Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drake Lake posted:

Considered doing the whole shebang, but no. I'll probably just do Main Street.

Sorry, but... what is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Orca
Aug 30, 2011

MikeJF posted:

It looks like the main gate to disneyland http://homepage.mac.com/juanwilson/islandbreath/2009Year/2009-04/090402disneyland.jpg

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

MikeJF posted:

The front entrance of Main Street, USA.

edit: God loving damnit

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Evil Orca posted:

It looks like the main gate to disneyland http://homepage.mac.com/juanwilson/islandbreath/2009Year/2009-04/090402disneyland.jpg
I knew he had the towers switched!
I used to go to Disneyland like once a year. Didn't someone make Splash Mountain in Minecraft already?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I can't remember if the last one was posted in the Modding thread or this one, but that Ultimate Miner "gameshow" have updated with a new video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfZv4YKlSh4

I think it is very interesting. (And yes, I'd love to see someone like the Yogscast try to tackle it)

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vib Rib posted:

I used to go to Disneyland like once a year. Didn't someone make Splash Mountain in Minecraft already?
I don't know about Splash Mountain, but I know someone's done Space Mountain, and the Haunted Mansion(which was loving awesome.)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Vib Rib posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&src_vid=LXInB1Hp2bk&annotation_id=annotation_534404&v=PdhNoccIQ6Y#t=25s

Pick a ride!

The haunted mansion is pretty amazing. They're all their own thing since they all use custom textures to match the ride. The room that grows in the haunted mansion is really impressive.

edit: Space Mountain is impressive

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 23, 2011

King of Cheeses
Jul 25, 2007
Crusty on the outside, smooth and creamy on the inside.
Welcome to Belle End Farm (and chicken grinder)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cDOL-tsTLo

You can download the map from my blog.

The Farm:

The Giant Chicken that fires eggs out its arse and grinder behind it.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Evil Orca posted:

That's a tiny-rear end front gate. Come back when you've made this :smug:

Jordanthehutt
Jun 21, 2011

Iacen posted:

I can't remember if the last one was posted in the Modding thread or this one, but that Ultimate Miner "gameshow" have updated with a new video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfZv4YKlSh4

I think it is very interesting. (And yes, I'd love to see someone like the Yogscast try to tackle it)

This was acually ok to watch. The production values were really good, the host probably could have used a co-host for better chemistry, but he was decent all together. The contestants really sounded bored, but idk what you can do about that. Maybe another camera guy too?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Here with 1.8 out (shut up, I'm slow) I'm looking for a new neat map for my server.

Are there any really cool seeds? I looked at the PYF Minecraft seed, but haven't found what I'm looking for. I'd like it if there is a combination of cool mountains, flat areas for building, a NPC village, perhaps, and if there is a nearby Stronghold, it would not be a bad thing.

I've looked at Macbeth and while the strange mountains almost at spawn are really great, it's lacking in the other parts, I think.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Arrested Development is the best seed I've found yet (and fits your parameters rather closely), but I'll be damned if I've ever seen a stronghold ingame.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Iacen posted:

Here with 1.8 out (shut up, I'm slow) I'm looking for a new neat map for my server.

Are there any really cool seeds? I looked at the PYF Minecraft seed, but haven't found what I'm looking for. I'd like it if there is a combination of cool mountains, flat areas for building, a NPC village, perhaps, and if there is a nearby Stronghold, it would not be a bad thing.

I've looked at Macbeth and while the strange mountains almost at spawn are really great, it's lacking in the other parts, I think.

I've started using "the big lebowski" on my family's server, which is coincidentally pretty great! Spawn seems to generate by a surface lava lake in a forest for some reason.

There's one of those pre-generated cities pretty close to spawn, across the river/ocean which has a pretty cute lake --

-- and its own surface lava lake nearby, too. (Bonus sheep five seconds from death!)

Lots of flat land in that area, especially if you take up a huge deforestation project, but there's tons of rolling, cow-filled plains nearby too. If you go the other way, though, there's a bunch of awesome-looking mountains!

This one has holes in it for some reason.

And this one has a giant, gaping cavern that leads straight through it!

This hole, also near spawn, leads directly to a pretty mineral-rich chasm which itself is connected to a bunch of winding, painful-to-navigate tunnels. A great place to get early iron!

