Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

DarkArchimedes posted:

I have mixed thoughts on that fight.

On the one hand, it does feel like maybe it was a bit rushed. On the other, Gwyn is basically a burned out husk, and the end of the game isn't about him so much as about whether you choose to follow in his footsteps or drastically change the world. It might have actually been an aesthetic choice to make the final boss fight much simpler.

I agree about Gwyn (should we spoil this?): I think the absence of an intro is to underline the point that he is nothing more than a hollow. The Gaping Dragon, Gargoyles, O&S, etc. were all living (in some sense), and seemed coherent, if violent. Unlike the others, Gwyn is roughly the mental equivalent of the first zombie you fight.

Or it was rushed, but the effect is the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

neetz posted:

Yes, and it was a huge pain in the arse. Took three or four suicides and on the time I did it, she was one hit away from death. I ended up whacking her tail with Smough's Hammer as it was the only thing I had on me with a smash attack. I had to use Combustion very sparingly to get her to appear again.

It still wasn't as tedious as Seathe's tail. More difficult but definitely not as tedious.
I am so scared I am just going to kill her and then I'm screwed until NG+++.

Eiderann
Jan 28, 2007

Restrict the restless hands, which quickly become the workmates of the Outsider.
The Havok physics engine has never been so charming. I killed a Wheel Skeleton mid-roll and it shot straight up into the sky and, as far as I can tell, never came back down.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Eiderann posted:

The Havok physics engine has never been so charming. I killed a Wheel Skeleton mid-roll and it shot straight up into the sky and, as far as I can tell, never came back down.

The Skelewheel deaths are one of the funniest parts of the game, as sometimes their skeletal selves get disconnected from the wheel before they actually collapse into pieces, and the physics engine's confused flailings end up sending either the skeleton or the wheel into outer space.

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The poo cannon run is exactly what it sounds like. I will be throwing dung pies at everything until it is dead. (i need toxic resistance items)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

waspinator posted:

The poo cannon run is exactly what it sounds like. I will be throwing dung pies at everything until it is dead. (i need toxic resistance items)

Might I suggest that you allow yourself poison throwing knives as well?

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

gravyflood posted:

Might I suggest that you allow yourself poison throwing knives as well?

oh yes

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Where in Firelink is Sieglinde of Catarina? I rescued her from the golden golem.

ericthebear
Mar 4, 2011

waspinator posted:

Are there even any toxic resist items in the game?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Boosh! posted:

Where in Firelink is Sieglinde of Catarina? I rescued her from the golden golem.

She should be right by the fire. You may have to complete Sieg's event in the swamp before she shows up though.

ericthebear posted:

The Blood shield comes to mind.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

ericthebear posted:

Poison resistance will let you resist Toxic status a bit better because Toxic is more like Super Poison.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
I do hope you'll invade some worlds and poo poo all over them.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

waspinator posted:

Pyromancer set is the highest poison resist you can find early. By a large margin.

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

I bought this game on the Australian release date to play on my ~three week old playstation. After a few false starts over the next week or so, I rolled a new character and beat the Bell Gargoyles with the help of Solaire in two hours or so. Decided to pop in for a shower while I stood safely at the door leading down to Lower Under Burg. Get back, my PS3 is no longer recognizing that it has power coming to it. Check the cables, everything is working fine, guess the unit had died.

Looked over the machine and was highly disappointed to not find a manual release catch, meaning that the game was trapped inside (we have another ps3 in the house, and I just wanted to roll another new character). Took the unit back to Electronics Boutique (where I'd bought it) a couple of days later to find that not only was I by that point a day outside of their swap-over return policy, but that the staff were also unaware of any surreptitious release catches and that I would have to send the entire thing back to Sony. This caused me concern as it meant that I would possibly be up to another month before I could continue playing. After an hour or two umming and erring I decided to simply do what I'd done to buy the game in the first place- go to JB Hi-Fi across from Electronics Boutique, buy three cheap pre-owned games and trade them in on a deal JB often does on new releases.

Unfortunately, there were no options that would have added up to less than the $89 to buy the game that would also not be on the list of games JB wouldn't accept for trade in. Fair enough, so I figured I'd just buy the game again and gift it off to some poor unsuspecting soul in the coming months. After a long wait in line, I find that the staff are unable to locate the discs because they're being counted for stocktake or something. Okay, whatever. Went across to EB again, talked to the (pretty cool) guys behind the counter who tell me that they've been getting a zillion first week returns on Dark Souls from people complaining that they couldn't get past the tutorial or something. In light of my difficulty, the guy gives me ten dollars off and I go home with a second copy and the Playstatin support line number to call.

