Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

Nitr0 posted:

I get 15MB on supernews. Don't see why you wouldn't be able to get 5.

Also lmao $23 a month.

I think part of it is an overseas transaction fee, but you're right it's pretty ridiculous.

I'll look into blocknews also. I've never had to do that, so that's new to me. Used Giganews previously but that was even more expensive than what I'm paying now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

tomm posted:

I think part of it is an overseas transaction fee, but you're right it's pretty ridiculous.

I'll look into blocknews also. I've never had to do that, so that's new to me. Used Giganews previously but that was even more expensive than what I'm paying now.

I don't know how much your overseas transaction is, but last year Newsdemon had a Black Friday sale of $6 a month for the service so you might want to keep that in mind around the end of next month.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't know how much your overseas transaction is, but last year Newsdemon had a Black Friday sale of $6 a month for the service so you might want to keep that in mind around the end of next month.

That sounds good, actually. Are incompletes really common enough to warrant a blocknews account with Supernews? I'm reading up and there's a lot of debate, a lot of people seem to prefer Astraweb but in either case everyone recommends a blocknews account. I've never had any trouble with incompletes with Newsdemon.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

tomm posted:

That sounds good, actually. Are incompletes really common enough to warrant a blocknews account with Supernews? I'm reading up and there's a lot of debate, a lot of people seem to prefer Astraweb but in either case everyone recommends a blocknews account. I've never had any trouble with incompletes with Newsdemon.

A 5gig blocknews account has worked fine for almost a year now. I haven't had to renew it yet. Unless you have a really bad host you'll rarely use more than a few megs to repair a broken download.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

Geekner posted:

A 5gig blocknews account has worked fine for almost a year now. I haven't had to renew it yet. Unless you have a really bad host you'll rarely use more than a few megs to repair a broken download.

I see, as a backup server in SABnzbd. Makes sense. Sorry, I'm pretty inexperienced in this field. Looking at their prices that doesn't seem like a bad deal at all.

ndrz
Oct 31, 2003

tomm posted:

I'm thinking of switching Usenet providers. I'm currently paying $22.99 a month at Newsdemon, the service is good but I could be getting cheaper for the same service pretty much. I wasn't aware of many other providers apart from Giganews before reading this thread, due to my own ignorance of not shopping around.

Supernews sounds good, but what I like about Newsdemon is that it has a UK server. I have a 50MB connection so I'm used to downloading at 5MB/s+ a second, if I could be guaranteed that at perhaps Supernews or Usenetserver I'd switch in a heartbeat. Hmm.

Dear God, what?

I signed up for a trial Newsdemon account, cancelled it before trial was over because it was "too expensive".

I now have $8.00/mo for their best service. Give cancelling a shot, it will offer you the discount before cancelling is official. At least it did for me.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

coldfire07 posted:

Dear God, what?

I signed up for a trial Newsdemon account, cancelled it before trial was over because it was "too expensive".

I now have $8.00/mo for their best service. Give cancelling a shot, it will offer you the discount before cancelling is official. At least it did for me.

Oh wow, you're right.

We want you to stay part of the NewsDemon.com Newsgroups family. So we've created a special, one-time incentive to keep you for a member by offering you:
A lifetime subscription to our Unlimited plus plan for only $8.00 a month!
The new rate would immediately go in effect for each monthly billing cycle.

GO FOR IT?

Yes
No

How silly that I never attempted that before. I did that with Giganews, never thought of doing it with Newsdemon. Thanks.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

Hmm..the modem I don't mind paying for/using theirs, but the actual installation fee might be a bit steep right now..
I finally remembered what I did to avoid the install fee, I just signed up for a month of cable TV as well, it was either free or another $10-20, then canceled it after one month. They'll forgo the install fee (or rather, should be willing to, if not automatic) if you get any service other than standalone internet.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I had one of those, then got screwed along with many others after a few months. They'd mysteriously fail to charge our credit cards over and over and come up with all sorts of bullshit excuses, I even called my cc company just to make sure there really weren't any issues. I switched to AstraWeb, $96 for 12 months prepaid with no hassle is a pretty good deal, and then you're also not on highwinds :v:

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

Hmm..the modem I don't mind paying for/using theirs, but the actual installation fee might be a bit steep right now..

