Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

apple posted:

Try a jump slash. You can continue from there,
This is considered a bug and you're not normally supposed to be able to go through that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

How does the game get harder at all after anor londo? Anor Londo was the bottleneck for me, everything since then that I've faced has been really easy.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
It doesn't get harder, just a shitload more tedious thanks to crystal caves, tomb of giants and lost izalith.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

FirstPersonShitter posted:

How does the game get harder at all after anor londo? Anor Londo was the bottleneck for me, everything since then that I've faced has been really easy.
Generally it doesn't because you have all the necessary tools and resources to meet every problem. Also by this point in the game, you've probably found a good groove in how to play the game. The astute (or the spoiled) also know how to completely break the game at this stage too, and the game doesn't account for that in the least.

You may still trip up here and there on some surprises in the zones but nothing that presents a road block. Four Kings was the usual next road block but with everyone reading the spoiler on how to properly fight that, it becomes super incredibly easy.

Same with the final boss. Note the amount of people coming in to bitch about the final boss and then a single spoiled word makes the fight completely trivial.

Vatek posted:

It doesn't get harder, just a shitload more tedious thanks to crystal caves, tomb of giants and lost izalith.
There is nothing tedious about these first two areas. Lost Izalith does have something worth griping about though: that lava area has no reward and nothing but both physical pain in the form of eyestrain and absence of fun due to the enemies there. Thankfully, there is a Covenant associated shortcut worth using that bypasses it for all subsequent playthroughs.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Most of the difficulty in this game seems to come down to what you know and what you don't. I had a hard time the first run through, even though I'd played Demon's Souls several times before, but now on my second character I've known where the good stuff is and how to actually build a character and how to safely deal with every enemy and boss. The main challenge in a new character is learning how to adapt your tactics to a new character. I believe from said they designed some stuff to be poorly explained so as to encourage a wiki community, so I think a lot of the game is designed to be spoiled in some way.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Amdis posted:

So I just finished the game with the Dark Lord ending.

What's the deal with Frampt coming to help you? I thought he was trying to get you to light the flame and Kaathe was for the other ending? But turns out they both bow their bald veiny heads at me. And what's the deal with Gwyn? I thought me going in to light the last flame would return the age of fire or whatever and empower the lords again. Why is he beating me up? :confused:

This is from a while ago, but if you just look at him and apply what you know about the darksign/curse of being undead, Gwyn has gone hollow. Probably a long time ago. Yeah, he found that lord soul to buff himself up, but he was originally just another accursed not-quite-zombie schlub like everyone else in the game.

The thing about fires is that they need fuel to keep burning. In the case of the mystic bonfires, they burn condensed humanity instead of wood. And the darksigned undead guys are like (un)living furnaces that burn their own supply of humanity until they're burnt-out cold and mindless husks. They can prolong their lifespan indefinitely by harvesting the living, which is why everybody else in the world hates and fears them. Since the bonfires are burning the same stuff, they can provide a residual un-hollowing 'warmth,' but they're just a different way of burning up the same stuff, at the eternal expense of the fire-keepers who keep them going.

So, the only way for the Age of Fire to last is to continually subjugate all humanity, forever, to harvest the essence of dudes on a massive scale and keep the bonfires fed. The Darkwraiths aren't really any worse than Gwyn, they've just focused on sustaining themselves in a more selfish and less community-minded way, by optimizing the efficiency of eating humanity instead of using bonfires.[/plot information]

The.GreyWolf posted:

Oh. My. GOD.

Hello, Kaathe. This Darkwraith thing better be so goddamn awesome. Does it count against me if I kill the other darkwraiths?

Nope! Bring more souls. :black101:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

gibbed posted:

This is considered a bug and you're not normally supposed to be able to go through that way.

What? The bug is that the dragon despawns into the lizard legs from lost Izalith.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Most of the difficulty in this game seems to come down to what you know and what you don't. I had a hard time the first run through, even though I'd played Demon's Souls several times before, but now on my second character I've known where the good stuff is and how to actually build a character and how to safely deal with every enemy and boss. The main challenge in a new character is learning how to adapt your tactics to a new character. I believe from said they designed some stuff to be poorly explained so as to encourage a wiki community, so I think a lot of the game is designed to be spoiled in some way.
Even outside of how to build a character and such, there are a lot of little tricks that I suspect people never pick up on.

For example:

Crystal caverns - prism shards
Tomb of Giants - a simple light spell ... and prism shards

Prism shards rule I love those little things so much.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

gibbed posted:

Yep, and it's the bugged way which I first figured out how to get out of painted world. A lot of people seem to end up doing it this way.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rascyc posted:

Prism shards rule I love those little things so much.

