Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I spent a far bit too much recently on some of my favorite German tools.

Chadstoolbox.com had a 25% off Wera weekend and $500 later I now have a full metric 1/4, 3/8. and 1/2 of every commonly used socket on my cars. Along with locking
extensions, wobble extensions, flex joints, metric/standard ball allen, mini screwdrivers, chisel drivers (screw drivers you can hammer on), a bitratchet set, and a full set of Knipex pliers wrenches.
The awesome ratchets came with screwstick bottle openers as a free gift. Next up are some NWS pliers.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

kastein posted:

drywall is ~$7/sheet (1/2"), plywood is ~$16 (same thickness.) I'd probably go with plywood for strength/durability, but it is more expensive...

If I build a garage it's staying unfinished past the 8 foot mark (MIGHT finish it up to that point) on the walls, and any money I save not completely finishing it will go into 2x4s and plywood to build a bunch of deep heavy duty shelves and racks along the walls for motors, transmissions, transfer cases, axles, toolboxes, power tools, etc. I hate piling that stuff up, and I hate losing floor space because I have everything spread out along the walls.

You should also budget for a decent amount of insulation. Nothing's better than a shop that gets warmed up from only the overhead lights. :)

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

the spyder posted:

I spent a far bit too much recently on some of my favorite German tools.

Chadstoolbox.com had a 25% off Wera weekend and $500 later I now have a full metric 1/4, 3/8. and 1/2 of every commonly used socket on my cars. Along with locking
extensions, wobble extensions, flex joints, metric/standard ball allen, mini screwdrivers, chisel drivers (screw drivers you can hammer on), a bitratchet set, and a full set of Knipex pliers wrenches.
The awesome ratchets came with screwstick bottle openers as a free gift. Next up are some NWS pliers.

poo poo! Was this sale this past weekend?! Why didn't you tell us?! :(

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Sockington posted:

You should also budget for a decent amount of insulation. Nothing's better than a shop that gets warmed up from only the overhead lights. :)

yup!

And fiberglass is pretty cheap.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

kastein posted:

yup!

And fiberglass is pretty cheap.

I've always been a fan of rockwool (Roxul). It can take a bit more abuse when being installed without losing 95% of the effectiveness when slightly compressed (fiberglass gets compressed stupid easy and ruins the air cells).

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

ASSTASTIC posted:

poo poo! Was this sale this past weekend?! Why didn't you tell us?! :(

Sorry mate, only thought of the thread two weeks after it shipped.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

metallicaeg posted:

Before I buy http://www.harborfreight.com/rapid-pump-3-ton-heavy-duty-floor-jack-68048.html and a set of stands there tomorrow, for what is pictured to be and reviewed as a solid floor jack for $80 I shouldn't be too concerned about it being useless in six months should I?
Figured I'd follow this up and say this jack seems as good as my uncle's Craftsman that's just as big with the same lifting capacity. Works really good, very smooth and the $20 jack stand pair I got with it feel solid enough too.

Lifted up the entire side of my TL in a few pumps and the long handle also came in handy fitting over my tire iron giving me some leverage with some rusted lugs.

Now that I'm moving out on my own I've wasted time at work and found no less than 36 items at HF that I want to have :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Finally Snapped my 3/8 breaker bar from HF. What did it in? Rear Hub bolts on my 95 Maxima, and that was after jumping up and down on the motherfucker.

Went to HF and they replaced it without blinking an eye, I also bought a 1/2 breaker bar to finish the job. That fucker bent a good few degrees also but broke the bolt clear.

This is why I love Harbor Freight.
Subject your Breaker bar to 1000+Ft/Lbs of torque and snap it? Go get another one!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Why I love Husky?

Do the same thing and it doesn't snap! I've had a four foot cheater pipe on my Husky breaker bar, giving it every bit of force I can (so probably around 1000-1200 foot pounds.) The 1/2" drive extension torqued off, the breaker bar was unharmed. It's twice the price of the HF one, but when that means $20 instead of $10 I'm willing to spring the extra cash... especially when a friend of mine who is not known for his strength managed to break his 1/2" HF breaker bar the first time he used it, while I'm generally the guy people ask to move heavy things and have failed to break my Husky one for two years running.