When I signed up for business, the installation fee was based on how long of a contract you signed. They said 200, maybe 300 bucks but I signed a contract for either two or three years and that eliminated it. I figure I won't be without Internet at all so what the heck.

Everything else said about business class is accurate, although I'm not sure if they're gonna restrict you from signing up again.

Oh! :eng101: If they'll let you, see if you can get a vanilla modem instead of the gateway. The gateway they give you has a router/modem combo and causes all types of double NAT hell when paired with your wireless router.

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009
Can someone help me with some Linux stuff? :cry:

Somehow the permissions on my "TV" folder where all my shows get downloaded to got messed up. I haven't changed a thing on this setup since I set it up a few months ago, but I'm trying to add a new show and I'm getting a "Can't create folder" error. The "TV" folder is in my home directory and it has a lock icon on it now. I can't manually add any new folders either.

What command do I need to set this folder so It can be written to by Sick Beard/sabnzbd?

:suicide:

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Sleepstupid posted:

Can someone help me with some Linux stuff? :cry:

Somehow the permissions on my "TV" folder where all my shows get downloaded to got messed up. I haven't changed a thing on this setup since I set it up a few months ago, but I'm trying to add a new show and I'm getting a "Can't create folder" error. The "TV" folder is in my home directory and it has a lock icon on it now. I can't manually add any new folders either.

What command do I need to set this folder so It can be written to by Sick Beard/sabnzbd?

:suicide:

Open a terminal and try
code:
sudo chmod -R +rw ~

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009

frameset posted:

Open a terminal and try
code:
sudo chmod -R +rw ~

Well, thanks for the response but that didn't do it. I ran the above command as well as
code:
sudo chmod -R +rw ~/TV
and neither looks like they changed anything. Still have the grey lock icon on the folder and cannot create any new folders. I didn't get any errors though so that's an improvement from my previous attempts. When I go to the permissions tab it says its owned by "nobobdy". :confused:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Run this in a terminal:
code:
ls -lD ~
ls -lD ~/TV
That will tell you among other things the user and group of the directory. 'nobody' is a valid user, so it's possible that it somehow got reset.

Depending of it it's just the TV directory that's messed up, or the whole home directory, run this:
code:
sudo chown -R sleepstuipd ~
or
code:
sudo down -R sleepstupid ~/TV
Replace sleepstupid with your username on the machine.

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009
Thank You frameset and FISHMANPET!

Turns out it was just the "TV" folder that was assigned to nobody. FISHMANPET's last command cleared it up.

:worship:

Next question, has anyone upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10 with regards to sick beard/sabnzbd?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

If SABNzbd etc runs as nobody, you're going to want it to be able to write to those directories, which will be a problem if everything is chmod'ed to 755 and owned by you. One way to fix this would be to chmod it to 775 and then chgrp it to nobody (or, if you want to get sassy, at nobody and yourself to a new group and then make that the group of the relevant directory structure).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Does Supernews split their takedowns between US and EU, or are they a gone on one, gone on all type provider? I have the EU server set up as a backup, but recently I've had a number of posts (all within the same group) where I'm only getting a few hundred KB downloaded and tens of thousands of missing articles rather than the 10-20GB I was expecting. The age range on these posts has covered everywhere from one week to nearly maxing out retention, so it doesn't seem to be just me being too early or too late.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Sleepstupid posted:

Next question, has anyone upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10 with regards to sick beard/sabnzbd?

