Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'm looking to try a survival island-like challenge map. Not really sure where to look..any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OurLivesOnline
Nov 5, 2009

let's be friends

truncated aardvar posted:

Do you know if there's a reason he's using pistons over lava, other than the coolness factor?

That way there isn't any chance of losing any items to the lava.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
^:argh: I have been beaten!

Do you know if there's a reason he's using pistons over lava, other than the coolness factor?

Because there's a higher chance of the lava burning up the items mobs drop. But yes, I imagine primarily for the awesomeness of having a mechanized mob mangler.

I think his spawn trap floors are needlessly convoluted and relatively inneffectual however.

The Snark fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 24, 2011

King of Cheeses
Jul 25, 2007
Crusty on the outside, smooth and creamy on the inside.

Originally I just used pistons mainly for coolness. Piston machines look great and I had a lot of fun with the restone and getting it all to work. However, with pistons you've less chance of drops getting burnt and also I think the piston mob grinder is better at getting spiders. Ever since Notch made them climb walls its been a pain to get them into the bottom of the grinder and kill them. You still often need to stand at the bottom so they come down to you though.

King of Cheeses
Jul 25, 2007
Crusty on the outside, smooth and creamy on the inside.

The Snark posted:

I think his spawn trap floors are needlessly convoluted and relatively inneffectual however.

Before, when you could hammer the F key to temporarily see inside the grinder (during screen update) the 'checkerboard' spawn floors looked pretty good at allowing mobs to spawn with also good chance for them to fall to floor below. Suggestions are always welcome.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I want to set up a private server for myself and a few friends, and I have a few questions:

• Would I be able to run a creative map and a survival map on the same server? There would be a couple of young kids who get pretty scared around zombies, etc., so the creative mode might be the ticket for them.
  • I've never been on or started a server before, I'm planning to use the laptop I play MC on (i5, 4GB RAM) or an old laptop (Celeron, maybe 1GB RAM), will these work OK for up to 4-6 players?
  • Finally, can demo versions of the computer or mobile game connect to servers?

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!
For the first point at least you can change the gamemode on the fly for individual players. I think you need to be an admin, but you just type in '/gamemode playername 1', minus the quotes. (1 is for creative, 0 is for survival).

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Wow, that's awesome - so the young'uns wouldn't even see monsters (do creative players even see night time?) while me and their dad would be fighting off hordes of endermen and creepers? :) Would they just see craters appear in the ground if we get attacked?

ninja edit: actually talking to their dad now and 'the blocky monsters don't seem that scary' so we'll probably just stick with survival - although it would be funny if they can't help us fight off endermen because they can't see them

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

krushgroove posted:

Wow, that's awesome - so the young'uns wouldn't even see monsters (do creative players even see night time?) while me and their dad would be fighting off hordes of endermen and creepers? :) Would they just see craters appear in the ground if we get attacked?

Creative players see the monsters and nighttime, they're just immune. What you were really asking for was a seperate map that's on peaceful mode (and possible also creative mode, depending on what you want). I can't answer that.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Oct 24, 2011

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Creative mode players see day and night as normal, and can also see and be attacked by monsters - they are just invulnerable, can fly and can place unlimited numbers of blocks. In singleplayer they can also attack monsters from a higher distance but I'm not sure whether that's also the case in multiplayer.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MikeJF posted:

Creative players see the monsters and nighttime, they're just immune. What you were really asking for was a seperate map that's on peaceful mode (and possible also creative mode, depending on what you want). I can't answer that.

I'm pretty sure he was asking if there was a way to set some players to Survival while others are in Creative on the same map (and also remove the hostile mobs for the ones in Creative). A plugin to do that would be pretty neat but it doesn't exist as far as I know.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CJacobs posted:

I'm pretty sure he was asking if there was a way to set some players to Survival while others are in Creative on the same map. A plugin to do that would be pretty neat but it doesn't exist as far as I know.

He said that, but he gave his reason as the young kids being scared of the zombies and seemed to think being in creative would make them not see the enemies, so I think he had peaceful and creative confused.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Replace the zombie skins with mime skins and the sound files with empty .ogg/,wav files, whichever format is used.

Still creepy to adults but not as creepy for kids.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Insta-death from creepers even with pieces of armor is loving obnoxious. They need to be nerfed a bit.

Ok I'm done bitching.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

MikeJF posted:

I think he had peaceful and creative confused.

