Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A SPECIAL UNICORN
Apr 12, 2006

REALLY FUCKING SPECIAL

A SPECIAL UNICORN fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

JBark posted:

This shouldn't be too e/n, but figured it might help someone out if they find themselves in a similar situation.

We just lost our bub yesterday at 31 weeks due to very severe pre-eclampsia that caused/happened along with severe concealed placental abruption. Basically, the blood in/around the placenta tore from the uterus and began to clot badly, but since it was concealed, my wife didn't feel any pain or experience any bleeding at all. It was also retroplacental (behind the placenta), so absolutely nothing looked abmornal on ultrasound. The only symptoms she had was a feeling of slightly less baby movement for about two days leading up to losing him, but that seemed just like a normal symptom of pre-eclampsia at first. Even her pre-eclampsia symptoms were quite mild (just slightly elevated BP and some feet swelling) for how how severe it ended up being after a multitude of blood tests confirmed it.

We stopped up to the maternity ward just to get a checkup Tues night, and lost the heartbeat on doppler about 15 minutes after we got in. Felt the baby moving right up to that time, so nobody could tell just how bad things were. Even when the OB confirmed the loss of heartbeat on ultrasound, he didn't see aything obviously wrong. Everyone thought it was something caused by the pre-EC, right up until the baby and placenta were delivered the next evening, and the extent of the damage was obvious. Even I could see how bad the placenta had been damaged, almost 100% covered by huge dark clots. We were told that there was virtually zero chance of survival from this amount of abruption, it was some relief to hear that there was nothing we could have done differently to change the outcome.

So yeah, think of this as a psuedo PSA to not worry about wasting the docs/midwives time and get checked when anything feels odd. In our case, coming in earlier wouldn't have made any difference at all, but for someone else, just a few hours could be life saving. Most abruptions aren't as bad as ours, and there's a decent chance of an emergency c-section getting the bub out before they die.

The OB/midwives/nurses here at hospital have been amazing every step of the way, I don't think I've ever been around a nicer group of people. Everyone has been super supportive, and I know it's really hard for them since they're so used to dealing with positive outcomes. I continue to be blown away by the quality of care we get here in Oz vs what I'm used to in the US.

Hopefully that wasn't too e/n, if so I hope the mods just clean it up instead of dropping the probation hammer. :)

I am so so sorry for your loss. This isn't E/N at all. I hope your wife and yourself come through this relatively okay.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Are you freaking kidding me!?
I am really sorry for your loss, JBark.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

I'm so sorry for your loss, JBark. :( I'll be thinking of your family.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
I'm so sorry JBark. Just.. wow :(

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
I'm very sorry JBark. Take care of yourselves as best you can.

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

I'm so sorry JBark. That's just horrible :(

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
So sorry, JBark. :sympathy:

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Thoughts are with you guys, so very sorry for your loss. :(

zombie duck v2.0
Apr 4, 2006

"Don't forget taking your skin off, because pink works. It's sophisticated and sexy, stands out as springs hottest color."
Note: Mods, if this is not okay, I'll take it down. Just let me know.

Hey all you parenting and soon to be parenting goons. Christmas is just around the corner, and you know what that means... YES! The OFFICIAL SA MOMS/DADS SECRET SANTA EXTRAVAGANZA 2011!

Elocin and I are going to be organizing the exchange this year, so all you guys have to do is make super fun time packages to send to fellow goons & goon babies (or kids!). Here's what we need from you:

1. Your name, and spouse if applicable.
2. Your kid(s) names.
3. Your address, so your secret santa can send you your package of goodies.
4. Things your kid(s) like. Things they don't like, size of clothing they wear, age, all that good stuff, so people know what to send. Be sure to also send information on what YOU like, because the parents are important too! Also, if it applies to you, mention if there is some kind of allergy issues, so someone doesn't send food that you or your kiddos can't eat.
5. IMPORTANT: Please let us know where you willing to ship. If you can/prefer to only ship within a certain geographical location, let us know, so we don't pair you up with someone half way across the world, if that's not what you want.