I don't use sick beard, but I haven't had any problems so far with sabnzbd.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

My SABnzbd+ has stopped picking up RSS bookmarks from NZBMatrix for some reason. It was working absolutely fine as of last weekend, but I just noticed that some stuff I bookmarked a few days ago hasn't even entered my SABnzbd+ download queue. I've tried updating to the newest SABnzbd+ release, but that didn't help. I've also tried completely clearing the bookmarks list in NZBMatrix, and my bookmark history within SABnzbd+, but that didn't help either.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
I'm having trouble with my sickbearg installation. Whenever I shut down the computer or close Chrome, it reverts back to my default settings. Am I somehow not saving the settings correctly?

Strat
Nov 6, 2004

moron posted:

My SABnzbd+ has stopped picking up RSS bookmarks from NZBMatrix for some reason. It was working absolutely fine as of last weekend, but I just noticed that some stuff I bookmarked a few days ago hasn't even entered my SABnzbd+ download queue. I've tried updating to the newest SABnzbd+ release, but that didn't help. I've also tried completely clearing the bookmarks list in NZBMatrix, and my bookmark history within SABnzbd+, but that didn't help either.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

quote:

RSS Direct Download URL Change (Added: 10/Oct/2011)
Friday 14th October the old RSS Direct Download URL (http://nzbmatrix.com/api-nzb-download.php) will be changed to reflect the current API direct download url (http://api.nzbmatrix.com/v1.1/download.php) For most users of the RSS this will have no effect, but if you use scripts or 3rd part apps it might. A redirect will remain in place once the change has been made

UPDATE 18th October, this change has now taken place.

I'd say that will do it.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

wolrah posted:

Does Supernews split their takedowns between US and EU, or are they a gone on one, gone on all type provider? I have the EU server set up as a backup, but recently I've had a number of posts (all within the same group) where I'm only getting a few hundred KB downloaded and tens of thousands of missing articles rather than the 10-20GB I was expecting. The age range on these posts has covered everywhere from one week to nearly maxing out retention, so it doesn't seem to be just me being too early or too late.

When Giganews/supernews does a DMCA takedown, they usually remove the first 2 parts of every file posted, across all servers. If you go with them, you kinda need a block account as a backup somewhere else.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Lenins Potato posted:

When Giganews/supernews does a DMCA takedown, they usually remove the first 2 parts of every file posted, across all servers. If you go with them, you kinda need a block account as a backup somewhere else.

See that's what I thought happened, but these are entirely missing. Not a single part of any file is there according to SAB and confirmed by watching the logs during a redownload attempt. I'll probably test out a few block providers this weekend.

Mr. Motivator
Apr 17, 2005
I am displeased
Anyone else seeing slow speeds on astraweb this morning? I'm on the EU SSL server.

Is astraweb still considered the best provider? Their $25 for 180GB seems pretty good still.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Lenins Potato posted:

No, I didn't have to make up a business. They didn't care about any of that. I even flat out told them I was in cap trouble on residential. The install fee, no way around that. You have to use their equipment. Like Straker said, I'm not sure how hard they'll press the issue if you get your own Docsis 3 modem, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it. Thats also the same standard rate I'm paying too.

Edit: Oh, the great thing about Business class is the customer service. When you call them up, you typically don't have to go through the whole "unplug your modem" bullshit before they even check to see if there is a problem in the area.
When I did this a year ago, I called up and when they quoted me the install fee and contract, I hemmed and hawed and said I wasn't sure I wanted to commit to all that and that I'd call them back after I thought about it. I let it sit for a week and the sales rep called me back to ask if I had given it more thought. I told him I'd only do it if he gave me a 1-year contract (instead of 2 or 3 years) and no install fee, and he did it without hesitation. I think the sales reps are on sign-up commissions and they'll work with you to make the deal.

But at any rate, Comcast business class is excellent. The modem is rock solid and nobody bothers me about bandwidth. At $60/month it's not really that much more than residential service.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

What does everyone use a manual scraper for metadata? Couch Potato usually does a pretty good job of naming stuff but I usually have less processed stuff with Sickbeard. Getting TV shows to be properly organized in XBMC is a pain sometimes.