Some things HF is good for, high torque / quality electronics / precision tools / metallurgical products such as welding wire are certainly not among them. Things for lifting heavy poo poo and keeping things off the ground? Sure.

e: oh, and Husky has a similar warranty... and there are more Home Depot stores to get it replaced at than Harbor Freight!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Speaking of breeaking things: in a pinch, I had to pick up a Stanley 3/8" to 1/2" adapter at Wal-Mart tonight, for use with a breaker bar.

On the fourth use, sheared the drat thing in half. :argh:

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
We routinely snapped a snap-on 3/4>1/2 adapter in Iraq. Getting new tools there is somewhat more difficult. The adapter was used when setting brake drums for UAVs. You would adjust the puck while someone spun the drum with a torque wrench. You *could* use the wrench directly, but you had to brace your feet and row. We had a torque multiplier that would let you do it one handed. The adapter went between the multiplier and the drum. Never figured out why it kept breaking.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

metallicaeg posted:

Figured I'd follow this up and say this jack seems as good as my uncle's Craftsman that's just as big with the same lifting capacity. Works really good, very smooth and the $20 jack stand pair I got with it feel solid enough too.

Lifted up the entire side of my TL in a few pumps and the long handle also came in handy fitting over my tire iron giving me some leverage with some rusted lugs.

Now that I'm moving out on my own I've wasted time at work and found no less than 36 items at HF that I want to have :v:

Are the jack and stands online only or is the same price in-store?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Does anyone have experience with Coleman air compressors? This seems like a decent deal, but I've never owned one so not quite sure what to look out for.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Looks like a rebranded craftsman. It's going to be loud as gently caress.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Nodoze posted:

Are the jack and stands online only or is the same price in-store?
They were the same price in-store and looks like they're still on sale.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
This has been re-iterated a bunch of times, but they'll always match in-store if you print out the online price (or probably just show'em on your phone if you've got a smart-phone). I've never had them say no to matching.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Sockington posted:

Tile adhesives from the 50s/60s? Asbestos? :tinfoil:

Come to find out, that part of the house was added on in the 70's so I'm in the clear, though I never do construction work in this house without a 3m respirator. The 4" sawzall scraper tool works like a dream! What took me 4 hours and an arm burning from repetitive motion work, this tool did in about 5 minutes. I'm gonna have to try either solvent or a heat gun to get the last paper glue layer off the cement though. That part is still a bitch and a half to remove though the part I did do took about 1/10th the amount of time vs the old scraper method. The house with the back room remodel was built in "1919" meaning that's when they started keeping records of houses in this area, so who knows how much older the original house is, it's a frankenhouse of sorts and addons. Slowly but surely everything is getting a uniform makeover, we've been there for 18 months and have 1/2 the house completed. My luck by the time everything is exactly the way we want it, my wife will want to get another house and I'll be starting the process all over again. :argh:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Need a compressor...I'd like to go used, but seems like what you find on CL is a mixed bag...any deals on something for home garage use? 120v, No spraying, just standard basic air tool work.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
1) Get a oiled unit- oilless will drive you slowly insane with the noise
2) Find out the required CFM of your largest air tool and add 2cfm, this should
give you the number of CFM you need to look for.
3) Watch out for "all in one motor-pump combo" units as they are basically throw away units.

My backup compressor is a Husky 30gal vertical unit with a 3.5hp 15amp 120v motor and iron pump. I got it for $50 off CL, changed the oil, and it runs great.
Grab a speedair filter/pressure regulator and you should be set. ALWAYS drain your compressor after every use unless you want the tank to rust out.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...06-36da8b50359c

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I just dropped nearly $600 at Harbor Freight. Hope this whole "doing my own wrenching" thing pans out!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
It will.

I hope it wasn't a whole butt load of electric tools from HF. Though I have had excellent luck with the angle grinders, and they are actually lasting longer than expected.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

It will.

I hope it wasn't a whole butt load of electric tools from HF. Though I have had excellent luck with the angle grinders, and they are actually lasting longer than expected.

