Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

Perpetual Ascent posted:

I'm loving hooked on Freddie Gibbs. Two things:

1. Is his album with Statik Selektah on the same level as his two mixtapes?
2. Anyone out there like Gibbs? I love krit but I'm burnt out on him :(

Freddie Gibbs is my absolute favorite artist and in my personal opinion the best rapper in the game. The Statik Selektah mixtape is loving quality he has some really sick verses on it. Yeah I really cannot get over how good gibbs is and A Cold Day In Hell will be so loving dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

Perpetual Ascent posted:

I'm loving hooked on Freddie Gibbs. Two things:

1. Is his album with Statik Selektah on the same level as his two mixtapes?
2. Anyone out there like Gibbs? I love krit but I'm burnt out on him :(

Freddie Gibbs is my favorite rapper and I have all his poo poo, so let me tell you really quick:

He's got 1 album and 2 EP's with Statik, the album is midwestgangstaboxframecadillacmuzik, which is what I'm gonna assume you're talking about. The 2 EP's are Str8 Killa EP and Lord Giveth, Lord Taketh Away EP. Grab those two LPs, but more importantly get the separate Str8 Killa No Filla mixtape that was released along with the EP, and is actually better IMO (has the aformentioned Born 2 Roll, Goon poo poo, 4681 Broadway, etc.)

You gotta pick up some mixtapes next. First of all is The Miseducation of Freddie Gibbs. It came out in 09, before but soon before boxframe, and was really responsible for him getting people noticing him (Me at least.). It's excellent.

Next you can get The Label's Tryin To Kill Me!, which was released at the end of '09 and has pretty much EVERYTHING he'd released up until that point. It's literally 81 tracks long, although a lot of the tracks are shortened versions of other songs that cut out the hook or other peoples verses. There is a lot of cross over, but also a lot of one-off stuff on there that can't be found anywhere else. It's a convenient way to get into Gibbs, but non-essential IMO.

After that you've really just got Str8 Slammin', which is unofficial but important because it's made up of almost all of the collaborations and guest appearances he's made on other peoples tracks over the last couple years (including the awesome Pulled Over By The Cops tracks) and a few cool solo joints also.

If you can do all that, you get to be in the secret gibbs fan club with me. Also hopefully by that time he'll have his new CTE album out.

As far as other rappers that can hold their own and are kind of similar, I've been digging up everything that J. DaVinci has been putting out since an awesome goon here put me onto him. I also like Pill, he and Gibbs have collaborated a bit (which is awkward, now that they are on warring labels). Other than that, I like G-Side/2 Lettaz and L.E.P. Bogus Boys right now.

SOME PIG fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 20, 2011

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

dethkon posted:

If you can do all that, you get to be in the secret gibbs fan club with me. Also hopefully by that time he'll have his new CTE album out.

poo poo son can secret gibbs fan club? I'm in.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

for gibbs dont forget to grab 'live from gary indiana' parts 1 & 2

i actually much prefer those to the st8 killa tapes/ep

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

His haunts are not confined to the valley, but extend at times to the adjacent roads...

dethkon posted:

Gibbs

Cool post

Yeah, I had been hooked on Gibbs since I heard Miseducation but after Midwest it really became a problem. I have both Str8 Killa and Str8 Killa No Filla and they're both great.

Thanks for the Str8 Slammin' rec, hadn't heard of it before and it sounds like it's the poo poo

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

farmtrill posted:

Oh no doubt better. Hands down. especially part 2 that poo poo is loving classic.

dox
Mar 4, 2006
anyone watch Beats, Rhymes, and Life documentary on A Tribe Called Quest yet? watched it the other night and it's a real refreshing look at their beginnings, their influences, their rise, and best of all how it all came crashing down. I was really confused why/how Michael Rapaport directed it but he did a remarkable job at putting together what I'm guessing was a shitload of video into a comprehensible film

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

dox posted:

anyone watch Beats, Rhymes, and Life documentary on A Tribe Called Quest yet? watched it the other night and it's a real refreshing look at their beginnings, their influences, their rise, and best of all how it all came crashing down. I was really confused why/how Michael Rapaport directed it but he did a remarkable job at putting together what I'm guessing was a shitload of video into a comprehensible film

u know i downloaded that but havent been bothered to watch it for weeks now. thanks for the mini review, defo gonna watch it now.

the new zed zilla tape is great by the way for anyone interested

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

farmtrill posted:

Good looks on that, gonna snatch those immediately.

dox posted:

I watched it last night. I think Michael Rapaport wanted to do it because the dude is just a HUGE hip-hop head, and a Tribe fan in particular. I mean, I've seen interviews with him over the years and you can just tell how passionate he is about rap as an art form. And he always has been. Remember the 'City is Mine' video? I have a feeling that if he wasn't a successful actor/director, he would've been a rapper. (Fun Fact: I was just looking through his IMDB filmography and apparently he plays a guy named "Big Stan" in Point of No Return:laugh:)

I agree with you that he did a great job of it. You can really tell that he was deeply interested, if not emotionally vested, in getting to know his hip-hop heroes and it comes through the movie, which makes you interested too.

