Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

indigi posted:

I really am at a loss for words. What?

sorry. it's one of my favourite lines from the movie idiocracy. it's set in the future where drinking water has been replaced with a type of gatorade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So I brewed a smaller imperial stout on Thursday. Simple recipe:
15 # rahr 2-row
1 # briess crystal 80
1 # crisp chocolate
.75 # crisp roasted barley
.5 # crisp crystal 60

2 oz magnum (15.2%) @ 90
.5 oz hallertau mf (4.2%) @ 15

OG: 1.084
IBU: ~60

Well I pitched the cake from a 1.06 OG porter that was 2 weeks old into this wort at 12am 10/21/11. 10 hours later it had already clogged the airlock, so I loosened the bucket lid so it was just laying on the top and replaced the airlock with some sanitized aluminum foil to cover the hole.

After 24 hours the Krausen subsided some so I put the airlock back on. This morning I noticed it was not bubbling regularly, which was surprising since it is fermenting at 62*

Well I let it raise up to 66* with no bubbling so I took a gravity reading and was shocked to see it was 1.022! Less than 2 days using a low attenuating and highly flocculant strain (Fuller's) at low temps in a stout! It tasted sweet and there is was yeast in the sample so I think it may even drop a little more.

I am thinking about adding a couple pounds of sugar to boost the ABV a bit, any thoughts?

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Yeah, I use cheap vodka too. I occasionally get suckback (because I don't have a fermentation chamber and the temperature fluctuates a little), and I'd rather have vodka falling in than water, like from the toilet.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

yes yes i see, i understand
:wal::respek::stat:
not really even coming close to an answer since i'm brewing my first ever stout of any kind next week, but to mutilate the phrase: if 1.084 to 1.022 is smaller i don't want to be big. otohI know B.O.R.I.S., a well received oatmeal RIS, (the B is bodacious) has a FG of 1.036 (holy poo poo) so I guess there is room for growth

what's your end game in adding sugar? is it just alcohol you want or the warmness or the hotnesss or really i think at ~8.1% abv doesn't beg for a bunch of extra opportunities to introduce something unwanted for the sake of those qualities.

lastly, what is rahr two row and does 'crisp' actually mean anything?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

mewse posted:

sorry. it's one of my favourite lines from the movie idiocracy. it's set in the future where drinking water has been replaced with a type of gatorade

And watering crops too. Fun movie.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Darth Goku Jr posted:

not really even coming close to an answer since i'm brewing my first ever stout of any kind next week, but to mutilate the phrase: if 1.084 to 1.022 is smaller i don't want to be big. otohI know B.O.R.I.S., a well received oatmeal RIS, (the B is bodacious) has a FG of 1.036 (holy poo poo) so I guess there is room for growth

what's your end game in adding sugar? is it just alcohol you want or the warmness or the hotnesss or really i think at ~8.1% abv doesn't beg for a bunch of extra opportunities to introduce something unwanted for the sake of those qualities.

Rahr and Crisp are malsters.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Goku Jr posted:

The alcohol would be for warmth ad also to have a more potent drink. I am going to gift some of these for Christmas and want it to be more like 9.5-10% like most RIS.

I haven't tried Boris but CCG makes some pretty sweet stouts, and I'm sure they finish pretty high. They get 72% attenuation and use a sickening amount of special grains. Like 20%+ roasted grains and almost as much crystal malts in their ~10% Marshal Zuhkov.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I borrowed a friend's plate chiller today and am now highly envious of it. There's nothing wrong with my immersion chiller other than the fact that it takes like 45 minutes to chill down near pitching temps. With the plate chiller it was maybe ten minutes from kettle of boiling liquid to 65 degree wort in my carboy. poo poo is magic. It's kind of far down my gadget wish list just because like I said my current chiller works, but its convenience factor is impressive.

I'm a little nervous about infection since people say they're hard to clean and sanitize, but it seemed pretty pristine so I'll RDWHAHB on this one.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

yes yes i see, i understand
:wal::respek::stat:
Speaking of, RDWHAHB reached it's limit today during my bottling session and basically i'm going all keg all the time and never going back if i can help it. Jesus.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Docjowles posted:

I borrowed a friend's plate chiller today and am now highly envious of it. There's nothing wrong with my immersion chiller other than the fact that it takes like 45 minutes to chill down near pitching temps. With the plate chiller it was maybe ten minutes from kettle of boiling liquid to 65 degree wort in my carboy. poo poo is magic. It's kind of far down my gadget wish list just because like I said my current chiller works, but its convenience factor is impressive.

I'm a little nervous about infection since people say they're hard to clean and sanitize, but it seemed pretty pristine so I'll RDWHAHB on this one.

45 minutes immersion chilling and a plate chiller knocks it down to ~10 minutes?

Your immersion chiller must suck something fierce, or you have the flow really low/etc. I knock down to about 65 degrees with a 50' immersion chiller and just recirculating with a pump in about 10-15 depending on the weather. 45 would be horrifying.