I would have liked those shards a lot more if the collision detection wasn't so lovely and I fell off anyway despite being behind them. And if there was a bonfire in the caves so I didn't have to walk back from the Archives. It's not even a challenge to get back, just time consuming.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Oh my God, haha. I invaded this guy in the painted world, he dropped down in front of me, and I kicked him off a ledge to his death. This is going to be awesome.

Ooo, here comes another!

Monolith. fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 21, 2011

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

More like hold X, wave the controller around like a maniac hoping that at least SOMETHING happens.

At least that's been my experience, in Demon's too.

They seem to have improved gesture recognition. I can do them with consistency now compared to DeS.

Rascyc posted:

Thankfully, there is a Covenant associated shortcut worth using that bypasses it for all subsequent playthroughs.

Yes! I knew it was worth it!

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

I take it back. Some guy just insta-combustioned me. :mad:

I hope that patch eliminates some of the bullshit like that.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

The.GreyWolf posted:

I take it back. Some guy just insta-combustioned me. :mad:

I hope that patch eliminates some of the bullshit like that.

It's all fun and games until you get your rear end kicked. :v:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is Darkmoon match-making for PvP completely random? Because I got invaded by a guy who had to spend ten minutes playing "no u" with me at the rotating platform near the bonfire before he went down to spammed Combustion. There's no way I should be getting away with that poo poo.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
I could use some help here. I'm stuck in Anor Lando and the bosses. Not that big of a deal, really since this is pretty much considered one of the hardest parts of the game. My problem is I'm really not too sure I know where my character should be.

I wanted to do a faith knight (of the sun!), throw some lightning around, and stand toe-to-toe with bad motherfuckers.

Thing is that isn't working out so well. I ignored strength because I didn't want any of the huge weapons in the game and instead focused on Faith, Endurance, and Vitality, all in that order.

I'm about to level to 61 right now and have now idea where I should go. I wanted to upgrade my crescent blade to occult but that hasn't happened yet, so my +5 divine hasn't been kicking rear end much rear end as I thought it would.

Stats are:

Vit: 21
Atune: 15
Endurance: 26
Str: 16
Dex: 15
Res: 11
Intel: 9
Faith: 28

The idea was to get faith to at least Wrath of God levels, so that's good. But otherwise I'm stuck. My gut says endurance because I never seem to have as much as I'd like, but I'm not sure.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

RBA Starblade posted:

I would have liked those shards a lot more if the collision detection wasn't so lovely and I fell off anyway despite being behind them. And if there was a bonfire in the caves so I didn't have to walk back from the Archives. It's not even a challenge to get back, just time consuming.
Very little time if you just ignore the crystal golems and run passed them. They are hideously slow anyway.

Toiwat posted:

Yes! I knew it was worth it!
Whoa, you might be misinterpreting what I said. I didn't mean to imply you unlock it once and it's open for every single playthrough. I'm pretty sure you still need to unlock it on each particular playthrough. It's just nice that it's always there to be unlocked in general.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Vatek posted:

It's all fun and games until you get your rear end kicked. :v:

In hindsight I'm sure I could have strafed around him and then shoved my spear up his rear end.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Rascyc posted:

I'm pretty sure you still need to unlock it on each particular playthrough. It's just nice that it's always there to be unlocked in general.

Gah. Well, back to the endless baby skeletons then I guess. But to be honest, the worst was donating those 30 humanities one by one.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Just beat the game. Gonna take a demon break until the patch is out.

Rad game though overall I enjoyed Demon's Souls much more.

Final gear:

Mother's Mask
Havel's Armor
Havel's Gauntlets
Antiquated Skirt
Havel's Ring
Ring of Favor
Lightning Zweihander +5
Grass Shield +14

Nothing could stop me. Zweihander is a total game breaker since you can easily link R2s and stunlock most anything.

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 21, 2011

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I've gotta stop doing groucho marx impressions while I play this game, taking my hand off the controller to do a cigar motion gets me killed.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
The Iron Giant just threw me off the tower and I couldn't recover my souls or anything. That's slightly disheartening.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Toiwat posted:

Gah. Well, back to the endless baby skeletons then I guess. But to be honest, the worst was donating those 30 humanities one by one.

Go do the dragon head trick and dupe 99 humanity. You don't have to stay a member of the dragon covenant, you just have to join it once then join whoever you want and it still works. Seriously, humanity farming is just a stupid waste of time. It doesn't mean you're better at the game if you spend a weekend killing fetal skeletons.

My favorite weapon for the time being is the claymore. I've tried pretty much every weapon in the game, but this thing puts a sweet rear end scabard on my back, has great attack animations, hardly requires any stats to use (it's +9 fire, gently caress strength, gently caress your zweihander) and looks great with my armor.

I love that just one swing is a vertical for use in hallways, and every other is a huge horizontal arc. Only downside is if they fix the scaling, it's just a C/C. :(

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Just remembers the ABCs.