Then send all that information to me at my username @gmail.com and you are on the list. DEADLINE FOR SIGNUP IS OCTOBER 30. I will be sending the compiled list over to Elocin that day so she can pair people up, and send out the information to everybody by November 1. This should give everybody plenty of time to get things prepped and ready to go. Obviously we would like to see packages arrive before or very shortly after Christmas. It's not very Christmas-y if they arrive in February.

I will post a list of people I have on the spreadsheet on October 30 close to the end of the day to make sure I have everybody who has sent me an e-mail. Spending limit is between $20-$25. However, if you want to send a package worth more, that's your choice. Handmade items are always appreciated, so get creative if you want!

OKAY GUYS! GO, GO, GO AND LET THE CHRISTMAS CHEER (AND STRESS) BEGIN!

(x-posting this to the Parenting thread)

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
I went in for an ultrasound yesterday. And I'm laying there, freaking out, hoping that there's nothing wrong going on. The lady doing the ultrasound is talking me all the way through, telling me about how the machine worked and yada yada yada, and she's pointing at things and saying.. yeah, that's all good, this thing right here is such and such, that's all supposed to be there. Oh... there's something else in here.

You're pregnant!!

I was so happy I cried in tears. Apparently, I'm 3 months pregnant and didn't even notice. No nausea, no morning sickness, nothing. I did experience many headaches and felt extremely tired, but that's never been out of the ordinary for me. I'm so excited =)

I've been stalking this thread since we first started trying, and now I get to join in!

Kitiara fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 11, 2012

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Kitiara posted:

You're pregnant!!

Congratulations!! I bet that was a shock!

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Kitiara posted:

I was so happy I cried in tears. Apparently, I'm 3 months pregnant and didn't even notice. No nausea, no morning sickness, nothing. I did experience many headaches and felt extremely tired, but that's never been out of the ordinary for me. I'm so excited =)

Congrats! That must have been a minor heart attack to see the kid up on the monitor!

Went in for an ultrasound today to make sure everything was okay for my little kiddo (now 5 days overdue) and he got a perfect health score. And after being only 1cm for four weeks my cervix is 2cm! They scheduled me for an induction Monday night but the OB doesn't think I'll make it that long.

Work kicked me out and now I'm sitting at home, just twiddling my thumbs... fun fun. Aaaaaaaaaaaaany minute/hour/day now....

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
I'd like to thank Fire at the Disco for recommending the Lil Peepers wraps on Etsy. I just finished watching the DVD guide and I'm totally psyched to try babywearing. My kid is going through "Sleep? I don't need no stinkin' sleep!" and "Hold me, hold meeeeeeee" phases simultaneously. I think babywearing might just save my sanity.

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

Lyz posted:

Congrats! That must have been a minor heart attack to see the kid up on the monitor!

Went in for an ultrasound today to make sure everything was okay for my little kiddo (now 5 days overdue) and he got a perfect health score. And after being only 1cm for four weeks my cervix is 2cm! They scheduled me for an induction Monday night but the OB doesn't think I'll make it that long.

Work kicked me out and now I'm sitting at home, just twiddling my thumbs... fun fun. Aaaaaaaaaaaaany minute/hour/day now....

You should of course seriously consider the downsides, but I was able to induce labor with castor oil twice--the first part of your experience will be pretty awful (although it will keep you from making GBS threads yourself during labor!), but I suspect it's an easier induction overall than the hospital variety. Whatever you do, good luck!

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Lyz posted:

Why did they schedule the induction?

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Chickalicious posted:

Just guessing, but many OBs in the states won't let you go more than a week past your due date. It didn't used to be that way and I know a number of nurses and doctors of the older generation believe the policy is just another way to mitigate lawsuits.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004
I dunno if anyone else was compulsively checking the Costco website, waiting for them to get their GroVia diapers back in stock, but if you were, they are back!! I just ordered the boy ones, so excited for them to get here. That will give me a handful of pockets, a handful of AIO's and the GroVia's, which should be more than enough to figure out if I like cloth diapering.

limegrnxj fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 21, 2011

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.

limegrnxj posted:

I dunno if anyone was compulsively checking the Costco website, waiting for them to get their GroVia diapers back in stock, but if you were, they are back!! I just ordered the boy ones, so excited for them to get here. That will give me a handful of pockets, a handful of AIO's and the GroVia's, which should be more than enough to figure out if I like cloth diapering.

