Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Huh? I'm not quite getting what you're saying here? Jump off the spiral staircase?

I'm level 61 and I've been waiting at the bonfire for 15 minutes. Not a single summon marker in sight.

I'm 61 and I need sunlight medals so summon me in like 2 minutes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

KozmoNaut posted:

Huh? I'm not quite getting what you're saying here? Jump off the spiral staircase?

Yeah, that's what I mean. Starting from the bonfire with Solaire, you run up the staircase till you can see that path, then you can jump onto it at the right angle.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm level 61 and I've been waiting at the bonfire for 15 minutes. Not a single summon marker in sight.

You shouldn't wait there, try the front entrance at the bottom of the big staircase. That's where most people put their signs.

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Incoming Street Fighter run! Going to *attempt* shieldless, we'll see how possible that is

http://www.twitch.tv/waspinat0r

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Volitaire posted:

You shouldn't wait there, try the front entrance at the bottom of the big staircase. That's where most people put their signs.

I get summoned all the time by the bonfire. When I was human and trying for O+S, I didn't see a single sign on the stairs, either. :smith:

waspinator posted:

Incoming Street Fighter run! Going to *attempt* shieldless, we'll see how possible that is

One of the guys I helped vs O+S last night was using the Dragon Bone Fist and nothing in his offhand. He did really well, actually.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I was just invaded in the undead parish on PS3. The guy and I fought for a bit just blocking a whole bunch, then he threw some blue poo poo at me that made me glow blue. When I used an estus flask after being hit with the blue poo poo I was kicked off PSN and booted from my game. What the gently caress happened?

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
So my last attempt at Gargoyles wasn't a total waste, had Solaire and a human Sunbro at my side, Solaire decided to hack off the tail of one of them, and I managed to pick up that axe just before getting my rear end handed to me.

I've unlocked the lower levels of the undead burg, stopped short of the bit with the dogs and the ninjas to go back and buy a repair box with all the souls i'd saved. Is there anything nightmarish just around the corner from there i should prepare for equipmentwise?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Volitaire posted:

Yeah, but that requires getting rid of the royal guardians and that's like a boss fight before the boss fight.

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010

waspinator posted:

Are you on NG++ or something? How'd you already have all that equipment?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

doomfunk posted:

I get summoned all the time by the bonfire. When I was human and trying for O+S, I didn't see a single sign on the stairs, either. :smith:

I had the opposite success, no summons at the bonfire but plenty at the stairs. I reckon most of the hosts just wanted help on the bosses and no risk of their phantoms getting hurt by the trash on the way. Although one person did call me in while he was still fighting the giants.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
In my case, whenever I got picked up for a summon, we'd clear the silver knights on the way in zero time flat, and then just dash past the giants. They take too much effort to kill. Compared to the time it'd take me to clear the giants' room and safely set up my white sign, it was a lot more entertaining to just set my sign by the bonfire and clear knights for a minute or so until I got summoned.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

So, anyone else think and actual co-op for this game would have been completely amazing? I mean they already have the basics down with the summoning thing (even though it doesn't work for poo poo), if they actually made it so that you could play through the entire game with your buddy it would be crazy fun. Sure it would get easy as hell and the atmosphere would suffer, but of course it would be an optional thing. Maybe they could even make the game scale for two players, I dunno.

I'm only saying this because I have friends who are not really interested in games that want to play this, but the game would be way too unforgiving for them to enjoy it alone :(

Valkrye
Aug 11, 2008

smuh posted:

So, anyone else think and actual co-op for this game would have been completely amazing? I mean they already have the basics down with the summoning thing (even though it doesn't work for poo poo), if they actually made it so that you could play through the entire game with your buddy it would be crazy fun. Sure it would get easy as hell and the atmosphere would suffer, but of course it would be an optional thing. Maybe they could even make the game scale for two players, I dunno.

I'm only saying this because I have friends who are not really interested in games that want to play this, but the game would be way too unforgiving for them to enjoy it alone :(

I did this recently with a friend for Demon's souls. Was great fun, though yes it does make it a lot easier so I think if it scaled up some how it would be a great addition.

