Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

I'm not sure if what you're describing is the same as the problem I had with my iMac, but I had a problem with dust getting sucked into my iMac when the fans kicked up under load. I started getting black/grey spots under the glass and it drove me berserk. I took it in and they fixed it under Applecare (coincidentally they eventually replaced it because the graphic card fried itself a few times).
Hm, well it's good to know they fixed the dust issue. I'm pretty sure its condensation as it only really shows up when my iMac goes from hot to cold really fast. The annoying part is that even though most of it disappears it leaves some small marks behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003

passionate dongs posted:

Hm, well it's good to know they fixed the dust issue. I'm pretty sure its condensation as it only really shows up when my iMac goes from hot to cold really fast. The annoying part is that even though most of it disappears it leaves some small marks behind.

Do you have a humidifier or something? I live in a goddamned swamp (DC) and haven't seen condensation.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

Do you have a humidifier or something? I live in a goddamned swamp (DC) and haven't seen condensation.
No humidifier, but it's been hot and I live right next to a large body of water.

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003

passionate dongs posted:

No humidifier, but it's been hot and I live right next to a large body of water.
Wow. Well at the bare minimum I would start documenting it with the Applecare phone people because of how crazy Apple is about water damage.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

Wow. Well at the bare minimum I would start documenting it with the Applecare phone people because of how crazy Apple is about water damage.

:phone: Hello, I just wanted to inform you I'm getting water condensa-
:phoneb: [laughing] *click*

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003
Yeah I don't even know what the gently caress.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

lord funk posted:

:phone: Hello, I just wanted to inform you I'm getting water condensa-
:phoneb: [laughing] *click*
A fair amount of people seem to be having similar issues and some are even calling it a "manufacturer defect" while getting stuff replaced under applecare. I'll fully admit that my apartment just sucks and that I should keep my windows closed more often. Some people have even said that they have shower-door levels of condensation. Mine is just like someone breathed on the screen.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I would get some rice and put it under the intake fans (in a pretty bowl or something) to avoid the inevitable warranty issues it would cause. That water is probably slowly corroding all the metal parts inside already.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

passionate dongs posted:

Same thing happens to my 24" iMac. Apple won't do anything about it. Nothing happens to my 27" iMac though. They are in different rooms and the temperatures don't feel that different. Condensation is definitely the problem. I thought it was dust at first.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 19, 2011

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Can the dust issue be fixed by taking off the front glass and blowing around in there? I've got minor clotting in the corner of my screen and while it doesn't bother me that much it'd be nice to know that it's fixable when it comes resale time.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Can the dust issue be fixed by taking off the front glass and blowing around in there? I've got minor clotting in the corner of my screen and while it doesn't bother me that much it'd be nice to know that it's fixable when it comes resale time.

Taking off the front glass is absolutely trivial (while taking care to follow the first couple of steps in the ifixit guide for your own peace of mind), however the LCD panel within is so snug and flush that there is no room to "blow around" it without removing it and lifting it out, which is much less trivial due to the weight and gently connected cables. If the condensation thing was happening to me I would absolutely follow the disassembly guide and remove enough parts that I was sure moisture wasn't hiding, then maybe let it air out in a dry place.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
If I want to replace the disc drive of my late-2006 MacBook with a hard drive, can I just use a cheap caddy from eBay? The original OptiBay seems insanely overpriced.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

echobucket posted:

I figured I might have to leave it overnight and pick it up the next day... I guess it depends on how busy they are.

What's weird about this drive is that the SMART status in System Profiler shows "Verified", only this utility shows FAILING. I also tried a copy of Drive Genius and it scanned the drive and it shows bad sectors too.

I guess the morale of this is don't trust the SMART status in System Profiler.
I think System Profiler is just reporting what SMART is saying about the basic state of the drive...which is mostly useless as you have just found out. SMART Utility looks at all the various SMART reported numbers and has its own criteria to determine whether a drive is failing or not. In your case iirc the ones it pointed out as failing were the particularly bad ones, so it was a safe assumption yours was going down. I had a drive that showed failing in some other metric but worked fine for years.

Aardark posted:

If I want to replace the disc drive of my late-2006 MacBook with a hard drive, can I just use a cheap caddy from eBay? The original OptiBay seems insanely overpriced.
As long as the measurements and interfaces are right for your machine any caddy should work.

flongofthenight
Aug 2, 2003

sup?

japtor posted:

I think System Profiler is just reporting what SMART is saying about the basic state of the drive...which is mostly useless as you have just found out. SMART Utility looks at all the various SMART reported numbers and has its own criteria to determine whether a drive is failing or not. In your case iirc the ones it pointed out as failing were the particularly bad ones, so it was a safe assumption yours was going down. I had a drive that showed failing in some other metric but worked fine for years.

