Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Bows are really only useful for sniping or pulling. Their damage is kind of crap to be used in combat (especially since you have to two-hand them).

Sounds like a playthrough challenge if you ask me. :colbert:

All Bow playthrough, who's with me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Hell Diver posted:

Which key is it that opens the door in the Asylum? I want to go grab that ring before hitting Blighttown, but I can't remember where I got it with my other character.
The master key. :unsmigghh:

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011

Elysiume posted:

It seems longer, and it the animation is way, way longer, for what it's worth. I was chilling near the AO bonfire before O&S, just parrying the 4 convenient Silver Knights, and I ended up using the parrying dagger because it seemed a lot easier to parry with.

I am gonna try with the parrying dagger in some PVP tonight to see against a real person. I realize I am gonna get killed a bunch messing up, but I hate long PVP bouts anyways.

Can you parry the sweeping attack by those silver knights with the spear? I can't find the timing for that at all.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mr. Wookums posted:

Roof on the way to the nest.

Thanks, got it.

In other news, I picked up Pharis' hat this playthrough and now I don't feel like wearing anything else. It's jaunty as hell. Does it have any additional effects or is it just a crappy but stylish hat?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

In Demon's Souls invaders had half the HP as the host though, so it didn't matter if both sides could heal because the host still had a health advantage. At most, they could get 75% of their total HP, and that meant using up a ring slot. Plus, I'm fairly sure that in Demon's Souls, dying as an invader meant you lost all your souls. Of course if you had zero souls that was no loss, but still, it's something. You lose literally nothing in Dark Souls if you lose as an invader - the only "loss" is that you didn't get anything for your cracked eye orb. You still use up the item if you win, or just fail to invade anyone, though, so that's hardly a punishment for failure. Invaders risk nothing to invade and can get a bundle of souls and a point of humanity out of the deal. Hosts can get the humanity and souls, but they also risk hollowing and having to fight back from the bonfire again if they lose. The risk/reward structure is out of whack because the only person who risks anything is the person who doesn't get to choose whether or not to participate.
In DeS any invader worth their salt used Cling Ring/Foe's Ring. Trading 25% health for 25% damage is pretty even. You lose a small portion of your souls when you lose an invasion, but if you don't have any on you you won't lose them. So you can kill yourself, not pick up your bloodstain and invade away without any repercussion. The invader risk/reward is very generous in both games. I'd say you lose a little more in DaS actually. In DeS when you respawn right where you left off and can immediately start looking for another match. In DaS you start back at the bonfire and have to run your rear end back to the invasion spot.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Trying to flask in front of an invader is basically just begging to get backstabbed. Rolling away only works if they're slower than you are - and when you're wearing heavy armour, nobody is slower than you are. Only having one health bar doesn't encourage aggressive play, it encourages DEFENSIVE play, because you can't afford to take damage. It means the phantom just keeps hiding behind mobs all day. It's not as if they aren't difficult enough to deal with on their own, when you don't have to worry about someone charging in and backstabbing you for 80% of your health because you had the gall to try to attack something.
Look even though heavy armor is pretty good in PvE its still not viable in PvP. Or rather its viable, but you need the right balance of poise and weight. Basically if you're not using the Darkwood ring or tranquil walk of peace, expect to get backstabbed because other people use them a lot. Also if you're slower than them that's allowing them to break off the engagement and run behind enemies.

Now in a 1v1 engagement, the guy who can't heal better be aggressive against the guy who can because he's obviously not going to win the battle of attrition. That's what I meant by playing offensively. Now if a guy is going to just never engage you and hide behind enemies, well he would do that even if he had a pocket full of grass. He doesn't want to fight, he just wants an easy win. That's just the nature of the game and FROM practically encourages it.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

stephelopholus posted:

I am gonna try with the parrying dagger in some PVP tonight to see against a real person. I realize I am gonna get killed a bunch messing up, but I hate long PVP bouts anyways.

