Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

waspinator posted:

I did this fight with a whip and bare fists. solo. You are missing out if you don't do this! :unsmith:

:smith:

You're my hero. I just want you to know that.

Gimmick runs rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Crowbear posted:

You're my hero. I just want you to know that.

Gimmick runs rule.

Thanks! You just wait until you see what I've "farted" up for my next run.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

waspinator posted:

I did this fight with a whip and bare fists. solo. You are missing out if you don't do this! :unsmith:

I hope you weren't using greater magic shield for that! :V

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rascyc posted:

Like it would last long enough to keep me alive when i'm using either of those weapons anyway. o_O

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rascyc posted:

Oh, the irony.

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Lost Izaliiiiiith!!!! :argh:

At least the bounders don't respawn like the book says.

I didn't have too much trouble. It took me 5 or 6 times, but that is about normal for me soloing bosses with no strategy coming in. I suppose I was lucky and got the two side orbs down on the first try.

To get the last one I did this: I activated iron flesh at the top of the ramp and then slid down, this gave me almost the exact protection I needed to get into position, and protect me if it threw out the fire spell. With Iron Flesh on I move into to position right outside the reach of his arms (are they arms?). Iron Flesh should be gone by now, but you are safe, he never casted the fire spell, and could not hit with the arms. Right after the second arm swings, just run for it. I got caught by the Scythe attack once and missed the jump once, but beat it on the third try.

Is this a good strategy or just dumb luck?

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

Is there any trick to cutting off Seath's tail? I need that Moonlight Sword but he either turns way too fast or demolishes me with his crazy tailsmash frenzy attack.

Is it just something I'll need a white phantom to help with if I can't handle his legless fury?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I found a "Need dodging" message after beating Ceaseless Discharge. I'd just put on all my fire resist gear, switched to the dragon crest shield, and tanked through the pain, so I stood at that message for a moment, looked at my 2 remaining estus, sighed and used a homeward bone.

I've been brute force-ing a lot of bosses lately. I think my next character will be straight-up evasion.

Satanos posted:

Is there any trick to cutting off Seath's tail? I need that Moonlight Sword but he either turns way too fast or demolishes me with his crazy tailsmash frenzy attack.

Is it just something I'll need a white phantom to help with if I can't handle his legless fury?

It's the very tip.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

stephelopholus posted:

I didn't have too much trouble. It took me 5 or 6 times, but that is about normal for me soloing bosses with no strategy coming in. I suppose I was lucky and got the two side orbs down on the first try.

He's not talking about the boss, he's talking about the area before it with lava and dragon legs everywhere.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
There was a comment for Seath's tail waaaay back in the thread. I haven't gotten to him, so I'm hazy on it. Something about hiding behind a crystal that needs to be destroyed and when he attacks run behind and go apeshit on his tail.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Satanos posted:

Make Quelaag's Furysword.

Stand in front of Seath's crystal, and start running to his tail when he shoots a laser, he'll brake it himself and stun himself and give you free hits. Two-hand your Furysword and just swing like crazy.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Hey Waspinator: Gimmick run idea. Throw Beatrice's Witch Robes and Witch Gloves, Black Leather Boots, and no headgear ever with the bun hairdo on a character, name the character Trinity, and only ever use Avelyn.

Lenaway
Feb 8, 2006

Touch Fuzzy
Get Dizzy

Satanos posted:

Stand in front and wait for him to start take a breath for his crystal attack, then sprint to the back and get 1 or 2 hits on the TIP of his tail. Should only take 3-5 attacks.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002

waspinator posted:

Does using fireballs and kung lao hat/shield thingy count as fists? ;) J/K Wasp! I ordered Demon Souls after watching the Street Fighter escape from Blightown.

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011

Cbouncerrun posted:

He's not talking about the boss, he's talking about the area before it with lava and dragon legs everywhere.

Ahhh, Sorry. Yea that is horrible too. I didn't take the time to kill any of them, just sprinted. Probably not the best idea, I died a lot.

