Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Well. After a weekend at Rausch Creek with a very rusty MJ, I have a few additions to post here in the next few days as I remove parts and take pictures...

buckled one of my lower control arm mounts about 3/4" up into the frame, another spot on the frame buckled right under the bed where a large amount of it had rusted away (it looked all there, just flaky, then I whacked a big rock with the frame and all the rust fell out, now there is a hole about 2" wide) and another spot where one of the leaf spring brackets is disconnected from the frame rail halfway.

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!

Ziploc posted:

Nearly did the same this weekend at a track day. Don't remember hitting anything solid either, but I was chucking it around a lot.

RIP nice enkeis :(

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
How likely is that to actually happen? I finally have the time to auto-x my miata and I don't want to worry about breaking one of my BBS-es(95M).

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm
Unfortunately the phone on which I had pictures of the cracked block in my 89 Civic is now dead, so instead here's a completely different sort of cracked block:

(Actually, I don't even know if that is a block.)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
There was a bomb involved there, right? :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Sure looks like a former block, you can see half a piston bore.

I4? maybe an I5?

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
At least the freeze plugs are still good.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Tactical Bonnet posted:

How likely is that to actually happen? I finally have the time to auto-x my miata and I don't want to worry about breaking one of my BBS-es(95M).

It's extremely rare. The internet exposes us to lots of one-off incidents like this and makes them seem more common than they really are.

In 12 years of active autocrossing in multiple regions and tours, I've never seen a catastrophic wheel failure other than on the internet (but I've seen various breakages on many different cars, including my own. Part of stressing things hard I suppose).

insta
Jan 28, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

There was a bomb involved there, right? :v:

Industrial shredder?

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

insta posted:

Industrial shredder?

I get the feeling it was probably a hoist failure, or somebody tried to put it on a table that wasn't strong enough. I found it on a BMW engine-swapping page, but the only information I was able to find was that it was a dropped block, and the picture was "'stolen' from Rob Nicol".

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I did not think blocks would shatter like that when dropped, but I honestly (honestly) don't know.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!

Tactical Bonnet posted:

I bought those wheels second-hand - don't know how old they are or what's been done to them. It could just be a manufacturing flaw, although it was the one taking the most load - left rear on a mr2 sw20 on a clockwise circuit. It was quite a bumpy surface but the rim has no buckles at all and didn't even feel weird to drive on it in that state.

I read up a bit afterwards and some s2k forums report there may be a link between powder-coating and wheel failures on some of their stock wheels.

Maybe the real lesson is keep your nice wheels for the street and don't take anything on track that you can't afford to break.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

dubzee posted:

What is going on here? What's that cable hanging off the back?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

bolind posted:

What is going on here?

Looks like a lot of sadness.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

bolind posted:

Winch cable from an off camera flatbed?

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bolind posted:

Someone thought it would be funny to recreate "American Graffiti"

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Not particularly horrible compared to most of the stuff in this thread, but definitely catastrophic to my ears :saddowns:

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This happened to my Geo Metro.

That's the frame where the control arm bolts in. It will never ever go anywhere again.

I just got $400 for the car though.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
That happened to everyone's Geo Metro.*

*if they didn't burn all the exhaust valves first

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bucephalus posted:

That happened to everyone's Geo Metro.*

*if they didn't burn all the exhaust valves first
I'm going to go ahead and admit now that I burned my exhaust valves until they were triangular... then replaced them. Then this happened.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

sandoz posted:

Not particularly horrible compared to most of the stuff in this thread, but definitely catastrophic to my ears :saddowns:

Looks like you need a new muffler bearing there.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Looks like you need a new muffler bearing there.

See this wouldn't have happened if he'd been diligent in checking his muffler fluid every 3000 miles. Running it dry can throw out the bearing, and if that happens when you're at speed it might punch a hole in the tie-rod sump.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
looks like the old man brought back another mower

hmm not a runner, lets get that cover off

some quality workmanship we have here

something seems a little off

bingo

camtastic plastic

on the right we have a briggs and stratton head, the result of years of testing and refinement,
on the left we have a coked up pre-detonatior.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I hear a 50/50 brake fluid/ATF mix makes a good replacement for muffler fluid as long as you're sure to make sure it's always topped right up.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The cam on the left looks like mowernutz(tm) or valvenutz(tm)

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

coldpudding posted:

I wanna dip my balls in it!

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

General_Failure posted:

I hear a 50/50 brake fluid/ATF mix makes a good replacement for muffler fluid as long as you're sure to make sure it's always topped right up.

I prefer a mixture of headlight fluid and relative bearing grease.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

Rujo King posted:

See this wouldn't have happened if he'd been diligent in checking his muffler fluid every 3000 miles. Running it dry can throw out the bearing, and if that happens when you're at speed it might punch a hole in the tie-rod sump.

True story, I've seen a young girl attempt to pump gas into an exhaust outlet.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

VW thread, or mechanical failure thread, or you put what on your car thread. Stolen from reddit.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

General_Failure posted:

I couldn't believe this, but the new Ford diesel pickups have exhaust fluid. True story.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

meatpimp posted:

VW thread, or mechanical failure thread, or you put what on your car thread. Stolen from reddit.

One of the reasons why these exist for retarded people:

http://www.amazon.com/Michelin-5100-Jumper-Cables-Protection/dp/B002RRZX06/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1319825873&sr=8-16

also is another reason why that no matter what I won't jump anyone's car unless they are close friends or family. I might have jumped one other persons car outside that list and it was "I'm putting these things on, stay the hell away and don't touch anything until I say you can"

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo about it except for you. Make another thread about it so you can get laughed at.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

RapeWhistle posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo about it except for you. Make another thread about it so you can get laughed at.

What am I missing here?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

RapeWhistle posted:

Somebody has their panties in a bunch. I was saying it could go in any of them. :fuckoff:

Although I do love me some stalkers.

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

MrZig posted:

I couldn't believe this, but the new Ford diesel pickups have exhaust fluid. True story.

Yeah I remember reading about this in the trucking thread way back; it's a reactant to lower emissions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AdBlue :science:

DethMarine21 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 28, 2011

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

dietcokefiend posted:

also is another reason why that no matter what I won't jump anyone's car unless they are close friends or family. I might have jumped one other persons car outside that list and it was "I'm putting these things on, stay the hell away and don't touch anything until I say you can"

I just have one of those battery-powered jumpstarters. Only two clamps means it's harder to gently caress it up.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Was it a case of "this is why you hook the negative cable to the frame" or "red is positive, dumbass"?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

BonzoESC posted:

I just have one of those battery-powered jumpstarters. Only two clamps means it's harder to gently caress it up.

unless you connect red to black and black to red... and become a part of the landscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
Thats why I got one of these. Even if you screw up red/black, it has a button you press that will light up to let you know you've got it connected all right.