Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

neetz posted:

+5 in normal upgrades? Well, yeah, it will. A lightning spear is in actuality a normal spear +10 ascended to lightning.
The demon's spear needs demon titanite to be upgraded though, so its levels SHOULD mean more than the levels of weapons that are upgraded by more common materials. But it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DarkArchimedes posted:

Okay, that was a lot of text.

I think we can all agree, no matter what though, that there is a good reason the gate to the "Land of the Giants" in Demon's Souls was broken.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

The demon's spear needs demon titanite to be upgraded though, so its levels SHOULD mean more than the levels of weapons that are upgraded by more common materials. But it doesn't.

Yeah, my mistake, I assumed it was just a normal weapon. It speaks volumes that I didn't consider otherwise, given how bad scaling is. The only thing I've seen with middling scaling has been the Greatsword of Artorias but the stat investment is mind boggling.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's generally my feeling about it.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

Okay so I'm kind of bored of my claymore wielding, light armor wearing pyromancer. What type of character should I look into building next?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

sentrygun posted:

It's nowhere as bad as people make it out to be. If you take the normal path down, you can find a set of equipment that has plenty of poison resist on it (Shadow set), or you can use your class gear if you started as a Thief or Pyromancer as their gear is very poison resistant. If you want to grab some poison resist before you start heading down and don't have any yet, grab the Thief set in the Lower Undead Burg if you haven't already.

I probably used three mosses when walking to the boss so I didn't have to eat the meter the whole time I was in there. If anything, have about five blooming moss on hand just in case the Toxic sources down there catch you blindsided.

I've already got dozen or so of each moss, and a number of poison resistant sets, so I think I'll go check it out then. I DO still have nightmares from Demon's Souls Valley of Defilement, but I suppose I'll be alright - I do have a certain rusted ring.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

Kevlar Beard posted:

Okay so I'm kind of bored of my claymore wielding, light armor wearing pyromancer. What type of character should I look into building next?

Do what I am going to do after I beat the game in the next 30 minutes: Reroll a STR+END+STA only character.

Melee plate for lyfe

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
Here's a question I could use some answers on; the Critical stat.

As far as I'm aware, critical damage determines riposte/back stab damage but it seems to be (on the stats screen, at least) a flat 100 across all weapons. Why is it, then, that a completely unupgraded Velka's Rapier does obscene riposte damage compared to something like that ginormous dragon sword? I tested a few others but Velka's Rapier crushed them all. It was close to a +4 Smough's Hammer, in fact.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

DarkArchimedes posted:

Words

The way I see it, it's not Gwyn trying to sacrifice humans to keep himself alive as is Gwyndoline tricking the player to replace Gwyn as firewood for the First Flame to keep the Lord Flames powerful with him the only person to use it since by the end you kill off Nito, Seath, the Four Kings, and the Bed of Chaos, all potential threats to Gwyndolin's New Age of Fire.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Kevlar Beard posted:

Offhand a dagger (or a targe if you're feeling a little less confident) and just go around parrying everything. Grab the Parrying Dagger when you can (I think as long as you know where it is it's feasible to just dash straight to it from the start of the game).

Blind Sally posted:

I've already got dozen or so of each moss, and a number of poison resistant sets, so I think I'll go check it out then. I DO still have nightmares from Demon's Souls Valley of Defilement, but I suppose I'll be alright - I do have a certain rusted ring.

I never had much of a problem with the swamp in Demon's Souls either (in fact, you'll end up getting poisoned more in Dark than in Demon's due to how status effects work now) save for fighting the Giant Depraved Ones with my back to a bunch of muck and my face filled with a giant club mauling me to death. I'd say the Rusted Ring does wonders to make the place seem like nothing more than a really open flatland environment.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

DarkArchimedes posted:

Analysis

Good post, and a good analysis of the details of the plot. Personally, I don't trust any of these motherfucking mythological figures. The only thing I think this game really missed out on in potential plot is dialogue with Gwyn, as well as what happened with his first son and how that relates to the Warriors of Sunlight.

