of boiled ham myself if you want something to liven up the grayness.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I put a few shakes of Worcestershire in my sauteed mushrooms. Olive oil, salt, pepper, Worcestershire, sometimes a little mustard, bourbon and cumin.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

The standard white bell mushrooms in the store are way too firm to snap-fry, and have rather little flavour. One way I've found to "revive" them that always works, is to dry-roast them in quarters in a hot pan for a few minutes until deep brown patches appear. This dries them out a bit, concentrating the flavour and deepening it. When all are done roasting, I give them a final quick fry in hot butter with black pepper and salt. Sometimes I'll toss a smashed clove of garlic in there to lend a little flavour as well, I take it out when they're done. They taste mighty good for cheap supermarket button mushrooms.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I want to roast a duck tonight but I don't believe I can fit an entire duck inside my toaster oven. How should I modify the technique if I cut the duck in half lengthwise? I'm concerned about crispy skin and the fat, the meat should take care of itself. Would just chopping in half and putting it on the rack skin up, body cavity down, and roasting for the same amount of time as a whole one work? Less time?

Edit: And before the question, toaster oven's all I got. Real ovens in this country are expensive as gently caress.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 21, 2011

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
That's fine, and will cook faster, too, which will make the skin less crispy. If you're having trouble fitting the halves in, you can quarter the chicken at the hip joint for smaller pieces.

OCCUPY GWS

BREAK THE MOD HEGEMONY

smiph
Jul 30, 2005

Jagshemas!
Anyone got any good recipes for dishes with Quinoa? Heard that this is gluten free and good substitute for loads of stuff like pasta etc. Do you guys like it?

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
Hmmm, Quinoa, isn't that the seed of the Amaranthus?

OCCUPY GWS

BREAK THE MOD HEGEMONY

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Grand Fromage posted:

I want to roast a duck tonight but I don't believe I can fit an entire duck inside my toaster oven. How should I modify the technique if I cut the duck in half lengthwise? I'm concerned about crispy skin and the fat, the meat should take care of itself. Would just chopping in half and putting it on the rack skin up, body cavity down, and roasting for the same amount of time as a whole one work? Less time?

Edit: And before the question, toaster oven's all I got. Real ovens in this country are expensive as gently caress.

Heh, I've done that (a whole duck in a toaster oven).

It would depend on the temperature, but I find that when the skin is crispy enough, the meat has started to go too dry (I did mine at 350).
Cooking a duck might work better with a higher temp, though if you cook at 400 or higher, you risk smoking out your home.
Either way, investing in an instant read thermometer is highly recommended.

What's the goon opinion on El Jimador tequila, either silver, or reposado?
It's the cheapest 100% agave tequila where I am, and due to our state controlled liquor prices, 3-5 bucks cheaper than all the famous mixto brands (Cuervo, Sauza, Olmeca, etc.).

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Oct 21, 2011

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mister Macys posted:

Heh, I've done that (a whole duck in a toaster oven).

It would depend on the temperature, but I find that when the skin is crispy enough, the meat has started to go too dry (I did mine at 350).
Cooking a duck might work better with a higher temp, though if you cook at 400 or higher, you risk smoking out your home.
Either way, investing in an instant read thermometer is highly recommended.

I got a duck that fits into the oven whole, it's popping away as we speak. I'm cooking at 425, I think... there's no temperature between 180 and 230 C on the knob so I got somewhere closer to 230.

I can seal my kitchenette and turn on the exhaust fan if it smokes too much. We shall see how this turns out! First time I've really cooked something like this in a toaster oven. Cleaning it is going to be a loving nightmare but none of the restaurants here do duck right, it's all smoked overcooked poo poo with rubber skin and fat.

Worst case scenario, I got something to make duck stock with.

Edit: Success!

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Oct 21, 2011

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

The Macaroni posted:

Split peas, eh? Yellow or green? I'll have to try this. My half-Sudanese wife insists there should be fava beans in felafels, but I'm having the damndest time finding any out in my area.