Playstation support tells me that there IS a release catch, but that. Need to take out the clip on the underside and find a tiny screwdriver to turn anti clockwise about ten times. Makes sense, really, and after a mad hunt I find a jeweller's flathead that fits and retrieve my precious disc. The next day I returned the used copy for full price store credit that I will likely use for Batman after exams finish.

The real Dark Souls starts here.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I dislike how the starting catalyst, barring one exception (and with a big drawback), is the best in the game. Demon's Souls, if I remember right, was the same way. Let me find new cool stuff to use as a wizzy :(

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
Does this game get fun again after blight town or does it remain a loving slog all the way through to the end? I'm at the first bonfire in blight town and I just don't give a poo poo anymore. After two days of spending all my free time dying without really any clue what's going on I've just about loving had it. It isn't challenging, it isn't "hard" it's just bullshit. I keep getting attacked by magic blood spraying mosquitoes every single time I engage an enemy anywhere near the bottom of the swamp. At which point, targetting becomes impossible since my guy just spins around until he gets hung on geometry on one of those horribly designed loving bridges and just dies, sending me fifteen minutes back in time.

Seriously, does this game get any better or does it stay this loving awful?

For the record I played through Demon's Souls up to like NG+++ and had none of this frustration, so I am not an idiot, this game just has some really, really lovely parts.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I use crossbows to get rid of the bugs before they come too close to me. Or maybe use horizontal swings when they are too close. What I did was to wait on an island and look around to see where they are coming from, then used a crossbow to kill them and run to another island and repeat.

And since you played Demon's Souls then this is like the Valley of Defilement again only your doing it early. And after a certain point, you don't really need to traverse Blighttown ever again.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
are there more hard bits in anor londo after that run up the roof to the two sniper knights? because uh, i did that in two attempts and never got hit by an arrow in either case, run straight line jumproll around one shot and you're in melee range, why all the wailing and gnashing of teeth. SL33 and anor londo has been a pleasant walk in the park so far, but judging by the levels in this thread i'm gonna be way too low for the matchmaker to find a viable summon partner for the boss :/

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

NarkyBark posted:

I dislike how the starting catalyst, barring one exception (and with a big drawback), is the best in the game. Demon's Souls, if I remember right, was the same way. Let me find new cool stuff to use as a wizzy :(

It's not the best if you want to hit things with your catalyst for fire damage. Or, or, use faith to cast spells. Or have 48 intelligence. :(

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

Platypus Farm posted:

Blighttown

There's a Bonfire down in the swamp, if you took the master key you can skip nearly all of it, and it get's good again afterwards with Sens Fortress and then Anor Londo.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

NarkyBark posted:

Logan's is better than the starter one if you have enough INT.

The tin crystal one is like the insanity cata equivalent, except obviously worse since spell charges are more valuable than mana. Still useful sometimes like killing the poo poo outta bosses in two casts.

I just wish there was a talisman of beasts equivalent or some super cata that could cast sorcery/miracles/pyromancy.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

waspinator posted:

oh yes

You really need to get the turdlord run over with, so you can start on that Zeus run I recommended.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Ayn Randi posted:

are there more hard bits in anor londo after that run up the roof to the two sniper knights? because uh, i did that in two attempts and never got hit by an arrow in either case, run straight line jumproll around one shot and you're in melee range, why all the wailing and gnashing of teeth. SL33 and anor londo has been a pleasant walk in the park so far, but judging by the levels in this thread i'm gonna be way too low for the matchmaker to find a viable summon partner for the boss :/

Solaire has a summon sign for that boss. Enjoy some jolly coop with him.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Kiln of the first flame is high level duel central. I'm getting smoked alive.

edit: Got 4 shot by a shotel user

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 26, 2011

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

A BLACK PRESIDENT posted:

You really need to get the turdlord run over with, so you can start on that Zeus run I recommended.
Is that the one where you spend all your time casting chameleon and chasing female PCs/NPCs around without your pants on until they kill themselves?

ericthebear
Mar 4, 2011

Platypus Farm posted:

Does this game get fun again after blight town or does it remain a loving slog all the way through to the end? I'm at the first bonfire in blight town and I just don't give a poo poo anymore. After two days of spending all my free time dying without really any clue what's going on I've just about loving had it. It isn't challenging, it isn't "hard" it's just bullshit. I keep getting attacked by magic blood spraying mosquitoes every single time I engage an enemy anywhere near the bottom of the swamp. At which point, targetting becomes impossible since my guy just spins around until he gets hung on geometry on one of those horribly designed loving bridges and just dies, sending me fifteen minutes back in time.