Also Nito. Are you telling me this guy spends all his time in his tomb huffing his own dank rear end miasma, getting high despite not having a brain or lungs? What I'm trying to say is that the Daughters of Chaos got more implied exposition, and that's a shame.

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 24, 2011

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Blind Sally posted:

Use the spider shield if you have it (you can pick it up in the Depths), there are enemies that shoot toxic darts at you and that shield will completely block them. The swamp is actually a walk in the park compared to the opening bit on the raised platforms where I got stuck in the environment or plummeted to my death many times.

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

neetz posted:

Here's a question I could use some answers on; the Critical stat.

As far as I'm aware, critical damage determines riposte/back stab damage but it seems to be (on the stats screen, at least) a flat 100 across all weapons. Why is it, then, that a completely unupgraded Velka's Rapier does obscene riposte damage compared to something like that ginormous dragon sword? I tested a few others but Velka's Rapier crushed them all. It was close to a +4 Smough's Hammer, in fact.

Rapiers and I believe straight swords get bonuses to their criticals. I think there's even a different animation to go along with it.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
My interpretation of the New Londo/Kaathe thing is a little different. So the way I saw it was Gwyn was this supposedly magnanimous leader who hosed the dragons and split his power around so that his servants (Four Kings, Seath, Gwyndolin/fake-titty-monster-sister) could benefit from it in some way. He just sort of willy-nilly used his supposedly ill-begotten power from the dragons to build his ideal world; not to mention his supposed betrayal of his 1st son, the one who's statue was broken on the altar of sunlight.

Kaathe, being an eternal primordial serpent and all, saw the harm of Gwyn's reckless use of his power such as the people who were affected with the darksign as well as the rampant spread of the weird 'humanity' sprite. So to counter Gwyn's bullshit, Kaathe saw a way to fix things by indoctrinating the Four Kings of New Londo to help dethrone Gwyn. He also gave them a means to gather up the humanity sprite and to get rid of them.

Gwyn, being the jealous, spiteful representation of Zeus or the Old Testament Jehovah, flooded the city to "control" the "threat" of the Darkwraiths, the Four Kings' personal army. I just think that's how it went because of the way the game tries to give you a sort of emotional moment when you finally figure out what all that mushy stuff on the floor of Lower New Londo really is (it's people trying to escape the flood Gwyn sent) So the way I see it, Gwyn tried to build his own little happy world and it fell apart because of his hubris.

So gently caress Gwyn and gently caress the flame; me, Kaathe and Solaire are going to ride into the sunset on a horse made
of Humanity and rule man with a space shield in one hand and a pyromancy flame in the other

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
Alright I take it back about the Demons Spear +5, the range is insanely large, and not just long- like it's got this almost AOE snare that it casts, I am hitting 2-3 guys side by side. This aint bad.

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

SgtSteel91 posted:

The way I see it, it's not Gwyn trying to sacrifice humans to keep himself alive as is Gwyndoline tricking the player to replace Gwyn as firewood for the First Flame to keep the Lord Flames powerful with him the only person to use it since by the end you kill off Nito, Seath, the Four Kings, and the Bed of Chaos, all potential threats to Gwyndolin's New Age of Fire.

That's kind of an incidental thing. It's still all about Gwyn trying to keep the Age of Fire alive. It's not even clear whether or not Gwyndolin knows what happened to Gwyn. Frampt certainly doesn't seem to, and he hangs out right outside the door to the kiln. Gwyndolin's basically a shut-in who maintains Anor Londo's peace through illusion, but yes, we can assume he wants to keep the Age of Fire going just like daddy, cause that seems tied to their survival.

