Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

bigmcgaffney posted:

One time when I was relaxing after an intense game of b-ball I saw Salman Rushdie in the sauna and he looked just as smug in there.

If I had ever been intimate with Padma Lakshmi I would have this exact look on my face at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Oh, look, GRRM is completely wrong on how magic functions effectively in literature. Stuff like Mistborn is great exactly because the magic is so ruthlessly logical. It doesn't detract from the "unknowable mystery" at all. Absolute fucker is too in love with not having a plan. He wouldn't even have to lay it out for us, just so long as what he writes isn't contradicting itself and he knew all the rules.

And no, George RR Martin is in no way comparable to John RR Tolkien. One was a professor of english and literature at Oxford, creating his masterwork out of his love for mythology, language, history, and poetry. He meticulously created the entire history of the world, with multiple languages, hammering every detail out before putting ink to paper, and wrote a wonderful, timeless story. He spent 12 years making sure it was written properly, starting over from scratch multiple times.

The other is a pulp scifi writer with a Master's in journalism who made up a handful of words for his fictional language, and knows his own fictional world so poorly that he requires the help of a fan (a goddamn loving fan) to tell him what's what. It's been 15 years so far, and no end to this in sight.

In four hundred years, people will still be reading and studying John Ronald Reuel Tolkien. I seriously doubt the same will be said of George Raymond Richard Martin.
Hmm, no wonder Tolkien's writing is so loving dull while Martin's is consistently interesting.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Azure_Horizon posted:

Hmm, no wonder Tolkien's writing is so loving dull while Martin's is consistently interesting.

I think you're missing the point, which is that he spelled out the middle names.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

Please define your interpretation of the words "consistent" and "interesting".

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

bigmcgaffney posted:

Please define your interpretation of the words "consistent" and "interesting".

I don't know how either of those words confuse you.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Azure_Horizon posted:

I don't know how either of those words confuse you.

Because books 1-3 and the AFFC/ADWD combo make it clear that one of the people involved in this exchange doesn't know what those words mean.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 21, 2011

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

IRQ posted:

Because books 1-3 and the AFFC/ADWD combo make it clear that one of the people involved in this exchange doesn't know what those words mean.

This is coming from someone who irrationally hates AFFC/ADWD towards someone who enjoyed them quite a lot. My, what an impasse. I think I know what those words mean, bro.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Hey, you can dislike Tolkien all you want, that's fine. I got no bones with that; I personally detest Gaiman, and he's mysteriously loved by the masses.

What I was illustrating is that we have Tolkien, a scholar whose masterwork is filled with languages, poetry, artwork, and history... and then we have Martin's masterwork, filled with descriptions of food, rape, lesbianism, food, sexual innuendo, words made up as he needs them, food, and food.

To compare these two things as being "similar", in that GRRM is the American version of the other, is absurdity itself. I guess if the "American" version of a classic is meandering, chock-full of sex and violence, and laden heavily with corn syrup, then sure. ASoIaF really is the American LotR. Now with 300% more carbs!

It's not irrational to like or dislike something, you rear end. It's a personal opinion. If you want to suck GRRM's dick over this book, defending him from all slights, he has a blog for that.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Hey, you can dislike Tolkien all you want, that's fine. I got no bones with that; I personally detest Gaiman, and he's mysteriously loved by the masses.

What I was illustrating is that we have Tolkien, a scholar whose masterwork is filled with languages, poetry, artwork, and history... and then we have Martin's masterwork, filled with descriptions of food, rape, lesbianism, food, sexual innuendo, words made up as he needs them, food, and food.

To compare these two things as being "similar", in that GRRM is the American version of the other, is absurdity itself. I guess if the "American" version of a classic is meandering, chock-full of sex and violence, and laden heavily with corn syrup, then sure. ASoIaF really is the American LotR. Now with 300% more carbs!

It's not irrational to like or dislike something, you rear end. It's a personal opinion. If you want to suck GRRM's dick over this book, defending him from all slights, he has a blog for that.
So on the one hand, it's okay to rabidly slather all over Tolkien's dead, decaying cock, and it's not okay to actually like what GRRM is writing these days. Especially when you paint GRRM's work in such wide, ridiculous strokes just because you... wait a minute, WILD CARDS. What am I even doing? This is pointless.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm going to defeat hyperbole by being hyperbolic. I'm so clever :smug:

It is possible to acknowledge that GRRM has done some good stuff while still not being the American Tolkien and acknowledge that while Tolkien's prose was occasionally boring as poo poo he was an unfathomably committed loremaster who set the pace for obsessive neckbeards like GRRM for nearly a century on now and that GRRM just isn't in that league because frankly next to no one is.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

YES bread posted:

I think he assumed they would just take her hostage like they did Edmure. Not like they could plan on her going insane and needing a mercy kill.