Seriously, does this game get any better or does it stay this loving awful?

For the record I played through Demon's Souls up to like NG+++ and had none of this frustration, so I am not an idiot, this game just has some really, really lovely parts.

There are hard parts to come, its more about getting into the groove. Blighttown is not really that hard compared to certain other parts of the game. I'm looking at you Anor Londo, Crystal Caves and Lost Izalith. Even those become easy once you know what to do. I guess what I'm trying to say is, its only hard the first time.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Haw. Angry Joe did a "first twenty minutes" impression of Dark Souls, and it gets downright hilarious once he gets to the Asylum Demon.

"I don't really see what the big deal is, this game isn't that hard--holy poo poo! Jesus! *wham!* God! Run away!" *runs to the door on the opposite end* "It's locked?! NO!" *runs past the door you're supposed to escape through* "Maybe there's something in these jars I have to use-- I need an epic weapon!

Then he begins flailing hoplelessly with the broken sword. "I'm a kill you! I cut your belly! Aaa---gaaa!" Then "are those tiny numbers the damage I'm doing? Two...four...six...eight... who do we appreciate?"

Other fun bits of desperation are using his "banish phantoms" and "darksign" items, and wondering how the hell the Asylum demon can fly on such tiny wings. THEN he finds the escape door, gets his sword, gets his sweet revenge on the Asylum demon...and falls off the cliffs in the next room.

Good times. That guy cracks me up.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
the problem with blighttown is learning to navigate blighttown, once you know the path (from valley of the drakes at least) you can be from ogres at the top to bonfire to boss chamber in under a minute, the only enemies in the way are like 2 or 3 fire dogs that you don't even need to fight. If you're standing still long enough for the flying blood vomit bugs to reach you you're doing it wrong. get the rusted ring from the asylum if you want to run about the water quickly but it's not strictly neccessary at least for ringing the bell. you're going to get poisoned, dont bother trying to avoid it just flask up when necessary and bring purple moss from darkroot to eat before the boss

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I actually just finished Blighttown, and I didn't find it that bad, but I did kind of have the luxury of knowing what I was getting into so I prepared for it (find the Spider Shield and bring a shitload of moss)

Problem is, not quite sure what to do next. I killed the Discharged thing but don't really want to continue deeper in that direction is there a quick way out of Blighttown, back to the Depths and Burg? I tried messing around in Drake Valley and that ended up costing me a good 15k Souls.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.
I just finished the game about an hour ago and IMO it was pretty good but I felt it dropped the ball in a few places that Demon's Souls excelled at. Namely Boss design.

The over all feel and tone of the world I much preferred in Dark Souls. I'm not someone that's missed the Nexus or the Maiden for that matter. I felt the game world and NPCs in it had more substance this time around.

I also enjoyed the level design in Dark Souls. Of the zones commonly mentioned in this thread as ones people hate Lost Izalith was the only one I couldn't stand and that was mostly due to my eyes feeling like they were going to bleed. I wish Duke's Archives was creepier and scarier but I didn't hate it by any means.

But back to my number one complaint. Boss fights.

Seriously, who ever designed the boss fights for this game should be fired. The same boss model was recycled and recolored three times, along with the move set. The Gargoyle fight was practically the Maneater fight from Demon's Souls. They took the cutting off tails thing to far and turned it into to much of a gimmick. Gaping Dragon and the Chaos Witch where fun. O and S are alright. I didn't enjoy a single boss fight after O and S.

Nito was a chump (I literally mashed R1 and square until he died). Four Kings was Iron Flesh = Win. Iron Golem wasn't interesting aside from the tight terrain you fight him on, certainly not more interesting then the Tower Knight. Chaos Bed was gimmicky and less fun then Dragon King (and seriously that bug was supposed to be a lord's soul.. wtf!!) . Seathe? I seriously almost forgot to include him because the only thing challenging about him was cutting off his tail. Same with Priscilla. Ceaseless Discharge, the Fat Fire Demon, and the Centipede thing where all forgettable (and all died on my first attempt).

I kept hoping for a cool rear end Tower Knight fight or a fight like the original Gargoyle fight which was a bitch even after you knew the strategy for it. Or the Monk fight? Or the blind guy? Or the demon with the big cleaver stuck in his side? The list goes on. Demon's souls had some of the coolest boss fights I've ever seen in a video game and Dark Souls had... Gaping Dragon and the Spider Chick.