It also goes back to Gwyn twisting history. If the original prophecy was that an undead would gain the Dark Soul and usher in the Age of Darkness, Gwyn could have twisted that as a failsafe in case he found no other option. Instead of claiming the Lord souls and letting the flame go out, the undead of the world believe they can cure their curse by lighting the flame anew, which really just serves to keep all the Giants/Lords/Whatever alive until the fire goes out again. Poor old Gwyn just got himself cooked in the process.

And yeah, Nito seems to get the short end of the stick as far as background goes. I can't think of a single thing anyone said about him in the game. I could go check the info on the Gravelord sword and miracles, but even then that's not much (assuming there's any at all). He's just kind of a silent, lumbering guardian. Of course, by spending all his time sleeping, he did a pretty good job of not going rogue or insane.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Demon's Spear has a little thing called parameter bonus, so if you get your strength/dex stats sufficiently high, it could theoretically surpass Lightning Spear.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

qbert posted:

Demon's Spear has a little thing called parameter bonus, so if you get your strength/dex stats sufficiently high, it could theoretically surpass Lightning Spear.
Yeah, theoretically...in new game plus plus or somewhere around then. That's what I hope the patch fixes.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

I get the feeling Nito was associated with the Primordial beings in someway simply because of his desire to consume. Otherwise he's just a typical Lich with a bunch of Necromancer buddies. I suppose there's something to him being the "First of the Dead" as saying that he was the cause of the Darksign appearing, but there's nothing to support that.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, theoretically...in new game plus plus or somewhere around then. That's what I hope the patch fixes.

If the patch makes scaling better, then the demon spear might as well be a lightsaber-spear.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What's the point of the Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring? I'm wearing it and the Fog Ring, and I kind of hoped that I would be able to sneak past things. They seem to see me just as soon as normal. Am I just wandering too close, or does this not actually help?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

But isn't that the whole point? You use Lightning crafted weapons in NG and NG+, until their stats no longer cut it, then you're able to switch to elemental weapons that are actually enhanced by your now-high stats in NG++, etc. Otherwise why make elemental weapons?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

qbert posted:

But isn't that the whole point? You use Lightning crafted weapons in NG and NG+, until their stats no longer cut it, then you're able to switch to elemental weapons that are actually enhanced by your now-high stats in NG++, etc. Otherwise why make elemental weapons?

Theoretically, yes, but I think someone did the math a while ago and it appeared that a normal spear +15 would only outdamage a +5 lightning spear after about 60 dexterity I think. Even then, I don't believe that it would be that much more due to the diminishing returns on stats in the long run.

e: Also many more things have high physical defense than lightning defense, so probably lightning weapons will be more effective until god knows what level. Its stupid, and From should feel stupid for doing it. <:mad:>

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Elysiume posted:

What's the point of the Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring? I'm wearing it and the Fog Ring, and I kind of hoped that I would be able to sneak past things. They seem to see me just as soon as normal. Am I just wandering too close, or does this not actually help?

Fog Ring, if it acts like the Thief Ring did in Demon's Souls, just decreases aggro range. If you get too close you'll still aggro enemies. As for the Slumbering ring, to the best of my knowledge there aren't any blind enemies so the only real use for it is during PVP to sneak up on players without them noticing until it's too late. EDIT: Apparently I'm wrong, but I never tested it so hey.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Elysiume posted:

It works as long as you don't actually go in front of enemies or touch them, in which case they'll see or notice you. You can run and roll around behind them as much as you want.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
It definitely means they can't detect me if I'm behind them, and I guess it does affect aggro range. That one spearman in AO usually aggroes as I come down the stairs, but I'm most of the way down as I type this and he's standing still.

edit: Zero summons for O&S. Guess I try to fight them with just Solaire again.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rexicon1 posted:

I get the feeling Nito was associated with the Primordial beings in someway simply because of his desire to consume. Otherwise he's just a typical Lich with a bunch of Necromancer buddies. I suppose there's something to him being the "First of the Dead" as saying that he was the cause of the Darksign appearing, but there's nothing to support that.

