Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
That has to be a typo: only a single for Siamese Dream. Both versions I have are doubles, and that would mean each side would be over 30 minutes, and thus, sounding like poo poo. So, I really hope it's a typo, otherwise there's no real reason for anyone to get that.

Also for reissues, that's pretty standard pricing. Now the only question left is when they get to Adore, will that be the first time the album will be in stereo on vinyl, or will they use the mono mix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

That has to be a typo: only a single for Siamese Dream. Both versions I have are doubles, and that would mean each side would be over 30 minutes, and thus, sounding like poo poo. So, I really hope it's a typo, otherwise there's no real reason for anyone to get that.

Also for reissues, that's pretty standard pricing. Now the only question left is when they get to Adore, will that be the first time the album will be in stereo on vinyl, or will they use the mono mix?

Yeah I was confused, as my copy of Siamese Dream is a double. That makes absolutely no sense. It would also mean that they were charging more just because the cover is gatefold. Also I'm under the impression that all of these reissues are new mixes (I think?)

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Slightly on topic, but I'm off to see Steve Winwood and Steely Dan tonight, and it should be boss.

Mach 30
Dec 16, 2005
That's faster than most planes can go!!!

Ron Burgundy posted:

HOLY CRAP that is the best deal anyone has ever got on anything.

I really think the guy just wanted someone to haul it away for him. It was in a campground gameroom/laundry in middle-of-nowhere Idaho. He had just purchased the place and was renovating in hopes of bringing more business.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
So I've finally reached a point in my vinyl collection where I feel like I have a better sense of things I'd like to keep, and things I don't mind passing on. Would the thread at large mind taking a look at the stuff I have up for sale on Discogs?

colorful vinyl whoo

not relevant

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 19, 2011

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
About to pull the plug on these

http://louisville.craigslist.org/ele/2619936642.html

It's a SR 620cx series. Worth it?

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 18, 2011

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

LtTennisBall posted:

Yeah I was confused, as my copy of Siamese Dream is a double. That makes absolutely no sense. It would also mean that they were charging more just because the cover is gatefold. Also I'm under the impression that all of these reissues are new mixes (I think?)

As far as I know, the only remix that's been talked about is the first Machina album (and I guess maybe the second), just because the fan reaction to the sound has been pretty horrible.

These are just remasters, so I don't think you are going to see Billy change the sound, and with Siamese Dream, I think remixing it could be a nightmare (okay, how loud should guitar 94 out of 100 be... is it drowning out #28 there?).

HandClap
Jul 5, 2006
Hey goons, what's the worst sounding vinyl you have that you still put up with?

I just got an original copy of Frank Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely for cheap that of course is realy dirty and poo poo sounding but I love it. I also have an equally dirty lovely sounding copy of Absolutely Free by The Mothers of Invention but I'll never put it under my needle again... its just not worth it even though I'm a relatively big Zappaphile.

HandClap fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 19, 2011

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

HandClap posted:

Hey goons, what's the worst sounding vinyl you have that you still put up with?

I just got an original copy of Frank Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely for cheap that of course is realy dirty and poo poo sounding but I love it. I also have an equally dirty lovely sounding copy of Absolutely Free by The Mothers of Invention but I'll never put it under my needle again... its just not worth it even though I'm a relatively big Zappaphile.

Clean them?

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCxyIKYJ-xo

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I know some posters in here love finding stuff that missed the digital era. This article is for you guys.
http://leoweekly.com/music/dust-brother
I'm not going to post the whole thing since it is quite long.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I finally got around to buying a turntable. I've been working in a record store for the past few months, and have hated not being able to buy any of the vinyl that comes through. (Somehow being surrounded by CDs makes me want them less and being around vinyl makes me want them way more.) Unfortunately our store only sells those horrible Crosley turntables. I'm still waiting on my pre-amp and speakers since I purchased them online, but I got a great deal on a late 70s Pioneer turntable at the amazing Randy's Records in SLC.

So far I've purchased Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation, Arcade Fire's The Suburbs, and Elvis Perkins in Dearland. But I picked up all nine Beethoven symphonies for only $8, along with a compilation of Romantic composers, and Wagner's Tristan & Isolde. It's been a great couple of days, but drat have I spent a lot of money.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

MokBa posted:

It's been a great couple of days, but drat have I spent a lot of money.

This is more or less my thoughts any time I go buy records. :shobon:

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Mach 30 posted:

What's that Craigslist? A working 1969 Seeburg LS2 for $20.00? Don't mind if I do!

My god you are a jerk! Congratulations! I have a bunch of Thin Lizzy pristine unused jukebox 45's I will eventually put into my own juke..

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I just know it's going to turn out that these albums suddenly start selling for super cheap because I finally bought online, but Popmarket's deal of the day today is a bundle of:
-Nightawks at the Diner,
-Mule Variations, and
-Bad As Me
for $48.90 with free shipping in the US, and you can get it down to $44 by using the coupon code "facebook10".

