Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Collector
Aug 9, 2011

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Rats raining down in the night during the Stanley Cup finals.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

although that dude Chris Jones is a weiner, people who use "we" to describe their sports teams are kind of dumb.

why is that? for a sports franchise fans are far more important than any player or coach.They pay the salaries, influence the proceedings of the games (mostly through intimidating the referees), provide support for the players. I don't see anything wrong with people saying we, and it seems like nitpicking to the max to tell people they can't.

Using that logic no one taking part in any group can ever take credit for things they didn't specifically do themselves. If anything fans should be able to say "we" more than the players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

The Collector posted:

why is that? for a sports franchise fans are far more important than any player or coach.They pay the salaries, influence the proceedings of the games (mostly through intimidating the referees), provide support for the players. I don't see anything wrong with people saying we, and it seems like nitpicking to the max to tell people they can't.

Using that logic no one taking part in any group can ever take credit for things they didn't specifically do themselves. If anything fans should be able to say "we" more than the players.

lol

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

That Pujols article... I watched that game. Can you really single out anyone? It was the Rangers performing, not the Cardinals choking.

What a knee jerk, idiotic thing to write.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I say "we" and "us" because it's easier than constantly typing *name of team*

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Groucho Marxist posted:

i get that i just find it irritating with the whole Victorino thing where it was all "how do u not care shane WE SHOULD STILL BE PLAYING" what do you loving mean "we"

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Chris Jones has written some really awesome stuff but he is a giant baby when you actually interact with him.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i get that i just find it irritating with the whole Victorino thing where it was all "how do u not care shane WE SHOULD STILL BE PLAYING" what do you loving mean "we"

It's just in a conversation with a bunch of fans of a bunch of teams it's way easier to shorthand it. It's also just a part of how we socially have interacted as fans since childhood, and everyone knows when they use it in context that it means 'the team I root for and I' or 'the team we all root for', etc, that I don't get the point of the whining.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

toadee posted:

It's just in a conversation with a bunch of fans of a bunch of teams it's way easier to shorthand it. It's also just a part of how we socially have interacted as fans since childhood, and everyone knows when they use it in context that it means 'the team I root for and I' or 'the team we all root for', etc, that I don't get the point of the whining.

counterpoint

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Groucho Marxist posted:

Yeah this is why I do it. I suspect that pretty much everyone who does it realizes that they are not actually on the team, so pointing that out is kind of pointless and boring.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I use them and they because 90% of my sports experience is bitching and complaining and I want to distance myself so I can more effectively rage against the teams' incompetence. We didn't murder Jay Cutler; Mike Martz, Jerry Angelo, and Frank Omiyale did.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 21, 2011

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Mornacale posted:

Oh, I see, so it's just "dumb jocks" rather than "dumb blacks" well I guess that's perfectly reasonable. :allears:

Actually Simmons is right to an extent. Whether its nice or not, the NBA primarily draws from lower income households and the elite skipping/breezing through college. Hockey is primarily middle-class and above for its talent pool. Its not 100% true for every player, but the difference in economic background makes a difference. This is especially true for American B-ball players vs. American hockey players. American hockey players play longer in college at better colleges and have less freedom to gently caress up because they are not an economic foundation of schools in the same way basketball is. Its a hosed up system.

He probably should have gone into that further, otherwise you have knee-jerk reactions like your post and half-asses apologies like his.

That being said, player unions and players have lawyers who do know what they are doing. I don't think the education background is at play in this lockout.

Okposolypse fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 21, 2011

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Actually, athletes from lower income families have a significantly smaller chance of making it to the NBA

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/6777581/importance-athlete-background-making-nba

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

ElwoodCuse posted:

Actually, athletes from lower income families have a significantly smaller chance of making it to the NBA

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/6777581/importance-athlete-background-making-nba
Hockey requires all that plus the equipment (which needs replacement regularly when your growing/poo poo gets hosed) and icetime is more expensive. But I guess at that point the difference in price becomes negligible?

There was also I think a Simmon's article on a kid who got would play in corporate leagues and would get paid to do so. Would poo poo like this be a factor, or a small blip?

Regardless, I don't think Simmons' was implying the NBA is just "dumb black people."

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

MorningView posted:

Yeah this is why I do it. I suspect that pretty much everyone who does it realizes that they are not actually on the team, so pointing that out is kind of pointless and boring.

it's basically a way of mocking people who take sports too seriously, which can be done much more easily by saying "you take sports too seriously" instead of obnoxiously nitpicking a meaningless verbal tick

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
This column is pretty hilarious.

quote:

Don’t get me wrong, Epstein was a great GM for the Red Sox and if I were rooting for him to be the first GM in the Hall of Fame, I’d be psyched right now. If he can do for Chicago what he did for Boston, it will be great for him personally. A major part of the headline will be: “Epstein leads Red Sox and Cubs to World Series victories.” But after everything Cubs fans have been through, that’s not good enough for me.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

This is one of the most pompous things i've ever read. Seriously, read the whole thing.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

MorningView posted:

Really? I hear this all the freaking time, almost always with casual fans that have become more serious fans over the years. What KYOON's talking about was an incident last week where Victorino tweeted something like "Go Brewers" and many fans reminded him "Why are you rooting for anybody, we should still be playing right now!!!!" And it's hard to not hear at least the entitlement felt in that kind of speech.

