Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Please, spoil me: Does TenSoon actually show up, or are the "Faceless Immortals" just mentioned offhand a couple times?

Yes or no will be fine, I don't want to be spoiled THAT much.

I haven't read the whole thing yet... but from (very) quickly thumbing through I would have to say no, not that I can see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Just finished TWoK. Man, what a fun read. A bit silly, but very enjoyable. I'm really looking forward to the next one. What's the current ETA? I know he's got about 80 thousand projects on his plate.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Arcturas posted:

Just finished TWoK. Man, what a fun read. A bit silly, but very enjoyable. I'm really looking forward to the next one. What's the current ETA? I know he's got about 80 thousand projects on his plate.

The last Wheel of Time book should finish up sometime in the next month or so, then its off to the editor for review. Most likely at that point he will work on a few small sideprojects to recuperate. He started work on Scribbler (Now called The Rithmatist) but had to set it aside for other commitments, most likely this will get finished. The Rithmatist is Young Adult and is something like a cross between Harold and the Purple Crayon and Harry Potter. Aparently you draw poo poo with chalk and magic stuff happens. He may choose to work on another secret project after that (a Necromancer Pizza delivery boy concept has been tossed about) or he may dive head first into Stormlight Archive number 2. Either way, we should get the sequel to TWOK sometime next year, possibly right before or after the final WOT book. I don't think the WOT is going to come out untill next fall. Harriet (Jordan's widow and editor) has said she might take up to 6 months to edit this book since its the last and there will probably be lots of re-writes and fixes for Brandon to do. She felt that TOM got rushed out the door and had too many grammar and continuity errors. Either way, we should hopefully get a WOT book and a stormlight book next year.

Of course you never know, Brandon may decide to take a vacation and write 2-3 Mistborn adventure books while sipping a corona on some white sand beach in the tropics.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 17, 2011

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I read all 3 Mistborns! I am in awe of this man's story planning skills. Before I read it all I knew was "detailed magic" and "good action scenes" and, um, yeah, that has been handily verified. I thought the first book was fun if kind of fluffy, and got kind of worried with the angsty second one, but man was that 3rd one some nice juicy payoff.

I don't really dig the way he writes dialogue, something about it is too technical and writer-y sounding to come out of people who are supposedly members of an oppressed, uneducated slave class. On the other hand I think I understand where goofy-clown-Mat from The Gathering Storm came from, he'd have fit right in Kelsier's crew.

And I can't count the number of times I wanted to shake Vin and tell her stop whining you're a god-killing physics ninja or take out your goddamn earring.

But this guy sure can plot. I guess I'll check out these ways of kings and elantrises and whatnot.

My only question is why isn't there an Allomancer video game?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Omnomnomnivore posted:

On the other hand I think I understand where goofy-clown-Mat from The Gathering Storm came from, he'd have fit right in Kelsier's crew.

According to Harriet, Robert Jordan actually wrote that scene. I thought it was Sanderson, too (as did pretty much everybody else), but it was apparently supposed to be Mat getting jumpy over having just gotten married.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Omnomnomnivore posted:

My only question is why isn't there an Allomancer video game?

Sanderson decided to go the P&P RPG route first because he's that drat nerdy.

Of course, this is also the guy who was willing to trade signed advance copies of Alloy of Law for sealed M:tG starter decks, so it's hardly surprising.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

404GoonNotFound posted:

Sanderson decided to go the P&P RPG route first because he's that drat nerdy.

Of course, this is also the guy who was willing to trade signed advance copies of Alloy of Law for sealed M:tG starter decks, so it's hardly surprising.

Unfortunately, the P&P RPG is loving terrible, if the preview released at gencon is anything to go by.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

NinjaDebugger posted:

Unfortunately, the P&P RPG is loving terrible, if the preview released at gencon is anything to go by.

How so? I pre-ordered it but haven't really looked over the preview yet :ohdear:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Kreeblah posted:

According to Harriet, Robert Jordan actually wrote that scene. I thought it was Sanderson, too (as did pretty much everybody else), but it was apparently supposed to be Mat getting jumpy over having just gotten married.

I just choose not to believe this. I believe they told the crowds this because that scene in particular got a lot of critisism. LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Cartoon Man posted:

He started work on Scribbler (Now called The Rithmatist) but had to set it aside for other commitments, most likely this will get finished. The Rithmatist is Young Adult and is something like a cross between Harold and the Purple Crayon and Harry Potter. Aparently you draw poo poo with chalk and magic stuff happens. He may choose to work on another secret project after that (a Necromancer Pizza delivery boy concept has been tossed about) or he may dive head first into Stormlight Archive number 2.

Of course you never know, Brandon may decide to take a vacation and write 2-3 Mistborn adventure books while sipping a corona on some white sand beach in the tropics.

My To-Read list has just gotten a whole lot more awesome!

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Affi posted:

I just choose not to believe this. I believe they told the crowds this because that scene in particular got a lot of critisism. LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU.

I suspect the RJ sections that had been written and not edited when he died may have been less critically edited after, since he wasn't around to agree or disagree with the edits and make his own changes. Trimming/redoing sections RJ wrote would make it less "his" novel.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ok...

Which one of you goons did this?
http://m24p.bandcamp.com/track/mistborn-creature-of-the-night

:rock:

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

finished Alloy of Law last night after a four hour marathon to get it done (i hit the avalanche at midnight and couldn't put it down)

my feelings on the book today: :aaaaa:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

treeboy posted:

finished Alloy of Law last night after a four hour marathon to get it done (i hit the avalanche at midnight and couldn't put it down)

Once again, drat yous :doom:

Also, now that you're done, still no sign of TenSoon? (Once again, yes or no only please. Don't want to be TOO spoiled.)

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

404GoonNotFound posted:

Once again, drat yous :doom:

Also, now that you're done, still no sign of TenSoon? (Once again, yes or no only please. Don't want to be TOO spoiled.)

Not that I could spot other than that passing reference to the Kandra in general. But that being said I have a feeling there's a ton going on that might not be explicit, so...no...but maybe?

multiple read-through's required for this book in my opinion

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

treeboy posted:

You son of a whore, you made me think it was out already!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
I'm just glad I'm getting it for free thanks to multiple Amazon deals lining up at just the right moment.

Which is good, because my 360 just red ringed... :smithicide:

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=95856&src=newsletter_cta

Looks like a preview for the Mistborn RPG, also its free!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Ulta posted:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=95856&src=newsletter_cta

Looks like a preview for the Mistborn RPG, also its free!

That's the same one you got for pre-ordering during Gencon.

STILL waiting on NinjaDebugger to explain why, exactly, it isn't worth getting though.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

404GoonNotFound posted:

That's the same one you got for pre-ordering during Gencon.

STILL waiting on NinjaDebugger to explain why, exactly, it isn't worth getting though.

One line summary: The system is the worst aspects of Mother May I combined with the worst aspects of World of Darkness, with an extra layer of retardation layered on.

Long summary:

All characters have four basic blocks on their sheet.

Attributes are Physique, Charm, and Wits.
Standings are Resources, Influence, and Spirit.
Traits are Fate-like aspects, you get five of them, one from each category. The categories appear to be Drive, Profession, Specialty, Feature, and Personality.
Powers are where your magic goes, basically.

You know how in World of Darkness games, people actively try to avoid combat because it's hard to resolve and takes forever and is generally no fun? Imagine -every single roll- being like that.

All rolls are made with a pool of 2 to 10 d6. The GM chooses one attribute, standing, or power that fits your actions, then you add 1 die for each Trait that you can argue into applying, 1 die for a helpful item (or -1 if you're missing an important item), 1 die for helpful conditions (or -1 for adverse ones).

Then the GM assigns a difficulty of 1 to 5, and you roll. Set any sixes aside.
If the numbers on two or more of your dice match, the highest number shown on any matching set is your Result. If your Result equals or exceeds difficulty, you win! Otherwise, you fail!

Then, you enter the SECOND phase of Mother May I, where you negotiate with the GM to use all those sixes you rolled to make your success even better.

And this isn't even getting into the optional degrees of success/failure stuff, or the fact that any sort of conflict involves dice pools, and conflicts use the original L5R style initiative, where you go from lowest init to highest, declaring actions, and then go from highest init to lowest to resolve them, which makes combat take even longer.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Sounds like I'll be running it Paranoia-style.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I preordered Alloy of Law on my brady-spankin' new Kindle last night. :3:

I need to be careful with this thing. Hopefully my local library will start lending out Kindle books soon.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

pakman posted:

I preordered Alloy of Law on my brady-spankin' new Kindle last night. :3:

I need to be careful with this thing. Hopefully my local library will start lending out Kindle books soon.

It's pretty scary how easy it is to go through 5-6 books in a month when you can download whatever/whenever.

Always be on the lookout for deals on books, it can save you a bunch.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

subx posted:

It's pretty scary how easy it is to go through 5-6 books in a month when you can download whatever/whenever.

Always be on the lookout for deals on books, it can save you a bunch.

I have a long commute every day, so this was crazy magnified for me. I went through 12 books in September. At least a lot of them were on sale.

I found out Sanderson is doing a booksigning near me on 11/16, so I'm probably buying Alloy of Law in hardcover. I can't wait to read it. Come out already!

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I have a long commute every day, so this was crazy magnified for me. I went through 12 books in September. At least a lot of them were on sale.

I found out Sanderson is doing a booksigning near me on 11/16, so I'm probably buying Alloy of Law in hardcover. I can't wait to read it. Come out already!

I'm reading Hero of Ages on the Kindle right now. For some reason I put over eight months between it and the last book, but i've decided to finish it before Alloy of Law comes out. It's pretty great so far.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here's a good blog by Brandon about why he added guns into Mistborn.
http://torforge.wordpress.com/2011/11/01/my-14-year-old-self-might-take-issue-with-the-alloy-of-law/

Brandon Sanderson posted:

An example may help. I have a friend who once claimed he loved anime.

Over the years, he consistently found anime shows superior to what he found on television. But as he started to find more and more anime, he told me that he discovered something. He liked the anime he’d seen at first because these were the shows that were successful and well made, the ones with the quality or broad appeal to make the jump across cultures. He found that he didn’t like all anime—he only liked good anime. Sure, the medium had something important to do with it—but his enjoyment came more from the quality of his sample than the entire medium.

Oh Brandon, its ok to admit that this was you, we won't judge. :smug:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

"Good anime" yep he sure is a fantasy author!

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
I only like watching the very roundest eyeballs vibrate for a half hour.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Soon, Alloy of Law...soon...drat preview chapters on Tor had me drooling.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

mythicknight posted:

I am not ashamed to admit I have been checking the order status on Amazon once an hour all weekend.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

mythicknight posted:

I read the prologue and stopped after that because I didn't want to read 1/3 of the book and then suffer literary blueballs for weeks. I'm super pumped for my copy to arrive on Thursday, though! :dance:

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I preordered Alloy of Law for my kindle. What time should I be able to download this bad boy?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
The Kindle books I've ordered have usually been delivered a minute or two after midnight (Pacific time) on release day.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Kreeblah posted:

The Kindle books I've ordered have usually been delivered a minute or two after midnight (Pacific time) on release day.

Mine also. I usually get overexcited and spam the server at like 11:59. :ohdear:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
It shipped :neckbeard:

...is it tomorrow yet?

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

...is it tomorrow yet?

I don't know which book to read now. I may have to put down my current book on the Chciago Outfit as well as Memories of Ice by Steven Erickson to read Alloy of Law. Or I could just read all three at the same time.

Also, I ordered it on my Kindle so I'll be getting it sometime...tonight?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

404GoonNotFound posted:

...is it tomorrow yet?

MINE DID TOO! I'm so excited! :)

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

What the hell, forgot about this release day. Time to get my kindle back to work and order this.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Psh, I'm just gonna go to some book store, grab the book and read until finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

I'm gonna try some lesser known brick & mortar store around here. If I still can't grab a physical copy, I'll kneel to the kindle version :(