I've held of trying to do it in Dark souls as it's hard enough to summon ANYONE let alone a buddy.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

smuh posted:

They might like it anyway. The last game I played seriously was Diablo 2, but I got a little taste of Demons' Souls, then bought a PS3 last month just for Demons/Dark Souls.

I also got a couple of other things - Space Marine, Ninja Gaiden, Heavy Rain - but I haven't so much as opened the boxes since Dark Souls came out.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
For the achievement about unique items I assume that you can collect all of them across different characters, right?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

LukeyBoy posted:

For the achievement about unique items I assume that you can collect all of them across different characters, right?

No, they all have to be obtained on one character.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Does anybody ever white phantom for Gwendolyn? This guy was a joke on my sorcerer but I can't touch him on this character.

CaptainStag
Sep 29, 2004

Good acting is a practiced craft, one that suggests subtlety and nuance.
I was wondering everyone's thoughts were on the inability to play your own music in-game. It was the same for Demon's Souls and it doesn't really bother me because I think the silence makes things a bit more authentic, but I'm curious what the rationale used for this was. All I can chalk it up to is the developers felt like a bunch of wannabe Steven Spielbergs and insisted "NO! You must experience my vision as I intended because I am such an artist!". As much as I like Dark Souls it does seem to have a hint of arrogant self-importance in its presentation.

nauggins
Jun 26, 2009

it's big money postin' baby boy
So, am I to understand that I'm trapped in the Painted World until I beat it? I think I'm too low level and I'm not doing much to hurt anything in here.

sizerp
Dec 3, 2003
t3h pwn

a foolish pianist posted:

They might like it anyway. The last game I played seriously was Diablo 2, but I got a little taste of Demons' Souls, then bought a PS3 last month just for Demons/Dark Souls.

I also got a couple of other things - Space Marine, Ninja Gaiden, Heavy Rain - but I haven't so much as opened the boxes since Dark Souls came out.

Ha. I actually just bought my PS3 for this game as well - along with, yes, Demon's Souls, Heavy Rain, and the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus HD Repack.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

nauggins posted:

So, am I to understand that I'm trapped in the Painted World until I beat it? I think I'm too low level and I'm not doing much to hurt anything in here.
There are relatively few things that you have to kill, and you don't have to kill the boss either, you just have to get to her room alive.

The hardest part will be flipping the switch down in the sewers, I hope you are good at dodging skeleton wheels.

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

nauggins posted:

You can leave if you go through Priscilla's door and out the other side. You don't have to engage her after you go through her fog door.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

So every time I run up to Kingseeker Frampt with 0 humanity, a black fog is absorbed into my head, and I gain +1 humanity (the counter, not the item). What the hell?

nauggins
Jun 26, 2009

it's big money postin' baby boy

Samurai Sanders posted:

There are relatively few things that you have to kill, and you don't have to kill the boss either, you just have to get to her room alive.

The hardest part will be flipping the switch down in the sewers, I hope you are good at dodging skeleton wheels.

Awesome. If I just cheese it out of here, can I come back later or is this my only chance? I'd like to come back a bit later and clear the place out.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Volitaire posted:

No, they all have to be obtained on one character.
Holy gently caress, are you serious? So for Black Knight drops I have to just keep doing New Game+ and hope for the best? I hope you're screwing with me.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

LukeyBoy posted:

Holy gently caress, are you serious? So for Black Knight drops I have to just keep doing New Game+ and hope for the best? I hope you're screwing with me.

The black knights respawn in the final area and they drop all of their weapons.

ericthebear
Mar 4, 2011
Why does it have to be so time consuming just to get summoned? Let's see, in Way of the White, so I should be getting preference with them/Warriors/Princesses. I'm 25 at Depths bonfire before the Gaping....and nooooobody. :cry:

Edit: oh and on xbox, maybe I'll run up to Capra

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

LukeyBoy posted:

Well the Black Knight drops can be farmed pretty easily in the final area but it will take at least till NG++ for the three items made with Sif's soul.

