Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Pierson posted:

Can someone confirm or deny you can only be invaded if the boss of the area you are in hasn't been killed? I just invaded a guy wearing full Pyro gear and buffed to hell and back and he destroyed me in milliseconds since I was in lowbie gear. That would be pretty shocking if he found a way to get that stuff without killing the Taurus dude.

The wages of sin is death. :(

I invaded a guy at level 12 on my new character at the Chapel, and he had a phantom with him doing 700 damage to mobs with a combustion-line spell. I didn't last long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Padgjj
Jan 4, 2008
Never trouble trouble 'til trouble troubles you

RBA Starblade posted:

So with Lost Izalith did From look at Elder Scrolls and think "Hmm, Oblivion was an interesting place, but you know what it needed? EVEN MORE BLOOM"?

Lost my souls in the lava . Shame I couldn't find them in there while looking at magma brighter than the loving sun! That level is like staring into a solaire eclipse.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Where do most of the invasions by darkwraiths take place? I figure I have a better shot of the blue eye stone working if I know their hunting spots.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Macksy posted:

Where do most of the invasions by darkwraiths take place? I figure I have a better shot of the blue eye stone working if I know their hunting spots.

I had a lot of luck at level 50 or so in anor londo.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What the hell are the non-standard ghosts in New Londo? They did some sort of grab and then lightning through the wall or something. It was terrifying.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Elysiume posted:

What the hell are the non-standard ghosts in New Londo? They did some sort of grab and then lightning through the wall or something. It was terrifying.

I think they're supposed to be banshees or something but they look like young women holding...dead babies? A toy?

I wish the hit detection on those ghosts wasn't so terrible. The only reason that part is hard is that half of my attacks completely whiff on them even though I'm locked on and they're right in front of me.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Elysiume posted:

Those are the females, I believe. And there's only a couple of them in the whole area.

All of the ghosts do a grab attack, but only the female ones do the lightning thing. It doesn't go through walls, but they can launch it at you while they're moving through one.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows

Pierson posted:

Can someone confirm or deny you can only be invaded if the boss of the area you are in hasn't been killed? I just invaded a guy wearing full Pyro gear and buffed to hell and back and he destroyed me in milliseconds since I was in lowbie gear. That would be pretty shocking if he found a way to get that stuff without killing the Taurus dude.

I'm pretty sure you just invaded a new game + guy. The PVP seems to ignore which playthrough you're on and only look at level. It's absolutely possible (and not even particularly hard) to be that low of a level and beat the game.

My question: Is there something additional I have to do to get Andrei to upgrade my weapons and sheild past +10? I gave him the Very Large Ember from the New Londo Ruins, but he doesn't seem to be giving me any options when I try to modify equipiment (and yes I selected that, not upgrade). The blacksmith in Anor Londo won't do it. Haven't checked with either two, but I feel like the fucker that took my ember should be doing the work.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
My jaw hit the floor after seeing Anor Londo for the first time. The sense of scale in this game is unbelievable, I'm actually worried this is going to prevent me from enjoying a lot of future games.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Brian Fellows posted:

My question: Is there something additional I have to do to get Andrei to upgrade my weapons and sheild past +10? I gave him the Very Large Ember from the New Londo Ruins, but he doesn't seem to be giving me any options when I try to modify equipiment (and yes I selected that, not upgrade). The blacksmith in Anor Londo won't do it. Haven't checked with either two, but I feel like the fucker that took my ember should be doing the work.

Are you checking the different tabs under Modify Equipment? The first page only shows you +5 to +6, you have to scroll left and right to get to Divine weapons and +10 to +11 and stuff.

It's definitely Andrei that does it.

Lesley Appleby
Jul 23, 2005

Wow, that got loud and creepy all of a sudden, didn't it?

Emron posted:

That's honestly not that far, though. Like...maybe 2 or 3 hours of playtime. You can make it back up quickly, you'll be really astonished at how fast you clear parts early in the game that gave you a lot of trouble the first time through. I got pissed off at New Londo enough to the point that I gave up trying to become a Darkwraith on this character and just went to the Duke's Archives, and started a new character to get started in on a heavy armor/high end/lightning zweihander build and got clear up to the entrance of blighttown (having beaten moonlight butterfly) in about 3 hours.