Figured I'd post it here in case, like me, any of you can't find any Tom Waits without obscene prices attached.

E: Although it looks like people are complaining about long wait times on some of the deals on there, so I guess beware of that if you decide to order it.

surc fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 24, 2011

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

surc posted:

I just know it's going to turn out that these albums suddenly start selling for super cheap because I finally bought online, but Popmarket's deal of the day today is a bundle of:
-Nightawks at the Diner,
-Mule Variations, and
-Bad As Me
for $48.90 with free shipping in the US, and you can get it down to $44 by using the coupon code "facebook10".

Figured I'd post it here in case, like me, any of you can't find any Tom Waits without obscene prices attached.

E: Although it looks like people are complaining about long wait times on some of the deals on there, so I guess beware of that if you decide to order it.

That's a pretty decent price if it's for all three albums.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Got OG Pink Fairies - Never Never Land by tradein, along with Pere Ubu's Datapanik, Plimsouls 12" ep, new Spits lp, the reissue of 19 Million AC (only have the ep), and the new Rocket From the Tombs.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Fifty cents each at Goodwill, both in pristine condition. I don't mind dropping a buck for a goofy 80s record with one good/silly song, and one potentially awesome Satchmo/Bing album.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Red posted:

Fifty cents each at Goodwill, both in pristine condition. I don't mind dropping a buck for a goofy 80s record with one good/silly song, and one potentially awesome Satchmo/Bing album.

Too bad you got a seminal 80's synth pop record instead :( (Although the US version is lacking 'Living in China' which is a drat shame.)

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Someone made a shame dump of old 45s at goodwill the other day:

Men without hats: Safety Dance (why bother with the rest, jerry?)

Kenny Loggins: Danger Zone

simple minds: Don't you forget about me

Nina: 99 luftballoons

I'm a use em as christmas/bday gifts for people I think highly of.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

big business sloth posted:

Utter Space, I got the Message, Living in China, Security, all great tracks (and big hits back in the day). :dance: :corsair:

Though kids who only know Men without Hats because of the internets probably won't bother. Their loss.

Wax On
Mar 22, 2007

drop a bat beat

big business sloth posted:

If you're looking for a really good (and unfortunately rare) Men Without Hats record you should look for the Folk of the 80's 10" or 12" with Utter Space and Security on it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I haven't bought any records in a while, but I got these at Goodwill today in the dollar bin:

No Men Without Hats, unfortunately.
edit: There was also what looked like a copy of Q: Are We Not Men, A: We Are Devo, but it was just the sleeve. :(

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I love working in a record store.

I paid for the Mudhoney one (original Super Fuzz Big Muff? yes please!) but the other three were given to me by a customer that always brings in vinyl to trade. If we can't give him very much store credit he often just gives them to employees or takes them back to give to friends. That's where the Fleetwood Mac/Van Halen/Idol (?) came from. I have no idea what that last one is, but it's sure to be ridiculous.

Johndice
Oct 26, 2011

by angerbeet

wa27 posted:

I haven't bought any records in a while, but I got these at Goodwill today in the dollar bin:

No Men Without Hats, unfortunately.
edit: There was also what looked like a copy of Q: Are We Not Men, A: We Are Devo, but it was just the sleeve. :(

Daaaaaaaaamn. I'd just about given up on finding vinyl locally after my town's last record store closed, but maybe I should try Goodwills and other thrift shops.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007
Arthur for a dollar is a hell of a find.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

MokBa posted:

I love working in a record store.

I paid for the Mudhoney one (original Super Fuzz Big Muff? yes please!) but the other three were given to me by a customer that always brings in vinyl to trade. If we can't give him very much store credit he often just gives them to employees or takes them back to give to friends. That's where the Fleetwood Mac/Van Halen/Idol (?) came from. I have no idea what that last one is, but it's sure to be ridiculous.
I have that Mudhoney and used to keep it on my wall. Can't figure out why they got rid of that lettering for the CD release

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Farts Domino posted:

I have that Mudhoney and used to keep it on my wall. Can't figure out why they got rid of that lettering for the CD release

Yeah I love that artwork. I remember seeing it in the store a couple months back and wanting it but I had totally forget we had it until this morning when I was alphabetizing. It's in amazing condition, absolutely no scratches on it (just a bit of dust) and it sounds really good all these years later. I'm only one year older than this record! I was very impressed with the sound. Plus you know, Mudhoney is what Grunge is all about and I've been a fan since I was 15.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Dancing Potato posted:

Arthur for a dollar is a hell of a find.
I actually am really unfamiliar with The Kinks so I hadn't heard of any of those albums. I knew I liked when I had heard of their 60s stuff, these were all late 70s/80s (Arthur had no date) so I figured they were crap. I ended up buying them for the hell of it and got to listen to Arthur before reading anything about it. :aaa: What a great album.