Yellow. I can't stand the taste of green. To be perfectly honest, I think you'd even be OK with a bit of tuvar daal or summat. It's pretty hard to eff up.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

CuddleChunks posted:

Mushrooms and onions are BFF's and should never be separated.
Dunno, I feel like onions are the dependable but relatively uninteresting workhorse compared to the sexy racecar driver that is garlic. (When it comes to mushroom.) Or garlic's cousin shallot, who's an action film star. But onions will do.

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 21, 2011

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

smiph posted:

Anyone got any good recipes for dishes with Quinoa? Heard that this is gluten free and good substitute for loads of stuff like pasta etc. Do you guys like it?

It's wicked good, as long as you treat it right. For one thing, wash the hell out of it. It's got this coating that makes it taste all bitter and crap. Wash it very well, and you're doing a couple of things: (1) removing any latent cross-contamination gluten, and (2) making it not taste awful. Don't skip the washing step. Wash it vigorously. They're tiny little grains, and won't be hurt by your rubbing them between your palms in the water.

Boil it in rapidly boiling water (enough like you'd use for pasta; so like a gallon or so), with a few hits of salt in. Set the timer for 10 minutes, and prep your other ingredients. For about 1 cup of quinoa (which will cook up to like 3 cups), you'll want:

2 pinches saffron, bloomed in a little hot water
1 cup of the smallest frozen or fresh (NOT tinned or dry) green peas you can find, thawed
1/4 cup golden raisins (optional)
1 cup cashews, lightly toasted
1 TB oil (NOT OLIVE; any neutral flavoured oil will do)
1/2 tsp cumin seed
1/2 tsp fennel seed
3 cloves
1 cardamom pod
1 small piece cinnamon or cassia bark
1 large spanish onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cm ginger, grated finely

When the quinoa is cooked through, drain it and rinse it off thoroughly. This will make the excess starch wash off, and you'll end up with light and fluffy quinoa. Drain off the water, and set it aside. In a large skillet, heat the oil over high heat. Throw in the cumin and fennel seed, and wait for them to smell very fragrant, and pop a little. Add hte cloves, cardamom pod, cinnamon, and sautee in the fat for about 20 seconds or so. The spices will turn a darker brown. Add in the garlic, and cook for about 30 seconds, then immediately add the onion, before the garlic has a chance to burn. Once the onions are softened, add the ginger, peas, raisins, and cashews, and toss everything to coat in the spices and fat.

Turn off the heat, and sprinkle the spice/nuts blend over the drained quinoa. Sprinkle on the saffron water, and toss to coat completely. It is OK if everything is not homogenously coloured. Taste for salt, and adjust as needed.

The spices are so fragrant that I've been told by women that they'd like to wear it as a perfume. It's very heady and aromatic. If you don't care for sweet and savoury, just skip the raisins. You'll be fine without. If you don't have all those spices, skip the whole spices, and sprinkle in a bit of either Chinese 5 Spice, or Garam Masala when you add in the peas and cashews. It won't be quite as fragrant, but you'll get there. If you don't have/want to buy saffron, use a few big pinches of turmeric when you cook the onion. It won't smell nearly the same, but the colour will be a beautiful golden orange. It's got its own lovely smell.

If you're looking for something a little less involved, you can always combine the quinoa with finely chopped raw or roasted or sauteed bell peppers, raw or sauteed onions, a bit of fresh garlic, olive oil, thyme, basil, and as much lemon juice as you can take. For some reason, quinoa and lemon juice get along famously. Feel free to add any other veg you like.

Overall, as long as you add a bit of acid to cold quinoa dishes, and add a fair few spices to hot quinoa dishes, along with adding textural contrasts to both of them, you'll enjoy the grain quite a lot.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Edit: Success!

Looks good but you saved the fat right? Right??

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

yes posted:

Looks good but you saved the fat right? Right??