Eventually I'm going to have money to buy a plate chiller when the one I want isn't perpetually on backorder. I want to recirculate through a plate chiller back into the kettle while the IC is in.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 24, 2011

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

ifuckedjesus posted:

I'm no pro - but I used water mixed with starsan for my airlock at first, but it bubbled like crazy & it created these huge soap bubbles that were going everywhere out the top of my airlock.

That's a good thing. It indicates outward pressure and a strong barrier of sanitizer.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
gently caress a plate chiller, once I get a pump I'm just gonna whirlpool that bitch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZiHTXf9Hps

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

porkface posted:

That's a good thing. It indicates outward pressure and a strong barrier of sanitizer.

With that much outward bound gas, there's no need for a sanitizer barrier.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Hypnolobster posted:

45 minutes immersion chilling and a plate chiller knocks it down to ~10 minutes?

Yeah it's a very small and basic model. I think 25', not doing any recirculating. So yeah it sucks something fierce ;)

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 24, 2011

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up

tesilential posted:

Why not throw the 15,10,5 additions all in at 1 or flameout? Supposedly better aroma and taste that that way.
The idea was to load on the hops on the back end, I used to do an old-fashioned 30 minute addition and such, but I should try that next time.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Amarillo and Citra pellets are up at Hopsdirect. Better hurry, though.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jo3sh posted:

With that much outward bound gas, there's no need for a sanitizer barrier.

That's not necessarily true. Works great for bacteria, but less so for critters like fruit flies, which will crawl through the fluid in your air lock and into your beer, unless said fluid kills them.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

When they invent a fruit fly that can crawl through the door of my ferment fridge, I will run screaming in the other direction.

Your point is taken though.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Jo3sh posted:

Christ, I don't even know what other types to get. Amarillo/Citra/Chinook are on my list. But that's about it.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I got Magnum, because it has good clean bittering and is pretty flexible, and Bravo, becasue it sounded interesting. With what I have, that should get me through most of 2012, especially if I buy another pound or two later on.

Northern Brewer is a good one, too.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jo3sh posted:

When they invent a fruit fly that can crawl through the door of my ferment fridge, I will run screaming in the other direction.

Your point is taken though.

Just wait'll they invent a fruit fly that comes with its own bottle opener. Or, for those of us that keg, its own CO2 canister.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Jo3sh posted:

I got Magnum, because it has good clean bittering and is pretty flexible, and Bravo, becasue it sounded interesting. With what I have, that should get me through most of 2012, especially if I buy another pound or two later on.

Northern Brewer is a good one, too.

You've got me about to get all 6 of those. Now I just need a vacuum sealer to go along with.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Hm, let me just delete that. It looks like that was kind of a dodgy unit.

Anyway, keep an eye on slickdeals and other deals websites for discounts on Foodsaver vacuum sealers.

Bad Munki posted:

Just wait'll they invent a fruit fly that comes with its own bottle opener. Or, for those of us that keg, its own CO2 canister.

Some rear end in a top hat is probably crossbreeding fruit flies with Tsetse flies right now to make an armor-piercing fruit fly. He runs a sour-mash whiskey distillery and is trying to boost his market share by ruining all other alcoholic beverages.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 24, 2011

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

Jo3sh posted:

I assume that the other varieties are from not fresh because they don't say, "New 2011".

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

They're probably not this year's harvest, but pellets keep well when stored cold in barrier bags. A few years ago, there was so much of a glut that at least some varieties were probably a couple years old in the shops.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
My only experience is with ales so far and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is unnecessary to rack a lager to secondary?

I've read that you should rack it to secondary when the krausen starts to fall and before lagering but I'm fermenting in an opaque bucket. It also seems like a lot of :effort:.

My intended fermentation schedule is 7 days at 54*, 7 days at 66*, and 28 days at 42*.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

j3rkstore posted:

My only experience is with ales so far and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is unnecessary to rack a lager to secondary?

I've read that you should rack it to secondary when the krausen starts to fall and before lagering but I'm fermenting in an opaque bucket. It also seems like a lot of :effort:.

My intended fermentation schedule is 7 days at 54*, 7 days at 66*, and 28 days at 42*.

Honestly, I don't think there is ever a time when a secondary is absolutely required. I'd certainly want to keep it on the yeast during the diacetyl rest or temp raise.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Jo3sh posted:

Already out of Citra :(

e: I got Amarillo and Willamette. I have some NB, Saaz, Cascade, and Simcoe already, so this should last me through the year. Might need to stock back up on a noble hop for Belgians/lagers at some point as I've only about a half pound left.

indigi fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 24, 2011

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
I managed to snag a pound each of Amarillo, Citra, and Cascade. I am freaking out right now though because I also need Simcoe. Were they available today from HopsDirect or are they not out yet?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

So my lager that was fermenting slowly finally bottomed out at 1.012 after ~6 weeks and tastes good, but has a decent amount of DMS aroma at 62*. I'd chalked this batch up as a loss already so I'm not too upset, but maybe I'll dry-hop it to mask it some.