So yeah, minor complaints aside on some of the zone design (and making my eyes loving bleed for an hour) the biggest let down for me was the boss fights.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I actually just finished Blighttown, and I didn't find it that bad, but I did kind of have the luxury of knowing what I was getting into so I prepared for it (find the Spider Shield and bring a shitload of moss)

Problem is, not quite sure what to do next. I killed the Discharged thing but don't really want to continue deeper in that direction is there a quick way out of Blighttown, back to the Depths and Burg? I tried messing around in Drake Valley and that ended up costing me a good 15k Souls.

You can either sprint through Drake Valley back to the Upper Burg or you can go out the way you came. Make sure you have the fire-keeper soul from the water wheel because the next two dungeons are back to back and rather lengthy.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

waspinator posted:

Gargoyle tail axe increased some weird resistances like poison/bleed. So that + blood shield + whatever the poison ring is might let you walk in radioactive ooze or something.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Barudak posted:

You can either sprint through Drake Valley back to the Upper Burg or you can go out the way you came. Make sure you have the fire-keeper soul from the water wheel because the next two dungeons are back to back and rather lengthy.

Yeah I found that, found the Chaos Severent place and joined them (I was in Way of the White, hope that doesn't gently caress me over but whatever) and I found the Fire Ember. Actually the main reason I want to get out is too see if I can get a good Fire Weapon now, been using the loving Drake Sword for too long.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Speedball posted:

Haw. Angry Joe did a "first twenty minutes" impression of Dark Souls, and it gets downright hilarious once he gets to the Asylum Demon.

"I don't really see what the big deal is, this game isn't that hard--holy poo poo! Jesus! *wham!* God! Run away!" *runs to the door on the opposite end* "It's locked?! NO!" *runs past the door you're supposed to escape through* "Maybe there's something in these jars I have to use-- I need an epic weapon!

Then he begins flailing hoplelessly with the broken sword. "I'm a kill you! I cut your belly! Aaa---gaaa!" Then "are those tiny numbers the damage I'm doing? Two...four...six...eight... who do we appreciate?"

Other fun bits of desperation are using his "banish phantoms" and "darksign" items, and wondering how the hell the Asylum demon can fly on such tiny wings. THEN he finds the escape door, gets his sword, gets his sweet revenge on the Asylum demon...and falls off the cliffs in the next room.

Good times. That guy cracks me up.

I don't know if you're some sort of post-modern poster but here in boring everyday world when we want to talk about a video we post a link to it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah I found that, found the Chaos Severent place and joined them (I was in Way of the White, hope that doesn't gently caress me over but whatever) and I found the Fire Ember. Actually the main reason I want to get out is too see if I can get a good Fire Weapon now, been using the loving Drake Sword for too long.

The next dungeon gifts you a lightning spear and that can carry you through the endgame. Flame weapon isn't a bad idea either.

ericthebear
Mar 4, 2011

Heavy neutrino posted:

I don't know if you're some sort of post-modern poster but here in boring everyday world when we want to talk about a video we post a link to it.

going to youtube and searching for "angry joe dark souls" seemed to work...Tough right?

Edit:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4oMnXEuDrM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4oMnXEuDrM

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Heavy neutrino posted:

http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2011/10/dark-souls-angry-review/
or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4oMnXEuDrM

I'm a moron! Sorry.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

theres an exit from valley of the drakes to new londo just next to the elevator up to firelink, if you dont have the master key youll need to snag the gate key on your way out

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Blighttown wound up being a heckuva lot easier than I thought it'd be based on some of the reactions on the board. The area on the catwalks wasn't a problem. Just lure out any troll or ghoul creature and pick them off one by one so you don't get knocked around. The swamp wasn't much more difficult. Just have a number of mosses handy and GET EQUIP RUSTED IRON RING FOR GOD'S SAKE. Not even the toxic blowdart guys proved too be much of a problem, I only needed 4 blooming purple mosses.

The only lovely part was that a lot of people invaded me there. Seriously. Invade in blighttown? Dick move. The first time I was behind one of the shanty huts before the swamp area. The invader couldn't reach me. It became a really tense war of attrition for about fifteen minutes, with me poking him through the hut with a spear, or him trying to kill me with crazy gently caress off magic I've never seen (doing a minimal magic run - I currently only have a heal miracle and a light spell), and a repeating lighting crossbow. I got him down to a third of his health before he got onto my platform and wasted me with his weapons - but it was awesome!

Then the second invader cast that miracle that makes you super slow and one-hit backstabbed me within a minute of being in my game. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Ayn Randi posted:

I get killed by the two big knights outside the boss room there pretty often, at least if I'm on my own. Taking the two of them at once is really hard.

• Locked thread