That's heartening. I was just happy to be finished (for the most part) with Depths/Blight Town.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

mistermojo posted:

I would love to see some kind of internal wiki/notes system in the next game. There is no reason why I should have to go look up some guide to figure out where a blacksmith is or where to get shards when I could just talk to Andre and he could tell me that he heard about a blacksmith in the Catacombs

You basically have to use a guide if you don't want to miss out on great armor or a hidden bonfire or NPC and that's annoying because the game is most enjoyable when you're going in blind and have no idea what to expect

I think the intent is for you to go on the Internet and find things there, or at the very least, learn from your fellows players. Not to mention, well, good old fashioned exploration. it's rather coherent with the design of the multiplayer aspect of the game.

On another topic, I just arrived in Anor Londo. While it's a pretty awe-inspiring place, especially when you realise fro what kind of denizens it was made ie, Giants, I can't help but both marvel at the design of certain zones, and regret how others feel a bit lifeless:
The Depths and Blightown, FPS issues aside, were awesome: they were respectively damp, claustrophobic and confusing, and a pretty credible shithole. The Darkroot Garden was pretty good as well: you really felt lost at night in a pretty dangerous forest. Also, ironically, it was maybe a bit more soothing than the rest of the game, courtesy of how it doesn't look as corrupted and haunted by shambling horrors. I barely dipped into the Catacombs, but so far, it's pretty solid: Not really creepy, but rather... solemn, for a lack of a batter zone. Speaking of which, I'm kinda disapointed that so fat, there was no place akin to the Tower of Latria. I only watched Squint's LP of Demon Souls, but it was truly one of the creepiest levels I saw in a video game.
Is there a similar "creepy abandonned place of torture and pain, still full of the horrible tools of the trade, mangled corpses and inhuman guardians" in Dark Souls as well?
Sen's Fortress was okay, I guess, if a bit empty for "a deadly house of trap", but the real losers in my opinion are the Burg and the Parish: They really feel bland and lifeless. The Parish doesn't really convey the feeling of either being a fortress or a church, and the Lower Burg is severly underused, and could have been, I don't know, a labyrinth of ill-lighted back alleys and dilapided buildings. Oh well. So far, the scenery has been excellent accross the board.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Whoo, getting behind him the whole time worked like a charm. I hadn't tried that before, so I didn't know that was a safe spot for that one variant of his AoE. The one where he pounds the ground in front of him won't hit you if you're on his side, but the horizontal arm movement one hits everywhere except behind him.

DAD NO
Sep 6, 2011

:nsacloud::downsa::nsacloud::downsa:
:downsa::nsacloud::downsa::nsacloud:
As someone who played Demon Souls - am I missing out on something new here? Just more of DS is a good enough reason to get this game, but I sold my PS3 and my xbox firmware is outdated so I'll have to actually shell out $50 for this one.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Apologies if this has probably been asked a hundred times but for a complete newbie who doesn't have all the time in the world, what is the 'easiest' starting class to pick in Dark Souls and what should I dump my souls into upgrading??

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Pierson posted:

You can actually bypass the taurus demon if you take the master key. If you are good enough you can low level most areas. The guy could have worked all the way to the second bell first, upgraded his hand and then come back later.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

MZ posted:

Apologies if this has probably been asked a hundred times but for a complete newbie who doesn't have all the time in the world, what is the 'easiest' starting class to pick in Dark Souls and what should I dump my souls into upgrading??
Easiest would probably be warrior, maybe? The best are pyromancer and wanderer, just from stats. Class is honestly pretty irrelevant other than starting stats. Absolutely nothing is class restricted, so class only determines a) your starting level, b) your starting stat spread, and c) your starting gear.

You generally want enough str/dex/fai to use your gear, and then primarily endurance if you're melee. Endurance is stamina for attacks, blocks, and rolls, as well as equip load for heavier gear. It's pretty necessary. Right now scaling is bad, so leveling str/dex/fai for damage is silly at this point.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.

DAD NO posted:

As someone who played Demon Souls - am I missing out on something new here? Just more of DS is a good enough reason to get this game, but I sold my PS3 and my xbox firmware is outdated so I'll have to actually shell out $50 for this one.

Are you actually asking us if this game is worth paying for since you can't pirate it?

sizerp
Dec 3, 2003
t3h pwn

DAD NO posted:

Poor baby has to buy a video game.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

MZ posted:

I'd recommend Pyromancer (Pyromancy is strong) or Cleric (extra Heal spell). Maybe Knight (is a tank).