Dogfood
Feb 15, 2004

Part of every balanced meal.
Sometimes I want to take the disk out of the machine and throw it out the goddamn window, but I'd just end up having to trudge back to pick up my souls.

Dogfood fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 25, 2011

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Invaded a guy doing blighttown. I hid behind a pillar near Quel domain entrance. He came out of the swamp, ate a moss and took a combustion right to the face for 90% of his hp. I felt bad so I just swung at him with my pyro hand... dammit dark souls I thought pvp would be fun not disheartening :smith:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

gravyflood posted:

I just died horribly to the gargoyles, and when I respawned at a bonfire I suddenly saw the black energy of a single Humanity float into my character and doip, one Humanity get. I did have one Humanity before the fight, and, upon checking, none of my messages were rated. What happened?

It happened again! This time I used a Homeward Bone and, as soon as I appeared at my bonfire, I got a humanity. No rated messages. This is starting to get a bit weird.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

gravyflood posted:

It happened again! This time I used a Homeward Bone and, as soon as I appeared at my bonfire, I got a humanity. No rated messages. This is starting to get a bit weird.

When you kill an enemy in a stage where you haven't killed the boss, you get a certain fraction of a humanity point (something like a fraction of a percent). So just killing random enemies over and over in a world with a living boss will eventually give you humanity "out of nowhere".

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

gravyflood posted:

Yeah I dunno what that is but sometimes on my lowby characters I'll die and instantly get a new humanity. Especially happens when I was doing starting areas.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

doomfunk posted:

Hey Waspinator: Gimmick run idea. Throw Beatrice's Witch Robes and Witch Gloves, Black Leather Boots, and no headgear ever with the bun hairdo on a character, name the character Trinity, and only ever use Avelyn.
That's going to be hard to setup considering you need to kill Four Kings before you can get Beatrice's witch outfit.

I guess you could SL1 beat the game and then NG+ with it though. Yep.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Palleon posted:

When you kill an enemy in a stage where you haven't killed the boss, you get a certain fraction of a humanity point (something like a fraction of a percent). So just killing random enemies over and over in a world with a living boss will eventually give you humanity "out of nowhere".

But what he mentions only happens as you respawn.

I had it happen a lot when I was Way of White, free humanity on respawn. But I haven't had it happen even once since switching to Gravelord.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
ahahah god damnit, it's like the game is actively playing against me. So I beat the big boss of the Depths my second try even while cursed. I felt like a huge bad rear end and then as I walk out of the boss area there are now 4 loving hints on the ground to tell me about his tail. Of course they were not there when I passed that area before the boss.

It's like there is a some huge matrix-like control room where some Japanese dev sits and watches everyone's game and pulls levers and switches to intact revenge on you. "Ahh he killed that boss while cursed on his 2nd try, I bet he feels bad rear end. Drop a bunch of signs on the ground to rub it in his face he forgot to chop his tail off and get some awesome loot. That should knock the smug off his face."

gently caress you Dark Souls I'm not killing a single thing in this game now until I have attempted to chop off it's tail.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Is there any benefit for crafting Sif's sword pure over the cursed version?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Captain Beans posted:

gently caress you Dark Souls I'm not killing a single thing in this game now until I have attempted to chop off it's tail.

Have fun on Seath.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Captain Beans posted:

ahahah god damnit, it's like the game is actively playing against me. So I beat the big boss of the Depths my second try even while cursed. I felt like a huge bad rear end and then as I walk out of the boss area there are now 4 loving hints on the ground to tell me about his tail. Of course they were not there when I passed that area before the boss.

It's a crappy item anyways unless you were planning on getting your strength up to ridiculous levels.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Zain posted:

Is there any benefit for crafting Sif's sword pure over the cursed version?

It has two Bs for scaling in Faith and Intelligence rather than two Cs. It permanently kills skeletons too.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

darkhand posted:

Yeah I dunno what that is but sometimes on my lowby characters I'll die and instantly get a new humanity. Especially happens when I was doing starting areas.

Hell, I'm certainly not complaining. I'm not in any covenant yet, though.