And, gratuitous box canyon with lava shot:

I have yet to find any particularly interesting biomes like snow, but as far as buildability it couldn't be better. I'm particularly happy with the balance between mountains and flatland; everyone seems happy with it so far, and has been able to find a spot they liked. I haven't found the stronghold yet, though, but it's not like I've really been looking either.

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008

I built this lovely tnt house for Mr. Creeper.

This is how he thanked me.

These are the earlier tries.

Creative mode is fun. :unsmith:

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Hey guys don't forget that Halloween is right around the corner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jQIRUH9HDM

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

He may look like a creeper naturally but everyone knows creepers are made out of blocks!

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Howmuch posted:

This is how he thanked me.
Looks like he unearthed some gold ore (?) for you there. :unsmith:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Drake Lake posted:

Considered doing the whole shebang, but no. I'll probably just do Main Street.

It would be pretty own to make all of disneyland ingame though. You'd probably want to make it larger than scale by a bit just to have room to add little detail to rides and attractions though.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

MMAgCh posted:

Looks like he unearthed some gold ore (?) for you there. :unsmith:

Must be iron. Gold doesn't spawn that close to the surface :goonsay:

Monicro fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 24, 2011

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Times posted:

You'd probably want to make it larger than scale by a bit just to have room to add little detail to rides and attractions though.

I know this isn't the modding thread, but the RedPower mod adds a variety of fractional blocks based on most/all of the default blocks, which are very useful for detail. You can cut blocks into 1/2, 1/4, or 1/8 thickness, each of those can be re-cut in half the other way to get strips, and those can be re-cut again to make even smaller blocks. (In addition, the fractional blocks can co-exist in a single block space with each other and with the RedPower wires it adds, which makes hiding and organizing wires way easier than with default redstone.)

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
nvm, I need to refresh more often.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
So I'm trying to connect to my world and it says "connection lost: end of stream." All of my friends are getting this too and have been for most of the day. I know the machine is up and running (map server and chat still running fine) so I assume this is a login authentication problem on the MC side.

I didn't see widespread reports of connection issues. Is there a place where announcements of this can be verified? Ways for me to test what might be wrong? Perhaps most importantly, ways for me to work around or fix this?

e: http://mc.nexua.org/ and http://minecraftstatus.net/ suggests that the login servers are up. Not sure what to make of this.

Petey fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 24, 2011

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

I have the same problem. Dunno what it is, but im pretty sure it's got nothing to do with my server of choice.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Akliz has a Twitter feed that says they [minecraft.net] are having server woes.

http://twitter.com/#!/aklizhosting/status/128194789819686912

AklizHosting posted:

You maybe unable to login to your server. http://minecraft.net is experiencing some difficulties: http://twitter.com/#!/search/minecraft%20down

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Evilreaver posted:

Akliz has a Twitter feed that says they're having server woes.

http://twitter.com/!/aklizhosting/status/128194789819686912

Yeah what's weird is that all of the mojang twitter folks say they fixed it yesterday (or earlier today, hard to tell with time different / datestamped twitter posts), and all of the "minecraft auth server status" pages say it's up, but there are still lots of people on the MC forums and elsewhere reporting it remains down.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

If you play on a small server and/or use a whitelist, you can set your server to "offline mode" in order to bypass the minecraft.net check and the connection issues will go away. This should probably only be used as a temporary fix though.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Good news! I got my computer back now that the heatsink is fixed.

Bad news! I need to redownload Sphax, Mediafire is down because of an antipiracy raid across Europe, and I can't find my USB-to-ATA bridge to grab it off the old hard drive. Anyone able to rehost the 512x version for 1.8.1?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Crosscontaminant posted:

Good news! I got my computer back now that the heatsink is fixed.

Bad news! I need to redownload Sphax, Mediafire is down because of an antipiracy raid across Europe, and I can't find my USB-to-ATA bridge to grab it off the old hard drive. Anyone able to rehost the 512x version for 1.8.1?

Mediafire is still up?

I'll see if I can upload Sphax though. Will edit this post when it's up.

EDIT: http://bayfiles.com/file/18Ux/Igrwzd/Sphax_PureBDCraft_512x.zip

Odette fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 24, 2011

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Odette posted:

Mediafire is still up?