Don't put more into Str/Dex than the minimum you need to equip whatever type of weapon(s) you want. Always feel free to put more points in Vitality and especially Endurance. Pyromancy and Pyromancers don't need any Int at all, and if you're wanting to focus on Pyromancy it is important to upgrade your Pyromancy Flame frequently, since its damage scales based on the Flame's level as opposed to your character level or stats.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

MZ posted:

Pyromancer is really good for newbies, starting with pumping points into Endurance, then vitality, and then whatever minimums you need for gear. Then the rest of your souls can boost your pyro hand, and improve whatever gear you want.

DAD NO
Sep 6, 2011

Oae Ui posted:

Are you actually asking us if this game is worth paying for since you can't pirate it?

sizerp posted:

Poor baby has to buy a video game.

Jesus christ sometimes I really hate this place. All I asked was if this game is worth $50 or if it's more of the same. Can you not get butthurt for two seconds?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

DAD NO posted:

Jesus christ sometimes I really hate this place. All I asked was if this game is worth $50 or if it's more of the same. Can you not get butthurt for two seconds?
When your question reads as "hard times have befallen me and I can't pirate this game, should I bother dropping $50 on it" you're liable to get some angry responses. So a) go gently caress yourself and b) yes, this game is amazing.

DAD NO
Sep 6, 2011

Elysiume posted:

When your question reads as "hard times have befallen me and I can't pirate this game, should I bother dropping $50 on it" you're liable to get some angry responses. So a) go gently caress yourself and b) yes, this game is amazing.

Thank you.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

areyoucontagious posted:

Pyromancer is really good for newbies, starting with pumping points into Endurance, then vitality, and then whatever minimums you need for gear. Then the rest of your souls can boost your pyro hand, and improve whatever gear you want.
Cleric is really good too as the starting heal and the faith to use it is really nice. You can get a second heal spell too which means you basically won't lose to attrition anytime soon while learning.

On the other hand Pyromancer fireball makes a lot of the more challenging initial stuff trivial.

You really can't go wrong - a lot of repeat players go with Pyromancer because they know the game already so defensive stuff isn't as rewarding as offensive stuff. You can make a case about the stats too but it's not as big a deal as the starting spells.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
So when I fought Kirk Knight of Thorns I not only got his shield but the barbed short sword too and I have to say it's a pretty drat good weapon. Right now debating on Lightning enchantments or fire for it.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I fell like I am getting into the swing of things here, beat the Depths without dying, and the Gaping Dragon without dying (although I summoned a Phantom, and he did like 70% of the damage to it but he died with it having 30 HP left. Feel bad for that guy). And that means Blighttown is next and I haven't heard... good things about it...

I did find that Pyromancer dude, which is cool because I always wanted my guy to be Melee focused but have spells as a back up, but how do I get more then one spell equipped at a time? Not having access to my heal spell for the Fire spell is kind of a drag right now.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I fell like I am getting into the swing of things here, beat the Depths without dying, and the Gaping Dragon without dying (although I summoned a Phantom, and he did like 70% of the damage to it but he died with it having 30 HP left. Feel bad for that guy). And that means Blighttown is next and I haven't heard... good things about it...

I did find that Pyromancer dude, which is cool because I always wanted my guy to be Melee focused but have spells as a back up, but how do I get more then one spell equipped at a time? Not having access to my heal spell for the Fire spell is kind of a drag right now.

Put some points into Attunement, you get an extra slot at 12 and 14, not sure how it progresses after that.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
Ok, I'm sure this has been answered a lot, so I apologize if I've missed it.

I've got an Occult Claymore (just standard so far) but went into the Tomb of Giants to get the upgrades for it. Now I'm finding it tough to go in there without my +5 Divine that it once was.

I saved at the second bondfire, got inside and was getting hammered, so I booked it out of the entire level. Actually impressed since I can go back towards the end any time.

So going to a blacksmith gives you the option of reverting a weapon back to its old form, but can you switch it back just as easy?

Is it one ember per item each playthrough?

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

Palleon posted:

Put some points into Attunement, you get an extra slot at 12 and 14, not sure how it progresses after that.