I mean, I trust the individuals here don't use "we" like that, but it's out there.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Does that sentence become more cool and reasonable if they say "Why are you rooting for anybody, you should still be playing right now!!!!"?

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Dutchy posted:

Does that sentence become more cool and reasonable if they say "Why are you rooting for anybody, you should still be playing right now!!!!"?

Ever so slightly. But not really. Sports fans who have that "WHAT? YOU THINK ABOUT ANYTHING BUT BASEBALL?" attitude are the worst. They will legitimately argue that they deserve a return for all the sweat and tears they put into watching their team.

Okposolypse fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 21, 2011

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dutchy posted:

Yeah exactly. Like ADF said, people should absolutely be made fun of for taking sports way too seriously. But focusing entirely on the "we" thing when it's almost always just done out of convenience is kind of silly.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Okposolypse posted:

Actually Simmons is right to an extent. Whether its nice or not, the NBA primarily draws from lower income households and the elite skipping/breezing through college. Hockey is primarily middle-class and above for its talent pool. Its not 100% true for every player, but the difference in economic background makes a difference. This is especially true for American B-ball players vs. American hockey players. American hockey players play longer in college at better colleges and have less freedom to gently caress up because they are not an economic foundation of schools in the same way basketball is. Its a hosed up system.

He probably should have gone into that further, otherwise you have knee-jerk reactions like your post and half-asses apologies like his.

That being said, player unions and players have lawyers who do know what they are doing. I don't think the education background is at play in this lockout.

This is kind of not quite so accurate. First of all, I would agree on balance that NCAA hockey players do attend college for longer than NCAABB counterparts. However, this is in part due to the fact that most of the top-level talent in the NHL plays Major Junior. People who play Major Junior hardly get an adequate high school education. Of course, many elite basketball players also skip NCAABB but I would imagine that the percentage of total players attending university at any point is higher for the NBA. The elite talent that goes to NCAA for hockey typically leaves on a similar trajectory to their basketball playing counterparts.

In fact, I might argue that hockey players have less formalized education than basketball players (ignoring quality and performance etc). I do agree with your point about background, which makes a big difference in terms of the quality of the years of education.

I understand that your point is american hockey players vs. american bb players, but it's kind of disingenous to discount a majority of the NHLPA's membership, who are Canadian, and/or played Major Junior.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dutchy posted:

no but it becomes even dumber if you say we in that context

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
it takes away a bit of the ring of entitlement for me and doesn't blur the line on our relationship with athletes. They do things on the field, we watch them, and I feel some people aren't as enlightened as you kind folks.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

He is the 15%.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I literally cannot believe that there is a Cubs fan who wants to add some more requirements for the manner in which they win their first World Series title in over a century.

And that those requirements basically are "be run exactly in the same terrible way that the Cubs have in the past and wait until you luck into a championship"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bah gawd a complete lack of intelligence or process got us this far we caint turn back now tommy!!!

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is kind of not quite so accurate. First of all, I would agree on balance that NCAA hockey players do attend college for longer than NCAABB counterparts. However, this is in part due to the fact that most of the top-level talent in the NHL plays Major Junior. People who play Major Junior hardly get an adequate high school education. Of course, many elite basketball players also skip NCAABB but I would imagine that the percentage of total players attending university at any point is higher for the NBA. The elite talent that goes to NCAA for hockey typically leaves on a similar trajectory to their basketball playing counterparts.

In fact, I might argue that hockey players have less formalized education than basketball players (ignoring quality and performance etc). I do agree with your point about background, which makes a big difference in terms of the quality of the years of education.

I understand that your point is american hockey players vs. american bb players, but it's kind of disingenous to discount a majority of the NHLPA's membership, who are Canadian, and/or played Major Junior.
A lot of the Junior kids go to school while playing. There are awards for best scholar and such and for those who are not top prospects they may attend Canadien universities. Those who skip right through may not have an educational advantage degree wise, but they still have an advantage as their families tend to be better educated and can help them make sound financial decisions. That kind of support makes a huge difference.

IS there a way to look at stats for parents educational backgrounds of athletes?

Regardless, I don't think their is a huge difference (there are some really "dumb" hockey players, especially those from reservations and who have little contact with their family on travel teams. Its really hosed up how many of these kids from that background have disorders and behavioral problems), but I don't think Simmon's was making a subtly racist point.