Can you parry the sweeping attack by those silver knights with the spear? I can't find the timing for that at all.
Yeah, but I still mess it up a lot. I think (at least with the dagger) I need to hit parry when it's straight behind them ±10 degrees or something. It's really precise.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I honestly have a harder time parrying with the dagger than anything else. The animation is just weird and its hard to tell when the window of opportunity is.

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011
gently caress, all my easy humanity grab spots are gone; I'm going to have to grab one in the depths. gently caress you darkwraiths. gently caress you.

Edit: I'm at the door with all Wraiths dead in human form, Eric, if you're already here and have signed i can try relogging.

satsui no thankyou fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 23, 2011

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Ok so I need some weapon advice, I'm still using the Drake sword but I'd like to switch up, I'm at SL31, just made it to blighttown.

I have a huge variety of weapons, one handers, 2 knight swords, the gargoyle tale axe, the sword from those big rear end statues that slow you down, the channelers staff.

What should I be upgrading? I like fast weapons but I have the stats to wield some of the huge ones.

Pretty much anything you can upgrade with normal titanite instead of dragon scales or twinkling titanite will work fine. Except maybe fist weapons and whips. Pick whatever you like. A simple broadsword upgraded all the way is every bit as good as any other endgame weapon.

If you want some suggestions, Claymores are pretty popular due to their decent damage and good moveset. Zweihanders are also pretty common, as they can annihilate anything in seconds, though they do leave you open. If you want something quicker, I really like the the movesets of the longsword and uchigatana.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vargs posted:

Pretty much anything you can upgrade with normal titanite instead of dragon scales or twinkling titanite will work fine. Except maybe fist weapons and whips. Pick whatever you like. A simple broadsword upgraded all the way is every bit as good as any other endgame weapon.

If you want some suggestions, Claymores are pretty popular due to their decent damage and good moveset. Zweihanders are also pretty common, as they can annihilate anything in seconds, though they do leave you open. If you want something quicker, I really like the the movesets of the longsword and uchigatana.

Would something like a longsword eventually need large titanite shards or would it be just be regular titanite, I ask since my armor has reached the point that i needs large shards to be upgraded, if not I'll get started upgrading something.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Alteisen posted:

Would something like a longsword eventually need large titanite shards or would it be just be regular titanite, I ask since my armor has reached the point that i needs large shards to be upgraded, if not I'll get started upgrading something.
Weapons (if going on the normal upgrade path) take 1/1/2/2/3 titanite shards, 1/1/2/2/3 large titanite shards, and I think 1/1/2/2 titanite chunks and then 1 titanite slab.

Armor is 1/2/3 shard 1/2/3 large shard 1/2/3 chunk 1 slab (?).

RADmadness
Feb 17, 2011
I see tonnes of people here complain about no humanity but I literally have never had that problem. I'm usually rolling with 1 or 2 and ~15 in solid form as random drops. You should try walking to your destination instead of teleporting and you will probably get some humanity on the way. Also a rael cheap spot would be the 5 rats near the greataxe past the bonfire in the depths. You can 1 hit the entire bunch with a +3 halberd then walk back to the bonfire 30 seconds away to respawn them. It's a pretty abundant resource and in an area where you are trying to kill the boss you should be getting it by the boatload. Maybe I'm unnaturally lucky.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Should I give my copper/silver/gold coins to frampt for souls or save them?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Schroeder91 posted:

Should I give my copper/silver/gold coins to frampt for souls or save them?
I've heard that's their only use.

Do you need to be in the forest for Alvina to summon you?

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

cyberbug posted:

In Demons Souls the NPCs didn't get hostile from just one hit, they just told you to quit that poo poo (or did they all?). I once stabbed the witch girl accidentally and she just stood up and said "Why?" sounding like I had just stomped her kitten to death. I guess the game designers thought that this was too lenient...