Not for me.

Thanks though.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Oh that's really weird, I can actually access MF. :(

Let me know if that file I uploaded doesn't work.

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help
Anyone here know of a solution?
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/736769-server-cant-handle-players-after-18/

truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

WARNING: Contents may contain traces of nuts.
So who here has some large mob grinders set up? I'd like to mess with TNT and arrow dispensers in my adventure world but I need lots of sulphur and arrows.

I'm good at building stupidly large, ugly buildings so I thought I might give it a shot. Also, the idea of exploiting supernatural creatures in some ye olde mass production facility appeals to me.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

truncated aardvar posted:

So who here has some large mob grinders set up? I'd like to mess with TNT and arrow dispensers in my adventure world but I need lots of sulphur and arrows.

I'm good at building stupidly large, ugly buildings so I thought I might give it a shot. Also, the idea of exploiting supernatural creatures in some ye olde mass production facility appeals to me.

Me and cwmagain have a rad one on mehcraft. Like, 16 chunks big. Fun times

BIFF!
Jan 4, 2009

Try this, it's easy to build while playing legit: http://www.kevblog.co.uk/how-to-build-a-minecraft-piston-mob-grinder/
That interactive floor plan is great and easy to follow.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
gently caress creepers.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
I'm floating an idea for a server for anyone interested. I have a 300mb map using the "Wasteland" seed that I am developing towards what is essentially an enormous SP exploration map. I'm not really to into the big ridiculous constructions you find on most maps, preferring more subtle creations. Instead I have been building ruins and partially collapsed dungeons spread across the map. I have heavily focused on traps and hidden entrances and the like so that instead of cresting the hill and finding some huge land mark, you could instead be bushwhacking through a jungle and stumble across a long lost civilization filled with traps and baddies. No cities, but plenty of scenes strait out of Indiana Jones/The Lost World.

Additionally, I have been focusing on adding plenty of little things like individual cabins and graveyards with marked graves and loot for those that know where to look so no matter where you go you will find something that adds some personality to the world. The stranger and more quirky each little scene is, the better. Even if there is no loot, just a memorable scene is worth it. Demonic altars, carved effigies of long dead gods in the sides of mountains, haunted towns with a hidden story played out through signs and clues, whatever it might be, bring it on.

The seed ended up producing a world with very large biomes and decent but not absurd oceans, so every trek across the desert takes a decent amount of time, but you can make it the next site within a day. There are NPC villages spread here and there, but they aren't that common. There are large mountains clusters taking up 10x10 chunks spread across the map, but each is isolated from every other.

If anyone would be interested in grabbing a spot, I plan on running a 10 or more person server once I get a ram upgrade. I already have two main sites finished, but I have easily 10 or 20 more in need of attention, plus I have been using editors to add in floating islands and other large exotic features, plus importing every decent land feature I have come across so there is no shortage of starting points for whatever you might want and of course one you stake out a claim you can do whatever you want as long as it isn't another lava cock or bit of pokemon pixel art. I hope to fill up the whole thing then release it as a SP survival map to the forums. If it goes over well, we could perhaps make a collaborative series of similar themed maps.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

I have a good one. It's a pretty simple layout but it works well - I have several double chests full of sulfur and arrows.

The basic layout is an exterior wall, a 2 block wide, 2 block deep channel on all ends, and a trap floor 16 blocks square. (you can add interior channels if you like but it's unnecessary).

Stack as many trap floors as you like, with 2x2 block openings in the corners for mobs to be swept into.

On the killing level, use the lava and ladder trick to decapitate mobs, and sweep their contents into your preferred system of plumbing.

I'll try to take and post some video tomorrow.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Nyyen posted:

I'm floating *snip*

I'm in for this. Steam name is Arkitekt. Hit me up.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Nyyen posted:

I'm floating an idea for a server for anyone interested.

This is a cool idea and I'd be interested in helping out. PM me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

WARNING: Contents may contain traces of nuts.

BIFF! posted:

Try this, it's easy to build while playing legit: http://www.kevblog.co.uk/how-to-build-a-minecraft-piston-mob-grinder/
That interactive floor plan is great and easy to follow.

Do you know if there's a reason he's using pistons over lava, other than the coolness factor?