Always
Be
Consuming

You should be fighting bosses with virtually no souls. Use up those souls to reinforce your equipment, level up or buy stuff. Never stockpile them when you mean to get somewhere!

Can't handle that? Then hit the bricks, pal!

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Well, the Catacombs weren't half bad. First time I beat a boss on the first try (using my Divine Claymore +5 took him down pretty quickly), and the skeletons were just one or two shots. The worst was those wheel skeletons. Fighting more than one at once wasn't pleasant. But anyways, guess I ought to try taking out O&S again.

Anyways, is there any good way to fight against pyromancy-wielding players as a mostly melee character? I ran into players like that the last two times I got invaded, and they took me out in a few seconds.

Carwin
Feb 7, 2008

A hazard to himself and others.
Been playing the poo poo out of this, and I think it's my "best game of the generation." It's exactly what I wish every game was: unique, demanding, complex, fun. An honest to goodness game in a sea of "interactive" movies and mindless shooters.

I do miss the relentless moodiness and oppressive atmosphere of Demons' Souls, but aside from that I enjoyed this one a good deal more. I love the heavier RPG elements, the Symphony of the Night 2011 exploration model, and of course the world itself is flat out amazing.

I could do with a bit less bugginess, but that seems so trivial in the face of everything this game gets right. It's almost... sort of... part of the charm. Things aren't perfectly balanced, not perfectly fair. There's almost a meta layer of shakiness over the whole thing that plays well with the game's spirit. I'd like to see some of the overt collision issues fixed, for example, but I think From should be careful not to polish away every sharp corner. Dark Souls is the kind of game that SHOULD unfairly poke your eye out from time to time.

e: That doesn't mean this fog ring bullshit doesn't need to be patched immediately though... cause gently caress that.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
What's a good weapon to make/have for the end game stuff of Lost Izaloth and beyond? My flaming furysword somehow doesn't strike me as appropriate given my surroundings.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
^^^Depends on your stats and what sort of weapon style you like. I really enjoy the claymore. Just give it lightning or fire enchant. It hardly requires any stats to use as well.

I had a lot of trouble with pvp until I finally had the balls to take off ring of favor and protection.

But take it off. gently caress that ring.

Now I use dark wood grain ring and alternate between ring of fog for pvp and wolf ring for pve.

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 21, 2011

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

Nick Biped posted:

Catacombs

I personally found it the easiest. Now what followed? That was hell.

invalid fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 21, 2011

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Ramsus posted:

^^^Depends on your stats and what sort of weapon style you like. I really enjoy the claymore. Just give it lightning or fire enchant. It hardly requires any stats to use as well.

Fire, really? Huh. The furysword does more fire damage than physical so maybe I'm alright.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Almost Smart posted:

Fire, really? Huh. The furysword does more fire damage than physical so maybe I'm alright.

My +9 claymore does 272 physical and 272 fire damage for a total of 544. What's the furysword at +5? 90 phys and 230 fire or some poo poo?

Edit: I misread what you were saying. Yeah, fire weapons work alright down there, but lightning would probably be better. Honestly fire is fine for those little stone demons and you should use the crystal ring shield on everything else.

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 21, 2011

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
So I ran into everyone's favourite knight of gross incandescence in Anor Lando and we had the following conversation:

'You really are fond of chatting with me aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you have feelings for me! Oh no, dear me...':gay:

vv Edit: I'm playing a Male character too.:fyadride: vv

Tamagod Sushi fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 21, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tamagod Sushi posted:

So I ran into everyone's favourite knight of gross incandescence in Anor Lando and we had the following conversation:

'You really are fond of chatting with me aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you have feelings for me! Oh no, dear me...':gay:
Is your character male or female?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
He did that for me as a male character.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

Vatek posted:

He did that for me as a male character.

Same.

Dude never even called me back afterward.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I don't know why everyone likes Solaire so much.

Although it was kind of sad when I found him with a bug on his head going crazy. But hey, I got his gear.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

invalid posted:

Same.

Dude never even called me back afterward.
Relationships in Dark Souls are so fleeting...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just fell out of the world in the Tomb of Giants. Unfortunately I didn't find the drat bonfire so I get to do it all again! I guess I'll keep in mind that ladder with a glitchy floor.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Kild posted:

What? The bug is that the dragon despawns into the lizard legs from lost Izalith.
The dragon actually pulls himself over without his behind when you first approach him, his rear end remaining is totally intentional. :v:

It is an undead rotting dragon after all! :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Ramsus posted:

My +9 claymore does 272 physical and 272 fire damage for a total of 544. What's the furysword at +5? 90 phys and 230 fire or some poo poo?

My furysword with 10+ humanity and 50 dex does a total of 525 damage. Remember that it's a curved sword, so it swings a lot faster and at a much lower stamina cost than greatswords.

• Locked thread