It all escaped. :smith: The ghetto aluminum foil drip tray failed miserably and made the biggest goddamn mess ever. But in cleaning I discovered how to remove the bottom of the oven so next time I should be able to engineer something better. And god. drat. that duck was good, I will be doing this again.

I do have several big hunks of fat and skin I cut off it before I baked. Fried skin and duck stock tomorrow!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

The Macaroni posted:

Dunno, I feel like onions are the dependable but relatively uninteresting workhorse compared to the sexy racecar driver that is garlic. (When it comes to mushroom.) Or garlic's cousin shallot, who's an action film star. But onions will do.

:ughh:

Clearly you didn't read my recipe guide - 1 pound of onions per mushroom. A stick of butter should be sufficient to get things going.

In all seriousness the sweetness of sauteed onions that have a big pile of mushrooms mixed in is just so drat tasty. A little bit of garlic is nice but I think I end up going with salt and pepper and nothing else most of the time. This is for adding to steaks and omelettes and other things that are asking for "mushrooms and onions" rather than doing something to show off the mushroom itself. We only get white and crimini mushrooms at the store at any kind of reasonable price so those are the ones I'm used to working with.

My dad loves mushrooms of all kinds and recommends very light butter sauteeing for morels since they'll stand up on their own and I think that's an appropriate treatment for several other wild species of mushroom. I'm jealous when I watch cooking shows and they drop a big bag of Mystery Mushroom Not Seen in Idaho on the counter and start chit-chatting while chopping them up. Oh Mr. Pepin, I don't know what the hell you're making but I'm just gonna watch you chop things for a while. :swoon:

yes
Aug 26, 2004

The Macaroni posted:

Dunno, I feel like onions are the dependable but relatively uninteresting workhorse compared to the sexy racecar driver that is garlic.

not correct

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

The Macaroni posted:

Stop buying toyotonions then and step it up!

yes posted:

not correct

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Oh I love onions in general, I just think mushrooms are best served by garlic, then onions. They are least served by cherry syrup and rasbperry coulis.

OK, derail over. I'm going to go make some sauteed mushrooms.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Grand Fromage that duck looks loving fantastic. How long did you cook it for?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
"Hey mushrooms, do you miss onion?"
"Naw, we're all good here! But we'd like to play with our friend parsley next time."
_____/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

yes
Aug 26, 2004

The Macaroni posted:

"Hey mushrooms, do you miss onion?"
"Naw, we're all good here! But we'd like to play with our friend parsley next time."
_____/

don't forget to invite Maillard too

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I'm in the super weird club today, it seems. I don't like my mushrooms browned. (I guess I'm always in the weird club, it's just really pronounced today.)

In other news: anybody making anything silly for Halloween?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Gerblyn posted:

If you're potatoes are sinking into the sauce, then either your gravy is too thin or you have too much gravy for the amount of meat and vegetables. Also try not to add too much potato at once, spoon it in in lumps about 1/2 the size of a tennis ball. Use a palette knife or spatula to spread it evenly, then use a fork to make little ridges over it. You may also want to brush a little milk over the top to help it brown, but it's not really necessary.

For the mash itself:

800g medium potatoes, peeled and quartered

Simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until soft. Then put them in a bowl, add 40g of cubed butter, some salt (optional) and a couple of splashes of milk, then mash it until there are no more lumps.

Thanks to you, I have made my first truly successful cottage pie. Thank you :v:

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Fagtastic posted:

This used to happen to me all the time. Here's a trick I learned from some fancy magazine:

Take a single egg, and separate yolk from white. Keep both.

Put the white in a huge bowl and whisk it into foam. Not too stiff, but no liquid white left.

When you finish your mash (use more cream than if you were making normal mash) - you FOLD the foamed white into the mixture. That involves throwing a big spoonful of it on top and very gently mixing it in with an over-under figure of 8 kind of motion. It's not that important how you do it - just don't use vigorous circular stirring or you'll lose all the fluffiness.