I think that's it - I wasn't aware there was a peaceful mode actually. It's great there is, at least for the kids. Originally I was asking if I could run a creative map and a survival map on the same server, but that question is moot now because the kids are apparently okay with blocky zombies. How they'll handle creepers and endermen I have no idea, but I've warned their dad.

I'm still curious if demo versions can connect to servers, so I can talk some other friends into playing. The dad I'm talking to will buy one copy of the full version so he and his boys can at least try out the full game in single player, then log into the server if they get into it.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Can anybody tell me if Optimine is useful if you're playing on a Multiplayer server? Obviously chunk loading won't be affected, but will it make me get better performance in terms of rendering and optimisation of that kinda thing?

Making a 1.8 world has made my game pretty much unplayable. Getting lockups every few seconds. For 10 seconds at a time, then the screen updates, then stops again. Worse on multiplayer, not as bad on single player.

Athlon 6000+, 2gig ram, Geforce 8800GTS. XP 32 bit (but I'm going to install 64 bit and see if 64 bit java will help). I have no interest in Windows 7 yet.

1.7 worlds run no problem, so I'm confused.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

thehustler posted:

XP 32 bit (but I'm going to install 64 bit and see if 64 bit java will help).

Don't. XP 64-bit was basically an unsupported, fairly broken specialized operating system used only for specific applications that needed 64-bit support. You'll find no drivers for most of what you do and the system is just... crap.

Mainstream 64-bit was only introduced from Vista onwards. If you want real 64-bit, you have to upgrade.

Anyways, Optifine may help you somewhat. Give it an install and see what happens. Nothing to lose, anyway.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Trivia posted:

Insta-death from creepers even with pieces of armor is loving obnoxious. They need to be nerfed a bit.

Ok I'm done bitching.

I can find fifty billion posts across the internet (and reddit) whining about how the game isn't hard enough. Don't you remember the "Survive the first day" challenge?! I don't, because it was always easy as poo poo to just dig a hole and walk away from your computer for 10 minutes, but apparently beds just ruined the difficulty. I've stopped reading the Minecraft reddit threads, but I can't escape their eternal circlejerking.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

MikeJF posted:

Don't. XP 64-bit was basically an unsupported, fairly broken specialized operating system used only for specific applications that needed 64-bit support. You'll find no drivers for most of what you do and the system is just... crap.

Mainstream 64-bit was only introduced from Vista onwards. If you want real 64-bit, you have to upgrade.

Anyways, Optifine may help you somewhat. Give it an install and see what happens. Nothing to lose, anyway.

Interesting. It's mostly due to my wife whining about having to use Win 7, I quite like it but she uses the computer too and I think she'd go off on one if I put it on.

We'll see how Optifine goes I guess. And I've updated the Lightweight Java game library thing.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

CJacobs posted:

I'm pretty sure he was asking if there was a way to set some players to Survival while others are in Creative on the same map (and also remove the hostile mobs for the ones in Creative). A plugin to do that would be pretty neat but it doesn't exist as far as I know.

Bukkit does this? Or maybe it's the MCMyAdmin?

I am able to /mode #playername 0|1 and that player will be creative/survival.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Nyyen posted:

I'm floating *snip*

I'm kidding...my steam name is arkitektbmw...so yeah. Try me on that name.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Trivia posted:

Ok I'm done bitching.

This mourning I managed to survive two creepers exploding one after the other literally in my face thanks to a full set of iron armor. And I know I've survived half that much damage wearing a full set of leather. So, maybe don't go cave diving until you have a full set of armor of some kind?

edit: Or play on normal difficulty if your on hard.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Why can't we tint glass yet? Dyes are in place, let us stain glass the same way we can wool.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

This is interesting: Yogscast: credit us for Minecraft's success

I'd read that article, but I'm pretty sure I won't get that issue of Edge, due to some subscribtion issues (I didn't pay).

If someone does get to read that article, I'd love a brief summary:)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Iacen posted:

I'd read that article, but I'm pretty sure I won't get that issue of Edge, due to some subscribtion issues (I didn't pay).

One of the folks who makes unfunny let's play videos of Minecraft makes a self-aggrandizing claim, gets blown way way way out of proportion by headline writer.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Iacen posted:

I think I'd definitely agree with that. The title is misleading though. The article is about how they should have some of the credit, while the title makes it sound like they are the reason minecraft was successful. Minor nitpick about the article itself.