It's about two or three chapters after Tywin shows Tyrion the message he got from the Red Wedding: Two wolf pelts. So Tywin would have known by that point.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

:argh:

I only went back a couple pages but the only one who's called him the American Tolkien is you.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Azure_Horizon posted:

This is coming from someone who irrationally hates AFFC/ADWD towards someone who enjoyed them quite a lot. My, what an impasse. I think I know what those words mean, bro.

So you're saying it's completely irrational to have started out liking a series then grow increasingly loving bored with it as it goes on?

You're missing something big here and that's that the vast majority of the people here actually started out really very much enjoying this stuff. And while the long waits certainly contributed*, there's no way any of this attitude surrounding the work would be so bad if the work remained of consistently high quality.

*There are even degrees on this. As the mildest of cards, it doesn't actually really bother me that he said he's not going to be working on the books until next year. Because he's actually being remotely loving honest about it. What I hated was when the next book was always coming out next year for sure.

I bought this book. I bought it twice, both for myself, not as gifts, and one of the first things I bought for my new Kindle when I got it was the four books that were out at the time. Many of the people in this very thread who are in the official IRC Cool Kids' Club may recall me openly stating that I'd probably like the drat thing. And... I didn't hate it, exactly. If a gun was put to my head and I had to choose between it and any number of other books, I'd choose it. But it wasn't good. It was dull.

I don't know why I'm bothering. Blah.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Azure_Horizon posted:

This is coming from someone who white knighted Chrono Cross.

Azure_Horizon posted:

I dunno, Chrono Cross is NOT a bad game. I also loving loved its story, especially after reading analyses of it and filling in a lot of the gaps I didn't understand.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Honestly if you sit down and read the translated Ultimania guide and compare a lot of the events in CC to what happened in CT, the connection makes a lot of sense.

Azure_Horizon posted:

I'm perplexed as to why people are saying Cross was meant to be a 'true sequel' to Trigger when it was never stated by the developers that it would be that in any way. It has elements of Trigger in it and is connected to Trigger but it's not meant to be a 'sequel'.

:allears:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
God, I know, it's not like many, many others enjoy Chrono Cross as well. :)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

^^^ Argumentum ad populum.

Ross posted:

I only went back a couple pages but the only one who's called him the American Tolkien is you.

I bring it up once in a while because it's loving absurd.

Blade_of_tyshalle fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 21, 2011

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Well, the first one is pretty true. A lot of people I know who never read fantasy are reading ASOIAF thanks to the show, and enjoying it.

Hell, I'm surprised no one is harping on the reviewer who compared Game of Thrones to The Once and Future King. I think THAT is outlandish.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

It's about two or three chapters after Tywin shows Tyrion the message he got from the Red Wedding: Two wolf pelts. So Tywin would have known by that point.

Catelyn is a trout. The other pelt probably refers literally to Greywind or is confirmation of the plot to keep Robb from siring an heir.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

^^^ Argumentum ad populum.

I bring it up once in a while because it's loving absurd.

I initially assumed the first quote (Chicago Trib) was missing some sort of qualifying statement after the elipses like "...with a gun to my head" but I googled it and that is actually the entire quote.

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007

IRQ posted:

The amount of smug he manages to convey in that image is truly a thing to behold.

But since I agree with him I think it's awesome.

I mean just look at this:

Imagine him calling Gurm an absolute fucker.

I want this to happen.

Salman Rushdie: "At least my FANS didn't declare a fatwa on me. :smug:"

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

MeerkatHero posted:

I want this to happen.

Salman Rushdie: "At least my FANS didn't declare a fatwa on me. :smug:"

There's a terrible pun involving fat somewhere in there but :effort:

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
edit: I liked Chrono Cross and liked it even though I never beat it and never played Chrono Trigger, but I did read the players guide for CC and btw that magician dude owned with WandIn

I will say that despite popular belief about WILDCARDS, when I got ADWD I read it pretty much obsessively for a couple days and enjoyed having something new set in the world. I liked it well enough, probably more than AFFC even though I hate Dany's storyline, but I still think it could have been so much more and GRRM hosed it all up. It is still not consistent in quality with the first 3, and objectively it is terrible storytelling.