You'll find that this not only stops the potato from sinking, it greatly increases the volume of mash you can get, so you don't need 15 potatoes to cover a medium sized pie anymore. You can use the egg yolk to brush the top of the pie so it goes crispy and brown, that's if you don't use cheese.

The cooked texture is a little different from normal - the egg white makes it set, so it's a little stiffer than usual, but its also lighter and fluffier. I do this for all my shepherds pies now and never looked back.

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier, but I'll definitely try that next time :)

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

The Macaroni posted:

I'm in the super weird club today, it seems. I don't like my mushrooms browned. (I guess I'm always in the weird club, it's just really pronounced today.)

In other news: anybody making anything silly for Halloween?

I kind of want to fill a pumpkin with vanilla custard, add some pumpkin pie spices and bake it, but I'm not sure how well the cooking times for pumpkin and custard will match.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I swear CasuMarzu just did something like that, but I can't find the post.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

fatherdog posted:

I kind of want to fill a pumpkin with vanilla custard, add some pumpkin pie spices and bake it, but I'm not sure how well the cooking times for pumpkin and custard will match.

Usually a custard pie takes around 30 minutes. I'd definitely recommend parcooking the pumpkin in the oven for 15 or 20 before adding the custard. This is a good idea. Just find a nice flat-bottomed pumpkin and cut the top 2/3 off to make an edible pie tin :)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

fatherdog posted:

Are you planning on eating the pumpkin as well as the custard? If so, you may need to par cook the pumpkin first. OTOH, I beleive that if you cook the pumpkin to the point where it would be considered "done", it may not be structurally sound enough to contain the custard. I thought that using a pumpkin as a bowl meant doing so raw.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I wouldn't mind eating the pumpkin as well, but mainly I just wanted to cook it enough that some of the flavor would infuse into the custard. The structurally sound issue is likely, I had planned to put it in an oven-safe dish or something while it cooked and while serving.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The Macaroni posted:

I swear CasuMarzu just did something like that, but I can't find the post.

I've done quite a few extraordinary things. I've done pumpkins. I've done vanilla custards. I can't lay claim to combining both, through.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

fatherdog posted:

I wouldn't mind eating the pumpkin as well, but mainly I just wanted to cook it enough that some of the flavor would infuse into the custard. The structurally sound issue is likely, I had planned to put it in an oven-safe dish or something while it cooked and while serving.

If it were me, I would roast the pumpkin and then just make a stove-top custard, pour it into the pumpkin and then chill it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Psychobabble posted:

If it were me, I would roast the pumpkin and then just make a stove-top custard, pour it into the pumpkin and then chill it.

^^^^

Especially because you can just add a wee bit of the roasted pumpkin and puree it into your custard to get the same effect you wanted.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Speaking of all of these pumpkin questions--if I'm making a pumpkin pie, is there a temperature I can go for to know it's set, or do I have to stick with the "wiggle it and poke a knife in it" method? Am I just shooting for the ~160* temp to make the eggs done?

Nebula
Dec 30, 2004

you ate my cat posted:

Speaking of all of these pumpkin questions--if I'm making a pumpkin pie, is there a temperature I can go for to know it's set, or do I have to stick with the "wiggle it and poke a knife in it" method? Am I just shooting for the ~160* temp to make the eggs done?

175°F - 180°F has worked for me in the past.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

What the hell should I do with the big fat ham thing? It's soaking in pineapple chunks and juice now.

Just bake it in the oven? 350 for an hour? I have no idea.

The Fuzzy Hulk fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
I'm making dinner for a weekly friend-gettogether tomorrow. I'm thinking soup, but I haven't done a lot of them. Something beans. And warm homebaked bread.

I've got pinto, great northern, black eyed, black, split-peas and lentils. What am I making here?

Edit: Something that goes well with roux. I just made some and would like to try it out.

Zedlic fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 22, 2011