I can't think of what in particular caused it since I've used this Pilsner malt plenty of times, and with a 100 minute boil + quick cooling it hasn't given me any DMS issues in other beers, but maybe the extremely weak fermentation wasn't strong enough to blow any residual DMS/DMS created during fermentation out? Maybe it's just due to just a weak, crappy pitch of yeast?

I know you can evolve most DMS out by kegging and carbing then bleeding CO2 out in a few cycles, but I don't know if I care that much.

Huge_Midget posted:

I managed to snag a pound each of Amarillo, Citra, and Cascade. I am freaking out right now though because I also need Simcoe. Were they available today from HopsDirect or are they not out yet?

I'd imagine they're gone. The whole leaves went in a blink.

ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002
filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez

Huge_Midget posted:

Hopsdirect doesn't sell Simcoe. You can either get it from freshops as leaf or you can wait until it's pelletized. Not sure who will have the best price for pellets but I will probably get it from Farmhouse Brewing.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I did not see any Simcoe on HopsDirect at any time yesterday, so I think ifuckedjesus is right. HopsDirect says they are releasing things in waves this year, so keep an eye on the site to see what else comes along - it's just barely possible they will get some Simcoe later on. Unless something really compelling comes along, I am pretty good for the year, though.

ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002
filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez

Jo3sh posted:

I did not see any Simcoe on HopsDirect at any time yesterday, so I think ifuckedjesus is right. HopsDirect says they are releasing things in waves this year, so keep an eye on the site to see what else comes along - it's just barely possible they will get some Simcoe later on. Unless something really compelling comes along, I am pretty good for the year, though.

Nope, no Simcoe. It says it in their FAQ http://www.hopsdirect.com/info/faq.html

"We do not grow or carry Simcoe, and as there aren’t many of this royalty protected variety available we have been subbing with Magnum’s with much success….and which are readily available and more economical."

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

So, This is my first year brewing, and my basement is starting to maintain a nice 60* instead of the nice 68* it seemed to be holding at during the late summer and early fall. I'll still doing ales for the foreseeable future. My question is, should I be worried about trying to rig something up to warm my wort/beer as it ferments? I have an electric blanket I could easily wrap around the carboy. How would I prevent it from getting overly heated? Should I just let things ferment longer? I'm not adverse to a longer ferment. I would like to avoid buying something to work around this problem, but if I need too....

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

indigi posted:

Already out of Citra :(

e: I got Amarillo and Willamette. I have some NB, Saaz, Cascade, and Simcoe already, so this should last me through the year. Might need to stock back up on a noble hop for Belgians/lagers at some point as I've only about a half pound left.

welp, gently caress.

Credit card # got stolen, so I can't order for a few days.

Maybe it's a good thing since I'me somewhat over budget for the month. I'll do without amarillo/chinook and maybe just order some magnum/cascade/nb in the next couple months.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

ifuckedjesus posted:

"We do not grow or carry Simcoe."

Hard to argue with that.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!
Tasted the cranberry beer a few days ago and it's got a huge gently caress off cranberry flavor. But not the kind I'm exactly looking for, right now it's sort of like chewing on a handful of cranberries - the flavor is there but its kind of 'chewy' instead of sharp. I would like to 'tart' it up a bit when I keg it. I'll double check again on which type of acid to use via Radical Brewing, but is it citric, malic, or ascorbic? The googles says Malic, is this correct?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Just so you all know, there are still some Amarillo hops left on hopsdirect.com. They just released some yesterday, and they limit 1 lb per customer, but it might be worth it to you.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TenjouUtena posted:

So, This is my first year brewing, and my basement is starting to maintain a nice 60* instead of the nice 68* it seemed to be holding at during the late summer and early fall. I'll still doing ales for the foreseeable future. My question is, should I be worried about trying to rig something up to warm my wort/beer as it ferments? I have an electric blanket I could easily wrap around the carboy. How would I prevent it from getting overly heated? Should I just let things ferment longer? I'm not adverse to a longer ferment. I would like to avoid buying something to work around this problem, but if I need too....

60* room temp is great. 68* means the wort is above 70* and can produce bad flavors, depending on the strain.

If the basement stays above 55*, I wouldn't do anything. Bring them upstairs after a week to let them finish up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.
So I think I might try my first double brew day this weekend. I ended up with a poo poo LOAD of pumpkins from my CSA box and I figured I'd make the pumpkin beer from BCS again since it seemed to go over pretty well.

Anyways, I'm planning on brewing it along side a Baltic porter. The BP will be a 10 gallon batch (Christmas presents, y'all) and the pumpkin beer will be 5 gallons. Any tips on the best way to get this done in the least amount of time? Which should I do first? How should I time things?