Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

japtor posted:

The 2006 Intel Mac minis did this too, at least with the old white keyboard vs aluminum ones. Didn't know it affected other machines too, maybe it's a first gen Intel Mac thing in general?
Yes. If your machine shipped with a white keyboard you will be unable to use a newer one for startup key sequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug
I'm new to using Macs, and I think I have a common problem. I'd like to be able to write to an NTFS-formatted external drive that I also use with my Linux and Windows machines. The solutions that I've seen are either sketchy, old, or commercial products.

Is there an SHSC-approved utility for this?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

platero posted:

I'm new to using Macs, and I think I have a common problem. I'd like to be able to write to an NTFS-formatted external drive that I also use with my Linux and Windows machines. The solutions that I've seen are either sketchy, old, or commercial products.

Is there an SHSC-approved utility for this?

The "best" solution would be to use EXFAT on the disc instead. Of course, that means you have to move the data and reformat, and maybe update your Windows/Linux boxes.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
And if you don't have the room to move everything off and reformat the options are stuff like FUSE (with some NTFS plugin), third party driver like Paragon (which has eaten drives for some people), or a virtual machine that can write to NTFS.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I'm pretty sure that the NTFS kernel modules for Linux still will eat drives, so you're better off with exFAT in all situations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I know you said you didn't like commercial products, but Tuxera has been good to me (better than Paragon which I've had problems with.)
It mounts my Windows disk every boot and no problems yet! Plays nice with VMWare etc. as well.

Lasalas
Feb 26, 2005

carry on then posted:

If you release too soon after you press, it won't trigger to prevent accidental input.

Been using macs for four years now and this blew my mind.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ilifin posted:

I'm pretty sure that the NTFS kernel modules for Linux still will eat drives, so you're better off with exFAT in all situations.

I've been using paragon for NTFS under Lion with no ill effects, but it's important to point out that I already had a paid license. If I didn't then I'd be using exFAT for everything.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.
Been meaning to ask forever... is there a new "unlock" sound in Lion that is played when you wake a computer from sleep? It sounds a bit like the 1password "unlock" sound so I assumed it was that incorrectly opening every time I woke the computer, but comparing the two sounds I think the unlock/wake up sound is a little different. Actually kind of sounds like the ridiculous annoying slide to unlock sound from iOS, however I disable that on my iphone/ipad so I don't know it that well.

Long winded way to ask if this sound on wake is expected behavior, and if so how do I get rid of it? If not, anyone else heard it so we can figure out what's doing it?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

ndrake posted:

Been meaning to ask forever... is there a new "unlock" sound in Lion that is played when you wake a computer from sleep? It sounds a bit like the 1password "unlock" sound so I assumed it was that incorrectly opening every time I woke the computer, but comparing the two sounds I think the unlock/wake up sound is a little different. Actually kind of sounds like the ridiculous annoying slide to unlock sound from iOS, however I disable that on my iphone/ipad so I don't know it that well.

Long winded way to ask if this sound on wake is expected behavior, and if so how do I get rid of it? If not, anyone else heard it so we can figure out what's doing it?
lol. I have noticed the exact same behavior and I'm at a loss as well. I have 1password installed too, maybe that's it ?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

ndrake posted:

I'm 90% sure this is 1password, as I've been hearing it as well.

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust

ndrake posted:

I've noticed it too, and ascribed it to 1password. My personal theory is that it's actually a lock sound, and if my laptop goes to sleep before 1password has locked itself, upon waking 1password will realize that x amount of time has passed and will lock itself. I hear the same sound if I leave my laptop running for around 20 minutes.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

ndrake posted:

I think it's related to the 1password browser extension. Prior to the new version, 1password would lock and unlock from the app. Now, it can do that through the extension. So after your lock time elapses (1pass prefs -> Security), the browser extension is locking the program.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.

rckstar79 posted:

I think it's related to the 1password browser extension. Prior to the new version, 1password would lock and unlock from the app. Now, it can do that through the extension. So after your lock time elapses (1pass prefs -> Security), the browser extension is locking the program.

We seem to have a consensus. Thanks everyone. I think you're all right, it's definitely 1password. Unfortunately there's no option to disable it. I guess it's not as annoying now that I know what's causing it.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

ndrake posted:

1Password borrows the system's "rusty lock" sounds (used when you lock/unlock secure preference panes, or in Keychain Access). By default it'll lock its database after 20 minutes, after sleep, or when the screen saver activates.

It doesn't offer an option to disable the sound, but maybe there's a secret key for it. Try the AgileBits forums, maybe.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I have Lion, but I don't have 1Password and I don't hear anything (other than a very faint creak, it's from 2009) when I wake my Macbook from sleep, FWIW.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bootcamp question: I have a slipstreamed XP SP2 disc that I want to install in boot camp (I'll then upgrade it to Windows 7.) The bootcamp wizard won't recognize the disc as a Windows disc and refuses to go through with the installer. My question is, would it be sufficient to partition my hard disk manually and then boot to the CD? Does the bootcamp wizard do anything else?