As long as the measurements and interfaces are right for your machine any caddy should work.

I have the same model; although different model caddy (it was around $10 as well). It's been working fine now for about 3-4 months, the only problem is that occasionally when waking from sleep or turning on, the HD drive is missing and can't be mounted. A restart fixes that though. Apart from that, works fine :)

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I have a 13" MBP and am moving into an office envionment, instead of working from home. I want to use my laptop all the time and am wondering the best solution. Do I get a stand and plug a second monitor, keyboard and mouse into it? Do I get a Henge Dock and 2 Monitors? (presumably I would need a thunderbolt Monitor for the second which is £££) or is there another solution I am missing? Can i plug 2 normal monitors into the mini-display port?

I need to be able to remove my laptop at night as another employee will be sitting there over night.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
You don't need a stand unless your just really want a fancy place to put the MBP, or there's no where else to put it I guess, that's just a matter of space available and wiring.

For dual display with the 2011 MBP's there's the Thunderbolt Display, and otherwise this thing...but I don't think I've actually seen that one on sale yet. There's also stuff like the Matrox boxes that split up the single video signal over multiple displays or USB video adapters but those aren't really ideal.

If you don't need dual display just clear out a place for the computer and run the cables to there and secure them with tape/zip ties/whatever, leaving some slack for whatever other computers that will be used there.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Is there any reason why my two day old 13" MBA might be taking an eternity to open iTunes? I'm talking 20 seconds plus here. Could it be the fact that I have home sharing with a large library enabled? If so, why, if iTunes isn't opening straight into it?

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I am looking to get another smaller (96gb+) ssd. Really like the Kingston SSDNow V+100 I got (for about $90 AR), but nothing seems to be popping up.

Almost tempted to do a Vertex 2, (120gb for $119 AR), but the horror stories are stopping me...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Newegg has a shellshocker right now.
http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=ShellShocker-_-20-233-191-_-10202011_2
ForceGT 120gb for $155AR.

Ps. Thank god newegg has a shellshocker on 8gb of 1066 in about an hour here.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Sonic Dude posted:

It sounds like you called up and were angry/aggressive, and got stonewalled. Try again but realize you have to make the person on the other end want to give you an exception rather than do the bare minimum and say "nope, it's repair time."

Hey, looks like you were right. He called the Customer Relations lady again himself and tried to sound as disappointed and pitiful as possible (being young probably helps) and she finally offered a full refund. Thanks!

(And now my Mac Mini, which has been in for hardware replacement twice now, has begun kernel panicking again. Will this ever end?)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BlackMK4 posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=ShellShocker-_-20-233-191-_-10202011_2

How much RAM do you have allocated for that VM? Knock it down a bit.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
1500MB, it's Windows 7.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Choadmaster posted:

(And now my Mac Mini, which has been in for hardware replacement twice now, has begun kernel panicking again. Will this ever end?)

What kind of mini?

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

BlackMK4 posted:

Well I bought the Force GT, let's hope it works well.

I also got some 1333 mushkin ram 2x4gb, $34.99 after rebate, cheaper than the shell shocker...

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Isn't the Force GT another SandForce drive waiting to blow up? :tinfoil:

(there should be a recent firmware update for it though)

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

japtor posted:

Isn't the Force GT another SandForce drive waiting to blow up? :tinfoil:

(there should be a recent firmware update for it though)

Yeah this is true, but probably still better than ocz.

As far as firmware, I'd have to boot camp windows 7, and not even sure that will work. Let's hope it comes with new firmware.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

The refurbished i5 13" 2011 MBP is now $999, down from $1019

Makes me think that that minor speed bump refresh rumor is legit and likely to happen soon?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
What are my options to give my old 2007 2.2Ghz 2GB RAM MacPro some more life? Do they still even make RAM for this model or even a hard drive? I've filled it completely to the brim and that's after moving my music and old files onto a backup drive. I need to keep it going until I find a job that actually pays me enough for some extra change. I'm still pretty happy with it, but the speed is really starting to get to me, especially when working in CS5.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

cheese eats mouse posted:

What are my options to give my old 2007 2.2Ghz 2GB RAM MacPro some more life? Do they still even make RAM for this model or even a hard drive? I've filled it completely to the brim and that's after moving my music and old files onto a backup drive. I need to keep it going until I find a job that actually pays me enough for some extra change. I'm still pretty happy with it, but the speed is really starting to get to me, especially when working in CS5.