There was a really good interview with him a couple weeks ago on AllHipHop, but I can't find it anymore. Anyway, you can read some from Tip's point of view here: http://allhiphop.com/2010/12/03/q-tip-shoots-down-atcq-documentary-flick-headed-to-sundance/

Mustafa
Jun 3, 2007
Hay, screw you

dethkon posted:

Freddie Gibbs

Thanks so much for this recommendation, I've been looking for some new music to listen to and this guy is excellent.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I dunno if people around here like Immortal Technique, but here's a thing by him

http://www.2dopeboyz.com/2011/10/20/immortal-technique-toast-to-the-dead-prod-j-dilla/#comment-758284

His "i'm a revolutionary bush did 9/11 aghhhhhhhhh" gimmick admittedly gets pretty old but this track is still pretty sweet, plus i'm always down with a j dilla beat

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 21, 2011

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Bush knocked down the towers
It was you
tell the truth

ASL NIGGA
Nov 26, 2009

by T. Mascis
Immortal Technique has some good lines when he's not rapping about crazy conspiracies. Also most of his beats are rad.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

ASL NIGGA posted:

Immortal Technique has some good lines when he's not rapping about crazy conspiracies. Also most of his beats are rad.

Check out the comments

quote:

Don’t buy into the bullshit this guy feeds you!! He is lying to you!!

This rapper has pulled the wool over too many listeners eyes!!

IMMORTAL TECHNIQUE IS 100% ILLUMINATI!!

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.

Mustafa posted:

Thanks so much for this recommendation, I've been looking for some new music to listen to and this guy is excellent.

Seconded. I download Miseducation and I've been listening to it all day.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Omerta posted:

Check out the comments

I've been seeing this "ILLUMINATI!!" stuff in the comments on more and more rap videos on YouTube lately. Internet crazy isn't unusual, it just seems weird how a video of a dude rapping is linked with these conspiracies. It goes beyond the Immortal Technique "Bush did 9/11" stuff too.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Yeah young "urban" culture is blowing up with Illuminati and Nation of Moors stuff recently, it's weird.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
while Prodigy obviously didn't start all that poo poo he definitely helped speak it into focus a little, HNIC2 has a song called "illuminati" with a rad lofi computer graphics video to go with it

whitey ford has a new track out, for those of you who were alive in the 90s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFkCOBYTy0s&feature=player_embedded!

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

on point like a unicorn, strapped like tha unabomb
everyday a work day but dont wear a uniform
Gucci Mane a dapper don, capper like a Capricorn
Immortal Technique is so loving baaaaaaaad lol

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

thunderthief posted:

while Prodigy obviously didn't start all that poo poo he definitely helped speak it into focus a little, HNIC2 has a song called "illuminati" with a rad lofi computer graphics video to go with it

whitey ford has a new track out, for those of you who were alive in the 90s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFkCOBYTy0s&feature=player_embedded!

Met him once. He is the biggest rear end in a top hat I've ever met in my life. It was a private radio performance in front of like 40 people in a radio studio and the dude shows up 2 hours late, does 3 songs and asks for $30 per signature from the people there and just acted like a douche. I wasn't a terribly big fan before, needless to say, I'm definitely not after that poo poo.

Maybe he was having a really bad day, but poo poo like that is really hard to overlook.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
My friend who is a producer (degree and all) has been putting out some pretty good tracks. Just trying to get some feedback for him on some of his work. What do you guys think this track (beat/verse/hook) Cream of the crop

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
This is like my favorite internet video and I guess it kinda fits in this thread

quote:

The 411 is 2/3rds Harmful 1/3 Helpful. Jacob-Israel get all the meat off this bone!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGD9uDVO8pU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Thread probably doesn't need another post about Freddie Gibbs but jesus god his poo poo is enjoyable. He has two different songs named In My Hood which is weird but both are good so it's all good.

WHOLE DIK AND NUTS
Aug 18, 2011

by Duchess Gummybuns
The Illuminati gave Rick Ross seizures because he knew too much

chopper city
May 30, 2009

you in the choppa zone
where choppas is a must

aniero posted:

Met him once. He is the biggest rear end in a top hat I've ever met in my life. It was a private radio performance in front of like 40 people in a radio studio and the dude shows up 2 hours late, does 3 songs and asks for $30 per signature from the people there and just acted like a douche. I wasn't a terribly big fan before, needless to say, I'm definitely not after that poo poo.

Maybe he was having a really bad day, but poo poo like that is really hard to overlook.

Prodigy or Whitey Ford?