Johndice posted:

Daaaaaaaaamn. I'd just about given up on finding vinyl locally after my town's last record store closed, but maybe I should try Goodwills and other thrift shops.
Thrift stores can be great or terrible depending on how they're run, and it's pretty easy to figure out which ones are worth going to often. Bad ones (usually Goodwills) will charge 1.25 or more, and they won't ever throw anything out so you get to dig through the same 200 christian records that are there month after month. Good ones will keep a fresh stock of <50 records and throw out any old stuff if it sits there too long. Those stores are usually more concerned about moving inventory and will usually charge less than $1.

The store I got those from is one that keeps stuff around forever, but somehow they manage to consistently get great collections dumped on them that nobody buys because they put their stock in a really non-obvious place. I check there once every other week or so, and probably buy something once every month or two (but when I do, it's usually 10-20 at a time).

So it's at least worth a trip around town to scope out the stores to find any good ones. You might be able to snag a decent turntable for $10 as well.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

wa27 posted:

I actually am really unfamiliar with The Kinks so I hadn't heard of any of those albums. I knew I liked when I had heard of their 60s stuff, these were all late 70s/80s (Arthur had no date) so I figured they were crap. I ended up buying them for the hell of it and got to listen to Arthur before reading anything about it. :aaa: What a great album.

Does it have the sweet/creepy kangaroo lyrics insert?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Dancing Potato posted:

Does it have the sweet/creepy kangaroo lyrics insert?
No, it's missing the inner sleeve altogether.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know this is a long shot, but is there anyone in or around Nashville that would wnat to get me a copy of the limited edition Black Belles LP Third Man will be selling? I can't afford to give anyone a crazy amount of money for it, so basically I'm offering 20 bucks (plus the cost of the LP and shipping) and my eternal gratitude.

edit: And to prove I'm not an ebay flipper I would be willing to send a monthy photo of myself holding up the record next to a current news paper every month for an entire year. Yes, I want this record that badly.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 27, 2011

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Farts Domino posted:

They re-issued it with that lettering. I am not a big Mudhoney fan but that record kicks rear end. I love to rock Touch me I'm Sick in my car.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

They re-issued it with that lettering. I am not a big Mudhoney fan but that record kicks rear end. I love to rock Touch me I'm Sick in my car.
I don't think they ever made an exact reproduction. There's a version where the letters are all white, there's one with just Mudhoney too

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

digging at valuevillage today, I found pristine copies of:

lene lovich - stateless
gang of four - another day/another dollar
comsat angels - 7 day weekend oh no its terrible
talk talk - life is what you make it (extended dance version!)

the cashier said yesterday was a big day for vinyl sales - two guys bought twenty records each. so by one day I likely missed out on a postpunk motherlode.

a couple weeks ago the same vv had horror movie soundtracks, John Prine and There's a Riot Going On, which was nice.
& last weekend in toronto I picked up Relics, this 2xLP Incredible String Band best-of for $20, along with a couple of cheapies.

Now all I need is a receiver that works :/

juicecube
Nov 14, 2004

I got a two week gig out here in Port Hope

milk teeth posted:

digging at valuevillage today, I found pristine copies of:

lene lovich - stateless
gang of four - another day/another dollar
comsat angels - 7 day weekend oh no its terrible
talk talk - life is what you make it (extended dance version!)

the cashier said yesterday was a big day for vinyl sales - two guys bought twenty records each. so by one day I likely missed out on a postpunk motherlode.

a couple weeks ago the same vv had horror movie soundtracks, John Prine and There's a Riot Going On, which was nice.
& last weekend in toronto I picked up Relics, this 2xLP Incredible String Band best-of for $20, along with a couple of cheapies.

Now all I need is a receiver that works :/

You don't live in Ontario do you? I passed up both the talk talk and gang of four records the other day at my local value village ..

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

juicecube posted:

You don't live in Ontario do you? I passed up both the talk talk and gang of four records the other day at my local value village ..

What is wrong with you?!!!! lol.
I never see anything modern or punk at my local thrift stores.

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

yerp, I work in Mississauga & usually have an hour to kill before work starts
thanx for leaving 'em if you did - I got burned buying that gang of four record at a show b/c I didn't check to see if it was warped, so it's nice to have the proper album now :)

what'd you walk out of there with?

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

trdn89 posted:

Light in the Attic is reissuing Mercury Rev's Deserter's Songs!

http://lightintheattic.net/releases/623-deserter-s-songs

This album owns and I'm pumped to finally get a copy of it for less than, like, $100. Also glad to hear LitA is handling the reissue!

Somehow my copy came like five days early - AND it's one of the 100 to include a photo autographed by Jonathan Donohue & Grasshopper! gently caress YEAH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Got some random new records over the last week, hooray for colored (CLEAR IS A COLOR OKAY) vinyl!