Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Pablo Gigante posted:

I don't think that page is good storytelling because the perspective and depth is all messed up and changes between panels. In the second panel it looks like Spidey is backed up directly against whatever's behind him, but in every other panel there's a lot of space. Also the ground in the last panel looks really weird and flat, or like they're standing on a log or something.

You're so mean! That's just your opinion! You have certainly pulled from a myriad of examples and backed up your opinions with facts and principles!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

We've now established that people either do or do not like Ramos. Move on to different art/artists now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I don't know if I heard about him from here or not but Kilian Eng has some of the most amazing art I've ever seen and I'd absolutely kill for a comic drawn by him:

The Statue

:drat:

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
In the interest of rebooting the thread:

Darwyn Cooke - Parker: The Hunter

David Mazzucchelli - Asterios Polyp

Michael Zulli - Grendel: Red, White, and Black

Mike Huddleston - The Coffin

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Heresiarch posted:

What blew my mind is that he is the same guy who did Batman: Year One. Really versatile and a great storyteller.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Emma Rios has really gotten my attention lately, especially with her more recent work for Marvel on the Osborn and Cloak and Dagger minis.

Her rendering of Marvel's Eternity:

Cloak and Dagger #1:

X-Men sketch:

I don't know what this is from, but it's crazy and I like it:

Osborn #3

(Really wish I had the pencils for this one)

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Heresiarch posted:

Darwyn Cooke - Parker: The Hunter

Michael Zulli - Grendel: Red, White, and Black

Mike Huddleston - The Coffin

I absolutely adore Darwyn Cooke and can't wait for the new Parker volume, I believe it's scheduled for next year?

The absolute amount of effor MAzzucchelli put into every letter in Asterios Polyp is astounding.

Huddleston is doing some really great work right now on Butcher Baker the righteous maker with Joe Casey.

An artist I really like is Michael Lark, seeing as he's about to come back to comics (Punisher with Rucka) after what was apparently a short break.

In tandem with Stefano Gaudino I think he looks really good, and he definitely services the story before anything else.

JackDarko fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 25, 2011

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

My problem with Emma Rios is that she has Marco Rudy disease where every page layout has to be hyper loving stylized to the point that it can make the page sometimes confusing. It can be cool, but sometimes it is just frustrating.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

From Infinity Gauntlet #5.
Ron Lim on pencils, Craig Laughlin, Christie Scheele are listed as the colourists.
This page is by far the most vibrant and beautiful colours I've seen in a comic though.

I think comics are best when they're crazy characters in wonderful voids.
Like Ditko doing his thing:

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006

Heresiarch posted:

No, not really.

If you're not capable of recognizing the difference between "stylized" and "wrong", then I can't really say anything to change your mind. I'm glad you have a wider variety of artists whose work you can enjoy, I guess?

Kirby is one of the best artists for showing the difference between stylized and wrong though. The blocky silhouettes he gives everyone are stylized, the hammerhead faces are just wrong. Of course part of the way you can tell is that the former are consistent while the latter, well I'd assume they only crop up when he was rushed but when was Kirby ever not producing an insane volume? I wonder how much of the bad american art in this thread is a result of the industry demanding output levels that are unrealistic for most artists.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

wyoming posted:

I think comics are best when they're crazy characters in wonderful voids.

Expanding upon this, I found a copy of Silver Surfer: Judgment Day in a used bookstore today.

John Buscema showing off space, hell, and explosions.
Stan Lee writing writing ridiculous and grandiose text.
It really is a fantastic comic. Well there are some sexism issues, but the art is beautiful.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

I know he has been mentioned before, but Skottie Young is amazing. The covers he did for Marvel Adventures: Spiderman are some of my favorites of all time!

ASM 611
MA. SpiderMan 53
MA Spiderman 57
MA Spiderman 56

Also, I don't totally understand why, but I cannot stand Todd Nauck's work. There is nothing about it that is particularly awful, its just lots of little stuff that adds up. Mainly it is his faces, Those jagged, sharp-edged faces.

clone saga redux

official page

There is no depth to most of the stuff he does, no real life. They look like drawings and don't convey much along the lines of action. Which is a shame, because from what I've read about him, he's actually a really cool dude.

