Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Are there any good spooky Halloween-ish movies in the Criterion vault?
All I can think of off the top of my head is Eyes Without a Face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
http://www.criterion.com/explore/119-scary-movies

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Wow, one of the images they picked for that page is a pretty big spoiler.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Really? Which? I'm not a big horror fan and haven't seen a fair number of those.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

kaujot posted:

Really? Which? I'm not a big horror fan and haven't seen a fair number of those.

The Peeping Tom one is basically the big reveal from the ending. I understand that devoid of context it doesn't really matter, but I was still surprised to see it.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Are there any good spooky Halloween-ish movies in the Criterion vault?
All I can think of off the top of my head is Eyes Without a Face.

Onibaba is pretty freaky.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Under The Volcano isn't scary, but it's seasonally appropriate :spooky:

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I wouldn't really call House a scary movie, but it's spooky. It'd also make for a cool Halloween viewing party.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Vampyr is their best and creepiest horror movie.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

penismightier posted:

Vampyr is their best and creepiest horror movie.

Vampyr bored the poo poo outta me the one time I watched it. I was expecting to love it.

Anyway their best is clearly The Night of the Hunter or Repulsion.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I've never considered Night of the Hunter to be anything other than a film noir or thriller, it's a little more stylish and atmospheric than others of its age (excluding Kiss Me Deadly) but it's certainly not horror.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Thrillers qualify for October viewing, though.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
Why didn't you guys say Carnival of Souls

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

barkingclam posted:

I wouldn't really call House a scary movie, but it's spooky. It'd also make for a cool Halloween viewing party.

House makes for a great drinking game too. I've done it a couple times and the farther you get into the movie, the more drunk and confused your friends get.

The rules we use:
-Every time you hear the theme song.
-Every time one of the girls fulfills her stereotype. (Professor is smart, Kung Fu does kung fu, etc.)
-Every time the cat does magic.
-Every time someone reacts to the movie in confusion, befuddlement, or general 'WTF' responses, that person must take a drink.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Friedpundit posted:

House makes for a great drinking game too. I've done it a couple times and the farther you get into the movie, the more drunk and confused your friends get.

The rules we use:
-Every time one of the girls fulfills her stereotype. (Professor is smart, Kung Fu does kung fu, etc.)
-Every time someone reacts to the movie in confusion, befuddlement, or general 'WTF' responses, that person must take a drink.

This is an amazing game and I'm stealing it.

GHOSTBONER
Jan 23, 2008

this isn't shoegaze
this is suicide

Friedpundit posted:

The rules we use:

I made a drinking game for House too, but mine is a little more hardcore I think. Mine has the first two rules you have, but my third rule is to drink whenever the cat meows, and my fourth is to drink whenever an inanimate object attacks a character. I might just be a lightweight but I've never successfully finished the game.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Though it is mentioned on that "scary movies" collection page, I just want to stress that Kwaidan is a great place to start, especially if you're working around a viewing where people are bound to drift in and out.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Jigoku makes for great horror movie fare, namely in the final act.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Macrame_God posted:

Agreed.

I also like Cronos a lot. It's not particularly scary, but it's a fun movie and has a pretty original take on (mild spoiler) vampires.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
How to Get Ahead in Advertising is pretty creepy when you think about it. Sisters might be a good one as well.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Macrame_God posted:

That movie has the same WTF quotient as "House", except it's utterly goddamn disturbing instead of funny. That's one I love showing to people who've never heard of it, because the reaction is always stunned, slack-jawed silence for the last half-hour. Seconding "Onibaba". The mask on the cover is the inspiration for the 'Captain Howdy' face in "The Exorcist".

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 20, 2011

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

The picture at the top with the face in the reflection. What movie is that?

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

bat duck posted:

I might be wrong, but I think that's one of the flashes of Charlotte Gainsbourg's face in the train window of Antichrist.

SLAVOMACEDONIAN
Jul 30, 2011

I was thinking the same thing but I'm not sure though.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
I tried a Tineye search and it brought me over to Corridors of Blood http://www.criterion.com/films/806-corridors-of-blood

Which I wanna see now.

Edit: Oh, nope, thats not it. It brought me there because that same screenshot was in the corner advertising scary movies.

Friedpundit fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 21, 2011

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Friedpundit posted:

I tried a Tineye search and it brought me over to Corridors of Blood http://www.criterion.com/films/806-corridors-of-blood

Which I wanna see now.

Edit: Oh, nope, thats not it. It brought me there because that same screenshot was in the corner advertising scary movies.

Yeah, Corridors of Blood is B&W too. In the end I'd place my bets on Antichrist, because that's a forest flickering by in the background, and we know how much Antichrist loves its forests. Someone crazy enough to own it could check, maybe.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

A listing of Criterion blus on sale at Amazon, courtesy of dvdbeaver.

SLAVOMACEDONIAN
Jul 30, 2011

bat duck posted:

DetoxP posted:

Someone crazy enough to own it could check, maybe.

If you really need to know, you might want to send Criterion an email. Unless someone here does know for sure where it's from.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

It really looks like it's something Japanese, either Jigoku or Kwaidan, or possibly a Nobuo Nakagawa film that they haven't released yet.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

It's Antichrist. I don't own it but then I remembered it was on netflix, so I could just stream it to satisfy my curiosity. I couldn't get the exact frame, but it's pretty evident: http://i.imgur.com/WHtUq.png

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

DetoxP posted:

It's Antichrist. I don't own it but then I remembered it was on netflix, so I could just stream it to satisfy my curiosity. I couldn't get the exact frame, but it's pretty evident: http://i.imgur.com/WHtUq.png

Thanks alot.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

So, after having watched the Kuroneko blu-ray earlier this week, I have to wonder: am I the only one who had problems reading the subtitles? Has anyone else watched this and had the same problem? The subtitles themselves seem so faint and dim compared to other things I've watched. It's like they barely put any shader or shadows behind the letters, so when they're overlaid on an image that has white on it, they really draw attention to themselves because they're so hard to read. The font itself is pretty slim as well.

They're not unreadable and I've certainly seen worse, but I kept noticing how much I had to strain to read some of the subtitles in certain scenes.

Just wondering if I'm the only one that thought this or if this has been an issue with past Criterion blu-rays.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I absolutely hate the way Criterion has handled subtitles on bluray. I can't read them at all in many scenes because of the white text on a white image. I've increased contrast, etc., but nothing really helps all that much, and they seem to be oblivious about the issue.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Subtitles are done out of house, don't expect them to match up to visual standards anytime soon.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The more pressing issue is that the subtitles still fail the deaf and hard-of-hearing.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The more pressing issue is that the subtitles still fail the deaf and hard-of-hearing.

I watched the Leningrad Cowboys set this weekend and they had optional SDH subtitles.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Amazon put up some OOP Criterion and Essential Art House DVDs at good prices here.

Now's your chance to get Peeping Tom.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Amazon put up some OOP Criterion and Essential Art House DVDs at good prices here.

Now's your chance to get Peeping Tom.

Thanks for this! Picked up Peeping Tom, Le Trou, and Quai Des Orfevres.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
File name is wacky_skinnycows.jpg. No idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Robert Denby posted:

File name is wacky_skinnycows.jpg. No idea.

Obviously Kung Pow: Enter The Fist.