I was watching this documentary on netflix called Rappers And Prison or some poo poo like that, about hip-hop and crime. Had lots of cool poo poo like Mac Dre's homies robbing banks and Prodigy talking about how the FBI tried to get him to set up 50 Cent.

e: also it was narrated by KRS-1 in his White Man Voice

ee: http://youtu.be/sa0bX1rF-vE

chopper city fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 22, 2011

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

new marciano/danny brown

http://www.dotgotit.com/?p=39920

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
I'm on the Freddie Gibbs bandwagon now, dled Miseducation and Str8 Killa No Filla, both go hard. I love Slanging Rocks, it's not really about Freddie's bars on that one, the retro (sounds 80s to me) beat is sick.

Finally listened to The Diagnosis and it's pretty good too, the review I read called it disjointed but it's a good tape, Pill's tied for my favourite MMG cat with Meek. I listened to it a couple of times but I have been listening to Gibbs fr like 2 days straight now. Ahhhhh the Freestyle tracks on Miseducation are mad.

I don't understand how people can say that there's no worthwhile hiphop (aka not "real hip hop") being made. There's been so much great poo poo this year; Return of 4eva, Section.80 and that MMJB tape were objectively awesome. I've enjoyed Free Gucci 2, Dreamchasers, Ferrari Boyz, Shaolin vs Wu Tang and W.A.R. Great time to be a hip hop fan imo.

WHOLE DIK AND NUTS
Aug 18, 2011

by Duchess Gummybuns

Wafflecop posted:

I don't understand how people can say that there's no worthwhile hiphop (aka not "real hip hop") being made. There's been so much great poo poo this year; Return of 4eva, Section.80 and that MMJB tape were objectively awesome. I've enjoyed Free Gucci 2, Dreamchasers, Ferrari Boyz, Shaolin vs Wu Tang and W.A.R. Great time to be a hip hop fan imo.

Danny Brown is sick too, XXX is a great album

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

chopper city posted:

Prodigy or Whitey Ford?

Whitey Ford.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

Wafflecop posted:

I'm on the Freddie Gibbs bandwagon now, dled Miseducation and Str8 Killa No Filla, both go hard. I love Slanging Rocks, it's not really about Freddie's bars on that one, the retro (sounds 80s to me) beat is sick.

Finally listened to The Diagnosis and it's pretty good too, the review I read called it disjointed but it's a good tape, Pill's tied for my favourite MMG cat with Meek. I listened to it a couple of times but I have been listening to Gibbs fr like 2 days straight now. Ahhhhh the Freestyle tracks on Miseducation are mad.

Slangin Rocks was me and my old girlfriend's favorite song. We'd ride around in the whip singing that poo poo all day long. It's just so awesome. I started to GIVE UP! But I WASN'T WIT IT!

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

aniero posted:

From what I've listened to, Everlast only has bad days.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
he does seem to be a bit down about life

also currently the worlds whitest blues singer

THNDRTHF fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 24, 2011

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

From what I've listened to, Everlast only has bad days.

Then you really might know what it's like.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
Just checked out the Freddie Gibbs recommendation. Excellent stuff.

Seeing Elzhi next month in London, should be dope.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
What's better than a new Pusha T record? A new Pusha T record that samples Ric Flair.

What Dreams Are Made Of

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
Dumb Up! Stupid Vol. 6 is out, it's hosted by Thirstin Howl III and I'm on it.

http://web3.datpiff.com/Thomas-Handsome-Dumb-Up-Stupid-Vol-6-Hosted-By-Thirstin-Howl-The-mixtape.274062.html

Check that poo poo out I suppose.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

been bumpin this all day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orGPNhY1rK8

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

Serch is BACK! posted:

Dumb Up! Stupid Vol. 6 is out, it's hosted by Thirstin Howl III and I'm on it.

http://web3.datpiff.com/Thomas-Handsome-Dumb-Up-Stupid-Vol-6-Hosted-By-Thirstin-Howl-The-mixtape.274062.html

Check that poo poo out I suppose.

I didn't listen to the whole thing, but I liked your track (Man outta time?) a lot. Tight poo poo.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Jock Mocken posted:

Immortal Technique is so loving baaaaaaaad lol

This unironically. Also can we talk about Motion Man and skate rap?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rLtu1XAS60
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqg_IPlQyqA

Is skate rap still a thing? I used to jam Jurassic 5 a lot but mainly for Chali 2na.

Bonus Jurassic 5:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDko5kfhcts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

dethkon posted:

I didn't listen to the whole thing, but I liked your track (Man outta time?) a lot. Tight poo poo.

thanks! there's some great stuff on there and it's my first release on a record w/ people i grew up idolizing (thirstin has been a big ol' fave of mine since that second soundbombing record) so it's a pretty exciting watermark for me

gonna be on another pretty rad mixtape comin out on the 31st, local cats, but there are some names on it some of ya'll might recognize if you're into bay area stuff: http://www.maddcaesar.com/index.html

• Locked thread