Thanks for mentioning it. I had completely given up.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Brennanite posted:

I'd like to thank Fire at the Disco for recommending the Lil Peepers wraps on Etsy. I just finished watching the DVD guide and I'm totally psyched to try babywearing. My kid is going through "Sleep? I don't need no stinkin' sleep!" and "Hold me, hold meeeeeeee" phases simultaneously. I think babywearing might just save my sanity.

It wasn't me who recommended that particular wrap (I don't think, at least...), but I'm a huge advocate for babywearing, so that is awesome!

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Chickalicious posted:

Honestly, she sounded so casual about it when she asked me if I wanted it sooner or later I'm guessing induction isn't that big of a deal. Sounds like they'll have me come in, break my water and see what happens. My husband is all for the inducing too, I've been pretty drat uncomfortable and he doesn't want the baby to get so big that I can't deliver it vaginally (and not get all the hormonal perks of a vaginal delivery).

However I've been cramping and having bloody show all day after the OB tortured my cervix this morning so I'm guessing things are going to happen naturally in the next day or so. So I don't think I'll need the castor oil quite yet. It is tempting though, like right now while his little head is rolling across my cervix and his butt is pressed right up against my ribs.... ow ow ow.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
Just FYI, with most doctors, breaking your water is the start of a 24 hour clock that ends in c-section if you haven't delivered by then, because of the increased risk of infection. I believe most of the time they will break your water as a type of labor augmentation only after an active labor pattern has been established with other induction methods first, rather than doing it as the first step. If that is truly their plan, you might want to ask about a Cervidil or Cytotec insert instead, usually induction will start there and then move to pitocin after that.

zombie duck v2.0
Apr 4, 2006

"Don't forget taking your skin off, because pink works. It's sophisticated and sexy, stands out as springs hottest color."

Brennanite posted:

Just guessing, but many OBs in the states won't let you go more than a week past your due date. It didn't used to be that way and I know a number of nurses and doctors of the older generation believe the policy is just another way to mitigate lawsuits.

This is so bizarre to me, because in Canada, they will NOT induce you between w40d1 and w41d1 because it apparently increases the complications during labour significantly. I was pretty much begging for an induction near the end (even though I wanted go into labour on my own) because I was so done being pregnant, but no way, they won't let you get induced during that week, unless for some reason the baby needs out immediately for other reasons.

I started the induction process on a Friday morning (treatments of Cervidil), and Sunday afternoon I was actually induced (with Pitocin), my water was broken around early evening (7ish I think) and by 5:00am Monday morning, I was being prepped for a c-section. Now, to be fair, the doctors found out why I hadn't delivered naturally, and that was because of the way my pelvis is tilted. It's not really conducive to actually having children vaginally, but I'm sure this isn't the case for most folks.

There are some serious downsides to induction, but as yawnie said, once your water breaks you have a 24 hour period to have your baby, otherwise you are heading to the OR. Hopefully this doesn't happen to you, and you have a great delivery without the need for an induction at all. :)

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Brennanite posted:

This. I have to check with my OB for her policy as I always forget at my appointment but one of my best friends delivered all three of her babies early and was induced on all of them. The doctor had moved her due date up a week for the first and induced a week before that, then moved it a week and half with the second and induced a week before that. The third and final baby's due date was moved up two weeks and he induced her a week before. So basically from her original due date the first was born at 38 weeks, the second was 37.5 weeks, and the third was 37 weeks. The two girls were just over 8 lbs and the boy (final baby) was a hair over 7 lbs. Good size babies but her doctor didn't want to risk them being giants, she was wicked uncomfortable with all of them and since everyone was healthy he didn't have a problem. I think midwives will let you go to 42 weeks though, from what I've heard.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Lyz posted:

Honestly, she sounded so casual about it when she asked me if I wanted it sooner or later I'm guessing induction isn't that big of a deal. Sounds like they'll have me come in, break my water and see what happens. My husband is all for the inducing too, I've been pretty drat uncomfortable and he doesn't want the baby to get so big that I can't deliver it vaginally (and not get all the hormonal perks of a vaginal delivery).