You really can't even defend it by saying its still better than the rest of the "lovely genre" because you can't really make that comparison. You have to compare it to the rest of Martin's work and it is inferior.

Now, let me tell you about the NFL and GANG GREEN

(in my penis)

bigmcgaffney fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 21, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

Hell, I'm surprised no one is harping on the reviewer who compared Game of Thrones to The Once and Future King. I think THAT is outlandish.

And you're entirely within your right to think so. I've never read that book, so I couldn't say.

OaFK doesn't contain nearly enough descriptions of food, rape, hard-bodied lesbians, food, and food for my liking. :unsmigghh:

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
The Once and Future King has a section devoted to Arthur learning binary. gently caress all haters. :colbert:

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
I can understand the comparison to Tolkien with A Feast For Crows since it was an aimless dialogue-fest with a lot of forgettable and poorly shaped characters.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

rejutka posted:

The Once and Future King has a section devoted to Arthur learning binary. gently caress all haters. :colbert:

ASoIaF teaches binary, too. "Rape" and "Not rape". It's always "Rape" :ssh:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Simon Draskovic posted:

ASoIaF teaches binary, too. "Rape" and "Not rape". It's always "Rape" :ssh:

011011000110010101101101011011110110111001100011011000010110101101100101011100110000110100001010

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

IRQ posted:

The amount of smug he manages to convey in that image is truly a thing to behold.

But since I agree with him I think it's awesome.

I mean just look at this:

Imagine him calling Gurm an absolute fucker.

He's a fatand alive Steve Jobs.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Azure_Horizon posted:

So on the one hand, it's okay to rabidly slather all over Tolkien's dead, decaying cock,

Where exactly are you witnessing this?

(I've read TLoTR about a dozen times over the past 20 years. Take that as you will)

Azure_Horizon posted:

and it's not okay to actually like what GRRM is writing these days. Especially when you paint GRRM's work in such wide, ridiculous strokes just because you... wait a minute, WILD CARDS. What am I even doing? This is pointless.

These fans who you see painting "wide and ridiculous strokes" have been fans since the first 3 books were released. You know, back when his writing didn't suck. If AFFC and ADwD quality of writing were the first two volumes, I believe he'd be an unknown author by now, these threads wouldn't exist.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Well, the first one is pretty true. A lot of people I know who never read fantasy are reading ASOIAF thanks to the show, and enjoying it.

How many of those people have made it into AFFC/ADwD?

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 22, 2011

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Quite a few, and while their reactions are stereotypically negative, I have been changing their minds by pointing out the actual quality of both AFFC/ADWD.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Actually, I'll bite. How is ASOIAF≈The Once and Future King less valid than ASOIAF≈LotR? The haphazard world-building, the emphasis on character and theme over coherence of backstory, etc.

Now that's bullshit because TOAFK is perhaps the crowning achievement of English-language Fantasy while GRRM couldn't write a paragraph even approaching White even if he gave up NFL and not-blogging in the attempt. But there are at least as many valid comparisons between GRRM/THW as there are between GRRM/JRRT.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Azure_Horizon posted:

Quite a few, and while their reactions are stereotypically negative, I have been changing their minds by pointing out the actual quality of both AFFC/ADWD.

The gently caress? Why is it so hard for you to allow people to form their own opinions?

Your real name is Ty, isn't it?

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Theons chapters are the Modern American Psycho

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I feel like im the only one who enjoyed the description of Pretty Pig running around the inside of the boat and making GBS threads everywhere :negative:

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Elindale posted:

I feel like im the only one who enjoyed the description of Pretty Pig running around the inside of the boat and making GBS threads everywhere :negative:

Wait until Dany does it, then you'll really lose it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Azure_Horizon posted:

No, no you haven't.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
The last two books have been almost uniformly dull and forgettable. I really liked the premise of Dany as an idealistic revolutionary seeing her works fall apart due to internal cultural inertia and external interests while succumbing to personal turmoil but the writing fell totally short.

Besides that the only other thing that struck me was a somewhat jarring dig at the insurance industry.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

IRQ posted:

No, no you haven't.

Seriously. You've been berating your friends into agreeing with you. They probably tell you what you want to hear so you'll shut up about it.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Seriously. You've been berating your friends into agreeing with you. They probably tell you what you want to hear so you'll shut up about it.

Is the art of intellectual debate dead now? God forbid a well formed persuasive argument could change someone's mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I hope when GRRM dies soon that his publishers hire Terry Goodkind and Kevin J Anderson to finish the series, it's the legacy that the fat gently caress deserves.