Not to mention, Notch totally loves them so at this point Yogscast is basically just free advertising for him which I'm sure he likes.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Nyyen posted:

I'm floating an idea for a server for anyone interested. I have a 300mb map using the "Wasteland" seed that I am developing towards what is essentially an enormous SP exploration map. I'm not really to into the big ridiculous constructions you find on most maps, preferring more subtle creations. Instead I have been building ruins and partially collapsed dungeons spread across the map. I have heavily focused on traps and hidden entrances and the like so that instead of cresting the hill and finding some huge land mark, you could instead be bushwhacking through a jungle and stumble across a long lost civilization filled with traps and baddies. No cities, but plenty of scenes strait out of Indiana Jones/The Lost World.

Additionally, I have been focusing on adding plenty of little things like individual cabins and graveyards with marked graves and loot for those that know where to look so no matter where you go you will find something that adds some personality to the world. The stranger and more quirky each little scene is, the better. Even if there is no loot, just a memorable scene is worth it. Demonic altars, carved effigies of long dead gods in the sides of mountains, haunted towns with a hidden story played out through signs and clues, whatever it might be, bring it on.

The seed ended up producing a world with very large biomes and decent but not absurd oceans, so every trek across the desert takes a decent amount of time, but you can make it the next site within a day. There are NPC villages spread here and there, but they aren't that common. There are large mountains clusters taking up 10x10 chunks spread across the map, but each is isolated from every other.

If anyone would be interested in grabbing a spot, I plan on running a 10 or more person server once I get a ram upgrade. I already have two main sites finished, but I have easily 10 or 20 more in need of attention, plus I have been using editors to add in floating islands and other large exotic features, plus importing every decent land feature I have come across so there is no shortage of starting points for whatever you might want and of course one you stake out a claim you can do whatever you want as long as it isn't another lava cock or bit of pokemon pixel art. I hope to fill up the whole thing then release it as a SP survival map to the forums. If it goes over well, we could perhaps make a collaborative series of similar themed maps.

Can you post a couple pics or videos of what you've done thus far??? I'm making an Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Golden Dong dungeon on the server I play on :colbert: I found intersecting ravines though a hole in a pine forest and set to work. I've made the forest super dense and turned the big mountain nearby into a volcano. My goal is to make a post when it's finished, with hints to the location posted in the various cities on the server. The forest will also have a few dud holes with traps hidden amongst the real entrance to the dungeon.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Iacen posted:

Wow, that headline is way more adversarial than the actual quote is. Though I really don't think Yogs did that much for Minecraft's success, as far as I've seen, only the minecraft forum people and us watch it, really. At least, I know a few groups of friends who all play Minecraft, and none of them know what Yogscast is except me (and I only do because of this thread)

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

waffle posted:

Wow, that headline is way more adversarial than the actual quote is. Though I really don't think Yogs did that much for Minecraft's success, as far as I've seen, only the minecraft forum people and us watch it, really. At least, I know a few groups of friends who all play Minecraft, and none of them know what Yogscast is except me (and I only do because of this thread)

Simon and Lewis were almost certainly kidding around, but I think you underestimate the Yogscast's success. They're consistently some of the most watched gaming videos on youtube.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

waffle posted:

According to the article, their channel gets 80million views a month and only 3million own Minecraft. I think it's more than just us and the MC forums watching it.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

glitchwraith posted:

This mourning I managed to survive two creepers exploding one after the other literally in my face thanks to a full set of iron armor. And I know I've survived half that much damage wearing a full set of leather. So, maybe don't go cave diving until you have a full set of armor of some kind?

edit: Or play on normal difficulty if your on hard.

I do play on normal difficulty and all I had managed to make was a chestpiece. I was in the process of harvesting iron for more.

My real gripe is that creepers making no noise is in my opinion bad game design. Deaths resulting from them just feel cheap and random. I never get pissed when I die to a zombie or skeleton or spider. In those situations I can plainly see where I went wrong and adjust accordingly. If I hear mob noises, I stay away unless I'm prepared.

With creepers you just never know when they'll pop out. Coupled with them one-shotting players is just lovely. I get the feeling their strength has been upped, but that's probably just me.

This game is not difficult and never really was meant to be difficult if you ask me. Arguing that nerfing creeper damage would make the game too easy is missing the forest for the trees.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Trivia posted:

With creepers you just never know when they'll pop out.

They're called 'creepers' for a reason you know.