You could get a big SSD to use as your main boot drive and/or your CS5 scratch drive.

RAM isn't a problem; I wasn't quite sure which system you have, but it should take DDR2, with a max of 4GB per slot, or 32GB total. Since most computers now use DDR3, DDR2 will likely be pricier for you if you really want to keep the upgrades going. If you can find some cheap RAM, though, this and a decent SSD will give you a good bit more life if you're otherwise happy with the current performance levels.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
This girl I know has a liquid damaged 2.4ghz C2D 13" MBP and I asked her to bring it over for me to look at. She said that it worked for a few days after it got wet in a backpack until it stopped charging and then obviously died. I tried plugging the thing in and the power adapter light doesn't come on.

I opened it up and there was a tiny bit of corrosion on the magsafe board but nothing otherwise or major. I offered $100 for the thing and she turned me down - how much should I be willing to offer on it? I'm assuming I can just swap the magsafe board but who knows.
http://www.powerbookmedic.com/MacBook-Pro-13-MagSafe-Board-p-18057.html

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

BlackMK4 posted:

This girl I know has a liquid damaged 2.4ghz C2D 13" MBP and I asked her to bring it over for me to look at. She said that it worked for a few days after it got wet in a backpack until it stopped charging and then obviously died. I tried plugging the thing in and the power adapter light doesn't come on.

I opened it up and there was a tiny bit of corrosion on the magsafe board but nothing otherwise or major. I offered $100 for the thing and she turned me down - how much should I be willing to offer on it? I'm assuming I can just swap the magsafe board but who knows.
http://www.powerbookmedic.com/MacBook-Pro-13-MagSafe-Board-p-18057.html

Isn't there a flat rate repair fee for MBPs? That's kind of a low ball all things considered, IMO.

Actually now that I think about it that "flat rate" might be on the order of $1000 or something.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Sorry! This is more a software question.

bassguitarhero fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 22, 2011

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

illcendiary posted:

Isn't there a flat rate repair fee for MBPs? That's kind of a low ball all things considered, IMO.

Actually now that I think about it that "flat rate" might be on the order of $1000 or something.

Flat rate repair they were offered was $800. :v:

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Got a thunderbolt cable, hooked up MBP to iMac, works great.

Only issue, is logitech keyboard won't do Command - F2 to switch iMac to target display mode. Regular Apple keyboard will.

Can I write an applescript or something that will send that key press? I guess even if I do that, how do I undo it then (unless I make a macro -> applescript thing and bind it to a key?)

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

What kind of mini?

2010 model, why? The issue appears to be Bluetooth related (it goes down after my keyboard/mouse start going wonky), but last time they replaced the bluetooth/airport board as well as the logic board and it still seems to be happening. And of course it's not easily reproducible...

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Want a crazy deal on an iMac? Today's your lucky day! :shobon:

(Sorry to link my SA mart thread twice, but wanted to get some extra visibility after the price cut)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I have a white macbook, 2009 I think (before the re-design) and the trackpad button is starting to drive me nuts. It seems to kinda stick or take a too uch pressure to push, and makes a stuck clicky sound when it does press. Not sure if there's something under it or what. Is there a way to clean it or check to see if it's hosed up?

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

Levitate posted:

I have a white macbook, 2009 I think (before the re-design) and the trackpad button is starting to drive me nuts. It seems to kinda stick or take a too uch pressure to push, and makes a stuck clicky sound when it does press. Not sure if there's something under it or what. Is there a way to clean it or check to see if it's hosed up?

Does it or the trackpad look raised/pushed up at all? I noticed button troubles, as well as odd trackpad issues when the battery on my Macbooks has swollen. Take a peek and see if that might be causing your problem.

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust
I have a last generation 5i Macbook Air, and fans seem to constantly be running at audible speeds. Under regular use, with iTunes, a browser, few text editors and a terminal running, CPU usage hovers around 5%, and the CPU temperature hovers around 75C, which is enough to kick the fans up to 5500-6000RPM. Are the fans kicking in sooner than they should (in other words, should they be running audibly at 75C?), or is my machine running hotter than it should? It's just sitting on a desk, with nothing covering the vents.

Should I be contacting Apple, or is there something I can do myself?

edit:

Levitate posted:

This is a common problem. I experienced the exact same thing with my late '06 Macbook Pro, and I've heard a few other people complain about the same thing. Unfortunately, I don't know of a solution, and I just learned to live with it (the problem would intermittently go away).

Cockwhore fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Glad I decided to wait on buying a MacBook Pro. Apparently a new refresh is coming out imminently.