However I've been cramping and having bloody show all day after the OB tortured my cervix this morning so I'm guessing things are going to happen naturally in the next day or so. So I don't think I'll need the castor oil quite yet. It is tempting though, like right now while his little head is rolling across my cervix and his butt is pressed right up against my ribs.... ow ow ow.

Induction isn't a big deal for some women, especially if they are already in labor when they get induced. However, for many women, it is a huge deal that starts the chain reaction of interventions that leads to a C-section. It sounds like you want to avoid a C-section, so this is just some information for you to mull over if things don't get going on their own this weekend. It's very rare for a baby to actually be so big that you can't deliver it vaginally. And macrosomia (large baby) isn't even considered a viable reason to induce according to the AAP. Thinking of induction as really not a big deal can be dangerous. Your body hasn't gone into labor yet because the baby isn't done cooking, plain and simple. Sometimes there are medical reasons to override the baby's natural timer. It doesn't sound like that is the case for you, and ultimately it is your choice, barring medical emergency.

Lingling
Jun 13, 2008

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, yeah~

Gumby Orgy posted:

Waaaah

Holy poo poo how are you going to look after a baby if you cry more than it?

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere
If there are no medical reasons that waiting to have the baby is risky, an induction is generally not the best idea. FitD is right, if you aren't having your baby yet, it's very unlikely it's ready to come out. Here's hoping things start naturally for you soon.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Beichan posted:

If there are no medical reasons that waiting to have the baby is risky, an induction is generally not the best idea. FitD is right, if you aren't having your baby yet, it's very unlikely it's ready to come out. Here's hoping things start naturally for you soon.

Oh I'm progressing, just not very quickly. Last year I had my cervix frozen to reduce it, and I guess that's what's holding up things, it can't stretch out at fast as one that hasn't been messed around with.

Sounds like they're going to put me on a really low dose of pictocin first to try to encourage my body to speed up the process a bit, and then wait till the next morning to do something more drastic like breaking my water manually.

Honestly, as much as I'd like a nice, natural vaginal birth, I'm fine with being induced and maybe ending up with a c-section. It's getting to the point where I'm taking as many meds to get to sleep comfortably as I am when I wake up and I'm uncomfortable no matter what I do. I am very eager to not be pregnant anymore.

Ah well, I'm going to do my best to be as active as possible this weekend, lots of moving around and activity and hopefully that will speed things along.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Lingling posted:

Holy poo poo how are you going to look after a baby if you cry more than it?

This wasn't necessary. She hasn't posted in this after, as she asked to be banned so she could stay away.You've contributed nothing but calling someone a baby who can't even come and defend herself. Stop being such a bitch.

Sitrus
Feb 17, 2009

Bodnoirbabe posted:

This wasn't necessary. She hasn't posted in this after, as she asked to be banned so she could stay away.You've contributed nothing but calling someone a baby who can't even come and defend herself. Stop being such a bitch.

And she shouldn't have been using it instead of a livejournal "oh I am such a special flower, noone has ever been as special as little me".

Some of us here have gone through hellish pregnancies with a lot of things going upside down. Yet we didn't use this thread instead of a blog. She had very common pregnancy problems, yet could not accept that they were just that. The nurses have seen it all before and they do know what they are talking about.

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought.
Any other ladies working a physically taxing job while pregnant? I'm about to enter into my third trimester and I waitress at a fast pace, high volume restaurant in downtown Chicago and it's kicking my butt. I'm finally upgrading to maternity pants but it's almost impossible for me to pull the 14 hour doubles and running around I'm used to. Right now my manager was cool enough to put me on just three days a week, single shifts but It's frustrating to not be able to make as much money as I'm used to.

Any advice? Home remedies? My last shift left me completely wiped with achey back, sore feet, and my baby practicing martial arts all night so I couldn't sleep.

Also, any pregnancy-safe cold remedies? I've been doing vitamin C and lots of sleep. I see my doctor next week and if I'm still sniffly, I'll ask her. It seems like we're not allowed to take ANY medicine. (My pre-pregnancy cold cure was two shots of tequila... which won't quite work anymore)

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
If its in your head, my doctor told me I can take Zyrtec, Benadryl, Alavert, or Loratadine. If its in your chest, which it almost always is for me, I can take plain Robitussen or regular Mucinex (not D or DM). Then vitamin C, lots of fluids, and lots of rest.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Sarsaparilla posted:

Any other ladies working a physically taxing job while pregnant? I'm about to enter into my third trimester and I waitress at a fast pace, high volume restaurant in downtown Chicago and it's kicking my butt. I'm finally upgrading to maternity pants but it's almost impossible for me to pull the 14 hour doubles and running around I'm used to. Right now my manager was cool enough to put me on just three days a week, single shifts but It's frustrating to not be able to make as much money as I'm used to.

Any advice? Home remedies? My last shift left me completely wiped with achey back, sore feet, and my baby practicing martial arts all night so I couldn't sleep.

I stopped working my job at 32 weeks. I worked construction and installation jobs. I can now barely keep my house clean. I hurt my back cleaning the toilet and had to spend the next day on the couch. I've hung sheetrock and stuff by myself. It's just going to get "harder". I can't spend more than 20 minutes or so on my feet or I start to get light headed, can't bend or lift anything.

The only advice I can give you is find out what you can do to keep up your income. There are no home remedies for the fact your body is exhausted from everything it's doing. See if you can get a doctor to give you short term disability, because you literally cannot keep up 14 hour shifts and expect to wake up the next day able to do it again. I know it sucks, and I feel like I can't do anything by myself anymore, but you're coming in on the home stretch.

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought.

Amykinz posted:

I stopped working my job at 32 weeks. I worked construction and installation jobs. I can now barely keep my house clean. I hurt my back cleaning the toilet and had to spend the next day on the couch. I've hung sheetrock and stuff by myself. It's just going to get "harder". I can't spend more than 20 minutes or so on my feet or I start to get light headed, can't bend or lift anything.

The only advice I can give you is find out what you can do to keep up your income. There are no home remedies for the fact your body is exhausted from everything it's doing. See if you can get a doctor to give you short term disability, because you literally cannot keep up 14 hour shifts and expect to wake up the next day able to do it again. I know it sucks, and I feel like I can't do anything by myself anymore, but you're coming in on the home stretch.

That's actually pretty comforting to hear. One of the girls I work with worked until like two weeks before her due date - which I can't even fathom! And I was feeling kind of like a wimp barely able to keep up with it almost 7 months in.

The income isn't really a problem (I saved a lot this summer knowing this was in my future), and my S.O. makes enough money to support both of us - I just don't like feeling dependent! Though I guess he should be helping out more considering I'm busy GROWING A BABY. Hahah

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Sarsaparilla posted:

That's actually pretty comforting to hear. One of the girls I work with worked until like two weeks before her due date - which I can't even fathom! And I was feeling kind of like a wimp barely able to keep up with it almost 7 months in.

Don't ever let anyone make you feel wimpy. If you're anything like me, you'll do enough of that on your own. I had too many people pull the, "well, I worked up until the due date!". That's nice, you're not me. Every single person is different. I can't even tie my shoes without getting winded now, and it's funny as hell. I'm a drat veteran and I have to buy Crocs or some poo poo cause laces are too hard.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Sitrus posted:

And she shouldn't have been using it instead of a livejournal "oh I am such a special flower, noone has ever been as special as little me".

Some of us here have gone through hellish pregnancies with a lot of things going upside down. Yet we didn't use this thread instead of a blog. She had very common pregnancy problems, yet could not accept that they were just that. The nurses have seen it all before and they do know what they are talking about.

I understand why people were upset at her. They spelled it out plainly for her while she was still active. She removed herself from the situation, taking people's advice. See, the reason she was banned was because she ASKED to be banned. She did it to herself to help herself "chill out" just like everyone suggested.