It depends on the strength of the attack. If you only do a few damage to them, they won't get mad, but if you hit them with your +5 lightning zweihander, they'll definitely get pissed at you. I accidentally shield bashed Andre for like 20 damage and he just told me to knock it off.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

RADmadness posted:

I see tonnes of people here complain about no humanity but I literally have never had that problem. I'm usually rolling with 1 or 2 and ~15 in solid form as random drops. You should try walking to your destination instead of teleporting and you will probably get some humanity on the way. Also a rael cheap spot would be the 5 rats near the greataxe past the bonfire in the depths. You can 1 hit the entire bunch with a +3 halberd then walk back to the bonfire 30 seconds away to respawn them. It's a pretty abundant resource and in an area where you are trying to kill the boss you should be getting it by the boatload. Maybe I'm unnaturally lucky.

Outside of helping people, killing invaders, or starting a new area (before you kill a boss you can get up to 10 humanity from any random kill); there isn't a steady stream of it. It sounds like you're lucky.

The normal drop rate for humanity off of rats and baby skeletons is in the "rare" category. There's 7 categories and rare is ranked as number 6. With 400 in Item Find, I average about 1 humanity in ~30-50 kills and I consider that to be reasonable.

Edit:

Sacrificial Toast posted:

It depends on the strength of the attack. If you only do a few damage to them, they won't get mad, but if you hit them with your +5 lightning zweihander, they'll definitely get pissed at you. I accidentally shield bashed Andre for like 20 damage and he just told me to knock it off.

Kicking them also stirs them up too. Unless you kick them off a cliff by mistake. :ohdear:

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 23, 2011

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Mayor McCheese posted:

The normal drop rate for humanity off of rats and baby skeletons is in the "rare" category. There's 7 categories and rare is ranked as number 6. With 400 in Item Find, I average about 1 humanity in ~30-50 kills and I consider that to be reasonable.
What's category 7?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Elysiume posted:

What's category 7?

According the guide you have:
  • Guaranteed Drops
  • Common Drops
  • Semi Common Drops
  • Semi Rare Drops
  • Quite Rare Drops
  • Rare Drops
  • Very Rare Drops

7 would be your slabs for the most part.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Has anyone else had problems with their esus flasks not working during the final boss?

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011
Got impatient, summoned Beatrice, put on my ring and went through the door; Went to drop off the first ledge, clipped the third and died.

gently caress.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Mr. Wookums posted:

Have you killed the hydra in the gardens?

You need to kill that, let the hydra kill the golems around it, slice a few of the heads and magic the hard to get ones. Then you need to reset the game by bonfire or maybe a save/load will work and go to the back of the lake and kill the gold golem. After doing that, buy the new catalyst and once again reload the game. Go back to where you killed the gold golem and pick up the antiquated set, it makes your poo poo go boom more. Buy the 20k ring for an extra 20%.

I made a pure sorc and by focusing on getting gear first I have only died to capra and stray when I was swung at immediately after landing.

The Hydra is a low level boss? I got once-shotted whenever I tried to get near it so I figured it was a later game thing. Argh.

Oh well, switched back to my melee guy and decided to take a break from the Ambiguously Gay Duo at the end of Anor Londo to mop of other things I've ignored. Take that Moonlight Butterfly!

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

Has anyone else had problems with their esus flasks not working during the final boss?

Only insofar as whenever I tried to drink from it, he'd probably stab me for just as much damage as I healed.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

GreenAcidRage posted:

Got impatient, summoned Beatrice, put on my ring and went through the door; Went to drop off the first ledge, clipped the third and died.

gently caress.

I used to jump right off until that happened to me. No more.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've been reading this thread since the game came out, so I'd heard about those two snipers with the huge bows in Anor Londo. Everyone hated them, much like everyone hated the Capra Demon. I didn't have much trouble with Capra at all, so I thought to myself, "it won't be that bad."

gently caress. If only.

I'm at least fifteen deaths in at this point. I've lost multiple blood stains, probably totaling 50k in souls. I know for a fact I've lost at least five humanity. Usually it doesn't bother me, but this one area has me in such a state.