CP is good because even if I get a movie from another source, say ripping it from DVD, I can put it in my CP processing folder and it'll snatch it right up. With SB, processing only seems to work if I queue it up from SABnzbd(unless I'm doing it wrong).

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 22, 2011

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
You can manually post process in Sickbeard unless I'm misunderstanding what you're talking about, it's literally a link on the home screen below the navigation menu. I don't bother with CP naming stuff, XBMC scrapes it just fine 99% of the time and I just have SAB move all of the categorized content to their own directories. Sickbeard does a pretty good job with metadata stuff as well, I've had very few problems with it.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Yeah SB will add nfo files and rename TV shows just fine. I wind up putting them in the correct folder with the TV SHOW - Season#Episode# naming scheme, tell SB to rescan files and then rename files and they are good to go.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Has anybody else noticed NZBMatrix being really slow a lot of the time? It's getting to be unusable.

edit: the page finally loaded and they've already addressed the issue. Disregard.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Roving Reporter posted:

What does everyone use a manual scraper for metadata? Couch Potato usually does a pretty good job of naming stuff but I usually have less processed stuff with Sickbeard. Getting TV shows to be properly organized in XBMC is a pain sometimes.

CP is good because even if I get a movie from another source, say ripping it from DVD, I can put it in my CP processing folder and it'll snatch it right up. With SB, processing only seems to work if I queue it up from SABnzbd(unless I'm doing it wrong).

Sickbeard makes everything dead simple, if you're having problems with it then you've set it up wrong or you're using it wrong. Though I don't know what "I usually have less process stuff with Sickbeard" means.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
For you Win 7 + Sab/Sickbeard users out there, is there any way to make Sickbeard run at Windows start (like SABNZBD does), but NOT open a new browser window when it's finished launching?

edit: gently caress like 25 seconds later I find the
code:
launch browser = 1
line in the config

edit2: which apparently does nothing...hmm

Wicaeed fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 24, 2011

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Wicaeed posted:

For you Win 7 + Sab/Sickbeard users out there, is there any way to make Sickbeard run at Windows start (like SABNZBD does), but NOT open a new browser window when it's finished launching?

In config/general, there's an option "Launch browser". But I would've thought that'd be linked to the ini.

Note that I run from trunk so it may be a new thing.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Ehh it was unchecked but still launching the browser window, had to check it, save settings and then uncheck it to get it to work.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I just edited a show on thetvdb.com, refreshed the show in Sickbeard, and there it was.

I feel so powerful :3:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

I just edited a show on thetvdb.com, refreshed the show in Sickbeard, and there it was.

I feel so powerful :3:

Then you're going to have the worst day ever when some nerd edits it back.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
wrong thread im retarded

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 24, 2011

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Then you're going to have the worst day ever when some nerd edits it back.

The show was ???, nobody had even bothered to put in the first two seasons. I think I'm in the clear on this one.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 24, 2011

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

The show was <X>

Don't do that please, the mods have warned us repeatedly. Not trying to be captain nitpick, it can get the whole thread closed and it has happened to similar threads in the past.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

The Gunslinger posted:

Don't do that please, the mods have warned us repeatedly. Not trying to be captain nitpick, it can get the whole thread closed and it has happened to similar threads in the past.

Edited to be safe, but is it against the rules to talk about tvdb at all? All I did was updated an online database of show info (literally, that's all I did).

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

Edited to be safe, but is it against the rules to talk about tvdb at all? All I did was updated an online database of show info (literally, that's all I did).

I think they said not to discuss specific content but if in doubt you might want to send one of them a quick PM. The OP might have the info too, I forget to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

I run files through MetaGenerator to get synopsis/cast/jpeg, etc., before I PyTivo them over, because I'm anal like that and I want all my TiVo shows to look the same. Is there a way to attach the meta data automatically with Sickbeard?