The interesting thing is they aren't his buddies, or at least Pinwheel isn't. He's mentioned as "stealing" Nito's power.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Rexicon1 posted:

Theoretically, yes, but I think someone did the math a while ago and it appeared that a normal spear +15 would only outdamage a +5 lightning spear after about 60 dexterity I think. Even then, I don't believe that it would be that much more due to the diminishing returns on stats in the long run.

e: Also many more things have high physical defense than lightning defense, so probably lightning weapons will be more effective until god knows what level. Its stupid, and From should feel stupid for doing it. <:mad:>

I think you may have missed something. We're talking about Demon's Spear, which actually DOES lightning damage AND it adds a parameter bonus based on your stats. So I'm guessing the threshhold for it surpassing the Lightning Spear isn't nearly as high.

What I'm saying is stop complaining that its base stats at +5 isn't as high as your Lightning Spear's stats at +5, because it's meant to be used later when your stats don't suck.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
edit: nvm

chunkles fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 24, 2011

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ok so, that white spider girl under Queelag, I accidentally killed her servant.

Is that bad? What he important?

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong
^^ The helper sold two Pyromancies that you can't get elsewhere. Never had much use for them myself, but if you want the trophy/achievement for all pyromancies, you need them.

Rexicon1 posted:

The Darksign only appears on those who become undead, and only an undead is prophesied to claim the Dark Soul and usher in the new Age. It would make more sense that the Darksign affects descendants of the pygmy.

And yeah, the pinwheel necromancers that have moved in aren't actually working with Nito like RBA said. You never actually fight any Gravelord servants aside from other players in PvP. Nito's pretty much all alone in his little room with a couple of skeletons and no flavor text.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alteisen posted:

Ok so, that white spider girl under Queelag, I accidentally killed her servant.

Is that bad? What he important?

You'll miss out on a spell he sells, but otherwise no, not really. You can still join the Chaos Servant covenant.

DarkArchimedes posted:

Rapiers and I believe straight swords get bonuses to their criticals. I think there's even a different animation to go along with it.

Rapiers do but straight swords don't. Daggers get critical bonuses as well.

DarkArchimedes posted:

^^ The helper sold two Pyromancies that you can't get elsewhere. Never had much use for them myself, but if you want the trophy/achievement for all pyromancies, you need them.

Actually only Toxic Mist is unavailable elsewhere. Poison Mist can be found just past that giant bug thing in Blighttown.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 24, 2011

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

qbert posted:

I think you may have missed something. We're talking about Demon's Spear, which actually DOES lightning damage AND it adds a parameter bonus based on your stats. So I'm guessing the threshhold for it surpassing the Lightning Spear isn't nearly as high.

What I'm saying is stop complaining that its base stats at +5 isn't as high as your Lightning Spear's stats at +5, because it's meant to be used later when your stats don't suck.

The parameter bonus isn't that high so my point still stands that scaling needs to be fixed and the Demon Spear should be better.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

qbert posted:

I have a Dragonslayer Spear at +5 (which also has bonus lightning damage), with 50 faith (B scaling) and around 30 each in strength and dexterity (C scaling). It does less damage than my Lightning Uchigatana +5 on my character with 14 strength and dexterity, the minimum requirements, and doesn't inflict bleed to boot. The Greatsword of Artorias, with around 50 points each in strength, dexterity, faith and intelligence is still weaker than a lightning Zweihander +5, which requires so little in comparison.

The scaling based on parameters is awful.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Elysiume posted:

It definitely means they can't detect me if I'm behind them, and I guess it does affect aggro range. That one spearman in AO usually aggroes as I come down the stairs, but I'm most of the way down as I type this and he's standing still.

edit: Zero summons for O&S. Guess I try to fight them with just Solaire again.

Bummer! I was bored earlier, so I was sitting around waiting to be summoned for O&S. I'll start back up, just in case you're still having issues. Then again, with no dedicated servERTHANKSBANDAI we may not even cross paths.