Then this person comes along out of nowhere after the issue has resolved itself and gets, for lack of a better word, bitchy. She makes fun of her and Gumby can't defend herself. She gives no advice that Gumby would even be able to see if she did. There was no point to responding the way she did other than to be a bitch.

I'm completely understanding of people getting annoyed at Gumby, but that is by no means an excuse to just be mean.

Sarsaparilla posted:

I know exactly what you mean! My sister is pregnant at the same time I am, two days ahead of me. I feel like I constantly have to keep up with her, even though this is her second kid and it's my first. You do what you feel like you can do and then stop. There's no point in exhausting yourself before that kid gets here. From what I hear, we're going to be exhausted enough once it comes.

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 23, 2011

starshine
Nov 26, 2007

Brennanite posted:

Fire In The Disco posted:

It wasn't me who recommended that particular wrap (I don't think, at least...), but I'm a huge advocate for babywearing, so that is awesome!
Missed this, but that was me :D I love LPK. Great service and beautiful carriers! Glad you're going to try one... it has definitely saved my sanity on more than one occasion. Head over to the forums at thebabywearer.com for much more wrapping info than the DVD could provide.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
I'm a stay-at-home mom now so no problems with working in this current pregnancy, but with my first I was working full-time in a kitchen, on my feet all day, hauling out bags of trash, hunching over scrubbing pots, and so on, not to mention the stressful nature of it because people were always causing stupid drama. It SUCKED towards the end. I was due the 3rd week of May and mentioned to my OB that I wanted to stop working May 1st because it was getting too hard and I wanted a few weeks to mentally prepare. Of all people, my OB gave me poo poo about it, saying there was nothing wrong with me and SHE was working all the way up to giving birth (she was pregnant too at the time) and basically said I should just suck it up. I was so insulted. It was especially annoying to me because my job didn't pay anything for maternity leave, they just give you the standard FMLA time off, so they didn't give two shits when I started that time off, whether it's medically necessary or not, as long as I'm back in 12 weeks.

Well, I kept working, still planning on taking a couple weeks time off, but on April 18th I had an awful day at work and was crying that I wished I would just have this baby because I couldn't take my job anymore and just wanted out of there, and the NEXT DAY I went into labor, at 35 weeks. Had her the next day. It appeared, however, that she was not in fact over a month early as we thought, but we were off by a couple weeks with my dates, because she was 6.5lb and all set to go, didn't need any time in the NICU or anything. She was full-term after all. So in the end I worked a physical job all the way up to giving birth.

Sorry, that wound up kinda long, but the point is, listen to your body and don't let anyone, even your doctor, make you feel like a wimp. In the end, only you know what you're going through physically, take it easy if you feel you need to. As a side note, I did NOT go back to that same OB with this pregnancy, because holy poo poo how is your own doctor who is pregnant herself going to make you feel like a lazy crybaby for wanting to take it easy in your home stretch of pregnancy?

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Sarsaparilla posted:

Don't ever feel this way. Parenting is one of those things where some moms feel they have to constantly one-up you. "Oh my labor was 128 hours and I had a 7th degree tear through my rear end in a top hat that they stitched up with twine during a hurricane" type of poo poo. You have to listen to your own body. I work at an extremely fast-paced pediatricians' office and I was relegated to phone-answering duties at 28 weeks because I couldn't carry stacks of charts anymore, and we had a pertussis outbreak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Octagon
Aug 12, 2008

Ride or Die Bitch, Esq.
I was still pregnant at my 41 week appointment this past Monday, where they swept my membranes (OUCH) and scheduled a non-stress test and an amniotic fluid index for the following day, with an induction to follow by 42 weeks if the results of those tests were "non-reassuring." I would've been less than thrilled, but okay with an induction at that point.

BUT, I ended up going into labor that afternoon and delivered Baby Octagon Tuesday at 1:39 PM. He is totally awesome and we're both doing pretty great! Breastfeeding is going so well, which I was anxious about, and I can't believe how physically normal I feel already. Although... I never realized how comically large my boobs would get once my milk came in - I feel like one of those prehistoric fertility statues. I already have 16+ oz. of milk in the freezer just from leakage.

Baby's first non-goopy picture: