Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm not an idiot, I have my shield up, it just does nothing. It's a moot point - I'm not enjoying it and I remember from before what I have to look forwards to. Thought I'd give it another shot to make sure of my opinion. I posted because I was irked how often people call it 'fair' when I would disagree with that label.

"Your Mileage May Vary: The Game"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

If their attack is better than your defense, you will get hurt. Are these the skeletons in 4-1?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

the truth posted:

If their attack is better than your defense, you will get hurt. Are these the skeletons in 4-1?

No, he specified 1-1 so he means the dreglings that hang around all over there. If it were the skeletons from 4-1 then I'd definitely say you were getting your defense broken and fast.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Dark Souls is the game we all recommend to everyone now anyways.

I got a bunch of my friends into it and they're the kind of people who do nothing but play Smash Brothers and Rock Band. I think people trump up the difficulty of the game so it seems like they're in some exclusive club of Real Gamers, but it has a ton of ways to reward careful and methodical play and not feats of gaming prowess, and dying doesn't matter.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

It amazes me that blops is still so close to the top in Australia, most people I know with PS3s have never gone online with them :psyduck:.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Man, no wonder I never found a single film reel in LA Noire during my regular play. They're all in out-out-the-way locations that you'd never visit and require you to go out on foot, which is something you don't really do much of.

It's like a whole different game with whole new places to check out all of a sudden.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

TheMostFrench posted:

It amazes me that blops is still so close to the top in Australia, most people I know with PS3s have never gone online with them :psyduck:.

Working at an ISP, we have so many loving customers calling up saying "MY BLACK OPS SAYS MY NAT IS STRICT FIX IT!".

gently caress Activision for putting NAT info inside the loving game where every ignorant gently caress can see it and complain to their ISP. Like we have some loving control over how poo poo your router is?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
But that's just about every game, the only difference being that Call of Duty, Forza, and a handful of others actually tell you what the problem with your game is instead of just straight up not working. I'd rather there be an error that says "HEY HERE'S THE PROBLEM" instead of a vague "CONNECTION ERROR" or even worse no error thrown but you have no idea why you can't host a game or use your mic.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

TheMostFrench posted:

Then they don't count toward the list.

proka
Feb 6, 2007

Chard posted:

I'm not an idiot, I have my shield up, it just does nothing. It's a moot point - I'm not enjoying it and I remember from before what I have to look forwards to. Thought I'd give it another shot to make sure of my opinion. I posted because I was irked how often people call it 'fair' when I would disagree with that label.

"Your Mileage May Vary: The Game"

I was really excited when Demon's Souls was released in Australia. All of the hype on SA had me convinced that I would love it. I bought it day one and played it for about two weeks before deciding that it wasn't for me. There wasn't anything in particular that I felt was glaringly wrong with it, I just didn't enjoy the overall experience.

A few weeks ago I went through the exact same process with Dark Souls, except this time I absolutely loved the game. I'm not sure what changed as more experienced Demon's Souls players would be better at pointing out the differences, but I wholeheartedly recommend the sequel. It is such a better experience that I'd recommend it to people who didn't enjoy the original.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

proka posted:

A few weeks ago I went through the exact same process with Dark Souls, except this time I absolutely loved the game. I'm not sure what changed as more experienced Demon's Souls players would be better at pointing out the differences, but I wholeheartedly recommend the sequel. It is such a better experience that I'd recommend it to people who didn't enjoy the original.
In Demon's Souls, the only viable playthrough was really to dodge everything. You HAD to be good at dodging, since there was no such thing as 100% blocking shields.

Dark Souls really fixed that. Now, shield runs are viable - in fact, there are points that make them all but required. They might have adjusted too far, but, shield/armor runs remain a lot more user friendly and easier for average gamers to have fun with. It's a lot easier to drop in and just "block things", as compared to "I have to dodge that flame blast about a second after it starts, if I want my invulnerability frames to kick in at the right point."

... and also a bunch of other things. But breaking the gameplay out into multiple viable styles really helped to open it up.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 24, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I'm not too far into Dark Souls, but my playstyle has been low-armor (initially just trousers, to keep my fast roll) and a bloody great two-handed weapon. A Zweihander is lovely, as it can stun even 'heavy' enemies like golems and black knights.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
I wouldn't call Demon Souls and Dark Souls "fair", just "hard". Plenty of times I died from bullshit camera/hit detection/"OH HEY LET ME KICK THIS 100FT MONSTER INSTEAD OF SLASHING IT"/action queuing. That doesn't stop it from being a great game. It reminds me most of Operation Flashpoint and Armed Assault in terms of difficulty and quirks.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
I can't say how grateful I am to Sucker Punch for deciding to make Festival of Blood a standalone download tomorrow. As much as I enjoyed Infamous 2, I had to rent it upon release due to being low on funds, and it's going to be nice to be able to play this even without a copy of that game. Hopefully it does well enough to encourage other developers to try something similar (I kind of wish Undead Nightmare had been standalone too, since RDR was another rental).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's a standalone disk you can rent if you want to play it.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
...as well as the GOTY version of Red Dead Redemption that's already out, with Undead Nightmare in it.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Another vote for Dark Souls being far superior to Demon's Souls to the point where anyone frustrated with Demon's Souls should just drop it and get Dark Souls.

I went through almost the exact same experience as Proka. Heard about Demon's Souls' endless hype. Got the game and found it to be frustrating and obtuse. When Dark Souls rolled around I was sure I wasn't going to go near it but I started watching playthrough's on Youtube and ended up caving and ordering it. I was pleasantly surprised to see that a lot of the stuff that I found annoying and obtuse in Demon's Souls was gone and I've been playing Dark Souls like a madman ever sine then. I could probably go back to Demon's Souls and do a lot better than I initially did now that I'm used to the playstyle, but I don't see the point. Like I said said Dark souls is the game everyone recommends now anyway, and it's the better game, too, so I'm perfectly happy with it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Shalinor posted:

In Demon's Souls, the only viable playthrough was really to dodge everything. You HAD to be good at dodging, since there was no such thing as 100% blocking shields.

Wait what? Yes there was, there were just a lot more unblockable attacks in Demon's Souls. And on top of that, going above 50% equip weight was pointless since the difference between armors wasn't very big.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Dark Souls is better than Demon's in basically every possible way, I don't think I could actually go back and play Demon's now.

vvv There are monsters with grab attacks that if blocked still trigger the grab

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 25, 2011

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Cbouncerrun posted:

Wait what? Yes there was, there were just a lot more unblockable attacks in Demon's Souls. And on top of that, going above 50% equip weight was pointless since the difference between armors wasn't very big.
Eh, typo, but that's what I mean - very little in Dark Souls is unblockable. In fact I don't think I've found a single unblockable attack thus far, and I'm all the way through Anor Lando.

... unless you count giant demons falling out of the sky to squish you with their asses. I guess there's that.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Policenaut posted:

Dark Souls is better than Demon's in basically every possible way, I don't think I could actually go back and play Demon's now.

I think Demon's is easier to solo than Dark but since I've never had a problem finding help in Dark it hasn't been an issue.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Two questions about LA Noire:

1) How good is the DLC?
2) Does the season pass still work?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Jamesman posted:

Two questions about LA Noire:

1) How good is the DLC?
2) Does the season pass still work?

I'm not sure about the season pass, but I thought the DLC was pretty good. The problem with some of the DLC is that about half of the cases are blatantly filler cases, like cases that don't really progress Cole's story but build upon his character.

If you really like L.A. Noire then I'd suggest picking the DLC up, if the season pass still works then that's great. I have just one suggestion to make: play "Nicholson Electroplating" last. Out of all 5 DLC cases, it's the big "summer blockbuster" case with the most exciting events so it's a good note to close the game on in terms of played content.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't mind having a few more interesting cases to go through, but at the same time, it's not like each case was very long as anything. So buying 4 more cases is, like, an hour or two of gameplay probably? Or are they bigger and more challenging?

And while the season pass (if it still works) is cheaper, $12 is still a bit expensive for everything. That's almost as much as I paid for the whole game. :/

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yes, the Rockstar Season Pass still works. All it does is change the prices of all of the DLC cases and add-ons to free in the PSN Store.

If you can wait, and if renting is cheaper than buying the pass, rent the Complete Edition in 3 weeks and finish the DLC cases with it.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Yechezkel posted:

Yes, the Rockstar Season Pass still works. All it does is change the prices of all of the DLC cases and add-ons to free in the PSN Store.

If you can wait, and if renting is cheaper than buying the pass, rent the Complete Edition in 3 weeks and finish the DLC cases with it.

I would like to free up some space and LA takes up a good chunk with the addons, will you need to install those cases to the hdd to play them, using the complete edition? I can handle the small 1gig install but all that dlc takes up a lot of space.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
All Rockstar has said about the DLC cases and add-ons is that they are all on the disc. Nothing was revealed about HD install size yet.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 25, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was just watching the newest FF13-2 trailer and it sure looks like this time it's a proper JRPG, and not stripped down like its predecessor was. It still has all the same FF characters and story silliness we have come to expect though.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 25, 2011

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So how is Uncharted 1? I've never played this game before, what should I expect? I'm thinking tomb raider?

Also how long is it?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I was just watching the newest FF13-2 trailer and it sure looks like this time it's a proper JRPG, and not stripped down like its predecessor was. It still has all the same FF characters and story silliness we have come to expect though.

FF13-2 makes me sad. It actually seems to be shaping up into a real JRPG, but I absolutely hated 13 so I really don't care how good they end up making it because I have no desire to see a sequel to that piece of crap. Type-0 is supposed to be amazing from what I've read though, like it's the new FF9.

But hey, Tetsuya Nomura finally remembered FF Versus 13 exists!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Type-0? The demo of that was a pile of crap, one of the most boring things I have ever played. What's the deal?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Type Zero? The demo of that was a pile of crap, one of the most boring things I have ever played. What's the deal?

It's supposed to be that sort of classic meets modern fusion that FF9 was when it first came out. Kind of like what FF13-2 is trying to do but not chasing good money after bad. Side quests, towns, chocobo breeding, world maps, all that good stuff we used to take for granted packed into an Action RPG.

edit: oh and it's got new game+, the hallmark of a good RPG

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

It's supposed to be that sort of classic meets modern fusion that FF9 was when it first came out. Kind of like what FF13-2 is trying to do but not chasing good money after bad. Side quests, towns, chocobo breeding, world maps, all that good stuff we used to take for granted packed into an Action RPG.

edit: oh and it's got new game+, the hallmark of a good RPG
Huh. Well, it wouldn't be the first lovely demo that destroyed my excitement about an unreleased game.

Edit: I still don't intend to buy any new PSP games though.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Oct 25, 2011

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So how is Uncharted 1? I've never played this game before, what should I expect? I'm thinking tomb raider?

Also how long is it?

Imagine firing rubber bullets at enemies from an AK-47 and that is what combat is like n_n

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Also how long is it?

If you haven't played Uncharted 2 but are planning on getting into the series, Uncharted 1 is highly recommended. You can play it on medium difficulty (making the combat very easy) and just go through it for the story in a couple of short play sessions.

If you've already played U2, there are some improvements that personally make it almost impossible for me to go back to U1. I'm not saying there's inherently anything broken in U1, it's just that U2 is so unbelievably polished that little things (like no hit detection during certain enemy animations) in U1 will seem extremely obvious.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

whip posted:

Imagine firing rubber bullets at enemies from an AK-47 and that is what combat is like n_n
Play on hard mode - enemies seem to die faster, and the game just plays better. Of course, you die quicker too, so stay in cover and don't waggle your rear end at any armed fortune hunters.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shalinor posted:

Play on hard mode - enemies seem to die faster, and the game just plays better. Of course, you die quicker too, so stay in cover and don't waggle your rear end at any armed fortune hunters.

Those are pirates.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

GTA V trailer is coming next Wednesday.

http://www.rockstargames.com/

X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010
I know it is unlikely there are any, but to any goons in the East Midlands area of England: Wednesday night at Gamecity in Nottingham Robin Hunicke of thatgamecompany is going to be doing a playthrough of Journey, which is likely going to be fantastic given how well done the playthrough of Flower was a few years ago and so is probably worth a look. Then on Saturday morning Richard Lemarchand, lead game designer of Uncharted 3, is going to be showing off more Uncharted 3 (in case you can't wait the extra few days to own it) and talking about the creation and development of it.

Not sure if it is of any use to anybody, but I just thought it might be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

X_ThePerfect posted:

I know it is unlikely there are any, but to any goons in the East Midlands area of England: Wednesday night at Gamecity in Nottingham Robin Hunicke of thatgamecompany is going to be doing a playthrough of Journey, which is likely going to be fantastic given how well done the playthrough of Flower was a few years ago and so is probably worth a look. Then on Saturday morning Richard Lemarchand, lead game designer of Uncharted 3, is going to be showing off more Uncharted 3 (in case you can't wait the extra few days to own it) and talking about the creation and development of it.

Not sure if it is of any use to anybody, but I just thought it might be interesting.

I would go if I had money to spare for train travel, but sadly that is not the case :(

Speaking of Journey has there been any news of a release date yet? I played the beta and absolutely loved it. Best desert I have ever seen in a game!

• Locked thread