I'd be one thing if the bonfire were closer, but it is not. It's a long haul there. :(

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Helping people kill the gargoyles with my fully upgraded pyromancy flame is surprisingly fun. I dropped my lightning spear for the last guy I phantomed for, I hope he realizes how strong it is :3:

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Yodzilla posted:

The Hydra is a low level boss? I got once-shotted whenever I tried to get near it so I figured it was a later game thing. Argh.

Oh well, switched back to my melee guy and decided to take a break from the Ambiguously Gay Duo at the end of Anor Londo to mop of other things I've ignored. Take that Moonlight Butterfly!

Try to avoid his water beams, getting hit by more than one of them will kill most people so don't feel too bad about that. Once you're close enough to him he will start doing his bite attack(s). He has two variations on these, one where all the heads will try to hit you, and another will all the heads will attack spread out in front of it.

The shore-line to the left of the Hydra cuts in pretty far and this is where I typically fight it. Finally every Hydra has a few blind spots where it can't hit where you stand appropriate to its body, once you find a place where it's safe in melee range, chances are you'll be safe for the rest of the fight.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

quote:

I'm at least fifteen deaths in at this point. I've lost multiple blood stains, probably totaling 50k in souls. I know for a fact I've lost at least five humanity. Usually it doesn't bother me, but this one area has me in such a state.

I'd be one thing if the bonfire were closer, but it is not. It's a long haul there.

Deal with the lightning gargoyle things and then just book it up the first ramp. The arrows will NOT hit you if you're sprinting (most of the time). Take the left path as the second sniper cannot hit you. The book it up the second ramp. When you reach the top, keep your shield up to absorb a hit, and then roll or run forward so the knight switches to melee. Back up so he falls off and then book it around the corner as the other sniper has a small window to nail you in the back until you get around the corner.

Good luck.

Cake Attack posted:

I dropped my lightning spear for the last guy I phantomed for, I hope he realizes how strong it is :3:

Generous, but probably not the best idea.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Just picked up this game recently and I think I'm in love.

I've played Demon's Souls so I started as a Deprived. Made the early game super difficult, but it was totally worth it. However, I'm playing as a heavy melee dude, so I haven't been able to find any good armour - I look like a total weirdo running around in Balder helmet and leggings with undead soldier armour.

So far I've rang the first bell, returned to the Northern Undead Asylum and killed the boss in the Catacombs. I've pumped enough into my strength to rock my zweihander +4 one-handed with a black knight shield, and I've just started exploring the Depths.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
It doesn't seem like making either strength or dex your primary damage stat matters much in this one beyond dictating what you can wield. It seems like stat scaling was toned down a lot(few weapons with an A, very few with an S), and a bunch of upgrade paths remove it entirely.

Is that an accurate assessment?

After getting a character to 40 dex and not noticing much if any difference - I'm seriously considering making either int or faith my third stat because of that, even though I've never much liked spells, and making a much more balanced character than I would have in Demons's Souls

Also is there an equivalent to the Talisman of Beasts in this one?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Buffer posted:

It doesn't seem like making either strength or dex your primary damage stat matters much in this one beyond dictating what you can wield. It seems like stat scaling was toned down a lot(few weapons with an A, very few with an S), and a bunch of upgrade paths remove it entirely.

After getting a character to 40 dex and not noticing much if any difference - I'm seriously considering making either int or faith my third stat because of that, even though I've never much liked spells, and making a much more balanced character than I would have in Demons's Souls

You're pretty much right on. If you want to play a melee characters, ideally you want Dex and Str to be at whatever the prereqs for the gear you want are, and then pump the rest into Vit and End, with maybe a couple of points elsewhere (like in attunement for Pyromancy and Iron flesh).

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

ConfusedUs posted:

I'd be one thing if the bonfire were closer, but it is not. It's a long haul there. :(

I hated these guys. The key for me was to not block as that's what I typically do when it comes to archers.

As The.GreyWolf said, tricking the one on the right into melee seems to be the best strategy. I wish I knew that at the time.

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

I've been reading this thread since the game came out, so I'd heard about those two snipers with the huge bows in Anor Londo. Everyone hated them, much like everyone hated the Capra Demon. I didn't have much trouble with Capra at all, so I thought to myself, "it won't be that bad."

gently caress. If only.

I had a horrible time with this as well. I could never get the the knights to fall off and eventually became an expert at killing the gargoyles. To do it without relying on the knights falling off, I sprinted all the way up and took on the one to the left first. The slanted walkways are a bit wider than the ledges, plus you will be protected from the other archer. You have enough room to maneuver to fight him normally. After that you can pick up the item there (can't remember what it is, just a soul of some sort I believe). Then you can handle the other archer solo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

NESguerilla posted:

If you get hit while your health bar is refilling it instantly stops doing so and you take damage as well, it might be that.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

ConfusedUs posted:

gently caress. If only.

But getting there is half of the fun! If it's any consolation once you get past that ledge the rest of Anor Londo is actually really cool and really easy...until you get to the boss(es). Have fun with them!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Samuel L. Chan posted:

If I take the shortcut to Gaping in The Depths am I missing out on much (other than horrible death by curse frogs)? I really really do not want to deal with The Depths after having a slime almost kill me for grabbing a soul. Also I'm SL 21 and will probably have my sign down for Gaping here soon if anyone needs some help, trying to get into Warriors of Sunlight here.

e: probably should spoiler some of that

The frogs are just plain easy souls as long as you're smart enough to stay out of their loving obvious curse smoke, and there's a shitload of rats that drop the occasional humanity. That one slime you mentioned is pretty much the only one that can drop down on you like that. There's a nice farmable load of them right near the area's bonfire that are prime for Titanite farming. Plus there's the Ring of the Evil Eye, which restores HP every time you kill something.

So yeah, you're missing just a little bit!

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I thought I was going to have to fight Quelana in the swamp earlier, I was upgrading my flame and suddenly we both got smashed by a rock thrown by one of those giants near Quelaag's domain, I must have accidentally aggroed him. She springs to her feet and whips out her flame and I think it's going to be on but she doesn't attack me or say anything. I kill the enemy and fortunately she wasn't mad at all. I wonder if the game actually recognized that it wasn't me that hit her, or if it just takes more to aggro her.

Also I got through the Tomb of Giants earlier with surprisingly few problems. I comically died almost immediately due to falling but with Cast Light on hand I didn't have any trouble seeing and could keep all of my normal gear equipped. I also remembered seeing complaints that you have to take fall damage to reach Nito so I packed Fall Control as well so as not to waste a flask. He ended up being easy though (also one of my favorite boss designs), the only thing I couldn't get was the timing on when to dodge his ground stab but it didn't hurt very much. I just wish it was easier to get back down there to farm.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Buffer posted:

Not only are there very few weapons that scale well but yes, there isn't much return in investing in strength/dex because the game doesn't even give a good bonus to things that scale well anyway. For example, my B strength battle axe only gets one additional point in damage for each point in strength, which is the same exact bonus it gets if I put a point in dex, even though it has E rank scaling on that. That's really stupid if you ask me!

Why FROM....why? :negative:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Gwyn is one cheap piece of poo poo. Can this game just end already?

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

Gwyn is one cheap piece of poo poo. Can this game just end already?

He's weak to fire if you've got a good fire weapon to use. Iron Flesh works wonders as well. Also, all of his melee swings can be parried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sacrificial Toast posted:

He's weak to fire if you've got a good fire weapon to use. Iron Flesh works wonders as well. Also, all of his melee swings can be parried.

You can parry his grab too, sort of. You don't set him up for a riposte but he doesn't grab you if you do it right.

• Locked thread