No electric tools. Picked up a floor jack, jack stands, air compressor, 1/2" impact wrench, 1/2" deep well and normal socket sets in SAE and metric, 25" breaker bar, SAE and metric ratcheting wrench sets and then air hose and some other odds and ends. I figure that between the 3 vehicles my wife and I own, this stuff should all pay for itself within a year or so.

And now I can kick down my crappy old socket and wrench set to my brother so he will quit borrowing my tools all the drat time.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Goldmund posted:

I just dropped nearly $600 at Harbor Freight. Hope this whole "doing my own wrenching" thing pans out!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

It will.

See this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444733&pagenumber=1 OP got taken to the cleaners for north of $1000 for a rear brake job that would have cost maybe a quarter of that had he done it himself. Your $600 in tools could literally pay for themselves (and then some) in one job.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 27, 2011

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Though I have had excellent luck with the angle grinders, and they are actually lasting longer than expected.

If by excellent you mean "I only stalled it once every 3 or 4 minutes and it didn't explode at all", I agree. But for $15 on sale I really have no room at all to complain. They really could use more power......or maybe I was spoiled by the Milwaukee I was borrowing from a friend before I bought a HF one.

Goldmund posted:

No electric tools. .....air compressor

Best of luck. I've been through 3 of the smallest 240v ones. They like to poo poo rings and/or the reed valve thing at the top. I only have kept going because the first 2 replacement were free. I've yet to get the last one going again, it's it out of warranty.

But the parts I thought I needed were cheap enough....I just don't really know how compressors work well enough to know what is wrong at this point. It ejected its oil, seized the rod/wrist pin, and I replaced them as well as the gaskets up top. It makes some air, but doesn't produce any real pressure. I'm assuming I screwed up the reassembly because of this, but I don't really know. So to hijack, if anyone knows anything about this I'd really appreciate for some pointers.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

ratbert90 posted:

This is why I love Harbor Freight.
Subject your Breaker bar to 1000+Ft/Lbs of torque and snap it? Go get another one!

Harbor Freight is the new Sears. And actually more dependable sometimes.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Motronic posted:

Best of luck. I've been through 3 of the smallest 240v ones. They like to poo poo rings and/or the reed valve thing at the top. I only have kept going because the first 2 replacement were free. I've yet to get the last one going again, it's it out of warranty.

But the parts I thought I needed were cheap enough....I just don't really know how compressors work well enough to know what is wrong at this point. It ejected its oil, seized the rod/wrist pin, and I replaced them as well as the gaskets up top. It makes some air, but doesn't produce any real pressure. I'm assuming I screwed up the reassembly because of this, but I don't really know. So to hijack, if anyone knows anything about this I'd really appreciate for some pointers.

I went with this one here http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-compressors/2-1-2-half-hp-10-gallon-125-psi-air-compressor-67708.html

Hopefully it holds up.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Motronic posted:

What's the brand/model?

I'd say either your rings are shot or your valves aren't sealing or closing properly. The valves are a super simple assembly, just metal flaps covering a hole to only let air through one way. Make sure they're laying flat against their seats at rest and that they aren't rusted shut. Checking the rings is easy enough, just look for obvious cracking or gouging and make sure they aren't loose in the bores.

Basic reed valve head. Intake on the right, exhaust on left.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
Everyone should know that amazon is currently carrying torin products. Their jacks stands are of higher quality than HF stuff and costs slightly lest via amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=torin+jack+stand&x=0&y=0&sprefix=torin+jack

I just ordered two pair of the 6 ton to replace a set of my HF 6 ton. Last time I was working on my Audi one of the ratchets broke(luckily it broke so that I couldn't lower the jack stand instead of collapsing). It was the first time I had used that jack stand.

Also, this is a pretty loving awesome deal for a nice racing jack and two stands: http://www.amazon.com/OTC-1533-Aluminum-Racing-Capacity/dp/B002QMV70M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319732859&sr=8-1

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
The small torin jack I had did not last as long as my HF racing jack, though the HF racing jack was significantly larger.

That said I have used the jack stand that came with that jack exlusively for years and been very happy.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
The main reason I like their jack stands more is because of the locking pin. Extra safety is good.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
If I were looking to invest in a system of cordless tools with a decent drill/driver, reciprocating saw, and a legit impact, what should I be looking at?