Also, took my Claymore up to +8 and I'm never gonna look back. :black101:
Until the patch

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

BTW the Darkhand R2 is pretty funny. Did it to that shitlord bowlhaircut Petrus multiple times and got 2 humanity. It also did that cool darkwraith grab attack on him! Bet it works on all hollowable/invading NPCs too.

Sens fortress is the best invading. I invaded a guy with 2 summons near the middle of the stage. Jumped through some pendulums and flipped the switch to the boulder trap:xd:. Killed one of the phantoms instantly. Another phantom rushed up and he soul arrowed me for half HP! I ended up 2 shotting him because the host wouldn't estus him. Then I flip the boulder again to another passage and head down the opposite one, only to have the boulder switch into my direction right as crossing the threshold, wtf? I died but goddamn that was a pretty good run.

Another invasion, the guy hit me with the trap at the entrance, ended up killing him with a sliver of hp left.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 25, 2011

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

neetz posted:

It has two Bs for scaling in Faith and Intelligence rather than two Cs. It permanently kills skeletons too.

The pure is from the broken sword right? I'm thinking of doing this on this character's run.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
This Darkwraith armor is so badass looking. Is it worth upgrading or is there another medium-heavy armor thats far better? Im trying to stay under 50% equip load.

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Lets beat our street fighter run so we can start our next run!

I LOVE THIS GAME
https://www.twitch.tv/waspinat0r

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

The pure is from the broken sword right? I'm thinking of doing this on this character's run.

Yup, Broken Straight Sword or Straight Sword Hilt, got mine from the former. I really like it as a weapon and if the patch works a little magic on scaling, I think it'll be really powerful if you like investing in the stats.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

neetz posted:

Yup, Broken Straight Sword or Straight Sword Hilt, got mine from the former. I really like it as a weapon and if the patch works a little magic on scaling, I think it'll be really powerful if you like investing in the stats.
Well right now it is the most powerful weapon in the game, at something like level 422 apparently. :>

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Ineffiable posted:

If i remember right, the broken sword is needed for the cursed version, and a regular sword makes the greatsword.

http://i.imgur.com/9dQJd.jpg

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yo how does an indictment work? Does the opponent have to have one in their inventory when I kill them or can they pick use it after they respawn?

Would quite like to get myself a little higher on that big 'ole list.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

If i remember right, the broken sword is needed for the cursed version, and a regular sword makes the greatsword.

http://i.imgur.com/9dQJd.jpg

I'm almost certain it's the other way around. I made the Cursed version for Knight's Honour last night and used a regular longsword for it.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

Satanos posted:

Yes, there's a trick and don't summon a phantom because they'll probably gently caress it up for you.

Don't break the crystal. Stand behind it and use it as cover. Seath will hesitate for a bit (maybe 15 - 30 seconds) but eventually will decide to attack anyway breaking the crystal himself. This will stun him for 10 seconds or so.

Run around to the back (you want to have equip burden under 25%) and hack away at the tip of his middle tail. If you do it right you should be able to cut it off before he recovers.

Unlike previous tails this one will leave a corpse so you need to make sure to loot it. It won't dissolve into a gold orb and because of its size it's hard to tell that it's lootable, much like the clams.

e: And beaten by a long shot. What I get for skimming posts.

oneliquidninja fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 25, 2011

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

neetz posted:

I'm almost certain it's the other way around. I made the Cursed version for Knight's Honour last night and used a regular longsword for it.
Same. I used a broken hilt to make the True Straightsword. I also like that it's called a Straightsword since Artorias was a giant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

Rascyc posted:

Well right now it is the most powerful weapon in the game, at something like level 422 apparently. :>

Before that, even. I boosted a character up to 390 (pretty much done playing at this point, so what the hell), and the Greatsword easily beats out everything else I've got. Quelaag's and my Lightning Winged Spear are the only things that even come close to matching its attack power, and even then there's a good 30 to 40 point disparity.

There might be something I don't have that comes closer, but I don't have the patience for farming up titanite slabs to test.

• Locked thread