Dr. Notadoctor
Aug 26, 2008

Roydrowsy posted:

Also, I don't totally understand why, but I cannot stand Todd Nauck's work. There is nothing about it that is particularly awful, its just lots of little stuff that adds up. Mainly it is his faces, Those jagged, sharp-edged faces.

clone saga redux

official page

There is no depth to most of the stuff he does, no real life. They look like drawings and don't convey much along the lines of action. Which is a shame, because from what I've read about him, he's actually a really cool dude.

Yeah he's the kind of thing i think of when I think "generic superhero art." It's just very bland. Also the colorist completely ruins it. Everything is very warm and there are a ton of lens-flares. It kinda just blends together.

edit: Ashley Wood did a really cool run on the Metal Gear comics:

I feel like she did a really good job of conveying sneaking around in the dead of winter takin out bad guys

edit 2 for grammar

Dr. Notadoctor fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 20, 2011

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeah, Ashley Wood is amazing. He's a guy, though. :)

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
Not a good storyteller imo, but he's a great artist.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SkellingTon Loc posted:

Yeah that's a pretty important distinction to make when it comes to comics. It's like the difference between a concept artist and a designer. I can think of so many comics where an important moment's muddled by the artist failing to convey an emotion or interaction in a clear way.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

phelps posted:

Reprint this stuff, Marvel.

From the Funny Panels thread. I love these!

Dr. Notadoctor
Aug 26, 2008

SkellingTon Loc posted:

Yeah I'd agree with that. His art is incredibly gestural and energetic...which results in his images being hard to decipher sometimes. Also I did not know he was a guy. Whoops.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
According to the "Eschergirls" feed, it's from Pariah #3 (I don't know if that's true because I've only seen this image out of context and am not familiar with Pariah, but that's the source as well as I know):

I really don't think I should have to specify if I consider this "good" or "bad".

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I loved Todd Nauck on Young Justice, but haven't been terribly impressed with his work since; he seems to be emphasizing all the wrong tendencies in his work. What was a quirky, kinda cartoony style seems to have evolved into an over-stylized mishmash.

Still, I don't think you get a good sense of what he brings to the table with single, static pin-up images. One of the things I think Nauck does best is that he's an excellent storyteller; there's rarely any of those "I can't tell what's happening in this panel" moments from him, and he's very good at selling a script's emotional nuance.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Pick posted:

According to the "Eschergirls" feed, it's from Pariah #3 (I don't know if that's true because I've only seen this image out of context and am not familiar with Pariah, but that's the source as well as I know):

I really don't think I should have to specify if I consider this "good" or "bad".

Oh my god, that's horrific. It's like looking at a Liefield panel during a fever dream.

RebelWorm
Mar 23, 2011

I'm a tough guy
The faces remind me of the Galo Sengen video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EKTw50Uf8M

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cuchulain posted:

Oh my god, that's horrific. It's like looking at a Liefield panel during a fever dream.

Rob Liefield's Promethea.

Make it happen.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
Two staples of comic art:

Simon Bisley is a love him or hate him type of artist because he was the Heavy Metal artist who drew erotic fantasy involving chicks and swords with rear end cheeks in full display. His work comes across as Frank Frazetta on lsd. I love him though.

There's nothing fancy about John Byrne. He has a clean classic style and he captures the look and feel of the 1970's and early 80's like none other. I like his eye for detail when it comes to hairstyles and clothes. Claremont and Byrne's Uncanny X-men run was magic.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
In my opinion Jae Lee was the best out of the crop of artists that became popular in the 90's.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
This is about 20 years too late for anyone to care, but these Francavilla covers for Archie meets KISS own thoroughly

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded

Modus Operandi posted:

In my opinion Jae Lee was the best out of the crop of artists that became popular in the 90's.