This is Lion, by the way, and I know they don't officially support anything less than 7, but I have the Snow Leopard disc with Bootcamp 3.whatever. If it's too risky, I can wait the week or so until I have access to my Windows 7 disc and try to fake it out, but I'd like to get the XP installation out of the way now so it takes less time later.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
if you're trying to bypass upgrade activation, you don't need to bother installing XP. You can just install Windows 7, don't input a serial, and then reinstall on top of it and input the serial. It's the intended method for, say, if you bought an older version of Windows but the disc is scratched and you just want to get up and running.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'd do that if I had access to my Windows 7 CD, but I don't. What I do have is my XP CD and some downtime, so I was hoping to get half the install process done now and just have to do part 2 once I got the right disc.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I can't believe Spotify -requires- a facebook account to register. Wow, saving my 10bux a month right there.

Is there really no way around it?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

BlackMK4 posted:

I can't believe Spotify -requires- a facebook account to register. Wow, saving my 10bux a month right there.

It's not bad. You can generate an app password through Facebook's account management, and you can opt out of Spotify sharing what you listen to with your friends.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The problem is that I don't have a facebook anymore and I don't want to reactivate it or make a fake account.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
In that case, there's no way around it. Make a fake one. Only takes a couple of minutes.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Use https://www.rdio.com instead. (It's better, anyways.)

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

BlackMK4 posted:

Did this recently change? I signed up about 2 months ago and I don't use facebook.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

about a month ago, I reckon. Accounts from before are still good, though.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are there any games for OS X that can even benefit from having a high-ish end GPU like a 5870?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I'd say the latest Valve games like Left 4 Dead 2 and UbiSoft titles like Assassin's Creed Brotherhood willl benefit. Check with the Mac Gaming thread.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Are there any games for OS X that can even benefit from having a high-ish end GPU like a 5870?

I just installed a 5870 and TF2 runs great maxed out at 1080p.

It'll be more useful for me when I boot Windows to play BF3, honestly.

e: uh I meant 6870.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 24, 2011

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

smax posted:

Are you just typing '192.168.0.1' into the connect to server prompt? Try 'smb://192.168.0.1/' and see what happens. It should ask for login credentials (just try connect as a guest) then mount the folder.

Sorry for the late reply. I had already tried that shortly after making my post here, but I couldn't get past the login window (couldn't get in as guest and none of my username/password combos that I could think of were working). I've since heard that you'd need a router that supports ATP in order to get Time Machine working on it and this router probably doesn't have that, so I'm not looking into it further.

On an unrelated note: I'm using a 27" iMac. I've discovered that there's an option in Windows 7 to make everything display 25% to 50% bigger, thus reducing eyestrain from the gigantic resolution. Is there a similar option in MacOSX?

Jolan fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 24, 2011

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

rckstar79 posted:

Use https://www.rdio.com instead. (It's better, anyways.)

These assholes make the contents of your account profile indexable by search engines by default. Including your real name, in addition to your screen name. I've never been more pissed off at a company.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So not sure if this is a hardware question or not, considering it wouldn't be Apple hardware.

My mother has a MacBook Pro, and she has an external hard drive plugged into it for her Time Machine backups. However, she uses the computer at a couch, not a desk, so she has two cables coming out to the side for her backups and her power.

I would like to get her untethered from that backup drive at the very least. Also, their wireless router has problems with the DHCP, so I was thinking about replacing it. So I was wondering if there was a (preferably Linksys, since that's what I'm most comfortable setting up) router that can connect to her Time Machine drive, share it over the network, and let her back up. I'd prefer to not buy her a Time Machine, but rather just replace the router and have her just use her existing backup.

So I guess I need:
A new router.
One that has an USB port.
That can read Mac disks.
And can act as a Time Machine network hub.

Is this possible? If so, are there any recommendations?

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Lazyhound posted:

These assholes make the contents of your account profile indexable by search engines by default. Including your real name, in addition to your screen name. I've never been more pissed off at a company.

(you don't have to use your real name)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Shaocaholica posted:

All of them. For Mac gaming everything is so unoptimised that you really need as much raw power you can get.
Especially considering the higher than average screen resolutions on most Macs.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

rckstar79 posted:

(you don't have to use your real name)

Pretty sure they need it for billing. Also, the principle of the thing.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

IUG posted:

So I guess I need:
A new router.
One that has an USB port.
That can read Mac disks.
And can act as a Time Machine network hub.

Is this possible? If so, are there any recommendations?
Maybe I'm missing the obvious here, but an Apple Time Capsule meets all your requirements.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

dexter6 posted:

Maybe I'm missing the obvious here, but an Apple Time Capsule meets all your requirements.

Except that she already has an external hard drive that already has her Time Machine backup on it. No point in buying another drive, but I do want to replace their router.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
You have heard of the Airport Extreme, right? It'll be slower on backups than a Time Capsule, but it fits your description.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Space Racist posted:

You have heard of the Airport Extreme, right? It'll be slower on backups than a Time Capsule, but it fits your description.

Does it actually support backups? I don't think it does officially.

http://www.apple.com/wifi/

Edit: a Genius friend is saying it does. Hm.

chimz fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Oct 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

chimz posted:

Does it actually support backups? I don't think it does officially.

http://www.apple.com/wifi/

Edit: a Genius friend is saying it does. Hm.

AirPort Extreme Base Stations are not officially supported Time Machine devices.