You get slots at 10, 12, 14, 16, 19, 23, 28, 34, 41, and 50 attunement, so 10 slots total up to that point. I don't know if there are any more after that, but since everything else seems to start sucking after 40, it wouldn't surprise me if that's it.

invalid posted:

I've got an Occult Claymore (just standard so far) but went into the Tomb of Giants to get the upgrades for it. Now I'm finding it tough to go in there without my +5 Divine that it once was.

I saved at the second bondfire, got inside and was getting hammered, so I booked it out of the entire level. Actually impressed since I can go back towards the end any time.

So going to a blacksmith gives you the option of reverting a weapon back to its old form, but can you switch it back just as easy?

I don't know exactly what you mean by one ember per item... the ember doesn't just disappear. The blacksmith will always have it, and always be able to use it to make an item magic or divine or whatever depending on the ember.

That aside, yes, you can revert. The only thing it costs you is the material you used for the initial conversion and whatever souls he charges you. This isn't so big a deal unless you've gotten to the point where you're using titanite slabs to upgrade, cause all the other materials are easily available at various points of the game. Your Occult weapon is probably worse than your Divine +5 because it's a base level occult weapon. Occult tends to have better scaling with faith, but scaling's pretty botched right now, and going from a +5 to a regular pretty much killed the attack bonuses your old weapon had.

DarkArchimedes fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 24, 2011

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know it's dumb bitching about review scores but the new game informer kind of pissed me off. Everything in that magazine gets a 9 but Dark Souls has some lag, so clearly it's inferior to mediocre games like Rage.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

invalid posted:

One ember provides the capability to the blacksmith. Embers aren't consumed on an item basis. You can make as many occult weapons as you want.

As long as you didn't upgrade something all the way to the point where it used a SLAB, you should be fine with downgrading the weapon back. If you used a slab, you may want to think about it a bit more as slabs are extremely rare. Every other material is easily farmable (slabs are farmable to a certain extent as well).

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
So if I want a sorcerer next, I need to focus on Int, right? Is there another stat I should focus on? How many spells do you guys find yourselves going between? I don't want to drop 34 points into Attunement, only to find I'm only using 3 spells regularly.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

areyoucontagious posted:

So if I want a sorcerer next, I need to focus on Int, right? Is there another stat I should focus on? How many spells do you guys find yourselves going between? I don't want to drop 34 points into Attunement, only to find I'm only using 3 spells regularly.
Someone wrote this, if it helps:

quote:

Started off putting strength up to 10 and dex up to 12 so I could use the estoc, went mostly melee up until I unlocked the depths and got the sorcery trainer. From then I've alternated between levelling int for the new spells I find and attunement for more spell slots. I'm level 60 at the moment with 50 int and 33 attunement, with a couple of spare points put into vitality and endurance.

Gear-wise I've used the same stuff for a long time, started off with the estoc, a hollow warrior shield and whatever armour drops I could get from the hollow warriors. After freeing Griggs and getting more spells (heavy soul arrow and great soul arrow are what I recommend at first, magic weapon/shield aren't worth it till you get more spell shots) I took on the hydra in Darkroot Basin. Mostly it takes patience to beat him really early, you're gonna have to get him to kill the golems for you with the water blast, then move in close so he melees you and manually aim your soul arrows at his heads when he slams down then poke the rest off. This nets you a sweet ring and a bunch of souls (that you can save up to buy the bellowing dragon ring from griggs).

Then go to the bonfire, rest, go back and kill the golden golem to get dusk of oolacile and then go and talk to her then go back to the cave and get the antiquated set. Your priority is to rush the bellowing dragon ring for the +20% damage and also the rest of the soul arrow spells griggs has. Buy a duplicate copy of basic soul arrow and slot it so you can afford to use spells on the lovely smaller enemies. Also upgrade your shield whenever you can cause you're gonna live or die on the tougher enemies by your shields stability. The hollow warrior shield is great for this. Less important but still important early is to upgrade your estoc to a magical estoc so you get some sweet damage off INT.

One thing that might be important is that I sequence broke the game to skip the capra demon and the depths. The capra demon is an absolute motherfucker solo as a sorceror, so if you can go through the valley of the drakes and get through the back entrance of blighttown, the key to the shortcut between valley of the drakes and firelink shrine will be in a chest right after the 3 poo ogres you'll fight to get in (use heavy soul arrows from a way away). Queelag in blight town won't be poo poo all to you so summon up mildred and you can oneshot her easy.