Okposolypse fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 21, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Okposolypse posted:

A lot of the Junior kids go to school while playing. There are awards for best scholar and such and for those who are not top prospects they may attend Canadien universities. Those who skip right through may not have an educational advantage degree wise, but they still have an advantage as their families tend to be better educated and can help them make sound financial decisions. That kind of support makes a huge difference.

IS there a way to look at stats for parents educational backgrounds of athletes?

Regardless, I don't think their is a huge difference (there are some really "dumb" hockey players, especially those from reservations and who have little contact with their family on travel teams. Its really hosed up how many of these kids from that background have disorders and behavioral problems), but I don't think Simmon's was making a subtly racist point.

Totally agree with you on the support and background thing, but most of the guys who make the NHL don't go on to Canadian universities. Most of the guys who make the NHL out of Junior either make it straight out of Junior or they toil in the E and A for a while before finally making the show.

I think lots of people underestimate just how disruptive it is to uproot 15 year old kids, put them all the way across the country with host families and expect them to play extremely competitive hockey at a high level which expressly conflicts with their education. It's a really hosed up system (Danton, etc being the worst of it), but at a lower level it's still damaging.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Totally agree with you on the support and background thing, but most of the guys who make the NHL don't go on to Canadian universities. Most of the guys who make the NHL out of Junior either make it straight out of Junior or they toil in the E and A for a while before finally making the show.
Yeah, I can go with this.

quote:

I think lots of people underestimate just how disruptive it is to uproot 15 year old kids, put them all the way across the country with host families and expect them to play extremely competitive hockey at a high level which expressly conflicts with their education. It's a really hosed up system (Danton, etc being the worst of it), but at a lower level it's still damaging.

Agreed 100%. Sometimes it works out fine, you get a great host family, a good coach, and your set. But it puts kids in a very vulnerable position where they can get isolated easily. Frost will always be the worst example of how quickly that atmosphere can destroy kids. But even just not being home must have a stunting effect on these kids.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

It's only tangentally related to sports journalism but I'm gonna post it because it's the New York Post and it's NWS.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/mlb/new-york-post-gaddafi-a-rod-cover/

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

It's only tangentally related to sports journalism but I'm gonna post it because it's the New York Post and it's NWS.

I've got a pretty hosed up sense of humor (kind of hard to read SA for 10 years if you don't) and I think that's sad. It's the kind of thing you get in an email fwd. from the guy who sends racist Obama jokes.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Crazy Ted posted:

Sometimes I'm really ashamed. This is one of those times. That is horrific and not funny at all.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

The broken bones posted:

Here's a Tub of poo poo written by Murray Chase Jeff Passan

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-passan_pujols_world_series_game_two_cardinals_102011

Pujols Displays Zero Leadership After Game 2 Loss

Is there a way for someone to actually choke to death on their words?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Gleeman tweeted this saying

quote:

Easily the worst column you'll read today

Hope you're ready for some Punto fellating.

http://www.sctimes.com/article/20111020/SPORTS/110200042/DeLand-column-World-Series-Everyman

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Tangentially related to sports, but Simmons had ESPN executive editor John Walsh on his podcast to talk about Hunter S. Thompson, whom Walsh had been friends with since the 70s. I'm 15 minutes in and its great so far. Simmons should have more people like him on instead of Jacko and other people whose opinions no one cares about.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/36326/the-b-s-report-bill-simmons-and-john-a-walsh-on-hunter-s-thompson

hcreight fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 27, 2011

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Going to crosspost this from the NHL N/V thread (thanks Scorchy)

Scorchy posted:

Canucks lose 3-0 to the Blues. Luongo didn't even play. Let's take a look at the front page of the Vancouver Sun.

:negative:

The sportmedia in Vancouver almost deserves a thread on its own for poo poo like this.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Who wants to read a lovely MLB fanfic?

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/story/_/id/7152611/st-louis-cardinals-mlb-champions-page-2-predicts-25-world-series-winners

mmm, Page 2. I remember when you launched! You had such promise.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Deathlove posted:

Who wants to read a lovely MLB fanfic?

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/story/_/id/7152611/st-louis-cardinals-mlb-champions-page-2-predicts-25-world-series-winners

mmm, Page 2. I remember when you launched! You had such promise.

you know it's a lovely article when this

quote:

2023: Los Angeles Angels of Santa Anaheim and South Orange County, including but not limited to Laguna Beach, Dana Point and San Juan Capistrano

is your best punchline.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

The broken bones posted:

you know it's a lovely article when this

is your best punchline.

"Adrian Beltre, Nelson Cruz and Josh Hamilton power a balanced Texas offense, but resurgent pitchers A.J. Burnett and John Lackey share World Series MVP honors after throwing two shutouts each." is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
That is some bad bad photoshop in the header graphic

e: If you're not familiar with Raley Field it seats about 11,000 so the idea of Bud Selig ever approving that the A's play there even while waiting for a new park is hilarious

e2: I realize it's going for humor not possibility but I don't mean hilarious in that it did its job

leokitty fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 31, 2011