Nyyen posted:

I'm floating an idea for a server for anyone interested. I have a 300mb map using the "Wasteland" seed that I am developing towards what is essentially an enormous SP exploration map. I'm not really to into the big ridiculous constructions you find on most maps, preferring more subtle creations. Instead I have been building ruins and partially collapsed dungeons spread across the map. I have heavily focused on traps and hidden entrances and the like so that instead of cresting the hill and finding some huge land mark, you could instead be bushwhacking through a jungle and stumble across a long lost civilization filled with traps and baddies. No cities, but plenty of scenes strait out of Indiana Jones/The Lost World.

I don't think I would have the time/am talented enough to really contribute, but this sounds amazing and I want to explore the finished map so bad right now.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 24, 2011

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Can you post a couple pics or videos of what you've done thus far??? I'm making an Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Golden Dong dungeon on the server I play on :colbert: I found intersecting ravines though a hole in a pine forest and set to work. I've made the forest super dense and turned the big mountain nearby into a volcano. My goal is to make a post when it's finished, with hints to the location posted in the various cities on the server. The forest will also have a few dud holes with traps hidden amongst the real entrance to the dungeon.

I have classes until this afternoon but once I get back to my apartment I will throw up some pictures.

Oh and arkitektbmw, I searched for you on steam and couldn't find you. Do you have PMs?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I know the Yogscast got me to purchase Minecraft. Watching their bumbling adventures was the tipping point for me. So thanks Simon, thanks Lewis! My free time will never return!

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Trivia posted:

I do play on normal difficulty and all I had managed to make was a chestpiece. I was in the process of harvesting iron for more.

My real gripe is that creepers making no noise is in my opinion bad game design. Deaths resulting from them just feel cheap and random. I never get pissed when I die to a zombie or skeleton or spider. In those situations I can plainly see where I went wrong and adjust accordingly. If I hear mob noises, I stay away unless I'm prepared.

With creepers you just never know when they'll pop out. Coupled with them one-shotting players is just lovely. I get the feeling their strength has been upped, but that's probably just me.

This game is not difficult and never really was meant to be difficult if you ask me. Arguing that nerfing creeper damage would make the game too easy is missing the forest for the trees.

Well, there are some safe-guards you don't seem to be employing. First, as I said before, get a full set of armor, even if it's mostly leather. It should protect you from at least one creeper explosion. If cows are rare on your map, or you don't want to wait on a wheat/cow farm, scout cave entrances and mountains for surface level iron.

If you must go deeper for iron without full armor, scout areas around ore deposits before you start mining. That way if there's a creeper, you'll find him before he finds you. After the area is lightened up, you might temporarily seal it off from the rest of the cave system to further secure the area.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

glitchwraith posted:

After the area is lightened up, you might temporarily seal it off from the rest of the cave system to further secure the area.

I do this a lot. I like to fully exploit the ore deposits in my general area before moving on, and this method ensures I don't get creeped from farther down the cave.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
Before harvesting iron:

1) Harvest lots of trees.
2) Use saplings to plant more trees
3) Harvest those trees
4) Split the wood up so you have a 50/50 mix of sticks/charcoal
5) Create three or four stacks of torches

Now go mining and just light the hell out of any place where you're digging. Keep an eye around you when you've found a seam and you might to even be able to adventure without armor.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Man, Creative mode is really the way to go, when you want to build poo poo underwater. This is what I've always wanted when I just want to play around with my virtual blocks.

This game:allears:

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Yogscast, and especially their Minecraft content, didn't get really big until after the first million copies of Minecraft were sold (if I'm remembering stuff correctly), so its "success" isn't due to them, but it almost certainly helped it get as big as its ended up, plausibly contributing like a +30% multiplier affect.

That being said, to me the actual quote sounds like they were saying it more jovially, like they feel as though they are part of something bigger than themselves rather than owed something because they themselves are so important (they undoubtedly would agree that most of the audience that they have now wouldn't be there were it not for Minecraft). Getting your words sensationalized is how you learn the hard way not to give print-only interviews to struggling for-profit publications, so hopefully they'll insist on videos of their interviews in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Iacen posted:

Realised I was reading this copy of Edge a short time ago. Congrats Yogs on the coverage! (Edge is a pretty awesome mag)

click for big

e- oops you were after a summary. Well, xephos/honeydew team up during their WoW times and make videos that are humourous and different from the norm. Goes down a storm. Minecraft comes out, Yogs do their thing with it, success ensues.

It's doesn't really come off as 'Minecraft did well thanks to us!!', in fact reading it I can almost picture Simon breaking into one of his giggle fits after saying they are minecraft PR

andyf fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 24, 2011