This'll give you access to Sen's fort which you just have to run through and free logan ASAP and get his spells. Homing Soul Mass is the main one, but the dupes of all the other spells he sells will allow you to swap out your normal soul arrow spells for their great equivalent, and give you massive new damage sources in the form of soul spear and soul mass.

Your gear won't change much at all from then, aside from when you eventually get hold of logan's poo poo at the end of his storyline. My current loadout is my magic estoc +8, a hollow soldier shield +10 and the sorceror catalyst. For armour I wear the full antiquated set, the headpiece gives +20% magic damage, the chestpiece +10% magic damage and the legs just have crazy armour for their weight. With rings I wear the bellowing dragon ring for the +20% magic damage and the other slot I swap between a few depending on the situation, but mostly I wear the dusk whatsit ring which gives you 50% more spellcasts and halves your health. For bosses I tend to use the everlasting dragon ring to give my greater magic shield better duration so I can position myself for spellcasting without insta-dying.

50 INT is gonna be the most you'll need for any of the spells, so once you get that start pumping attunement so you can get more spell slots. My current spell loadout is 2 Great Soul Arrows, 2 Homing Soul Mass, 1 Crystal Soul Mass, 1 Crystal Soul spear and the last slot I use for situational things (light for dark places, remedy, magic shield for bosses and white dragon breath for all other occassions).

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

NESguerilla posted:

I know it's dumb bitching about review scores but the new game informer kind of pissed me off. Everything in that magazine gets a 9 but Dark Souls has some lag, so clearly it's inferior to mediocre games like Rage.

Game informer isn't something you should read reviews for... EVER. Let's just say it wouldn't surprise me that games getting good reviews are the ones buying the most ad space. Hell they'll compare a games in two completely different genres in their reviews.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

areyoucontagious posted:

Int and Vit. Spellcaster doesn't cost stamina so you don't need as much END. Just raise it however much you want for the armor you want to wear. Keep in mind one of your ring slots is probably going to be the bellowcrest ring to increase spell damage. Raise your str/dex to whatever weapons you want to use.

You can get by with 19 attunement easily with enough int. I eventually went to 23 to make an extra slot for white dragon breath.

You may be using 3 spells regularly but you'll need duplicates of some spells just to keep up in ammo count. Particularly great soul arrow for much of your mid game.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Brian Fellows posted:

I'm pretty sure you just invaded a new game + guy. The PVP seems to ignore which playthrough you're on and only look at level. It's absolutely possible (and not even particularly hard) to be that low of a level and beat the game.

I used the dragon head glitch to get tons of souls so I could have an SL 8 Darkwraith to mess with people. One of my invasions at the first burg bonfire was against a player with a lightning spear, havel's armor, and a fog ring. I asked him what soul level he was and told him I was 8 for reference.

All he said was "SL 8 with Quelagg's Fury Sword? Get real yo." From this experience and what you posted I'm guessing that Red Stone invading has no upper level limit, and only depends on whether or not the area boss has been beaten.

As for the rest of the invasions, I like to put on my swashbuckling set (Pharis' hat + Hollow Rogue armor) and duel people with a rapier and parrying dagger. Sometimes I put on two shields and Golem Armor and slowly beat them to death. It's hilarious.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Does anyone know how this game has been doing sales-wise, especially outside of Japan? Hopefully well enough to usher in a new era of tough-but-fair games! Or at least enough to get a third Souls game from FROM.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

areyoucontagious posted:

You can easily get a lot of use out seven slots. I take Homing Crystal Soulmass, Strong Magic Shield, Crystal Soul Spear, Soul Spear, White Dragon Breath, Homing Soulmass and Great Heavy Soul Arrow. That's enough to get from bonfire to bonfire and cover any bad castings you make. It renders bosses on an ordinary game absolutely trivial and simply very easy on a NG+. You could probably do just as well with four or five slots (I don't find myself using Great Heavy Soul Arrow or Strong Magic Shield very often) but it's nice to have variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I didn't even know I could get indicted for invading people in the forest. The first five people didn't indict me! They shouldn't even be in the forest. :argh:

The sad thing is the second time I invaded that guy I didn't even hit him. It was the cleric NPC and the other invader.

• Locked thread