E: I looked at the list and it seems that none of the required items are super rare drops (aka a non-guaranteed drop from a non-respawning enemy) so you don't have to worry about fighting the RNG too much.

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 22, 2011

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
Two questions:

If you help someone cut off the tail of a boss for a weapon, you don't get it as well do you?

And if you attack Priscilla, is she hostile each time you enter? And if so, can you just run and jump off to leave anyway?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
^^: The answer to your first question is no.

ericthebear posted:

Why does it have to be so time consuming just to get summoned? Let's see, in Way of the White, so I should be getting preference with them/Warriors/Princesses. I'm 25 at Depths bonfire before the Gaping....and nooooobody. :cry:
Hey, that was exactly my situation! I was averaging 70 minutes per summon. I wandered down to Blighttown, and I had some rapidfire Quelaag summons, but now it's dropped off.

I'm pretty sure those covenants only give priority within the same covenant, not within the same "aligned" covenants, partially because the alignments are unofficial.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

So I was going through Sens fortress and made an unpleasant discovery: a corpse in the cage that's supposed to hold Big Hat Logan. Is there any way to unfuck this?

ericthebear
Mar 4, 2011

Elysiume posted:

^^: The answer to your first question is no.
Hey, that was exactly my situation! I was averaging 70 minutes per summon. I wandered down to Blighttown, and I had some rapidfire Quelaag summons, but now it's dropped off.

I'm pretty sure those covenants only give priority within the same covenant, not within the same "aligned" covenants, partially because the alignments are unofficial.

Future Press guide says each of the Warriors of Sunlight, Princess's Guard and Way of the White give priority matching to all three. Could be wrong I guess, can't really test something like that.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
The PSN's recent players thing used to work with Demon's Souls, but it doesn't with Dark Souls. Does anyone know why? I wanted to thank these two cool dudes for leading my dumb onion head self around Anor Londo but I can't remember their names. :(

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

sizerp posted:

Fought down to the end of the 'Tomb of the Giants' only to walk into a gold portal at the end. gently caress me.

The same thing happened to me the first time i went through that hellish place and barely surviving to get out.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Roumba posted:

The PSN's recent players thing used to work with Demon's Souls, but it doesn't with Dark Souls. Does anyone know why? I wanted to thank these two cool dudes for leading my dumb onion head self around Anor Londo but I can't remember their names. :(

It works for me v:shobon:v

I like to send people thanks too.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

So someone I know joined the Darkwraith Covenant and got a +5 Lightning Uchi at level 8 and is invading people in Undeadburg. This is why I never play in human form.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Roumba posted:

That's weird. The two people that have summoned me as a phantom have both appeared in my recent list, but the guy who invaded me as a black phantom didn't. I just assumed that was how it worked but maybe it's just unreliable.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

waspinator posted:

Good luck with this!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

im a girl btw posted:

That's weird. The two people that have summoned me as a phantom have both appeared in my recent list, but the guy who invaded me as a black phantom didn't. I just assumed that was how it worked but maybe it's just unreliable.
I'm 360, but at least for me anyone recent shows up underneath my friends. I actually deleted some friends (the ones who I can't remember who they are) so I can see my recent groups more easily.

ericthebear posted:

Future Press guide says each of the Warriors of Sunlight, Princess's Guard and Way of the White give priority matching to all three. Could be wrong I guess, can't really test something like that.
Oh, that'd be news to me. I don't have the guide, so I'll defer to it on the grounds of it apparently being super rad. I quite honestly just want to maximize my co-op'ing. I'll probably join Warriors of Sunlight because I really want to be gloriously incandescent.

What's the best chest-piece that is lightweight that isn't Gold Hemmed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

So someone I know joined the Darkwraith Covenant and got a +5 Lightning Uchi at level 8 and is invading people in Undeadburg. This is why I never play in human form.

The weird thing about doing that is that invasions are not limited by level. I've had several people who couldn't have been past level 10 (because they had under 600 HP) invade me in Undead Burg... as I was going through it in NG+ or NG++. It didn't go over too well for them.

• Locked thread