Oh, no wonder I wasn't getting any bites... I'm SL60. Nobody is fighting O&S at 60... right?

enojy fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 24, 2011

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

McTimmy posted:

Chunk eating can be mildly useful once you open up Kiln. But that's it really.

I've found that it's incredibly useful, since green shards are so easy to farm in the depths, and each one you feed him gives you five regular shards. Seriously, the leeches drop five at a time, and with the covetous gold serpent ring, you'll end up with at least one drop per run. It's great for large shards too, they'll drop around three or more per run.

It's also really easy, since the poison from the swamp isn't going to be an issue and if you run fast enough, the slugs are the only things you'll have to fight. Rusted iron ring is a must too though.

But gently caress those god drat mosquitoes. Definitely the most annoying enemy in the game. I'll take five pinwheel skeletons rolling at me over those drat things any day.

edit: seriously, it's great, I got all my armour up to +6 in about an hour, and getting any regular weapon to +10 is trivial.

Stranger Danger Ranger fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 24, 2011

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

qbert posted:

There are legitimate problems with how bad the scaling in this game is. 60 in a stat is not a reasonable break-even number.

Hexempaler
Sep 13, 2010

I know what you're thinking.
Did he fire sixty-six shots or only sixty-five?
Question is, do I feel lucky?
Well, do ya, punk?
Man, I'm really starting to feel the burn from the latter half of the game. Literally. I'm trying to go through The Demon Ruins now.

Never in Demon's Souls did I feel like I was being pitted against damage sponges, but here it feels like they completed the area map, selected their Taurus Demon and Capra Demon assets, and just clicked a bunch of times in random areas. Seven Capra Demons? Really? They go down in three hits to my Gravelord Sword but goddamn it's just so tedious. This place had the potential to be so cool but it's just "welp, here are some ruins with a shitton of demons in them."

I'm trying to take the shortcut too, but gently caress that Titanite Demon. Narrow pathway, huge windows with potential for falling off, and hey what the gently caress, since when did they have an insta-kill attack?!

:negative: I've got the Sunlight Maggot, maybe I should go pay my bro Nito a visit.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Jaaam posted:

I've found that it's incredibly useful, since green shards are so easy to farm in the depths, and each one you feed him gives you five regular shards. Seriously, the leeches drop five at a time, and with the covetous gold serpent ring, you'll end up with at least one drop per run. It's great for large shards too, they'll drop around three or more per run.

It's also a really easy, since the poison from the swamp isn't going to be an issue and if you run fast enough, the slugs are the only things you'll have to fight. Rusted iron ring is a must too though.

But gently caress those god drat mosquitoes. Definitely the most annoying enemy in the game. I'll take five pinwheel skeletons rolling at me over those drat things any day.

Get a weapon that thrusts and you can take out the mosquitoes very easily. I had plenty of luck with my Drake Sword taking them out as well.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jaaam posted:

It's also a really easy, since the poison from the swamp isn't going to be an issue and if you run fast enough, the slugs are the only things you'll have to fight. Rusted iron ring is a must too though.

Are you running all the way to the leeches from the bonfire near where you first reach the bottom of the swamp? There's a much closer one in The Hollow. You won't fight anything but leeches from there, since that's all there is in that area. Even the annoying mosquito things don't fly that far over.

sentrygun posted:

Get a weapon that thrusts and you can take out the mosquitoes very easily. I had plenty of luck with my Drake Sword taking them out as well.

They make you very appreciative of throwing daggers. One of them will kill a bug. I don't think that's by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

sentrygun posted:

There are legitimate problems with how bad the scaling in this game is. 60 in a stat is not a reasonable break-even number.
This is especially true for people like me who prefer to start games over again with new characters rather than using NG+. If you can't even start seeing good returns on the majority of weapons until well into NG+ then that totally screws up the way I want to play.

• Locked thread