Milwaukee has their lithium 18v system with an impact that does 450 ft-lbs. Anything out there with similar power that isn't so loving expensive? (Or, do I need that kind of power for normal household / auto uses? I figured if I were going to get an impact it should be able to really apply some torque.)

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

If I were looking to invest in a system of cordless tools with a decent drill/driver, reciprocating saw, and a legit impact, what should I be looking at?

Milwaukee has their lithium 18v system with an impact that does 450 ft-lbs. Anything out there with similar power that isn't so loving expensive? (Or, do I need that kind of power for normal household / auto uses? I figured if I were going to get an impact it should be able to really apply some torque.)

I vote Makita.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

oxbrain posted:

What's the brand/model?

I'd say either your rings are shot or your valves aren't sealing or closing properly. The valves are a super simple assembly, just metal flaps covering a hole to only let air through one way. Make sure they're laying flat against their seats at rest and that they aren't rusted shut. Checking the rings is easy enough, just look for obvious cracking or gouging and make sure they aren't loose in the bores.

Basic reed valve head. Intake on the right, exhaust on left.

It doesn't look like they even sell it anymore. It is the 240v model of this.

I figured the rings would be easy enough to figure out. And I don't know if I've actually checked that or not....I just haven't bothered to touch it in a few months since it disgusted me.

The valve(s) on mine are still shiny and new, but I only have one. Maybe it works for both exhaust and intake. I suppose it would have to. I was concerned that I got it on upside down, but think I trie it both ways to no avail.

This motivated me to take it apart again. I try to do that later tonight and take some pictures. Thanks for the pointers!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I bought a M18 Milwaukee impact two weeks ago for some upcoming projects. I had sworn that I would never buy a Milwaukee again after the BS warranty on my V18 gear left me with two dead batteries after only a year. I was planning on buying Makita or Bosch, but a deal came up that was just too darn good. My old V18 gear works fine, except the batteries are terrible and the tools weigh a ton. The new M18 stuff is super light and the batteries last much longer. The power is great, the last few weekends I have been building a small shed/car port and we were getting 300+ screws out of one charge. It drove 3 1/2" screws twice as fast as my V18 every could even when new. I am going to go ahead and buy a 1/2 drill to go with it and give the V18 stuff to my dad. One battery works great still, but replacements were 1/2 the cost of my new impact.

As far as the research I have done and personal experience shows:
Low end: Ryobi- works great for the price
Mid range: Dewalt/ Milwaukee
Highend: Bosch/ Makita
Outta your mind: Fein/ Metabo/ Panasonic

Everything nearly is made in China now though, well at least what you will find at the box stores.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 27, 2011

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Speaking of breeaking things: in a pinch, I had to pick up a Stanley 3/8" to 1/2" adapter at Wal-Mart tonight, for use with a breaker bar.

On the fourth use, sheared the drat thing in half. :argh:

I hate adaptors. I use 1/2 14mm hex socket all the time for caliper sliders with a blue point 3/4 gun. The hex socket never breaks (not even impact) but the 3/4 to 1/2 adaptor does. I keep breakin em' and the snap on man replaces em'.

EDIT: i know i should just buy a drat 3/4 14mm socket.

warcake fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 27, 2011

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

warcake posted:

I hate adaptors. I use 1/2 14mm hex socket all the time for caliper sliders with a blue point 3/4 gun. The hex socket never breaks (not even impact) but the 3/4 to 1/2 adaptor does. I keep breakin em' and the snap on man replaces em'.

EDIT: i know i should just buy a drat 3/4 14mm socket.

Do you mean 3/8?

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

RapeWhistle posted:

I vote Makita.

Seconded.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Skyssx posted:

Seconded.

Thrdedededed. I got a Makita LXT set as a wedding present... best wedding present ever.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

sharkytm posted:

Thrdedededed. I got a Makita LXT set as a wedding present... best wedding present ever.
My uncle got my wife and I a fein multimaster :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

sharkytm posted:

After building three decks with my first LXT tool, I bought my sister and BiL the compact impact/drill for their wedding present. Sister shortly after termed the impact driver "best tool EVER!"