I think Jae Lee is a fantastic artist, but the images you posted really highlight a problem I have with his work nowadays. It seems like every image he does is either in profile or directly face on (usually with the character's head pointed upward), with the misty background left to be filled in by the colourist. Don't get me wrong, individually it's still great work, but it feels to me like he's settled into a groove and is afraid to push himself anymore.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Mechanigma posted:

I think Jae Lee is a fantastic artist, but the images you posted really highlight a problem I have with his work nowadays. It seems like every image he does is either in profile or directly face on (usually with the character's head pointed upward), with the misty background left to be filled in by the colourist. Don't get me wrong, individually it's still great work, but it feels to me like he's settled into a groove and is afraid to push himself anymore.

Jae Lee does brilliant still images, but I find his sequential art storytelling to be... murky, at best. I don't know if I like seeing him draw comics but I love seeing him draw covers, if that makes any sense.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I haven't seen many of his interiors, but I thought he did a great job with the original Sentry series.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Other people are collecting really bad art : http://eschergirls.tumblr.com

Y Signal
Feb 17, 2009

I love you, Tiger Millionaire.
I love me some classic John Byrne, but Paul Smith is another artist from Claremont's X-Men run that I really do like.

He's great at establishing either a lighthearted or darker mood.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Mechanigma posted:

Yeah, I noticed this also. A lot of his frontal poses seem christ-like at times so I assume he has some kind of artistic fascination with divinity scenes. I still like his art though even though he uses a lot of the same profiles. I also like how he doesn't overdo the superhero physique. His people look remarkably normal but interesting to look at. I never liked Namor either until I read his run of it.

I also met him way back in '93 at a con and he was just getting somewhat known at the time. Super nice guy.

Modus Operandi fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 30, 2011

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Y Signal posted:

I love me some classic John Byrne, but Paul Smith is another artist from Claremont's X-Men run that I really do like.

He's great at establishing either a lighthearted or darker mood.
Wow, I forgot about smith. I really loved his work too.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Paul Smith is my favorite artist from Claremont's run. Although that may be colored by the fact that he was the artist on my first issues (hooray for X-Men Classic!).

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Semper Fudge posted:

This is about 20 years too late for anyone to care, but these Francavilla covers for Archie meets KISS own thoroughly

These are immensely cool.

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Paul Smith is my favorite artist from Claremont's run. Although that may be colored by the fact that he was the artist on my first issues (hooray for X-Men Classic!).

This. When I think X-Men art, I think Paul Smith. His art particularly was what drew me into my brother's comic collection (much to his chagrin) as a kid.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Awesomonster posted:

This. When I think X-Men art, I think Paul Smith. His art particularly was what drew me into my brother's comic collection (much to his chagrin) as a kid.

I always prefer Dave Cockrum

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.
He's great too, but I've always liked how Paul Smith drew Nightcrawler more, and since Nightcrawler was my favorite as a kid, Paul Smith wins. I guess it comes down to childhood preferences over anything else for me when it comes to x-men art. Which is why, when the 90s hit and all the art went all 90s on me, I quickly lost interest in the whole thing.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

What I hated the most about the 90's art movement was that you went from fairly realistic body proportions, clothing, and hair styles to men looking like bodybuilders or silverback apes and every woman had the basic stripper body with silicon looking breasts. This looks especially stupid on someone like Cyclops and even Professor Xavier. I can't be bothered to find it but there are a lot of 90's depictions of Xavier looking hilariously roided out sitting in his cyber chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Modus Operandi posted:

What I hated the most about the 90's art movement was that you went from fairly realistic body proportions, clothing, and hair styles to men looking like bodybuilders or silverback apes and every woman had the basic stripper body with silicon looking breasts. This looks especially stupid on someone like Cyclops and even Professor Xavier. I can't be bothered to find it but there are a lot of 90's depictions of Xavier looking hilariously roided out sitting in his cyber chair.

Life spent sittin' in a wheelchair pushing yourself along will give you some abso-loving-lutely amazing arms. Doesn't really explain the rest of 'im, thouhg :v: